What's new

Quan Chi Community...I Need Your Help...

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
So...I really don't fully grasp how this happened.

Anyway, I have been volunteered for a money match. That sure sounds whackey, right? Of course it does.

The short version: Someone was running their mouth on my state's FGC facebook page. He was challenging someone to a money match in KI. The conversation digressed but somewhere along the line, one of my associates brought my name up and said he wanted to see me money match this loud guy.

Now, of course, I could refuse but how does that look? I mean, sure, I never talked smack or actively participated in the community, but that doesn't really matter now.

So I ask all of you...help me. Help me figure out how to fight and beat..

..Sub-Zero. That is who this guy mains. Sub-god-damn-Zero.

Now, I should go into some more detail. I am pretty okay at Injustice. Nothing special, but okay. When I was playing MK9 back when it was huge, I was basically an online random. I didn't have a clan or TYM buddies to train with, so what little I do know I taught myself and used Under_The_Mayo's videos, Shujinkydink and Insuperable's tourney footage to do so.

But I haven't played this game in a long, long time.

So...how does Quan fight Sub-Zero?

What are the footsies like in this match?

Any and all help/advice is appreciated.

Rude

Of course! Man, why didn't I think of that? It's like the whole match has opened up for me!

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
Zone him with skulls and runes, build meter and runetrap him when you can. That's what I do anyway. Keep in mind that Sub players like to be defensive with ice clone and whatnot whereas you want to be in doing damage. So play the opposite to what they want, don't try to come in and let him get away with ice clone stuff, instead just try zoning him out a little and make him come in to you :) not his easiest matchup though mind you...

DavS13

Noob
I'v seen Dink play the subzero matchup, and he interrupts anything subzero does that begins with a 2. Which is basically everything. Seems like a very terrible matchup for sub imo.

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
I've got you son. Few things.

Subs standing 2 will whiff on quan. This means all his standard strings will be uppercut punishable if he tries to approach you. 212,222 etc. the key is to run and sky drop iceball on reaction then go into rune trap. Be wary of skulls, not the best idea but trance will trade with iceball in your favor. If you find yourself cornered mid rune as soon as you see him ice clone and it will hit him

pherleece

Woolay
I love the sub zero mu! Dink pretty much hit everything in his post. Depends how good the guy is, I open the match with a trance cause many subs ice clone right away. But you will get full combo punishedif yyou're wrong

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
So, from playing dink... I would say this:

Zone sub out and make him WANT to trade with your skulls with ice blast. Then when you believe he will ice blast... teleport on his ass to get in for free.

If sub is getting antsy b/c of any zoning damage you are doing, look for frantic jumps and trance him into the rune trap.

Basically just sit over on the other side of the screen and crouch block (so as to be protected from yolo slides)... it's what @STB Shujinkydink does. lmao

If sub comes in... just mash D2 after his standing 2 (His 2 whiffs WHEN IT GODDAMN SHOULDN'T) and you'll stop his advancing right quick.

Rude

I've got you son. Few things.

Subs standing 2 will whiff on quan. This means all his standard strings will be uppercut punishable if he tries to approach you. 212,222 etc. the key is to run and sky drop iceball on reaction then go into rune trap. Be wary of skulls, not the best idea but trance will trade with iceball in your favor. If you find yourself cornered mid rune as soon as you see him ice clone and it will hit him
Explain this "shotgun d4" thing Charliemurphy is talking about. I'm not sure I understand what he means. Like....is he talking about Sub mashing D4 over and over?

Now...this interrupting Sub's standing 2 strings....you can do this after a blocked jump in?

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
I main Smoke and Sub-Zero and ever time I play against a Quan I always go Sub-Zero because it feels like such a good match for Subby. Oh you want to try and skydrop behind or infront of me? BOOM punish on reaction with 22xxIce Ball. You want to skydrop on me? I'm a turtle, get fucking blocked... Bitch! Oh so we're at mid range distance and you want to throw your crappy skulls??? GET SLID TO YOUR ANKLES. TO YOUR FUCKING ANKLES BITCH!! Footsies??? D4, GET OUTTA here! Oh and you better not find yourself in my corners, I'll put your in there and you Ain't. Geting. Out.

I put a little comedic twist on it but I do find the match fairly easy for Sub but when Quan gets that runetrap going, oh man you better start working! But not too hard, the match is pretty good for Sub I'd say but maybe that's just me being gdlk ;) Really it's about getting the momentum and trying to get in and get that rune trap started. And a lot of people underestimate staying just outside of sub-zeros range for hitting you then hitting sub with and EX Rune and jumping in to get the trap going.

Remember Sub's strings (212 for example) has a gap in it so make sure to EX your way out of that one. And like mentioned above, his standing 2 isn't a true mid so uppercut his ass outta that bright idea with your yummy 7 frame d2!

Trades with IceBalls are usually in Subs favour because Frozen --> trade lololo so broken but so good ;)

Cocain is a hell of a drug. Seriously.

ChaosTheory

A fat woman came into the shoe store today...
Sub will kick the shit out of Quan Chi if the Sub player is good and plays it right. Most likely, this guy won't. I can count on one hand doing a peace sign the players I've seen play it right; and it's not who everyone would assume.

Especially if this is online. Because then a huge reason why Sub-Zero does well gets nulled out by Quan Chi Sky-Dropping his way out of trouble.

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
Explain this "shotgun d4" thing Charliemurphy is talking about. I'm not sure I understand what he means. Like....is he talking about Sub mashing D4 over and over?

Now...this interrupting Sub's standing 2 strings....you can do this after a blocked jump in?
Yeah quan doesn't have a good answer for d4 except jump. But sub can catch you with 21 freeze if he thinks your gonna jump. I think if both players play it right it's 5-5. Battle of patience for sure. But keep calm, id zone more with runes than skulls if possible cause slide but if iceball starts up your hooped.

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
You are sorely mistaken if you think Subzero is harder for Quan than Smoke. Sub is likely a 5 - 5, while Smoke Quan is one of the most frustrating matchups imaginable.
lol I'm aware of the actual numbers and reasons but I'm trying to say that I personally prefer to use Sub Zero because for some reason it feels so easy to me. I'd choose sub over smoke any day for this match! :)

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Yeah quan doesn't have a good answer for d4 except jump. But sub can catch you with 21 freeze if he thinks your gonna jump. I think if both players play it right it's 5-5. Battle of patience for sure. But keep calm, id zone more with runes than skulls if possible cause slide but if iceball starts up your hooped.
it only took countless beatings and many rune traps to just mash d4 and force you to deal with it.

Months of conditioning let me at least use f4 and back dash whiff punish after Dink would d2 anything that wasn't a d4.

Can Quan d2 a SZ standing 2 when d4 hits Quan in crouch? I forget.

Shit i think i abandoned using standing 2 unless i was punishing anyway.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
lol I'm aware of the actual numbers and reasons but I'm trying to say that I personally prefer to use Sub Zero because for some reason it feels so easy to me. I'd choose sub over smoke any day for this match! :)
you'd actually play the MU in the same manner

except ya know..... Smoke can TOD you.

ChaosTheory

A fat woman came into the shoe store today...
Sub's standing d2 got nulled by a lot of characters (bullshit, btw). 2,2 (4) is what I'd use more. It's like with Cage. Don't have to be hyper aggressive. Sub will back him to the wall without ever being in range for standing 2, anyway.

@Rude

I doubt you have to worry about this guy playing it right. Ideally, Quan shouldn't be firing Skulls too much. Sub can Slide on reaction. Random Trances will get you fucked from up to just outside jump distance or you'll eat a Slide at the minimum from anywhere. Coming at Sub is tough because he'll keep you at that 2,2 (4) range with Clone and you won't be fast enough to close the gap before he lays one in your face.

Eventually you're backed up to the wall, possibly after eating 20-25% worth of Slides, d4's, and chip from (2),2,4. You can't just sit there letting him re-wall you off with 2,2 and d4 into Clones. So it's tough because even if you Sky Drop (anywhere), you'll eat 2,2,Freeze right back to where you started.

I've always thought this is tough for Quan. Obviously he can Rune Trap so there's always the threat. But if it's played right, I think it's hard to ever initiate the Trap in the first place.

That said... I don't know this guy, but I somehow doubt he'll play it that way. He'll let you get close, you'll probably d2 the fuck out of him a bunch, he'll get crossed over, eat random Trances, throw Ice Blast and give you a free Sky Drop, let you come in with f1,2, etc. I assume you'll be online so even if he's decent, you can Sky Drop out of the corner for minimum charge and never be stuck. That one factor alone massively changes the match-up.

Rude

Sub's standing d2 got nulled by a lot of characters (bullshit, btw). 2,2 (4) is what I'd use more. It's like with Cage. Don't have to be hyper aggressive. Sub will back him to the wall without ever being in range for standing 2, anyway.

@Rude

I doubt you have to worry about this guy playing it right. Ideally, Quan shouldn't be firing Skulls too much. Sub can Slide on reaction. Random Trances will get you fucked from up to just outside jump distance or you'll eat a Slide at the minimum from anywhere. Coming at Sub is tough because he'll keep you at that 2,2 (4) range with Clone and you won't be fast enough to close the gap before he lays one in your face.

Eventually you're backed up to the wall, possibly after eating 20-25% worth of Slides, d4's, and chip from (2),2,4. You can't just sit there letting him re-wall you off with 2,2 and d4 into Clones. So it's tough because even if you Sky Drop (anywhere), you'll eat 2,2,Freeze right back to where you started.

I've always thought this is tough for Quan. Obviously he can Rune Trap so there's always the threat. But if it's played right, I think it's hard to ever initiate the Trap in the first place.

That said... I don't know this guy, but I somehow doubt he'll play it that way. He'll let you get close, you'll probably d2 the fuck out of him a bunch, he'll get crossed over, eat random Trances, throw Ice Blast and give you a free Sky Drop, let you come in with f1,2, etc. I assume you'll be online so even if he's decent, you can Sky Drop out of the corner for minimum charge and never be stuck. That one factor alone massively changes the match-up.
Actually, this is supposed to be offline this month.

I have been to two offline MK tournaments in my life.

AREN'T MY FRIENDS GREAT????