What's new

General/Other Purple Rain...Purple Rain! - The Rain General Gameplay Discussion Thread

Husteen

Noob.
yea rains wake up sucks, they'll all get stuffed by down 4 unless you do ex versions..
hey, medina! saw your rain on stream yesterday.
i've been using rain's wakeups online so... i'm not really sure how effective they are lol. sometimes they get stuffed but it might just be online. i've been trying to use wakeup lightning for a combo but i think it's too slow.

does anyone else think that rain's :en teleport should get a hitbox buff like noob's teleport did? there have been a few times where i used it and his armor absorbed an attack but my opponent didn't get hit... then i saw it happen to another rain player online.

BookBurning

Voidwards
Rain's wakeups aren't the best but I wouldn't go so far to say they suck; geyser kick can get stuffed but usually I don't like to spam wakeup moves anyways, it's a guessing game and some characters have it far worse. (Shang Tsung.)

I don't personally think Ex Teleport should get a hitbox buff as well, the different between Rain and Noob getting a teleport hitbox buff is that Noob needed it, Rain doesn't because it's not near as much of an essential part of his game. Also, although it isn't safe by any means, it's much safer than Noobs teleport.

Husteen

Noob.
all wakeup moves are pretty much unbeatable after the 1.05 patch as long as you perform it within the first 4 frames.

i'll fight my friend's kitana or sindel and they jump a lot to avoid rain's lightning and regular teleport so it's annoying when i use the meter for :en teleport and they don't get hit even thought they were in the middle of an attack. i just feel like it's one of those attacks that should always connect if the opponent isn't blocking.

while we're on the subject, noob's teleport was also slowed down and it just looks weird. i've never seen it whiff unless someone was ducking.

BookBurning

Voidwards
While I do understand exactly what you mean, you have to keep in mind that an attack that always hits if executed when your opponent jumps would be a bit broken in a way, especially when taking into account situational things. I've had it happen to me alot too and find it quite frustrating. Also with regular teleport, your friend should just D1 into a combo, both the ex teleport and the regular teleport are very punishable.

While were on that subject though, shoutouts to Kabal's IAGB.

Then again Noobs will always hit so.. Eh, I guess when it comes down to it I just don't mind having to time it a bit more, but that's just me personally.

Husteen

Noob.
rain's lightning after a grab used to stuff opponent's wakeups pretty well but, after the 1.05 patch, he'll just eat a wakeup.
i was playing with my friend online and it seemed a grab>backdash>lightning stuffed his wakeups just the same except for ones that advance them any.

does anyone know if certain low hitbox characters, like kitana, can duck under rain's roundhouse with something like a d3?

BookBurning

Voidwards
rain's lightning after a grab used to stuff opponent's wakeups pretty well but, after the 1.05 patch, he'll just eat a wakeup.
i was playing with my friend online and it seemed a grab>backdash>lightning stuffed his wakeups just the same except for ones that advance them any.

does anyone know if certain low hitbox characters, like kitana, can duck under rain's roundhouse with something like a d3?
Yeah there's a couple that can. Shang Tsung and Kitana 100 percent. There may be more but I have yet to confirm besides those two.

Edit: I believe Mileena's as well.

Canoptek Zombie

Error Macro
lol and what's online play comprised of? scrubs :p but no I completely agree bro, also is it just me or is 4,RH dash, d2 hard to pull off?

rainuS

Prince of Edenia
Its very hard and almost impossible to perform it regularly. My advice is that u should have to go to practice mode and try to perform it. Good luck. Always better to use what comes often instead ofwhat is feasible.

YOMI Reno_Racks

I have a dream...
also is it just me or is 4,RH dash, d2 hard to pull off?
Yeah it's definitely not a bnb. Wish it was but no one can land it consistently mid screen. In the corner it can be done consistently though for serious damage and it's safe. I go for it all the time and almost never drop it. So if you're opponent is in the corner you 4RH, dash, d2, 43xxbubble, d2, 43xxgeyser for 50% damage.

Canoptek Zombie

Error Macro
also what is a good anti-air for rain? it seems that when I beat someone to the JIP I cant follow up with 1,2, or 4,3...any way to catch them before they hit the ground?

also what is a good anti-air for rain? it seems that when I beat someone to the JIP I cant follow up with 1,2, or 4,3...any way to catch them before they hit the ground?
both 2 and 1 are good

2 feels better to me for some reason, maybe playing smoke so much. not sure if it actually is though

you can also back up and b2 1+2

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Yeah it's definitely not a bnb. Wish it was but no one can land it consistently mid screen. In the corner it can be done consistently though for serious damage and it's safe. I go for it all the time and almost never drop it. So if you're opponent is in the corner you 4RH, dash, d2, 43xxbubble, d2, 43xxgeyser for 50% damage.
Midscreen, it's actually really viable...just not easy. Before I stopped playing, I could do it consistently. I'm pretty sure Rain players have it down as well.

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
Midscreen, it's actually really viable...just not easy. Before I stopped playing, I could do it consistently. I'm pretty sure Rain players have it down as well.
Nope. Ive played almost everyone and seen them try and fail it over and over in games vs me. Like reno said its much better in the corner but i still dont bother with it. I take what i can get 100% of the time. I almost never drop any combo and i still get the great damage. I have yet to play someone who can hit this more than once in a match.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
Some things I noted while dicking around in training mode:

If you add standing 2 after a B2 1+2 starter and go into the normal uppercut combo....and this works for the 12F4 starter as well...you get around 38-40% damage and the uppercut is much easier to do.

For combo enders...I've been toying around with B3. It does close to as much damage as a geyser kick and in scaling, you only lose one or two percent vs. geyser kick, but you keep the opponent close to you, which in some matches may be useful.

What do you guys think? Is standing 2 worth using in combos? It seems to have a pretty big hitbox and seems more damage-scaling friendly.

I'll leave this info for the Rain Makers and let you guys set me straight

YOMI Reno_Racks

I have a dream...
You heard Smarrgasm pimp, not viable. If you can land it consistently then make a video proving your claim. Oh but wait, you're not playing anymore? How come?
1 is 1 frame faster but 2 does 2% more damage and has a better vertical hitbox so I usually use 2. 4xxbubble has much longer reach than 1 or 2 so it's really good for deep jumpkicks or empty jump in attempts. As far as air to air you should dash and do your 43xxbubble combo. Below are the combos for those situations.

Easier- 1, dash, 2,43xxbubble, d2, dash, 43xxlightning, RH, slight step forward, 4xxgeyser- 41%

Harder- 2, dash, 2,43xxbubble, d2, dash, 43xxlightning, RH, slight step forward, 4xxgeyser- 43%

Farther reach version- 4xxbubble, d2, 43xxlightning, RH, 4xxgeyser- 35%

Air to Air- Air punch, dash, 43xxbubble, d2, dash, 43xxlightning, RH, 4xxgeyser- 29%

THTB

You heard Smarrgasm pimp, not viable. If you can land it consistently then make a video proving your claim. Oh but wait, you're not playing anymore? How come?
I haven't been playing MK9 much for a while. I pretty much quit once TTT2 released. Game just isn't as fun for me anymore.

Also, the uppercut combo is absolutely viable. I always say this...my execution is not that good. So for me to say I was capable of consistently nailing it, it can't be that hard to. I probably can't do it now, since I haven't seriously touched the game since CoCo last month, and even then it was literally entering to enter to support MK.

YOMI Reno_Racks

I have a dream...
I haven't been playing MK9 much for a while. I pretty much quit once TTT2 released. Game just isn't as fun for me anymore.

Also, the uppercut combo is absolutely viable. I always say this...my execution is not that good. So for me to say I was capable of consistently nailing it, it can't be that hard to. I probably can't do it now, since I haven't seriously touched the game since CoCo last month, and even then it was literally entering to enter to support MK.
I definitely have never thought of you as a bullshitter based off all of your posts I have read but the 4RH uppercut combo is not something anyone can land 4 out of 5 times which would be the minimum for it to be viable IMO. If you get lucky and land it 3 out of 10 times it's not a Bnb. This combo has been known since before EVO 2012 and still not one Rain player has proven to land this consistently, not even Foxy himself. So if all of the Rain mains can't do it including Foxy who posted it to begin with then it is obviously not a viable Bnb. On a side note, who do you play as in TTT2? My son loves that game.

rainuS

Prince of Edenia
I totally agree with Reno. With all respect THTB, but I do not know any Rain player who can do it consistently. Risk/reward is not worth to try it in real fight.

THTB

I definitely have never thought of you as a bullshitter based off all of your posts I have read but the 4RH uppercut combo is not something anyone can land 4 out of 5 times which would be the minimum for it to be viable IMO. If you get lucky and land it 3 out of 10 times it's not a Bnb. This combo has been known since before EVO 2012 and still not one Rain player has proven to land this consistently, not even Foxy himself. So if all of the Rain mains can't do it including Foxy who posted it to begin with then it is obviously not a viable Bnb. On a side note, who do you play as in TTT2? My son loves that game.
I use Jinpachi and Armor King. I'm gonna drop Armor King for Ancient Ogre once I can play him, though.

But yeah, before I stopped playing the game, I was using Rain a bit, and getting the combo landed wasn't too difficult. You can ask FrothyOmen, who has played my Rain after I learned this combo. Seriously, I don't play Kabal because my execution is just not that good...but doing this consistently was very possible for me.