What's new

Question about USub

Is Unmasked Sub-Zero really ranked 15 in UMK3?

I figured with all the great people playing as him he'd be ranked higher.

Is it because he takes more skill to use effectively then the higher tier
characters like Human Smoke and Kabal?

Just wondering

I find him easy to use. I dunno, I dont live my UMK3 life by the "official rankings" of each character. I can can kick ass and take names with certain characters, their rankings dont matter.

dreemernj

Ambassador
U Sub is good against characters like Kabal. Against Kabal his rank would be a lot higher than 15. He can be really defensive, but it takes some getting used to to do it well.

The rankings are just guidelines for overall potential in a situation where both players are equal. U Sub's unique abilities mean he is more or less effective depending on who you play against. Nobody should live by the rankings. You'll be able to figure out who you are good with.

Perhaps if he still had the effects from his iceclone from MK3, he would be a top tier character, but alas he doesn't. I still find him very fun to play with and give a lot of people who pick higher tier characters a good run for their money. :lol:

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
The problem vs Sub is, you cannot play as someone like Kabal, or Nightwolf the same way you would against most other characters, even though they are still better than he is. It requires 10 times more effort from Sub-zero to beat Kabal than it does with someone like Reptile, but a character like Sheeva doesn't stand a chance at all. Sub's moves happen to create a style for him that counters rush down very well. If he could do more damage, he'd be higher. Say for instance his 6 hit combo did 30% for us like it does for the computer, that would mean 40% if you're frozen. Also his juggling is limited outside of the corner, and even there his delayed RH makes good combos hard to come by. Fortunately, a 50% counter is possible in the corner.

Yea he has weak Combos also, One of the reasons I Rank him lower. He is a special Use character, but in the right hands extremely deadly.

abc ur dead0 said:
Yea he has weak Combos also, One of the reasons I Rank him lower. He is a special Use character, but in the right hands extremely deadly.
Yeah he does have weak combos, but 1/3 off your health bar if your frozen isn't too shabby IMO.

XL

Noob
His combos may be weak, but those anti-air freezing counters are painful to take.

I atleast think he should be up a spot on the tier list. He's a much better character overall than Scorpion is.

I like to think that i'm preety good as him but I seem to be losing my touch. Ever since I've started to learn some other characters I just haven't been winning as much with him. Is there a reason why the combo damage is higher on the CPU or is it just a bug?

XL said:
His combos may be weak, but those anti-air freezing counters are painful to take.

I atleast think he should be up a spot on the tier list. He's a much better character overall than Scorpion is.
Agreed.

DAVE101 said:
Scorpion can easily do over 50% with a punnisher or any AA situation really.
Overall, Usub is a better character IMO. Yea, U sub has weak combos, but they are still great.

Scorp is a H smoke in a Wheelchair. Sub is his own character, and Much better as a whole.

Ah, but Scorpion can still score as much damage as him with damage protection free setups. You may have heard of "two mistakes and your dead" with human smoke. Same with Scorpion. aaHPHP, JK, TP, spear, 4 hit autocombo, more than 50%, easy combo, works on pretty much everyone. It's just his containment doesn't lead to anything like it does for h-smoke or sub-zero, that's what brings him down. (right?)

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Dave, the two mistakes and you're dead rule applies comprehensively. Scorpion is limited when starting a combo on the ground. Basically when you look at his 51% counter, that is only usable vs punishable moves, and very well timed jump ins. I have gotten Jax players with aaHPHP JK, teleport punch as Human Smoke on a simple jump in counter, but this is a very special case.

When looking at the actual mistakes, as in close kombat situations, landing into harpoons, etc, Human Smoke can still beat anyone with two combos where Scorpion would need 4 or 5. Getting caught in a punishment mode situation is something that rarely applies to the best of the best. Something that bothers me about Kaillera players is the number of times someone who thinks they are God does a punishable attack, and then doesn't get punished due to lag. It's terrible.

Basically I don't apply punishment mode situations to it because it's a different kind of mistake. If that were the case, Mileena would "Two mistakes and you're dead" vs several characters because she has a 50% counter, so does Kitana and moreso, and then Ermac and Sindel are more like 1 mistake and some chip damage and you're dead.

Basically, the most crucial mistakes in high level play are made in close range, which is a big part of the reason why Kabal, Human Smoke and Nightwolf are so effective.

If thats the case then still, why isn't Sub above Scorpion? Sub hasa a great punisher as well. Block, Freeze, aahp, Freeze, aahp, hp, Jk, and Sometimes a Slide for 43%, or even without for 35%. Not bad, 3 mistakes and your gone(on a punisher) Its pretty Much 3 mistakes and your gone period. Sub has great containment, the 2nd fastest slide in the game and the ice clone is a beast. 3 Mistakes and your Gone PERIOD. Vs Scorps 4 or 5 off the ground, and 2 Punishes if your lucky.

I would Switch Him and Scorp, but thats me.

The fact of the matter is it's pretty much two mistakes and your done for any character. 43% and 35% are pretty low for aa combos, but that's not what would put him over over scorp anyway. A lot of people are better with unmasked sub than with scorpion, this list isn't printed in stone you know (well the bottom half anyways).