What's new

General/Other Q&A with Kung Lao

Use this thread to ask questions about KUNG LAO.

Q: Could you list some critical bnb combos for Kung Lao and important strategies (mind games, etc.) that he can use?

A: 112 xx spin, j.dk, dash, 1, dash 24, 1+3, 2. No meter wasted and does 33% damage. Also the start up string is safe on block and easy to hit confirm.

112 xx spin, j.kick, dk, f+3 xx spin.

112 xx spin, j.kick, dk, dash, 1 xx :en hat throw, dash, 1, dash 1, dash 24, 1+3, 2.

Punish all jump ins with Spin :)d:r:fp).

Use his Ground Hat move :)d:l:bp) to zone players at a distance and bait jump ins or to punish reckless whiffed normals from a distance.

Punish projectiles with either his Teleport or Dive Kick (DK only works on certain projectile characters such as Smoke and Reptile).

Q: I'm having trouble getting the hang of his 2, 4, 1+3, 1/3. I can't seem to time the final hit right after he grabs them, any advice on when to input the final hit?

A: As soon as the leg touches his hip. The timing is very strict.

SZSR

Noob
Could you list some critical bnb combos for Kung Lao and important strategies (mind games, etc.) that he can use?

Sequel

Boob Titbot
Could you list some critical bnb combos for Kung Lao and important strategies (mind games, etc.) that he can use?
112 xx spin, j.dk, dash, 1, dash 24, 1+3, 2. Best BnB. No meter wasted and does 33% damage. Also the start up string is safe on block and easy to hit confirm.

I'm having trouble getting the hang of his 2, 4, 1+3, 1/3. I can't seem to time the final hit right after he grabs them, any advice on when to input the final hit?

Omg, I just realized that it is actually 2 or 4 you have to press. The strategy guide has it written down wrong.

Ok, I'm hoping someone can answer this. I am trying to do the "plum flower" combo after the x-ray, it's the infamous 24, 1+3, 2 combo. Ok, so when exactly do you start the combo? As the x-ray is finishing, I think you have to be dashing forward and then you start the combo by hitting 2. I have actually gotten it a few times, but I can tell when to hit the button. Do you hit 2 right after the x-ray animation stops? Or do you hit 2 after they have already bounced? Not sure, hopefully some Kung Lao experts can answer this.

Thanks.

Sequel

Boob Titbot
Ok, I'm hoping someone can answer this. I am trying to do the "plum flower" combo after the x-ray, it's the infamous 24, 1+3, 2 combo. Ok, so when exactly do you start the combo? As the x-ray is finishing, I think you have to be dashing forward and then you start the combo by hitting 2. I have actually gotten it a few times, but I can tell when to hit the button. Do you hit 2 right after the x-ray animation stops? Or do you hit 2 after they have already bounced? Not sure, hopefully some Kung Lao experts can answer this.

Thanks.
While Lao breaks their neck, start dashing, once the animation pulls back to normal finish your dash and immediately hit 24. I usually piano roll the 2 and 4. This is something you just got to practice over and over.

While Lao breaks their neck, start dashing, once the animation pulls back to normal finish your dash and immediately hit 24. I usually piano roll the 2 and 4. This is something you just got to practice over and over.
Ok thanks man, this is exactly what I am looking for. Time to hit the training room and see if I can get it down.

Wow man, this is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo hard. I got it 3 times in a row once and I couldn't believe it. I would love to see a video of someone getting it 10 times in a row. I don't think it can be done.

ONE DS

Noob
:rI have a couple of questions.

1) In Kung Lao mirrors, what is the most efficient way to punish his spin? I know it can be done and im thinking dash 1,1,2 bnb?

2)After rewatching some of the powerup vids i saw EMP Perfect Legeng using :r3 into spin to end some of his combos, is there any signifigance to using this rather than using dash 1 dash 24 1+3 as the combo ender or is it maybe just easier to do under pressure?

AC1984

Kaballin!
He uses the roll+ spin in order to be closer to the opponent. If he does the regular juggle he'll push the opponent to ofar meaning that he'll have to chase him after that.

ONE DS

Noob
Thank you! I didn't think about the spacing at all in comparison to the normal bnb. Now when i'm having trouble closing in i'll know i can use that to stay on top of them.

The other thing I noticed with Kung Lao is that it is really hard to do his EX Teleport. If you just hit down/up and then block, it doesn't always come out. Is there some trick to getting it to come out everytime? Help please... :)

Hit UP and Block at the same time rather Up then Block.
Yeah, I tried that, it doesn't always come out. Go into a training room and hit down then hit up + block and you will see it is really random. I can pull off all his big combos, but this one basic move give me trouble.

Sequel

Boob Titbot
Yeah, I tried that, it doesn't always come out. Go into a training room and hit down then hit up + block and you will see it is really random. I can pull off all his big combos, but this one basic move give me trouble.
It's actually DOWN (BLOCK) UP. The block is pushed in between Down and Up. Works every time for me.

I also HOLD Block while pushing UP.

Xyero

Noob
Can anyone explain exactly how to land the dash FP after a dive kick in his BnB combo?

112 xx spin, j.dk, dash, 1

Loot

the special effects
How in the world do you link multiple dive kicks into corner combos (against non Sheevas)? At best I can do the normal 1 1 2 spin j.k xx dk then another quick dk after landing.

edit: Just figured it out, feel like a major dummy.

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
How in the world do you link multiple dive kicks into corner combos (against non Sheevas)? At best I can do the normal 1 1 2 spin j.k xx dk then another quick dk after landing.

edit: Just figured it out, feel like a major dummy.
In case anyone else is having the issue to do dive kick loops in the corner, don't do j.k xx dk too fast.

There should be an deliberate delay between the j.k and dk, this allows the opponent to get knocked slightly higher in the air each time. Sometimes the negative edging can cause issues if you use 4 for the j.k so I recommend using 3 xx d.4 instead of 4 xx d.4

Last time I checked (which was first week it was out) I was able to get four j.k xx dk reps off a (1, 1, 2 xx spin) in the corner. I never do four reps in games, though I have hit three reps several times (I admit it's rare they don't get broken before then, lol).

When doing three reps, I do the first two j.k xx dk reps slow, then the last one quickly and go into (2, 4, 1+3, 2) or (X-Ray, f.dash, 2, 4, 1+3, 2)

Edit: Also, for the the first j.k xx dk rep do jump forward, then do jump back for the remaining reps.

Can anyone explain how to land the dash FP after a dive kick in his BnB combo: 112 xx spin, j.dk, dash, 1 ?
i just recently figured this out so heres how i do it:

- start your string 1,1,2xx spin for example
- after the spin, jump towards them and try to hit the dive kick as low as possible aiming to hit the legs
- make sure to buffer the dash as your landing to have a better chance at success with hitting the dash 1
-after hitting the dash 1 you have to dash again if going for the 2,4, 1+3, 2/4 combo or you can end with the f+3xxspin to keep close pressure.

i've heard some people say that throwing an :en hat after the spin then hitting the dive kick dash 1 was easier for them so you might want to give that a try

oBryant

Noob
The other thing I noticed with Kung Lao is that it is really hard to do his EX Teleport. If you just hit down/up and then block, it doesn't always come out. Is there some trick to getting it to come out everytime? Help please... :)
Try hitting any normal with block. like down up blk+fp

Spin Punishment?

Haven't played in a little while, so I went online for a bit for some matches.

Two things with Lao's spin that I don't remember happening before:

1)I think I was uppercutted out of a normal spin.

2)I think I was thrown out of a spin as well.

Now, I could have remembered this wrong or just dreamed it up, or maybe this was always there? Can anyone confirm /deny?

Or I can always test this out later after work lol