What's new

General/Other - Quan Chi Quan Chi General Discussion Thread

Nuovo_Cabjoy

G O R O B O Y S
Thinking about coming back and messing with some Warlock. Any of you guys been grinding this fella since XL came out? How are you all finding him these days/how do you feel the matchup spread is for him right now?

Poshib

The Artman
Thinking about coming back and messing with some Warlock. Any of you guys been grinding this fella since XL came out? How are you all finding him these days/how do you feel the matchup spread is for him right now?
Overall, I think Warlock is Quan's most solid variation. It fairs pretty well against everyone and the EX Slam makes a BIG difference in matchups where Quan has to defend.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
Quan mains, how do y'all feel about the Quan/Cutthroat match up? As of now, I feel like Warlock is the way to go, but I don't know everything.

So how do you all approach it as Sorcerer/Warlock?

Poshib

The Artman
Quan mains, how do y'all feel about the Quan/Cutthroat match up? As of now, I feel like Warlock is the way to go, but I don't know everything.

So how do you all approach it as Sorcerer/Warlock?
Summoner all day. I try to go full zoning in this matchup. Kano's floaty jump makes him easy to anti air (B1, NJP, st4, bat fireball, raw trance) and EX Kano ball is easy to react to from full screen. If Kano gets in, D1 to interrupt his pressure then try to get a hit in that you can combo from ro send him back full screen. Then let the zoning continue.

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
can someone plz tell me how to deal with sorcerors armor? i feel like once he has it out i can't do anything :/. i wasplaying the match using tremor btw.

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
can someone plz tell me how to deal with sorcerors armor? i feel like once he has it out i can't do anything :/. i wasplaying the match using tremor btw.
I always try to interrupt his pressure with armor breaking setups/strings from up close, like Cage's 12 or Lius B1, so maybe going for a hard read with F1xxExOHPunch would make him respect you seeing as Tremor doesn't have any strings that break armor.

Or try hitting him with a low recovery move to break the hit of armor then you can play as normal. As long as you don't let him sit in armor and let it regenerate.

Fullscreen you mostly just have to hold dat shit.

the.hamburglar

Alien keeps me up at night
Yooooo, all you Quans out there, I have a question. How negative is Back3,2 and Back3,2,4? "Go into practice mode" Lol im not home atm and this has been bugging me all day. I fought a horrible Quan and I couldn't punish Back3,2,4 with F1 ( Kangs 6Frame high) which last time I checked was like -14. I also see in tournament, Back3,2 which I thought was -11 but maybe im stupid. Prolly am

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Yooooo, all you Quans out there, I have a question. How negative is Back3,2 and Back3,2,4? "Go into practice mode" Lol im not home atm and this has been bugging me all day. I fought a horrible Quan and I couldn't punish Back3,2,4 with F1 ( Kangs 6Frame high) which last time I checked was like -14. I also see in tournament, Back3,2 which I thought was -11 but maybe im stupid. Prolly am
Both are -14, but B32 can be tougher to punish if you didn't know they weren't going to commit to anything after it. Just record the string in training mode and keep practicing until you feel comfortable punishing I guess.

Deoxys243

Leader of The Salty Spitoon
I believe that your approach mid screen and in the corner should be a bit different. It is also dependent on what character you have so it varies. One great way to break Quan Chi's armor is to do a jab followed by an armor move, so if you manage to block Quan Chi's mixup, you could do a low poke into your armored move and hit him out of armor.

If you have no meter or don't feel confident in armoring, the best approach is to stay defensive. You never want to try to jump on or over Quan Chi, a good player will neutral jump you or d3 anti air you, so you want to stay grounded at all times. Stay as far away as possible so they can't mix you up and be more defensive, or you will get caught most of the time.

Hopefully this was helpful. Sorcerer is tough to fight in some match ups but you want to use fast multi-hitting moves to break the armor if possible.

AeWhole

Noob
I don't play Tremor so I don't know your tools. However I think this is good advice for anyone struggling against the quatchup.

Once he has his armor out you have to challenge space with safe pokes or double hitting move or armor of your own. Double hitting moves and a poke into a fuzzy block will only work if you are fast on the draw because once you open your guard his armored 50/50's game is going to be on. Offensive pressure in the armor circle while you're in the corner is long too. I often see people get worried of chip and let go of block at the wrong times.

The offensive armor circle corner game the Quan will run (Quanfense as I like to call it) will be stuff that leaves him in neutral and armor breaking tools. Good Quan players will do F212xxRune leaving him slightly minus in armor to bait or delay MB it and take your hit for a fun little combo that takes as long as the armor circle lasts. Other times they will F212 into a throw/5050 so teching or preparing a guess block is your best option.

During the unsafe 50/50 made safe by armor and attempt to bait a poke that won't do anything you should be doing the following. B324 is easily avoidable by jumping out and over. Most players can't anti-air you like Shujinkydink can. If they read the jump or you don't think it's a good idea to jump crossover just block high and play safe because if the Quan thinks you're gonna jump then here comes the B2 blade of death and corner destruction. His corner game feels a lot like a slow methodical pre patch Kung Lao. Armor circle makes this mother fucker so broken in the corner.

Also, against every one of his variations you don't have to respect any blocked Quan string. Trying to punish/poke accordingly all of them especially challenge every one of his meterburned runes with your armor. Knocking Quan on the ground is still the best way to beat him. Hell, you don't even need to do damage if you can trip him throw him hit a launcher and drop the combo just keep him on the ground cause his wakeup options are absolute garbage for the amount of meter he has to spend to get them even in Warlock. Watch that meter like a hawk and watch the clock for ten seconds once the circles are down. Quan on a full stick of butter will win the round almost everytime if you let him. Same goes for Quan on an armor circle with any amount of meter in the corner. Patience is so important against Quan. This is I think his greatest fault because pro players know to be really patient because they play a lot. I hope that we see a Quan top 8 again but I doubt it with him being neutered on the plus frame dept. Quan's gameplay is entirely dependant on decent reads and the opponent not knowing what you are going to do next during his "turn" of offense. There is still hope for sick nasty damage from Warlock resets and Summoner resets too we shall see what people can do with The Tile vortex recently unleashed.

I feel like this is a lot of information and a huge post, sorry I just miss my stolen PS4. Hope this helps though let me know.

gibster13

A fan of fans
Am I the only one who thinks Summoner is extremely meh ??

He is ok but I think he needs something to bring him back a bit. Im not asking for the broke stuff like last time. Perhaps I'm still not used to the massive damage nerf he received (needed yes, but not to this degree imo) or perhaps I'm just trying to spark some life in these dead forums :D

@STB Shujinkydink
@legion666
@michaelangelo
@Any other quans

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
Am I the only one who thinks Summoner is extremely meh ??

He is ok but I think he needs something to bring him back a bit. Im not asking for the broke stuff like last time. Perhaps I'm still not used to the massive damage nerf he received (needed yes, but not to this degree imo) or perhaps I'm just trying to spark some life in these dead forums :D

@STB Shujinkydink
@legion666
@michaelangelo
@Any other quans
I think Summoner is still Quan's best variation.

Still has insane corner damage. Still has the EXACT same dirt as pre-patch in the corner. His zoning is still best in the game. He has a few bad MUs now but how the character is designed with the way MKX works none can ever really be worse than 6-4 imo.

This is due to his still extreme offense. He still has top 5 offense easily and the only characters who really give him trouble imo are characters who don't allow him to turtle, or characters who have better offense than him. There isn't many of the latter, and the characters in the former category don't have the insane offense Quan does when they get in, so 1 touch off Quan and it's even scarier times for them than it would be for us anyway.

gibster13

A fan of fans
I think Summoner is still Quan's best variation.

Still has insane corner damage. Still has the EXACT same dirt as pre-patch in the corner. His zoning is still best in the game. He has a few bad MUs now but how the character is designed with the way MKX works none can ever really be worse than 6-4 imo.

This is due to his still extreme offense. He still has top 5 offense easily and the only characters who really give him trouble imo are characters who don't allow him to turtle, or characters who have better offense than him. There isn't many of the latter, and the characters in the former category don't have the insane offense Quan does when they get in, so 1 touch off Quan and it's even scarier times for them than it would be for us anyway.
I see what you're saying but top 5 is a bit far. With bar he is fine. Zoning is pretty redundant but keeping people out can be done.

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
I see what you're saying but top 5 is a bit far. With bar he is fine. Zoning is pretty redundant but keeping people out can be done.
I don't know, he doesn't even need meter for another bat summon vortex off most midscreen starters and all corner starters. This means he can just bully his opponent to the corner, which he does surprisingly well against most the cast, then go ham with 50/50s into ExSkull into more 50/50s on block and big damage on hit. You just have to make sure you have the bat out to make people scared to attempt to armor through. Once the bats out, which it always will be in the corner, they gave to guess whether to armor out or not after each 50/50.

50/50s into 50/50 Boyz.

Poshib

The Artman
Quan Chi is OBVIOUSLY worse off than he was and STILL loses to the same shit he lost to before. We all love Quan here, but I think you guys are looking through rose colored glasses. He is still "good", but come on now.

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
Quan Chi is OBVIOUSLY worse off than he was and STILL loses to the same shit he lost to before. We all love Quan here, but I think you guys are looking through rose colored glasses. He is still "good", but come on now.
No ones saying he's better than before. I just believe Summoner is still a very strong variation.

Someone let me know if this is known or not. A friend of mine found it and I haven't seen it on here but I don't wanna make a thread if is is known. Might be worthless considering the patch is in a couple days but hey I'm posting it anyway.
http://xboxclips.com/tonyhawkmast/fd373b6a-dc0f-40cc-a004-4e43478bc6b8
I have seen Dink doing that on stream. And thought to myself-WTF!? Now I see. It is awesome.
That actually combos? Fuck that's amazing.
This can be teched of course, but you need to guess which way, hope it combos midscreen as well, then it is another 50/50, it would have been 25/25/25/25 if Quan had his overhead, but without it it will be a 33/33/33) need to lab that asap.
Here is @STB Shujinkydink doing it at 12:00 mark

That actually combos? Fuck that's amazing.
So I lab bed it a bit. Midscreen you can get only the normal bat to hit, meterlessly it can only be comboed into a rune for 13%. But using the Ex Trance you get these:

In the corner :
2 bars:

1 bar:

BUT ! We can also get a vortex in the corner - it is hit or throw (considering we don't have an overhead anymore):
Hit:

Throw ( I messed it up in the end but you get the idea):

If you do the back throw you can just do the midscreen MB throw combo.
Man, didn't think a vortex was possible without the overhead)