What's new

Strategy - Warlock Quan Chi Warlock Variation Discussion Thread

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
I have seen most of my success with Quan Chi in this variation.

I like that I know what they're going to do because Quan's hitboxes cover everywhere, but most of them aren't immediate.

Ray'sGoodLiquor

I don't care I'm not a competitive player anymore
I hope at some point they tighten up the hitbox on portal grab and F3. It's irritating as fuck when the opponent uses a normal that moves them forward just slightly making F3 whiff.

Ninja-x1

Check me out doe
I prefer this variation out of all 3. He just has all the necessary tools for my play style. F3 is good for anti-zoning

ImmortalSkillit

SteeevRay
I'll be playing Warlock Quan at TCW next weekend. Looking forward to sharing everything i've learned, and hopefully turning a few heads. The SoVa region is full of great players, so its been a rocky start so far in terms of tournament victories, but i'm confident i'll be able to hold my own, and pending pool placement, make a nice "splash". :DOGE

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
When playing Warlock what's the gameplan usually? I mean he can't zone like Summoner or Sorce. He has the mix up game but it cost meter to do so so you gotta commit with. So what strats have you guys found?

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
let's say that the portal grab gets buffed making it create the same 50/50 situation as the enchanced one, but without the need of meter. do you guys think that warlock would become over powered that way? and if the range would be drastically reduced?

Da Tac0

GT: C88 Taco
I have the hardest time knowing when to pull the trigger with quan. I got outzoned by balanced Kenshi. Id block and counter with far rune but he would block and counter. Not sure what I should've done different. I tried throwing out f3 but had no success and portal grab wasn't doing the trick neither. Another problem I have is mix ups. I wanna incorporate f2122 but hell I only have success with that when I punish. So I'm relying on b2 and b324. I've conditioned myself to be in your face at all times but its so hard to do. Another thing is poking. Do you all use d1 or d3? Plus is the best follow up b2?

ImmortalSkillit

SteeevRay
When playing Warlock what's the gameplan usually? I mean he can't zone like Summoner or Sorce. He has the mix up game but it cost meter to do so so you gotta commit with. So what strats have you guys found?
You pretty much nailed it IMO. Warlock Quan is all about Portal Stab resets (Costs Meter), has a great wake up/low with Portal Scoop (Costs Meter) and his only sorta save special cancel is enhanced Rune, which of course also uses meter. Add in needing meter for breakers and what we're left with is a guy who can really open up folks who can't block well, but struggles against great blockers and those who can apply constant pressure. His meter need is just too strong in this variation for majority of his weapons to be readily available.

I have the hardest time knowing when to pull the trigger with quan. I got outzoned by balanced Kenshi. Id block and counter with far rune but he would block and counter. Not sure what I should've done different. I tried throwing out f3 but had no success and portal grab wasn't doing the trick neither. Another problem I have is mix ups. I wanna incorporate f2122 but hell I only have success with that when I punish. So I'm relying on b2 and b324. I've conditioned myself to be in your face at all times but its so hard to do. Another thing is poking. Do you all use d1 or d3? Plus is the best follow up b2?
D3 is the better poke. Lowers Quan quite a bit and it even anti airs into trance quite nicely. You can follow up B2 with either Trance (full punish on block) enhanced rune (safe-ish, can still get poked or hit by fast attacks, not sure how many frames exactly, yolo) and portal scoop (also full punish on block) I'd say that scoop would be ideal, but most players are conditioned enough now to block low after B2 due to enhanced rune usually following that the scoop will likely get blocked anyways. TL;DR I'd just follow it with enhanced rune. It hits more often than you'd expect, and leads to good damage. If they block b2 ~ en. rune, you can try and follow up with another B2, or you can D3 them one or twice, then try and come back in with the overhead. After you condition them to watch out for the B2 follow up, you can then start using B32(4) after enhanced rune to change things up a bit. Keep in mind all of his strings are unsafe unless you cancel with enhanced rune, so beware. (also, grabbing afterwards has mild success)

F3 is fun. I like keeping it a "secret" and using it to close out rounds (its a meaty 10%) Its also great against those who wanna walk backwards against you. Beware using it against rush down characters, since walking forwards and/or running leaves you wide open. Use it once, if it hits, consider using it again to keep em honest, then leave it alone. Using it to close out rounds is just great though, that "ugh" that the opponent lets out next to you when you close out a round/match with F3 is worth it. Also, IMO, portal grab should be left alone and used only as a combo ender, both grab/stab. Midscreen its unsafe, and even if it hits, its really not much help to you.

My strat lately has been to keep just outside of jump range and AA with D3-Trance or NJP (Quan probably has the best in the game). Hang onto meter as much as you can, and unless its going to cost you the round, i'd suggest avoiding breaking. Also, IMO Quan has quite an intimidating run game, don't opt out taking a time or two each round/match to run straight in on them. Most of the time the opponent will stand block you, leaving them open for a grab or B324/B2 mixup. Once you're in, just try your damnedest to keep pressure up. And use wake up portal scoop wisely. I lost last night to a cassie cage player at our local casuals who was brilliant at reading my wake up scoops and punishing accordingly.

I think the only thing left to say is Good Luck! Warlock Quan is an honest character, you'll earn what you work for.

Da Tac0

Yeah I just started him last Sunday. Thanks for the advice. I main MoS ermac and quan is a huge change of pace.

ImmortalSkillit

SteeevRay
Stick with him, its a good feeling when you pull out a win with Warlock, because you know that you did it without any crazy gimmicks or tomfoolery. If you're looking to be serious with him though, i'd highly recommend Summoner. I'll always play Warlock, but i'm making the switch after TCW tomorrow.

Da Tac0

I know what you mean. I always feel accomplished when I get a w with him. I fought a tempest kung Lao earlier and edged out a w. Felt better than gutting him ermac.

Da Tac0

I'm really using him to have as a good secondary. I'm going to my first local tourny on the 22nd and I don't want people to read my habits with ermac. I really thinking using a warlock quan is quite the curve ball.

ImmortalSkillit

SteeevRay
It is, though it doesn't take long for the better players to pick it up. Like I mentioned, once my opponent learned to NJP me or block low on wake up, my warlock-exclusive perks disappeared pretty quickly. Its unfortunate that both his overhead and low strings are super unsafe, otherwise I wouldn't be switching to Summoner, but its fair.

Da Tac0

Yeah I've came across a few who've read me like a book. I lose a lot more than I win with right now. A few days ago I would just get murdered but now my loses are least competitive.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
Can we talk about how TCW commentators knew literally nothing about why this variation is good?

It's more than a wake up attack.

ImmortalSkillit

SteeevRay
To be honest, i'm not entirely sure I saw another warlock Quan there besides myself, though to be fair I didn't play many casuals beforehand and the two Quans that I happened to see were using Sorcerer and Warlock, and it appeared to be just a shits and giggles game.

As for myself, not well at all. I ran into a Jax in my first match, and even though I kept it close, I dropped the set 0-2, then ran smack into Cossner to start off my losers bracket. Cossner used Kung Jin and ate me for breakfast, it wasn't even a match. I was pretty embarrassed.

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
To be honest, i'm not entirely sure I saw another warlock Quan there besides myself, though to be fair I didn't play many casuals beforehand and the two Quans that I happened to see were using Sorcerer and Warlock, and it appeared to be just a shits and giggles game.

As for myself, not well at all. I ran into a Jax in my first match, and even though I kept it close, I dropped the set 0-2, then ran smack into Cossner to start off my losers bracket. Cossner used Kung Jin and ate me for breakfast, it wasn't even a match. I was pretty embarrassed.
No point in feeling bad, on the contrary it should serve as fuel to learn more and level up.

Glicnak

Noob
So here's a 1 bar 68% combo i discovered recently... It still needs some work but I was hoping some people here might be able to improve on it. I think ending it with a portal grab instead might raise the damage by a few %. Sorry for the capture quality I had to use my phone

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
So here's a 1 bar 68% combo i discovered recently... It still needs some work but I was hoping some people here might be able to improve on it. I think ending it with a portal grab instead might raise the damage by a few %. Sorry for the capture quality I had to use my phone

that is not a combo.