What's new

Question for Mileena Stans...

I was reading some thoughts on the whole Sindel retcon fiasco and it made me wonder about something...

For those that want Mileena added to this game, would you be happy with her inclusion if the following were true:

1. It was not the same Mileena, nor an alternate timeline Mileena, but in fact, another clone of Kitana.
  2. In contrast to the first Kitana clone (first Mileena) this time the clone is a perfect 1:1 copy in physical appearance.
  3. This new Mileena would retain all of her Tarkatan savagery, without the gnarly fangs, as it’s reasonable to assume that she could be genetically engineered to have Tarkatan instincts, without the physical appearance of one.
  4. Having been raised by Shao Kahn (and subsequently Sindel) in secret, and having her Edenian genetics even further suppressed, she would still be a totally hardcore evil bitch, but perhaps not have the vague jealousy of Kitana that’s been shown before.
Maybe NRS could go so far as to have alternate skins with the original appearance, as I’m sure they would, but this would hypothetically be her default appearance. What do ya’ think?

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
I feel like Mileena's whole character and/or appeal is that she's a beautiful woman with a tarkatan mouth. Take that away, and she's nothing.
This, really.
What I loved about her was her rivalry with Kitana and how she strived to become her equal/superiour. Her story in MKD where she actually replaced Kitana, taking the throne of Edenia and lead the army who she fooled into believing she was Kitana... SO GOOD!

In the new timeline they don't really have anything to do with each other, and in MKX they didn't interact at all, which was so disappointing, though I did indeed like the Outworld Civil War side-story and how Mileena got the Edenians on her side against Kotal.

I always thought that replacing Mileena with another clone was just silly and takes a lot away from her as a character, because it kinda states that she's easily replacable and doesn't really matter as a character at all. She is unique in her imperfections, which is kinda incredible considering she is an actual clone of Kitana, but the differences is what makes her Mileena!

Also, fuck the Sindel retcon.

Edmund

Kitana & Skarlet
I think that you can bring back a character with a different story, but bringing them back without what their known for doesn’t usually bode well with fans. That being said, I’d be interested to see mileena return using her other clones in sort of a variation or some other experimental mileena

Also, please keep in mind that this is not something I’m saying I’d want, I just kinda’ had the idea come to me while trying to imagine how Mileena could be in this game if NRS approached her with the Sindel treatment.

Zviko

Noob
2. Lore wise, isn't she's supposed to be a perfect copy in physical appearance anyway, apart from Tarkatan teeth? In Conquest TV series she was even completely identical for a while with the help of Shao Kahn's spell.

The Ultimate

aka CommandThrower
That statement is bold AF. Essentially saying that she has zero character beyond her physical appearance? Damn. I bet you make a great partner in relationships. Lol
Let's not pretend like the tarkatan mouth isn't a huge part of her character. If it was taken away, many people would be angry. Without the tarkatan mouth, she's just Mirror Universe Kitana, and that's kind of boring. Taking away her tarkatan mouth would create another Reptile situation; there are far more people who like "human" Reptile, instead of "reptile" Reptile.

Fighting game characters are their aesthetics, and that applies to most video game characters in general. As a reminder, at one point and time, this was Bomberman.

It didn't go over well.

I was reading some thoughts on the whole Sindel retcon fiasco and it made me wonder about something...

For those that want Mileena added to this game, would you be happy with her inclusion if the following were true:

1. It was not the same Mileena, nor an alternate timeline Mileena, but in fact, another clone of Kitana.
  2. In contrast to the first Kitana clone (first Mileena) this time the clone is a perfect 1:1 copy in physical appearance.
  3. This new Mileena would retain all of her Tarkatan savagery, without the gnarly fangs, as it’s reasonable to assume that she could be genetically engineered to have Tarkatan instincts, without the physical appearance of one.
  4. Having been raised by Shao Kahn (and subsequently Sindel) in secret, and having her Edenian genetics even further suppressed, she would still be a totally hardcore evil bitch, but perhaps not have the vague jealousy of Kitana that’s been shown before.
Maybe NRS could go so far as to have alternate skins with the original appearance, as I’m sure they would, but this would hypothetically be her default appearance. What do ya’ think?
I don't know what a "Stan" is, but as a fan of the character, if she were included as a DLC character, I'd have no issues with the above.

Having said that, I'm not holding my breath at all for her to be playable in this game.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
I feel like Mileena's whole character and/or appeal is that she's a beautiful woman with a tarkatan mouth. Take that away, and she's nothing.

That would be like if you brought Sindel back, but she's bald.
Eh, I'm no super fan of Mileena but she is definitely more than just a broad with a scary mouth. She has actual personality and is a legacy character with an interesting moveset. If you don't think 99% of the MK fanbase would rather have Mileena than Jacqui or Cassie, you're nuts.

Mileena fans are morons, though....so I hope they don't add her just to cater to them.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
I'm a big fan of Mileena, but agree, that she is very one dimensional, and very very poor written in both games (MK9 and MKX) .... they did very lazy to make her relevant, you always see that they put much more attention and work better on Kitana than Mileena, Kitana is a very important character for the franchise, but it's sad seeing her major rival, being treated so badly and most like a leftover supporting character, so, if something, is totally and only NRS fault if Mileena was presented as a very limited and stupid childish character in both past games :mad:

however, is up to NRS, to try to improve her character, and so, in MK12, where I believe she (Mileena) will come back, they, NRS maybe put some minor effort to improve her background, who knows ? or perhaps not; in the end, it's all their decision give a shit or not to improve a character lore inside the franchise .....

I like Mileena ,her probable potential, this "beauty and beast" mixed up stuff, her ambitious greed, and her sassy crazy bitch attitude, but NRS can make her work better as main character if they want, that's for sure !

And people can be calm down, her trademark , the tarkatan shark-like jaws, will never be out, it's what define her character, her ferocious approach, so, will never be absent of her appearance, never ! What they can do, it's modernize her look, using imagination to present her and her tarkatans traits, in a way that is not that disgusting to watch, hehe, it's a challenge for NRS each new game , so, let's see what happens in future ! :p

xenogorgeous

@xenogorgeous Did you ever read the Mortal Kombat X comics? That (primarily), combined with the game's story, she actually had excellent character development.
that's the problem, the comics, sometimes had more interesting content and good cool stuff than the game story mode itself .... the MKX comics are ok, but the story on MKX game, pretty lackluster in some parts

my critics were for her part in the story mode only ..... in MK9 , Mileena is pure mediocre and average as character, with none real weight impact in the story development ..... and in MKX, well, she appears and take part a bit more, but, IMO, her participation is sort of kinda forgettable and weak for the main story plot, so, you never feel that she was really a big threat or a force to be recognize , so, it's a joke.

And so, they picked a newcomer like D'vorah, to kill her, so a clear message from NRS that, in their opinion, Mileena is so expendable and is not important for the game lore flow, that they resolved to fuck her up totally and trash her in MK11, so much that even the excuse of time travel was not enough to bring her back to life, haha :rolleyes:

anyway, past is past, and MK11 is not the place that will fix that, so, let's see what happens in the next major MK game, in some years from now in future, hehe :D

Last edited:
that's the problem, the comics, sometimes had more interesting content and good cool stuff than the game story mode itself .... the MKX comics are ok, but the story on MKX game, pretty lackluster in some parts

my critics was for her part in the story mode only ..... in MK9 , Mileena is pure mediocre and average as character, with none real weight impact in the story development ..... and in MKX, well, she appears and take part a bit more, but, IMO, her participation is sort of kinda forgettable and weak for the main story plot, so, you never feel that she was really a big threat or a force to be recognize , so, it's a joke.

And so, they picked a newcomer like D'vorah, to kill her, so a clear message from NRS that, in their opinion, Mileena is so expendable and is not important for the game lore flow, that they resolved to fuck her up totally and trash her in MK11, so much that even the excuse of time travel was not enough to bring her back to life, haha :rolleyes:

anyway, past is past, and MK11 is not the place that will fix that, so, let's see what happens in the next major MK game, in some years from now in future, hehe :D
Well, in Mortal Kombat (2011), she was newly awakened about midway through the game, and she was extremely immature and inexperienced (which made her appear crazy).

She inherited the throne of Outworld after that game, and we don't know much about her rule save that she was called the "Mad Empress," but we never see why. The very brief times, in-game and in comic, that we see her during this time she sure doesn't seem crazy at all.

By the time of the main Comic and Mortal Kombat X game storyline, it's 25 years later and she's now a rebel leader who is so successful and such a concern that Kotal needs Earthrealm's help to take her down (first working with Kano, and then ultimately the Special Forces). She also seems to have realized not to take position and even people for granted. Not only does she lead her force of Tarkata, but she seems to have managed to convince Edenians to side with her, a race that logically should be opposed to her since she champions Shao Kahn's mentality and tarkata, the one's the conquered them!

We also see in the comics that while ambitious and, to a degree, ruthless, she's not 100% confident in herself at first until she ultimately becomes sick of everyone betraying her, and you can see that actually hurts her.

When she's finally captured by D'Vorah, Kotal, who hates her completely, has D'Vorah execute her as an insult and a prompting of his station over Mileena. Keep in mind, in the original timeline, she dies in Mortal Kombat II, the game she first appears in. I wouldn't read too much into negative motives by NetherRealm Studios here.

For character development, we're not talking Shakespeare here, but I actually think through Mortal Kombat X, she's one of the most developed and interesting characters. She starts off pretty immature and crazy, and we essentially watch her "grow up."

I agree though, the comics overall are okay, not spectacular (there's some good plot holes), and the Mortal Kombat X story is the lesser of the reboot trilogy.

xenogorgeous

Well, in Mortal Kombat (2011), she was newly awakened about midway through the game, and she was extremely immature and inexperienced (which made her appear crazy).

She inherited the throne of Outworld after that game, and we don't know much about her rule save that she was called the "Mad Empress," but we never see why. The very brief times, in-game and in comic, that we see her during this time she sure doesn't seem crazy at all.

By the time of the main Comic and Mortal Kombat X game storyline, it's 25 years later and she's now a rebel leader who is so successful and such a concern that Kotal needs Earthrealm's help to take her down (first working with Kano, and then ultimately the Special Forces). She also seems to have realized not to take position and even people for granted. Not only does she lead her force of Tarkata, but she seems to have managed to convince Edenians to side with her, a race that logically should be opposed to her since she champions Shao Kahn's mentality and tarkata, the one's the conquered them!

We also see in the comics that while ambitious and, to a degree, ruthless, she's not 100% confident in herself at first until she ultimately becomes sick of everyone betraying her, and you can see that actually hurts her.

When she's finally captured by D'Vorah, Kotal, who hates her completely, has D'Vorah execute her as an insult and a prompting of his station over Mileena. Keep in mind, in the original timeline, she dies in Mortal Kombat II, the game she first appears in. I wouldn't read too much into negative motives by NetherRealm Studios here.

For character development, we're not talking Shakespeare here, but I actually think through Mortal Kombat X, she's one of the most developed and interesting characters. She starts off pretty immature and crazy, and we essentially watch her "grow up."

I agree though, the comics overall are okay, not spectacular (there's some good plot holes), and the Mortal Kombat X story is the lesser of the reboot trilogy.

:)

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter
I thought there was an opertunity missed in MKX to make her an ok ruler (neither good or bad), but just bat shit crazy and that Kotal basically just wanted power. It would have made her a little more three dimensional rather than just a simple evil character.