What's new

Question about Robot Smoke combo.

I was mucking around with Robot Smoke in arcade, using 2 controllers, trying to pull off some of his bigger combos.

I didn't have much trouble, aside from the ones that required "aaJK, Spear" or "JK, Spear". I managed to get it to connect a couple of times, but it was generally unreliable. Any advice?

The combo I was trying was "Teleport Uppercut, JK, Spear, HP, HP, LK, HK, LP". Any help would be great, thanks.

Birkin

Noob
Uhm, I don't think you can get that on any but the male ninjas and other big characters, so don't try to do it vs a robot or under. The timing for the combo you're trying to perform is quite difficult, I don't even try it during matches because the risk of failure is too much, since you have to be very precise and jump right after the TP (as soon as you hit the ground) and jump kick at the same time... meaning you have to JK and Jump at the same time and then throw the spear as soon as you hit the ground a second time.

I recommend you do the 51% that works on every character (TP, run in and and cancel a HP into a JK Airthrow). It's much easier to do too. If you really want to get that 56% combo, you'll have to practice hard. Good luck and I hope I helped.

Birkin said:
Uhm, I don't think you can get that on any but the male ninjas and other big characters, so don't try to do it vs a robot or under. The timing for the combo you're trying to perform is quite difficult, I don't even try it during matches because the risk of failure is too much, since you have to be very precise and jump right after the TP (as soon as you hit the ground) and jump kick at the same time... meaning you have to JK and Jump at the same time and then throw the spear as soon as you hit the ground a second time.

I recommend you do the 51% that works on every character (TP, run in and and cancel a HP into a JK Airthrow). It's much easier to do too. If you really want to get that 56% combo, you'll have to practice hard. Good luck and I hope I helped.
Yes, somewhat, I realized it was hard to do, and assumed it only worked on some characters, I think I will just try to practice it until I can get it at least 80% of the time. Also, the other combo you mentioned is pretty much the one I was using. Thanks on the timing tips though, I'll try them out later.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
You are going to want the TPU to hit them while they are in the air to get that JK spear. It'll work on a number of the bigger characters, but simply doing TPU while they are on the ground, to JK, spear, isn't going to work. The best scenario for it is off an aaHP but sometimes you can connect a quickly canceled aaJK to a TPU, similar to aaJK, TP, aaLP spear with Scorpion.

The only way I've ever gotten it was the way Shock said, where Jax, or whoever was in the air when I hit the TU. Even then it's really tough to pull off. I don't think it's worth the risk, unless you're sort of near the corner (or especially right in the corner)

I sort of think of it the same way as human smoke's extra HP before the JK-air throw. You really only need to pull off the easy version of the combo twice to end the round, so risking it for an extra 1 or 2% doesn't really make sense, unless it's needed to finish them off. I don't know, I guess I just play it safe.

Birkin

Noob
You can't compare H.Smokes' extra HP to R.Smokes' JK - Spear. Since the extra HP into JK - Throw is much easier to do with enough practice.

Shock said:
You are going to want the TPU to hit them while they are in the air to get that JK spear. It'll work on a number of the bigger characters, but simply doing TPU while they are on the ground, to JK, spear, isn't going to work. The best scenario for it is off an aaHP but sometimes you can connect a quickly canceled aaJK to a TPU, similar to aaJK, TP, aaLP spear with Scorpion.
Once again, thanks for the help. I managed to do a grounded one on Jax, but I only did it twice or so... out of 30 tries. So I'm going to assume your way will be more successful. I'll give that a try the next time I'm on.