What's new

Quan Chi Matchup Discussion Thread

Squeaker101

Show me what you can do
I would say 6-4 in Liu's favor.. I almost never pick Quan if someone is playing Liu :/
Can you explain why? I don't disagree, nor do I agree. I've gone up against some crazy Quans, to the point where I think I blocked like 90% of the match. Others I've done well against, fairly even I'd say.

DemoniChris

Lord of the Sick
Can you explain why? I don't disagree, nor do I agree. I've gone up against some crazy Quans, to the point where I think I blocked like 90% of the match. Others I've done well against, fairly even I'd say.
Liu Kang is a lot faster mostly, and his strings are easy to fall into. Quan just feels sluggish in comparison.

OZombiePenguinO

Garbage, bro
I too would like more detail as to why Liu Kang is a bad match up for Quan Chi. I never felt any particular trouble when fighting him. Although I am picking Liu Kang up, so I'd also like to know my counter pick advantages :3

DemoniChris

Lord of the Sick
I too would like more detail as to why Liu Kang is a bad match up for Quan Chi. I never felt any particular trouble when fighting him. Although I am picking Liu Kang up, so I'd also like to know my counter pick advantages :3
I wouldn't say it's a 7-3 for Liu but definitely a 6-4 in his favor.. possibly 5-5 if you learn how to take care of his mixups / zoning and parry game.

OZombiePenguinO

Garbage, bro
I wouldn't say it's a 7-3 for Liu but definitely a 6-4 in his favor.. possibly 5-5 if you learn how to take care of his mixups / zoning and parry game.
His mixups and zoning are really no problem imo. And if I'm not mistaken, B3 works against his parry anyway, doesn't it?

DemoniChris

Lord of the Sick
His mixups and zoning are really no problem imo. And if I'm not mistaken, B3 works against his parry anyway, doesn't it?
You may be right. I don't know, I guess I haven't had much matchup experience against Liu, but I usually got blown up. He's quite a fast character, and his strings always take him all the way across the screen so it's hard to punish unless you throw out a naked trance.
I bet if I worked on the matchup more I would say 5-5

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
His zoning is a problem, you can't skydrop on him due to his fast recovery. His mixups aren't the problem, it's the fact that his normals and strings are so much faster than Quan. It's certainly a bad MU for Quan. Cage can't zone you, I really don't mind that MU, I'll play Cage with QC all day but Liu...ugh.

Squeaker101

Show me what you can do
You may be right. I don't know, I guess I haven't had much matchup experience against Liu, but I usually got blown up. He's quite a fast character, and his strings always take him all the way across the screen so it's hard to punish unless you throw out a naked trance.
I bet if I worked on the matchup more I would say 5-5
Naked trances are the worst, I usually get hit by them quarter to mid-screen.
I see your on PSN, if you wanna play this match-up i'm down!
I do live in Western Canada so.....
but Liu...ugh.
=D, the more Liu gives people trouble the better. Would you say 5-5?

GNG Iniquity

lol... do you want the whole match to just be free for you?

Not really, tbh. He's relatively bad in the corner, yeah, but like I said, do you just want the match to be free? He's fine if you know what you're doing.
I don't, no. But I agree with the 3-7 assessment. I just switch to JC honestly. I'll play a 4-6 (don't mind playing Cage at all since I'm very familiar with him) but 3-7 is more effort than I care for. Quan players are aware that he has bad MUs and I don't feel it's realistic to simply play Quan alone. He's a good character, but you're naive if you're going to play him alone.

Still feel that character loyalty is overrated in this game, nobody does it. The fact that I feel confident enough to play Quan against JC, Kabal (5-5) and Jax (5-5) is good enough to me. Makes him tournament viable in my book; yes he needs a little help but not much.

OZombiePenguinO

Garbage, bro
I don't, no. But I agree with the 3-7 assessment. I just switch to JC honestly. I'll play a 4-6 (don't mind playing Cage at all since I'm very familiar with him) but 3-7 is more effort than I care for.
Imo, he's really not even harder than JC. There's just more stuff you need to consider. It doesn't make it any more difficult, there's just more depth to the match up.

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
Naked trances are the worst, I usually get hit by them quarter to mid-screen.
I see your on PSN, if you wanna play this match-up i'm down!
I do live in Western Canada so..... =D, the more Liu gives people trouble the better. Would you say 5-5?

western canada? im from Calgary Ab, originally interior BC. Small world.

Kangs zoning is the issue here. His pressure and mixups are hard to get out of as well with quan. you have to counter his d3 with your own and go into b3 1+2...easier said than done tho and if LK rarely d3's you have yourself a problem

Squeaker101

Show me what you can do

Kangs zoning is the issue here. His pressure and mixups are hard to get out of as well with quan. you have to counter his d3 with your own and go into b3 1+2...easier said than done tho and if LK rarely d3's you have yourself a problem
Your from Canada?!? Where have you been all my li- all of this year?!!? I've been looking for canadians for awhile now.
Back to topic. Maybe i've just been unlucky but
- I zone > get tranced
-I go up close > rune trapped.
I need more of this MU.

GNG Iniquity

I still feel that people don't want to acknowledge the pink elephant in the room in that Quan does get zoned out pretty badly by quickly recovering projectiles. Yeah, Quan can make some trades here and there with his, but I wouldn't say that his projectile is fantastic by any means.

Skull is 21 frames (50 from full screen) with a 52 frame recovery. It's really not that great against fast recovering projectiles (IE Liu Kang and Sonya). I still find myself attempting to skydrop on Liu Kang and Sonya, despite knowing this, but that's part of what makes Quan good lol

GNG Iniquity

Squeaker101

Ultimately, I would say that a faster recovery is more important than a faster start up speed. If you're projectile trading with Liu for instance, who has a faster projectile to begin with, he's going to have time to send it out and block. While Quan will just be standing there eating the fireballs.

Quan can't skydrop on him, either, and if Quan decides to attempt to send out a skull from full screen Liu has ample time to respond with an armored EX flying kick and put Quan in the corner where his normals are going to out prioritize him.

OZombiePenguinO

Garbage, bro
There are so many ways around the addressed issues. Yeah he requires more thinking, but Liu Kang is nothing more than relatively hard

Also, Quan Chi gets Trance trades "here and there" depending on how good you are at it.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
I cant beat good sonyas to save my life
This makes me feel a little better about being terrible at this matchup.

The fact that Divekick links into her combos makes anti-air as dangerous as defusing a bomb.
Everything she fucking does is safe.
Armored Cartwheel.
In the infinite words of Puddle Of Mudd: She fucking hates me. She fucking hates me, na na na naaa.

Question: If I was Quan's absolute worst matchups, what would I be?

And am I insane for NOT thinking Kung Lao is one of them?
He's not easy, he's not even, he's not a cakewalk, but he's definitely not someone I'd counterpick. I really think the risk is outweighed by the reward of catching him in a Rune vortex. I don't wanna be wrong and get destroyed, as my only way to judge such things is online.

HGTV DrFlash44

Quan Cheese!!!
I disagree here's my opinionScorpion 5:5
Lui Kang 5:5
Kung Lao 4:6
Sub Zero 5:5
Sindel 5.5:4.5
Ermac 5:5
Kitana 5:5
Johnny Cage 3.5:6.5
Jade 6:4
Mileena 5:5