What's new

Quan Tactics

hjs-Q

Noob
So is anybody using him?

I find him to be quite tricky but overall solid.

Mid screen his b,f+3 is only punishable by really fast charge moves (raiden...) so against most characters, it's fine. His teleport is great for pressure and punishing projectiles.
1,1 is for jabs.
The skull projectile is really nice, travels very fast.
b+3,1+2 also seems safe online, follow that, with b,f+3 b+2,1 2,1,4. You can go for more hits but timing is tricky online.
For AA you can use teleport or b,f+3 but teleport is more consistent.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
b+3,1+2 also seems safe
Fixed that little line for you. :)

Also, Quan looks pretty defensive. Trance and ground bursts make good moves to check opponents with. That said, he starts to fall short when you realize how unsafe he has to be to do anything. Not a good thing for a defensive character.

R.E.L.

Noob
I haven't had the chance to mess with him TOO much yet (15 mins in training and a few matches), but Quan has some really good things that I like about him...namely

1) His teleport
2) He has decent mixup options - some of which are safe on block
3) His EX trance move takes away 1 bar of your opponent's meter
4) He has a decent projectile.
5) You can combo into his Xray, even though it only hits high.
6) Ground projectile is good, and its EX is better (you can combo off it I think?)

I agree with THTB. I wouldn't say he's a terrible character either, he just requires you to know the game very well and character matchups. I wouldn't main Quan chi until I was 100% confident I could play any other character in the game right now, namely because he loses to so much and you really can't turtle.

I

Graveyard

Superb
I really like quan chi right now but I think he needs a damage buff... I can easymode an easy 35% using no meter with nightwolf but quan chi is a little harder so far. I like him allot though.

an example of a cool easy Bnb I came up with 1-1-2,trance, b2-1, dash, 2-1, skull. 28% I think.

edit: a great thing about quan is that trance hits in the air and has really good range great for easy teleport punish x-ray setups..

FiNAL-LiFe-G

*DEMON MODE*
I am an idiot, he does not need a damage buff at all.
lol, Naaw he don't need damage buff. He can boost himself up! making his kombos stronger and he can also regenerate his health, but fills up in chips. Still useful though. I'm thinking about making him my Secondary

LordxMugen

FIGHTAN GAHMS!!!
well i was playing in ladder a few minutes ago (stupid PSN outage) and just found that when you use trance AFTER your opponent throws a projectile at you (i did this from about mid screen), youll still get them tranced BUT NOW you can use skeletal boost immediately for a massive damage combo. im sure yall already know this (i already know trance versus projectile is an auto win for Quan Chi) but i didnt know id get free boost out of it and not sure any of yall did either (hence the reason for the post). not sure if it makes him any better but i wanted to pass it along anyway.
+

Edit: ugh, still doesnt work for the Reptile ball matchup (training mode sucks for stuff like this.), and thats a matchup where this instance would be very benefinicial to my game.

I$AAC

Noob
ok Things of note:

Quan Chi has one of the fastest sweeps and uppercuts in this game. His uppercut has Johnny cage-like Priority (I was beating Jumpins all day with this, so either it's good or I'm extremely lucky)

One of the keys to Quan Chi is TO BUILD METER FOR UNBLOCKABLE RUNES!! if you do 2,1 xx ex Rune you'll get 13% damage on block! This is key for maximizing your damage output. For example if you do can do b+3, 1+2, 112 xx trance, 11 xx telestomp, it will net you 26% plus stagger, add up the unblockable rune setup (13%) now your combo did 39% off of one bar AND the rune will put them in stagger state. Therefore you can follow up with anything you like as well as repeat the rune trap. if you have full meter you can take at least 39% (13% x 3) off the rune trap alone.

ok it's late and i'm going back to sleep.

good shit. I gotta try to work rune traps into my game

How do you test to see if you've discovered a real trap? Do you use the 2p controller while you're performing the trap in training?

New to this forum, been in the lab working on the noob vs quan chi match up i think trading with his wake up options or his shadow run is definitely in quan chi favour im not too sure if you can trade vs other projectiles like subzero's, but you get too damage or health boost and you can combo another trance bnb

Smoo

Noob
I'm all about Quan Chi! He's my main right now and I'm practicing him exclusively. I figure if he's as bad as some of you seem to be saying then I'll be able to play that much better with a more effective character after all this practice. Regardless, I love him and I'm not that concerned about how good he is or isn't because I think he's fun and cool.

Tactics I'm working on (I'll try to avoid combo talk):

For combos I'm using a starter, either (B+3, 1+2) or (1,1,2). Which to use depends on whether you want to start high or low. (B+3, 1+2) is excellent because I think it's hard for the opponent to block both hits (high then mid) giving you a good chance of breaking their block. I continue the combo, and from trance I either do (B+1, 1, DF1) for style or (1,1,teleport) to stagger them.

I'm trying to work in the stagger state because it looks like there's potential there for creating easier openings on the opponent. Landing a teleport puts them in stagger state, so from there it looks like they have to guess on whether I'll go high or low, making a second long combo likely!

I need to start practicing hitting the EX trance rather than regular trance. A friend I play with often seems to get frustrated at being in the trance and breaks my combos from there, so I would love to nail the EX trance in the combo to reduce his meter. I juts forget to because I practiced and learned the combo using the regular trance and forget to bump it up to the EX version out of habit.

I also want to practice checking the opponent with ground bursts a bit better and using the teleport more effectively, but practice is already paying off and Quan Chi is a blast!

Bonus story: my friend Jon and I were playing a tag match against each other. Jon's first fighter (let's say Kano) has a sliver of life left and he's across the screen. I input DBF1+block for the EX long range blast. Quan Chi stands up, points his finger commandingly at the ground and yells "BUH DEH!" or whatever hilarious nonsense he says and Kano gets knocked out of the park. I laughed so hard I could barely finish the match. Quan Chi is so rad :)