What's new

General/Other Purple Rain...Purple Rain! - The Rain General Gameplay Discussion Thread

Lyuben

Sinestro's might!
I wonder. Will the water spout projectile work like Sektors flame? I hope it does, it will allow you to end a combo in a way that stops wake up from opponent. But if there are better combos then I'm sure I would use them.

iMLGzus

Venom Addict/Space Pope
Wonder what the properties on water orb and Ex orb are. Like how long can each be controlled, how far can each one go etc. His lightning is also friggen sexy, and possibly his coolest special (aside from his roundhouse, duh...). Looks like his combos are high execution, but will end up being high reward, maybe 45-50% with one bar? Could just be wishful thinking. Might be closer to 40% with a bar. Guess we need to wait and see.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Okay, spent a good while in practice with him. Some cool stuff of his:

-Roundhouse can be dash cancelled if you hold down 4. It also builds some good meter, even if cancelled.
-Teleport can be done in the air.
-Lightning to bubble works anywhere.
-Bubble leaves you standing, no matter what, so it gives Rain a great tool to prevent wakeup attacks.
-Boost gives you a damage boost, but you cannot block. Normal boost is slight and not worth using. EX Boost gives a HUGE damage boost...like...my combo of choice does 36% normally. With boost, it does 51%. So you can see the damage boost is insane. I think eventually, this will be a big tool for Rain.

From the looks of it, Rain is a very offensive character.

Mt. Mutombo

Asshole by nature
Loving Rain so much, has anybody found his inouts for 2nd,stage, babality etc?
Dunno how but i had everything from the get go

2nd Fatality up, down, left, right, 2
Stage Fatality right, down, right 4
Babality left down right 1

Also the ending is kinda glitched, you know when you beat shao kahn theres a brief cinematic of the character beating him up...during mine rain was invisible...btw rains ending is sick as well lol

Crathen

Death is my business
Since i'll have to wait tomorrow to download Rain , i have some questions.

1 is his mixup string safe on both options? ( seems so to me )
2 this might need frame data testing , what's his fastest punish string? i also feel his specials aren't much fast / pretty much a Sektor oriented character
3 what would be his guaranteed string after d4 on hit? ( if he can go with his mixup string that would be good )
4 After a bubble in a combo if ya drop the opponent near you , are you at advantage?
5 what EX special moves have armor?

that's all for now

PANDEMlC

El Psy Congroo
What do you guys think are his best wakeup options? Seems like ex teleport would be pretty good for getting out of someone crossing you up.

THTB

1. Looks it.
2. Looks to be 1 or 2.
3. Probably 43.
4. I believe so.
5. Roundhouse, geyser, and stream have armor.

Albo

Noob
his aqua splash is a great anti air especially for jump in punchers and the geyser kick is great for countering aggressive crossover punch players.

PANDEMlC

El Psy Congroo
If you do a ex move while you are using ex H20 Boost Rain turns entirely pink. Should be good for some troll finish poses.

Albo

Noob
If you do a ex move while you are using ex H20 Boost Rain turns entirely pink. Should be good for some troll finish poses.
exact same thing that happens with quan chi although he can turn purple and red too, but i find rains roundhouse to be the most stylish way to finish your opponent.

was just about to take my dog for a walk when it started raining more than it ever has this year :D lol rain must want me to practice with him more

TrickyNick

Weather Man
So far I like rain. With the current knowledge he may be a third for me. As of right now comparing him to sektor I think would be a mistake as Sektor has 53% combos with one meter. A good low starter into high combos, good zoning.

Rain I find to be flashy. Fast teleport I really like. He has alot of tools and his 1,2,f4 is a fast combo. I bet it could punish reptile dash, not sure though. I think he will be a great character when we figure him out. He seems to have decent stagger moves as well.

THTB

Played with Rain a bit with Book. Roundhouse is hilariously good as a mixup in itself. If you cancel into it, you can dash cancel and either continue pressure or throw, or you can let it go. If they try to escape at the wrong time, they get smacked.

Towards the later matches, I started to use bubble for positioning over the damage potential. I would use it to put the opponent towards the corner, and not combo after to keep them standing with advantage. It worked a bit.

TrickyNick

Weather Man
Played with Rain a bit with Book. Roundhouse is hilariously good as a mixup in itself. If you cancel into it, you can dash cancel and either continue pressure or throw, or you can let it go. If they try to escape at the wrong time, they get smacked.
I think your on to something there with the roundhouse cancels. Im looking forward to trying some of this later.

THTB

It's really good, too, because all the while, whatever you choose to do will build meter, and you're safe for the most part.

Albo

Noob
he looks to me as quite a difficult character to master unlike scorpion or kano and won't be as accessible and noob freindly as them. he'll be more in depth like sub zero, kabal and such imo which take time and dedication to master. i'd love to see how people play rain in a month or two.

PimpUigi

Sex Kick
I think most characters in this game are easy to learn.
Especially Kabal and Reptile...and they're some of the harder characters to learn aren't they??

Then again I keep putting off what I perceive as harder characters to learn.
Sonya, Jax, and maybe Raiden.