What's new

Question of the Week: May 3rd

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
This week's question: Recommend something obscure or underappreciated that you think other TYM users should try/watch/eat/etc.

So, this can be just about anything you'd like to recommend, including food, TV shows, bands, games; anything you like!

I'm going to recommend the podcast, How Did This Get Made. It's these 3 comedians who watch "bad" movies and talk about them, and it's just really entertaining and hilarious. My favorite part is "Second Opinion" where they read Amazon 5-star reviews for these terrible movies. The episode on Hulk Hogan's No Holds Barred remains one of my favorites!

Your turn!

Last edited:
I recommend pants. They're underappreciated, but maintain one's dignity when out and about in public.

However I don't think that's the kind of recommendation you were looking for, so I'll recommend a book. It's called Everything is #@%!ed" by Mark Manson. It's a very interesting look at why people seem so unhappy today, despite society being the most safe, stable, and secure it's ever been.

It's an interesting read, and really goes into understanding societal perspective and why people get so easily offended over things today.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
The Consouls are a quasi-Jazz cover band that mostly does covers of video game music, been active for a while and they still release tracks. They've become one of my most listened to bands.

@Juxtapose I really enjoyed Mark Manson's The subtle art of not-giving a #%%! Good writer!

And my GF has been trying to get me to watch that podcast for like two years robo, maybe I'll check it out for the Hulkster

Shania Twain

That Don't Impress Me Much
Well...there is a show on Netflix simply called "Dark". it's a German show I believe but is very well dubbed in English and maybe other languages too; and of course subtitled. It is probably one of the best ways I've seen time travel portrayed. Mostly a bootstrap paradox and how stuff creates an alternate timeline. The only thing is that you have to really stay invested or you may get confused.

I dunno...I sorta get into all of that weird Twin Peaks, Black Mirror, type stuff.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Man, so many things to recommend, where do I start?

Playing off of what Automaton Constable posted, another great "bad movie podcast" that I really enjoy is The Flop House. Two of the guys were/are writers for The Daily Show, and the other guy owns a bar in New York City called Hinterlands Bar. Just some smart, funny, nerdy guys talking about movies.

I just started watching a YouTube channel called Agadmator's Chess Channel. I'm not super into chess or anything, never tried to learn anything like openers or anything formal, but he does a great job going over some classic games and showing the brilliant moves.

Last recommendation is a YouTube channel called 8 Bit Music Theory. Basically it's a Music Theory nerd who also loves videogames, so he analyses video game soundtracks to explore different music theory concepts. Even if you don't really know anything about reading music or music theory it's still pretty interesting to see some of the concepts explained. He has a great episode where he talks about the music of Castlevania, or why the Zelda theme song is so great.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
If you liked Harry Potter or Chronicles of Narnia, but want a darker, grown up version, try The Magicians from Lev Grossman. The books are great, and there's also a show on Sci Fi network, now available on Netflix, that's also great but goes in a very different but interesting direction from the book.

@Juxtapose I really enjoyed Mark Manson's The subtle art of not-giving a #%%! Good writer!

And my GF has been trying to get me to watch that podcast for like two years robo, maybe I'll check it out for the Hulkster
Very cool. I have yet to read that one, but if it's up to snuff with Everything is #@%!ed, I'd enjoy it.

Revy

★ 19 Years of Jade ★
I added a whole bunch.

Movies
'Best of the Best', it was a family favourite in my house growing up. Great martial arts movie that wasn't really appreciated when it was released & was a box office bomb but I loved it growing up! Eric Roberts, James Earl Jones, Christopher Penn, Sally Kirkland & John Dye what's not to like with great fighting! Also it has two Mortal Kombat trivia: Phillip Rhee auditioned for Liu Kang in MK95 & James Lew played Shang Tsung in Mortal Kombat: Rebirth.

Gaming
One of my favourite games of all time is called Jade Empire, it's the closest thing to BioWare ever doing Mortal Kombat Konquest mode. It's an Action RPG that BioWare made in 2005 that is set in a world based on Chinese mythology of various dynasties. It has the morality system that BioWare is known for since Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic but with a combat system that's real-time. The locations, the music are just incredible & mind blowing to this day to me. There was so much fun stuff to do in the game with so much replayability depending on your choices, weapon styles, martial art styles, romance & so on. There's a rip-off of the arcade game 1942 in it too. The greatest thing it's hilarious & doesn't take itself so seriously. It has famous actors in it like Nathan Fillion (Castle, Firefly & I met him once, very charming in person), Armin Shimerman (Star Trek: DS9, Buffy & BioShock) & the legendary John Cleese. The game is playable on every generation of Xbox, mobile (I have it on my iPhone, harder experience), PC & macOS.

Food

During a time where takeout places are struggling order some Pad Krapow Moo Sap with some Sai Krok Isan & sriracha from your local Thai restaurant with some Pad See Ew & two bottles of Coke. Fucking godlike.

Music

When I would join public King of the Hills in MK9 & MKX, if the king had a big streak I'd listen to epic metal songs during my turn to hype me up & make it feel like an epic anime fight & play to the speed. When I used play I had two sets of headphones, one for the game so I can hear hit confirms & a second for music. One of my favourite songs I'd listen to is Rising Force by Yngwie Malmsteen's Rising Force from 1988 with Joe Lynn Turner on vocals.

TV

One of my favourite shows that was massively underrated is simply called Chuck. It's a comedy action drama with great fight scenes, killing, gun play, badassary, romance & drama with a great cast of characters & guest stars. It stars Zachary Levi (Shazam), Yvonne Strahovski (Dexter, The Handmaid's Tale, Mass Effect 2) & Adam Baldwin (Firefly, Full Metal Jacket & I met him once he's a nice guy). Not a lot of people watched it, it relied a lot on sponsorships from Toyota & Subway for it to last 5 seasons & I watch it from time to time since I own Seasons 1-4 on DVD. It's a great show, Season 2 is when it starts to get really good until you reach Season 5 which is the worst season. Give it a shot!

NaCl man

Welcome to Akihabara
I added a whole bunch.

Movies
'Best of the Best', it was a family favourite in my house growing up. Great martial arts movie that wasn't really appreciated when it was released & was a box office bomb but I loved it growing up! Eric Roberts, James Earl Jones, Christopher Penn, Sally Kirkland & John Dye what's not to like with great fighting! Also it has two Mortal Kombat trivia: Phillip Rhee auditioned for Liu Kang in MK95 & James Lew played Shang Tsung in Mortal Kombat: Rebirth.

Gaming
One of my favourite games of all time is called Jade Empire, it's the closest thing to BioWare ever doing Mortal Kombat Konquest mode. It's an Action RPG that BioWare made in 2005 that is set in a world based on Chinese mythology of various dynasties. It has the morality system that BioWare is known for since Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic but with a combat system that's real-time. The locations, the music are just incredible & mind blowing to this day to me. There was so much fun stuff to do in the game with so much replayability depending on your choices, weapon styles, martial art styles, romance & so on. There's a rip-off of the arcade game 1942 in it too. The greatest thing it's hilarious & doesn't take itself so seriously. It has famous actors in it like Nathan Fillion (Castle, Firefly & I met him once, very charming in person), Armin Shimerman (Star Trek: DS9, Buffy & BioShock) & the legendary John Cleese. The game is playable on every generation of Xbox, mobile (I have it on my iPhone, harder experience), PC & macOS.

Food

During a time where takeout places are struggling order some Pad Krapow Moo Sap with some Sai Krok Isan & sriracha from your local Thai restaurant with some Pad See Ew & two bottles of Coke. Fucking godlike.

Music

When I would join public King of the Hills in MK9 & MKX, if the king had a big streak I'd listen to epic metal songs during my turn to hype me up & make it feel like an epic anime fight & play to the speed. When I used play I had two sets of headphones, one for the game so I can hear hit confirms & a second for music. One of my favourite songs I'd listen to is Rising Force by Yngwie Malmsteen's Rising Force from 1988 with Joe Lynn Turner on vocals.

TV

One of my favourite shows that was massively underrated is simply called Chuck. It's a comedy action drama with great fight scenes, killing, gun play, badassary, romance & drama with a great cast of characters & guest stars. It stars Zachary Levi (Shazam), Yvonne Strahovski (Dexter, The Handmaid's Tale, Mass Effect 2) & Adam Baldwin (Firefly, Full Metal Jacket & I met him once he's a nice guy). Not a lot of people watched it, it relied a lot on sponsorships from Toyota & Subway for it to last 5 seasons

Best of the best was sick. Still wish he super kicked that eyepatch dude.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
This week's question: Recommend something obscure or underappreciated that you think other TYM users should try/watch/eat/etc.
Sushi probably.
A lot of people think it's "raw fish".
They either have yet to visit a real japanese restaurant or just read.

Revy

★ 19 Years of Jade ★
Best of the best was sick. Still wish he super kicked that eyepatch dude.
Yeah it would have a great ending if Team USA won in the clutch by kicking Dae Han in the face but the ending of Team Korea giving their medals up along with Dae Han's speech to Tommy is powerful. Dae Han returns in the second movie & is hilarious in it but Best of the Best 3 & 4 are just generic action movies with Tommy as the sole returning character, not exactly good in comparison of the first two with a lot of retcon.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I watched Dredd 2012 again last night. It's been a really fun movie for the first 2-3 viewings, although seeing it a 4th time the holes really start to shine through. So if you just want to turn your brain off and watch a solid action movie that has style oozing out of it, Dredd 2012 is great.

Revy

★ 19 Years of Jade ★
I always wanted to try that game. I loved KOTOR.
You're missing out. As much as I love KOTOR, I think Jade Empire is better as it has some of the same elements as KOTOR like the Taris Dueling Ring which they turned into the Imperial Arena (which they brought back as Orzammar Provings in 2010 in Dragon Age Origins).

It's combat is what fascinates me as the fighting (when done properly) is like the 3D MKs of that era where you can use 3 different martial arts into a single combo but in Jade Empire it’s 4 but at a unique camera point or view.

You're missing out. As much as I love KOTOR, I think Jade Empire is better as it has some of the same elements as KOTOR like the Taris Dueling Ring which they turned into the Imperial Arena (which they brought back as Orzammar Provings in 2010 in Dragon Age Origins).

It's combat is what fascinates me as the fighting (when done properly) is like the 3D MKs of that era where you can use 3 different martial arts into a single combo but in Jade Empire it’s 4 but at a unique camera point or view.
Both Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, and Jade Empire are fantastic games. Jade Empire really is the closest thing we've got to a Mortal Kombat RPG, with so many of the characters feeling like Mortal Kombat characters:

• The protagonist is Liu Kang
  • Master Li is Shang Tsung
  • Sagacious Zu is Hanzo Hasashi
  • Silk Fox is Kitana
  • Death's Hand is Shao Kahn
  • Hen Pecked Ho is Bo Rai'Cho
  • Sky is Johnny Cage
  • The Water Dragon is an Elder God
Those were the most recognizable to me.