What's new

Quan Chi Matchup Discussion Thread

Red Son

Noob
• Raiden (I personaly think it's 3-7 ; but some people can say it's 4-6 )

- Spacing
You really can't try to rushdown on raiden, he has too much tools to blow you up while you try to do that,
so the smart decision is to stay in footsies, wait for a teleport or a jump, it really comes in handy cause
your uppercut can beat both, the same for its 1 1 2 string. Don't forget he can superman too, but it's too risky,
he's not gonna try that too many times.

- Punishment
Teleport: Raiden is all about teleport, so you want to read it and punish it.
You can make a 1,1,2 trance and go into your combo of choice, you can
also uppercut, if you see it on reaction.
When you need to expect it coming? If you blocked a Raiden's string in the beginning
he'll problably cancel that into teleport, after 33/334 most part of the time.

Superman: Punish it with b2 1, dash, b2 1, b1 1 into trance, I'll do 26% damage after trance,
and this leads into combo or runetrap. You can also do the "QuanFusion" version, which is
b 2 1, b 2 1, b 1 1 into trance, and them u3 into teleport.
Don't expect Superman too much, if Raiden is fullscreen or almost there, he's gonna throw
one or two fireballs and the teleport in your face, so you want to block, or crounch that
fireballs and wait for his teleport afterwards, after 1 or 2 teleports punished like this,
he's gonna come with a superman, its not always the same rhitm, all Raidens has its own style
of fighting, but remember, when he's fullscreen, he'll teleport or superman to get on you.
If you get a superman in the face, don't sound like a big deal, but it can lead to corner,
and we all know how bad is for Quan Chi to be knocked down in the corner, so watchout for
superman and teleport, in this match up, can be really frustrating for Quan, for others not so
much since superman is not a big deal, you can wait for teleports.

Eletrocute: You can punish it very easy with your 1 1 2 string into trance~combo.
Most part of Raiden players will do it after 1,2,1,2 string.

- QuanFusion:
That's your best friend against Raiden, and once he understand how it works, become more easily
to bait their teleport and get a free combo. First of all let me remember that this is a tatic
created by TheSolitude and showed to us by Mayo, if your opponent isn't aware of "quanfusion"
you can try to get him in the first time, but remember, the first time is just to show the Raiden
player that it exists, so do it, and instead of doing an attack, just block, cause if he teleports,
and you do b3 you'll be in serious trouble. If he didn't wakeup, at least he will recognize that
you're saying "hey dude, I inverted your wakeup controls", and he'll think about the teleport option,
as wakeup, cause it doesn't invert commands, so wait for him in the oposite side on next quanfusion.

*My friend plays with Raiden, and I'm still working on this matchup, and how rune trap works against him...
I want to breakdown the sonya matchup next week, which I think is his worst matchup.

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks

Couple questions for ya my man,

First off, why do you think its a 7-3? i dont think raiden has enough tools to be that big of a threatd to quan. he doesnt do much damage, he doesnt have a mixup game, and he has fairly slow normals. What you DO have to be good at in this MU is teching throws. Thats a big part of raidens game. and life lead management cuz that fucker can run for days(although a good read on a skydrop could quickly put an end to it). One thing to be careful of is after 11 skydrop, raiden can teleport and full punish your 212 after, so be careful(and dont you dare tell jwong that).

Also, i believe that Raiden is one of the few characters you DONT want to use quanfusion against, simply because he doesnt have to guess the mixup after the Knockdown, i could be mistaken tho since I dont really use quanfusion maybe STB Under_The_Mayo could help here?

we do agree on one thing tho, Sonya fuckin sucks! LOL!

Qwark28 I actually didnt know that Ima try that right now!

Red Son

Noob
STB Shujinkydink said:
Maybe its not that bad, but quan fusion get a "teleport wakeup" feeling from raiden, and then you are ready to punish his teleport, like, always =D

-.- I'm trying to get on Sonya, but it's so difficult for me.

HGTV DrFlash44

Quan Cheese!!!
Couple questions for ya my man,

First off, why do you think its a 7-3? i dont think raiden has enough tools to be that big of a threatd to quan. he doesnt do much damage, he doesnt have a mixup game, and he has fairly slow normals. What you DO have to be good at in this MU is teching throws. Thats a big part of raidens game. and life lead management cuz that fucker can run for days(although a good read on a skydrop could quickly put an end to it). One thing to be careful of is after 11 skydrop, raiden can teleport and full punish your 212 after, so be careful(and dont you dare tell jwong that).

Also, i believe that Raiden is one of the few characters you DONT want to use quanfusion against, simply because he doesnt have to guess the mixup after the Knockdown, i could be mistaken tho since I dont really use quanfusion maybe STB Under_The_Mayo could help here?

we do agree on one thing tho, Sonya fuckin sucks! LOL!

Qwark28 I actually didnt know that Ima try that right now!
Maybe its not that bad, but quan fusion get a "teleport wakeup" feeling from raiden, and then you are ready to punish his teleport, like, always =D

-.- I'm trying to get on Sonya, but it's so difficult for me.
Raiden, Jax, and kl are the characters that you don't wanna do quanfusion on cause they have autocorrecting wakeups.

Hey guys, I'm curious as to why liu is such a bad matchup ? Can trance not trade with fireball? Lately I've been finding it easier to uppercut out of his pressure lol, it seems to be the most fail safe method for me. There's no way though that its as bad as Sonya, is it?

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Hey guys, I'm curious as to why liu is such a bad matchup ? Can trance not trade with fireball? Lately I've been finding it easier to uppercut out of his pressure lol, it seems to be the most fail safe method for me. There's no way though that its as bad as Sonya, is it?
Although i dont play quan, I hear HGTV DrFlash44 go on and on about this matchup, but he never explains, So I wanna know too haha.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
What do you guys think about the Johnny Cage match up?

I think it is quite bad, mainly due to Quan's terrible poking game.

I could be wrong though; I am a very scrubby player.

Anyone want to advise me?

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
So, like is the OP updated and everything or does every Quan main have a different mu chart?

About to pick this character up and start playing with him consistently. Will let you guys know my thoughts.

Insuperable STB Shujinkydink Under_The_Mayo

imo, the only MUs id spend time on is cyrax, lao, sonya, LK, and cage. The others are fairly straightfoward. It is my opinion, and my opinion only, that quan beats KL and cyrax, however you need to have your strategy down. Sonya is a 3-7, cage is 4-6, and LK is also a 3-7. The others i could give two shits about seeing as the rune trap evens up most MUs. Let us know if you have any questions about anything specific MU wise, id love to help

imo, the only MUs id spend time on is cyrax, lao, sonya, LK, and cage. The others are fairly straightfoward. It is my opinion, and my opinion only, that quan beats KL and cyrax, however you need to have your strategy down. Sonya is a 3-7, cage is 4-6, and LK is also a 3-7. The others i could give two shits about seeing as the rune trap evens up most MUs. Let us know if you have any questions about anything specific MU wise, id love to help
Cool, man. I've played Noob for some time, so I feel you on mus that you think are advantageous, but no one will agree. lol. I'll look into it. I have a hard time picking up top tier characters because they're kind of lame to me and how I like to play, so I was actually thinking some crazy ass Quan Chi counterpick for Kung Lao. This is promising to me. Lol. Thanks, Dink.

How do you guys play the Kenshi mu? I was doing pretty well against Btk_Hy3na in offline casuals last night. I make him respect the skull toss, since reflect at certain distances is useless, forcing him to play footsies with me, then using tools like B3 and F1,2 to put him into pressure. This is called a 6-4, right? Is it mostly because of Kenshi's far superior armor and Quan's weak wake up game. He also has no good answer to F3,2, imo, but almost no one really does. Abusing rune trap pressure and mix ups seem to be the way to play this mu. Also, I made skull trade favorably with teleflurry once or twice because Quan's hitbox change. Is this able to be done consistently or is it just by chance? Is there any Kenshi projectile that you can trade trance with? Even after trying for several games, it seemed impossible to trade trance with teleflurry. I have to assume this is just the fate of the match. Is it worth zoning with runes in this mu (I doubt it)? Also, if you're a man, you'll win a set with "walk up, x-ray". Those are my thoughts right now. Input?

DemoniChris

Lord of the Sick
How do you guys play the Kenshi mu? I was doing pretty well against Btk_Hy3na in offline casuals last night. I make him respect the skull toss, since reflect at certain distances is useless, forcing him to play footsies with me, then using tools like B3 and F1,2 to put him into pressure. This is called a 6-4, right? Is it mostly because of Kenshi's far superior armor and Quan's weak wake up game. He also has no good answer to F3,2, imo, but almost no one really does. Abusing rune trap pressure and mix ups seem to be the way to play this mu. Also, I made skull trade favorably with teleflurry once or twice because Quan's hitbox change. Is this able to be done consistently or is it just by chance? Is there any Kenshi projectile that you can trade trance with? Even after trying for several games, it seemed impossible to trade trance with teleflurry. I have to assume this is just the fate of the match. Is it worth zoning with runes in this mu (I doubt it)? Also, if you're a man, you'll win a set with "walk up, x-ray". Those are my thoughts right now. Input?
lots of footsies and traps I guess. trance isn't really worth trying unless after an uppercut or something. tele stomp works quite well in this matchup (to the left or right of kenshi) as long as it's when they're not expecting it. You can try to stomp him when he is throwing out gay images of himself. Some tech that might work is throwing a skull and right after throw out a tele stomp to see if he will try to reflect it, then continue with pressure. D4 to mid rune probably works well here also.

Insuperable

My mom tells me I'm pretty
If you're playing against a really good Kenshi, you'll be lucky to get inside without trance trades/guesses/read. Skull is useless if Kenshi crouches it. If you try the double skull toss thing from full screen, Kenshi can just dash in and reflect, forcing you to block the skull and the flurry/overhead. Runes have too slow of a startup for Quan to zone out Kenshi with that. You'll just eat flurry after flurry, but runes aren't uselss in this matchup. They're very good, but you have to understand when to use them I guess. When you get into the corner. Pray ;_; hahahah

However, STB Shujinkydink did very well against Pig Of The Hut in Final Round casuals/money matches. Do you have any tips on this matchup? (I'm asking both Dink and Pig :p)