What's new

Strategy - Sorcerer Quan Chi Sorcerer Variation Discussion Thread

macro

Eezeepeezee
The idea is that when you leave the circle and walk back in, it ignores the 5 sec cooldown. So if you stuff a string using your armor and trance them. Jump over them out of the circle, then use the F2 string which advances you back IN the circle. You can reset the armor immediately.

I think you can just F212 into D3 and they are staggered in front of you reset and you have armor.
D3 doesn't combo

NapalmCL

Professional training dummy
D3 doesn't combo
I mean I normally D3 to check them. At that point you should have armor and I normally get of a D3 -> B3, or go for a B2 whatever. Not supposed to combo, just reset the situation.

macro

Eezeepeezee
To setup the chip aura for zoning
F2122, 4xxtrance, ji2, F2122 4xxchip aura 32%

B324, 4xxtrance, ji2, F2122, 4xxchip aura 32%

If you do a mb ruin and they block it, it will turn in to 42%/43%

Your to main options are a jump back skull (instant air), or MB ruin, to really start the pressure.

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
When setuping for the zoning pressure is it only good for getting them in the corner or can it work in other places like mid screen. Or is the idea at mid screen, set up armor rune but if you get them in the corner set up the chip rune?

And once they're in the corner what are the ideas or good ways to keep them in the corner?

hello everyone. how viable is sorcerer? does he have matchups that feel really hard, not 6-4 hard, but 7-3 at least? i want to learn quan now, but i don't really know if i should invest time in sorcerer or is it better just to start with summoner and throw batman at people

Ray'sGoodLiquor

I don't care I'm not a competitive player anymore
hello everyone. how viable is sorcerer? does he have matchups that feel really hard, not 6-4 hard, but 7-3 at least? i want to learn quan now, but i don't really know if i should invest time in sorcerer or is it better just to start with summoner and throw batman at people
It's a little early to chose characters based on matchups, isn't it? Who do you enjoy playing?

NapalmCL

When setuping for the zoning pressure is it only good for getting them in the corner or can it work in other places like mid screen. Or is the idea at mid screen, set up armor rune but if you get them in the corner set up the chip rune?

And once they're in the corner what are the ideas or good ways to keep them in the corner?
Hard knockdowns into amour rune, or trance into Chip rune are the setups I've seen, trance into the chip guarantees they will at least be standing in it when you press buttons. Quan's 141 will setup into a safe armour rune in the corner. I don't think anyone can really wakeup punish it (Ex spin maybe?)

Armour rune is my go to 95% of the time, it allows you to trade into combos/favourably and punish teleports easily. I assume by zoning pressure you mean the chip rune? I've found it doesn't work very well other than the corner as our best frame trap pushes them out of it and at full-screen they could theoretically just jump out and be fine.

Setting up amour in the corner is also scary because you can catch them with Quan's unsafe but huge normals (B2) without fear of getting poked out of the crazy startup. It doesn't matter if they've superjumped to the top of the screen B2 or B1 will catch them into a trance.

NapalmCL

i enjoy strong neutral tools in general. pressure would be also nice. for example i really like gm sub and kung jin bojutsu, but i don't like sonya.
Quan has good tools, you just can't... throw them out as much. Be prepared to block and look for an opening, take it with the right move. Then you get to pressure. He has super strong punishing tools in neutral but gets up like that drunk hobo in the park at 4am.

As long as you don't fall down and find an opening you can get the ball rolling and most people don't know what to do with an armoured bald hitman standing over them like he was just in disguise at a halloween themed club.

Ray'sGoodLiquor

I don't care I'm not a competitive player anymore
Maybe try Dvorah? Most of Quans tools are risky and his neutral game takes a lot of matchup knowledge to exploit.

PANDEMlC

El Psy Congroo
It's pretty easy to pick up on the side, once you get your armor circle out it's basically just like bat zoning except even easier. Just chuck some shit at em and try and interrupt during some of their oncoming pressure with the armor. It's also easier combo wise so if you know summoner it's just altering them a bit. I'd say learn what looks interesting, both good. I think in the long run sorcerer seems more interesting personally but I feel like the braindead vortex you get in summoner is much easier to get wins with. So it's up to you. Both are great.

ROCKYjaysZone

Darkseid Oppression
Thanks Everyone for the Sorcerer Quan Tips. Ive been grinding thinking about maining this variation. Feeling comfortable with him and want to go far in an ESL with him. Good luck to other fellow Quan Gods

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
It's pretty easy to pick up on the side, once you get your armor circle out it's basically just like bat zoning except even easier. Just chuck some shit at em and try and interrupt during some of their oncoming pressure with the armor. It's also easier combo wise so if you know summoner it's just altering them a bit. I'd say learn what looks interesting, both good. I think in the long run sorcerer seems more interesting personally but I feel like the braindead vortex you get in summoner is much easier to get wins with. So it's up to you. Both are great.
A habbit I get into with Quan is ending a string in 141, armor circle, and then MB skull for the full screen knock down. Is that a smart game plan to do or is that too risky?
Also I've noticed that if I get get someone to block Skull I tend to get a far ground blast almost guarnateed. Is that a frame thing or just my opponent not moving fast enough?