What's new

Video/Tutorial - Ethereal Pushing Ethereal Further - Optimal Combos and Meter Build by TakeAChance

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight

Hey fellow Mileena mains, and those who are interested in playing her.

Been a while since I have done a video update, but you may want to check out the latest offering. I have picked up Ethereal Mileena as my main variation and until a few days ago, did not spend in depth time in the lab with her. That all changed within the last few days.

This video highlights the combos you should be using if you are going to main Ethereal, but also contains information that is universal across the variations for meterbuild.

The Breakdown
To break things down. *Note, please read this after you watch the video for more clarity*

Mileena's current standard BNB's for optimal combos are Opener into b34~sai into ender of choice.

In Ethereal it usually looks something like this: 21~roll B34~sai B22~1+2 / B22~sai for meter build/ 214 for oki.

Ethereal is a very heavily meter dependent variation so I set out to change her combos. I feel that you have to in order to get the most out of Ethereal due to her meter dependancy. The standard combo above build abouts 20% of a bar of meter and does ~28%

The modified combo off of 21 looks like this:

21~roll JF4 telekick~sai run B22~sai /B22 1+3 / 214. =30%

This combo results in a damage increase, as well as it builds about 33% of a bar or 1/3.

So basically, we are looking at a consistent increase in damage, as well as meter build.

Why JF4 or JB4 compared to B3~telekick

B3~telekick is widely inconsistent as it is distance dependent from where mileena actually hits the opponent. If she is close to the oponent and punishes, it's pretty easy. If she is farther away odds are your b3 telekick will miss. JF4 and JB4 eliminate this inconsistency.

Well how am I supposed to know when to use JF4 or JB4 in my combos?
It's simple.

The starters:
B22
F24
B12

will all use a JF4 after the roll.

The starters:
F12B4

Will all use JB4 after the roll.

It's that simple.

What about EX Fade combos?
Nothing changes when we do an ex fade combo. You use the same principle as above. If the string before your roll is B22, then do a JF4 after the roll.

If the string after the ex fade is 123 do a JB4.

Alright, I'm sold, give me my combos and damages in Ethereal with these optimized setups!
Thanks to my handy dandy notebook, I have them all ready for you!

All of these combos can substitute 21U4 at the end for the OKI setup for the same damage. :)
Meterless

Jump Forward 4

B22~roll JF4~teleportkick~air sai Run B22 Sai (teleport backwards) = 32% and 33% meterbuild

F24~roll JF4~teleportkick~air sai Run B22 Sai (teleport backwards) = 32% and 33% meterbuild

21~roll JF4~teleportkick~air sai Run B22 Sai (teleport backwards) = 30% and 33% meterbuild

Jump Backward 4

123~roll JB4~teleportkick~air sai Run B22 Sai (teleport backwards) = 33% and 33% meterbuild

F12B4~roll JB4~teleportkick~air sai Run B22 Sai (teleport backwards) = 33% and 33% meterbuild

Hope this helps all Mileena players. Hail the Empress.

@Mr. Mileena
@1man3letters
@theGabStandard
@YOMI RM SaltFace
@ZeroEffect
@Pig Of The Hut
@MajinBerserker
@ExpiredTrapLord
@Yoaks
@Baconlord

+ any others I forgot to tag.

Last edited:

ExpiredCodes

The Yankees blew a 3-0 lead in the 2004 ALCS.
This is really good shit dude. My biggest problems with this variation since the EX Fade buff has always been damage and meter dependency on a character that's already meter dependent but these combos really nullify my issues.

Euph0nic

Purple Glowy Stuff
Excellent work. Optimization of this character since the EX Fade buff has been something i wanted to do, thanks very much for this.

Yoaks

A spaceman
Well this couldn't have been posted at a better time for me. Going to actually pick this variation up tonight. I like what I'm seeing!

E

Eldriken

Well this couldn't have been posted at a better time for me. Going to actually pick this variation up tonight. I like what I'm seeing!
Do what you will, sir! THE EARTH SHALL TREMBLE BENEATH YOUR FEET SOON ENOUGH.

ExpiredCodes

The Yankees blew a 3-0 lead in the 2004 ALCS.
So here's something nice I just found about the 123 starter, you can actually do JF4 after Ball Roll as well as JB4 depending on the position you want to put your opponent in. You just can't input 4 too quickly or it'll whiff.

E

Eldriken

I don't think I'll have to worry about the earth shaking. Doomsday isn't in this game. And you'll probably just switch to Jacqui anyways.
Tremor makes the Earth shake a lot more than Doomsday does. =P I'm trying to taper off from playing Jacqui, by the way.

Blonde_Huntress

Edenian Witch <3
Nice stuff @TakeAChance ! I really like the research that you put into this project.

I just really, really, REALLY wish Mileena was able to build meter to the extent of, say, Kung Lao. She'd be so beastly.

I'm still hoping on the next patch that they tighten up the start frames on her regular fades. Maybe a nice little buff to her meter building wouldn't hurt either. ;P

Endding

You picked a bad time to get lost friend
Always believed Ethereal was a dark horse since the patch, great work man.

Jolt

Uprise
@TakeAChance
How hard is it to link the J4~TK after the roll? And how consistent is this on those weird AA rolls where Mileena is farther out?
I haven't tested on the AA rolls myself, but for linking the J4~TK, I have it pretty much guaranteed as long as the j4 connects by doing d4d3 to kick and teleport. I have not yet the TK fail when a kick connected using this method.

Currently, I'm struggling with getting the ender down consistently. I've found that it's easier to connect 21~sai instead of b22~sai and you lose 1% damage. Obviously, that one percent will add up but not as much as a full drop would.

Blonde_Huntress

Edenian Witch <3
So earlier today I was testing online with Ethereal...I actually really like forward fade after b2/air sai sometimes. Makes great wake up pressure into F12. Throwing in EX fade for mix up makes it a splendid looking cluster of confusion.

Online opponents I faced seemed to get overwhelmed. I think that's one of the potential perks of this variation. You can condition them into more pressure during your offense. Fades grant such freedom on that front.

I just wish she got better meter building. She builds it sooooo slow. :/

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
So earlier today I was testing online with Ethereal...I actually really like forward fade after b2/air sai sometimes. Makes great wake up pressure into F12. Throwing in EX fade for mix up makes it a splendid looking cluster of confusion.

Online opponents I faced seemed to get overwhelmed. I think that's one of the potential perks of this variation. You can condition them into more pressure during your offense. Fades grant such freedom on that front.

I find the opposite. Block strings plus fade away are great meter builders. I don't know, I seem to always have meter when I play as her.

Jolt

Uprise

I find the opposite. Block strings plus fade away are great meter builders. I don't know, I seem to always have meter when I play as her.
I'm completely with TakeAChance on this one. I've been playing/maining Ethereal since the patch and never had a meter issue. One thing to consider is that you can play Ethereal a little differently from the other variations.

Like TakeAChance said, blockstrings + fade away are realy helpful. On the fade away, most players will either block or jump in. This means you can throw a sai if you read block (free meter) teleport kick or air sai if you read a jump, and I haven't seen anyone try to run in yet but IF they did, the sai would still catch them.

One thing I've noticed about ethereal (or at least my playstyle) is I can VERY often connect f3 as many opponents completely choke up once the mind games get to them. Unfortunately, I do not know any good f3 combos for ethereal