What's new

Strategy - Sorcerer Quan Chi Sorcerer Variation Discussion Thread

PANDEMlC

El Psy Congroo
A habbit I get into with Quan is ending a string in 141, armor circle, and then MB skull for the full screen knock down. Is that a smart game plan to do or is that too risky?
Also I've noticed that if I get get someone to block Skull I tend to get a far ground blast almost guarnateed. Is that a frame thing or just my opponent not moving fast enough?
People have said full screen blocked skulls guarantees a rune, so it is a frame thing. Would need to test it myself. I'd imagine they could get off an armor move but again would have to test.

As for the armor ex rune zoning, I'm not too experienced on Sorcerer but it's definitely not bad. It's all a read/reaction. I typically just play reactively with armor out, do a rune if i think theyll stand still and react accordingly. insta air skull if you think or see them jumping, rune them as they land if you can't do that, skull if you see them running or dashing, and of course ex rune from time to time to catch them off guard and reset your armor circle if it's running out.

Last edited:

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
People have said full screen blocked skulls guarantees a rune, so it is a frame thing. Would need to test it myself. I'd imagine they could get off an armor move but again would have to test.

As for the armor ex rune zoning, I'm not too experienced on Sorcerer but it's definitely not bad. It's all a read/reaction. I typically just play reactively with armor out, do a rune if i think theyll stand still and react accordingly. insta air skull if you think or see them jumping, rune them as they land if you can't do that, skull if you see them running or dashing, and of course ex rune from time to time to catch them off guard and rest your armor circle if it's running out.
I'll have to lab that. I didn't know he could instant air skull, though it makes obvious sense now. Is it the same as trying to do other instant air moves? For example the motion being do up,down,back2 as fast as possible?

PANDEMlC

El Psy Congroo
I'll have to lab that. I didn't know he could instant air skull, though it makes obvious sense now. Is it the same as trying to do other instant air moves? For example the motion being do up,down,back2 as fast as possible?
Yeah I don't do anything special, just up or upback and skull as fast as possible. Gotta flick the motion as fast as possible to really get it off, but generally a normal air skull will do it's just ideal to be able to instant air it. Has horrible recovery though so make sure you don't whiff it or they can punish the shit out of you as you come down from it.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
So this is mostly just theory fighting on my part, but...

Could Sorcerer be the better variation to use over Summoner vs. Shirai-Ryu Takeda?

My thinking that the armor on Sky Drop is pretty booty. We all know this. So using just this to expose Takeda's gaps may be problematic.

But with armor circle, you could use different attacks, like EN Rune, to get through his pressure.

What do you guys think?

Has anyone played this match up?

haketh

Noob
So this is mostly just theory fighting on my part, but...

Could Sorcerer be the better variation to use over Summoner vs. Shirai-Ryu Takeda?

My thinking that the armor on Sky Drop is pretty booty. We all know this. So using just this to expose Takeda's gaps may be problematic.

But with armor circle, you could use different attacks, like EN Rune, to get through his pressure.

What do you guys think?

Has anyone played this match up?
For those reasons it seems like it would be better to just play Warlock

macro

Eezeepeezee
Quan Chi's chip aura formula:

It will add 4.00 percent to all special moves

It will add 1.00 percent to all normal moves that do .50 percent

It will add 1.50 percent to all normal moves that do .75 percent

It will add 2.50 percent to all normal moves that do 1.25 percent

It will add 3.50 percent to all normal moves that do 1.75 percent

It will add 4.50 percent to all normal moves that do 2.25 percent

It will add 7.00 percent to all normal moves that do 3.50 percent

@Under_The_Mayo @PND_Ketchup

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations

I like this. I just should seeing how to get max chip setups.

macro

Eezeepeezee
I like this. I just should seeing how to get max chip setups.
Well I know the best mid-screen setup I could find, is after a normal bnb you can end it with 4xxchip aura. Then most of the time you can get a meter burn ruin, if they get hit by it, in all it will be 50%, plus more zoning. If they block it, they'll be taking 48%. The only way the opponent could get out of the setup is by using a armored move like sub-zero's slide.

It triples chip damage.

Rude

So recently, i had to fight Aftershock Tremor.

I think this match up might be really bad for Sorcerer Quan.

Have any of you played it and what do you think?

M2Dave

Zoning Master
So recently, i had to fight Aftershock Tremor.

I think this match up might be really bad for Sorcerer Quan.

Have any of you played it and what do you think?
In my opinion, Sorcerer / Summoner Quan Chi beats Tremor in any variation. The overwhelming majority of players has no idea how to fight Tremor. I am still learning the match up too.

What are you struggling with? Aerial earth shake? If it is performed too high in the air, rune is guaranteed. If it is performed too low in the air, rune is a guaranteed check, but Tremor may be able to backdash sometimes. If you anticipate the aerial earth shake, you can punish with j.2, b+2 xx trance.

Full screen rock drop? Do EX trance on reaction. You will take the hit, but you can still combo or go for the vortex. In fact, all of Tremor's projectiles are so slow that you can usually react and punish with EX trance. If rock drop is used in strings, react to the animation and throw. Tremor wins the trade, but you recover quicker.

Tremor's 50/50 mix up is between 2,1,2 and 2,1,d+4. The last hit of 2,1,2 is an overhead attack while the last hit of 2,1,d+4 is a low attack. You cannot fuzzy guard. 2,1,2 is -9 on with push back, so Quan Chi cannot punish. 2,1,d+4,u+4 xx stone shatter cancel is safe on block. Tremor's normal attacks are very sluggish, though. You can low profile almost all the advancing ones with d+3.

He may have some powerful traps in the corner against Quan Chi, but who does not? I would follow the general game plan. Zone. Zone. Zone. When he closes the gap, mash d+3. Go for the vortex.

Do you guys have any tips for the Dragonfire/Flamefist Liu Kang matchup with Sorcerer? For me it's hard to use the armor spell because bicycle kick and windmill punch push you right out of the circle or break the hit of armor. I've been ending combos in f212 in the corner after trance for the standing reset but I'm not sure there is another way to setup the armor spell without getting pushed out of it by ex bicycle kick. @PND_Ketchup @Under_The_Mayo and other Sorcerer players

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
Do you guys have any tips for the Dragonfire/Flamefist Liu Kang matchup with Sorcerer? For me it's hard to use the armor spell because bicycle kick and windmill punch push you right out of the circle or break the hit of armor. I've been ending combos in f212 in the corner after trance for the standing reset but I'm not sure there is another way to setup the armor spell without getting pushed out of it by ex bicycle kick. @PND_Ketchup @Under_The_Mayo and other Sorcerer players
Sometimes the best placement for armor spell is directly behind you.

Rude

In my opinion, Sorcerer / Summoner Quan Chi beats Tremor in any variation. The overwhelming majority of players has no idea how to fight Tremor. I am still learning the match up too.

What are you struggling with? Aerial earth shake? If it is performed too high in the air, rune is guaranteed. If it is performed too low in the air, rune is a guaranteed check, but Tremor may be able to backdash sometimes. If you anticipate the aerial earth shake, you can punish with j.2, b+2 xx trance.

Full screen rock drop? Do EX trance on reaction. You will take the hit, but you can still combo or go for the vortex. In fact, all of Tremor's projectiles are so slow that you can usually react and punish with EX trance. If rock drop is used in strings, react to the animation and throw. Tremor wins the trade, but you recover quicker.

Tremor's 50/50 mix up is between 2,1,2 and 2,1,d+4. The last hit of 2,1,2 is an overhead attack while the last hit of 2,1,d+4 is a low attack. You cannot fuzzy guard. 2,1,2 is -9 on with push back, so Quan Chi cannot punish. 2,1,d+4,u+4 xx stone shatter cancel is safe on block. Tremor's normal attacks are very sluggish, though. You can low profile almost all the advancing ones with d+3.

He may have some powerful traps in the corner against Quan Chi, but who does not? I would follow the general game plan. Zone. Zone. Zone. When he closes the gap, mash d+3. Go for the vortex.

Thank you for the write up. One of the problems i was having was the aerial Earthshake. The mistake I guess i was making was, instead of trying to do Reversal Runes and Rune checks, i kept trying to use aerial skulls to knock him out of the air.

I think I'm going to try your suggestion.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
One of the problems i was having was the aerial Earthshake. The mistake I guess i was making was, instead of trying to do Reversal Runes and Rune checks, i kept trying to use aerial skulls to knock him out of the air.
Aerial skulls work sometimes depending on the angle and the distance. As punishment, AA aerial skull -> demon strike -> EX trance is possible full screen away in Summoner. You still have time to summon the demon and either combo or go for the vortex.

ArmedCalf

I guess I play Necromancer now.. PSN: ArmedCalf
Lol yup, just saw a video of a 95% chip uppercut. Probably not practical but I mean it exista

RM slacked

Shinnok trash from Canada.
Lol yup, just saw a video of a 95% chip uppercut. Probably not practical but I mean it exista
As long as you get the first chip rune out, it'll work just like doing the blood god totem setups. I've got it consistently online and offline.