What's new

Purple Pain setups

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
Much Like D'vorah, Rain will have to sacrifice damage in order to not only set up Purple Pain safely, but also so the lightning strike will hit as meaty as possible to prevent any dashes or jumps.

The most reliable solution? Rain's B1 on hit against an airborne opponent leaves them in the air longer so they fall slower to the ground.

Please note that while I did not cover wakeup roll, you still have enough time to react to it and full combo punish it/ grab them out of it.

This setup is the most promising version so far but I encourage everyone to keep experimenting in the lab.

~RSB

@M2Dave
@Evil Canadian
@Mandolore1123
@Second Saint
@just_2swift
@Eddy Wang
@Arqwart
@STB Bodam
@Zviko
@StormGoddess
@Archgamer
@Dante
@All other Rain player.

Zviko

Noob
If they don't have breakaway, you can do 242 instead of B1. You do around 3% more and still cover the wake up.

Zviko

Noob
Yes but the lightning will come out significantly slower and they have more time to react
React to what? It's exactly the same setup. They still have to block the lightning and you get huge advantage. Unless they dash backwards which they can do in both scenarios.

DarksydeDash

React to what? It's exactly the same setup. They still have to block the lightning and you get huge advantage. Unless they dash backwards which they can do in both scenarios.
Backdashing is not an option

Mandolore1123

Man of Science Who Wields the Living Lightning
so I tested against back roll. Easiest way is to just read it and do a medium lightning, but you can dash up and throw them too. There a weird sweet spot where you won't get hit by the lightning while you throw them though. If you throw too early you both get hit by lightning and you lose the full damage of the throw

DarksydeDash

What? I just did it with Rain. And Lao before and his dash sucks. They can forward dash out of it as well.

Edit: Actually they (Rain at least) can just walk out of it, both directions.
Including the d3 meaty?

Zviko

Noob
Even Kitana who has one of the worst backdashes can backdash on wake up. Meaty D3 works but they can still backdash and block it which will put them far away and then they can back dash again to even avoid your F2. F2 D4 will still hit someone like Kitana though. She can still whiff punish your F2 before D4 comes out.

DarksydeDash

Even Kitana who has one of the worst backdashes can backdash on wake up. Meaty D3 works but they can still backdash and block it which will put them far away and then they can back dash again to even avoid your F2. F2 D4 will still hit someone like Kitana though. She can still whiff punish your F2 before D4 comes out.
You using Geyser or super kick to set it up?

I might mess around with purple pain again just to see if I have any change of heart about it.

These setplays looks sick, but you have to wonder how reliable they would be in a real match. Rain already has low damage output so I'm not sure sacrificing more damage just to pressure is worth it. Especially when people can exploit holes in them if its not done right.

Zviko

Noob
I might mess around with purple pain again just to see if I have any change of heart about it.

These setplays looks sick, but you have to wonder how reliable they would be in a real match. Rain already has low damage output so I'm not sure sacrificing more damage just to pressure is worth it. Especially when people can exploit holes in them if its not done right.
I've been using Purple Pain since he was released and setups do work but that's only because people have no idea how to deal with them yet. After they stop getting hit by the lightning they just start blocking it every time. And that's when you realize his damage make them not worth it. Look at the setup op did for example. It's 15%. If he opens them up with a throw/shimmy, that whole sequence barely does 30% for 2 bars. Or 28% 1 bar if you throw. Simply using 2 bars with Geyser Palm does more damage than that whole setup sequence. Not only that but they have options to get out. Basically you are forced to use Hydroboost with it if you really want to use it. There are still ways to get out mid screen but in the corner they work but at least you get a decent damage before the setup.

STB Bodam

"Game... Blouses."
I know everyone is poking holes in this setup but I love it and this is something I was hoping to find with his Lightning before too long, so good stuff @DarksydeDash. I'm really excited to lab this a bit and see if I can work this into my game and potentially add to it. But anything to help Rain's pressure and get the opponent thinking about our options and second-guessing what we're about to do is good, so this is just another thing we can put in our back pocket.

Strangely enough, I knew we'd be finding more uses for B1 the more time people had to get their hands on Rain. When combined with Rain's strong back-dash/footsy game, F2-1+3 Krushing Blow, and devastating ability to get Krushing Blows on both our back and forward throws; I think B1 becomes a strong neutral option as a stagger on it's own.

Dante

Noob
I have a theory that Purple pain is ment to be used with quantum rift to enable you to use it outside of setups. Its probably not as strong and reliable as hydroboost+plane+geyser palm but has some extra uses that might have potential

I have a theory that Purple pain is ment to be used with quantum rift to enable you to use it outside of setups. Its probably not as strong and reliable as hydroboost+plane+geyser palm but has some extra uses that might have potential
Quantum rift only absorbs one projectile and then goes away. Multiple characters have amplified projectiles that fires double. Rain is getting hit.

Dante

Noob
Quantum rift only absorbs one projectile and then goes away. Multiple characters have amplified projectiles that fires double. Rain is getting hit.
Ofc. Even mileena normal standing sai is a double hit. I'm talking matchups that it can exist. In some it can outtrade (ex Noob).