What's new

Punishing Pokes With Divekicks.

Error

DF2+R2
How u do that?
Do I need to do instant divekicks, jump back divekicks or forward divekicks? Most of the time it just ends up whiffing for me and I eat another d1 cutter.

(If there's already a thread on this do whatever you Sonya mods do.)

RTM2004

Revenant Jade
How u do that?
Do I need to do instant divekicks, jump back divekicks or forward divekicks? Most of the time it just ends up whiffing for me and I eat another d1 cutter.

(If there's already a thread on this do whatever you Sonya mods do.)
Go in practice mode and practice Sonya's instant Dive Kick, the fastest one is where she barely lifts off the ground which is the one you use to punish blocked pokes and whiffs. Since you are talking about Kitana, Sonya can Dive Kick her Cutter if it whiffs, F2,1 that whiffs, 2,1 that whiffs, D3 that whiffs, and Square Wave upon landing gets Dive Kicked. D1 is harder to punish with her Dive Kick usually against a D1 happy Kitana, I step back and Dive Kick her next D1 attempt.

Jumping back/forward Dive Kicks depend on the situation. Jump back Dive Kick I find usually useful in corner combos and if your opponent if jumping in towards you, stepping back jump back instant Dive Kick typically punish their poke attempts and whiff attacks. Jump forward Dive Kick is when you want to play offense where you can punish a projectile that miss like Scorpion's Spear, Noob's Shadow Tackle or punish a poker like Mileena's D4 when you want Sonya to move in.

Keep in mind instant Dive Kick 2,1 or 4 Cartwheel can drop online up close upon reaction, so fully practice both.

It is really easy if you are right in their face. You can jump backwards or straight up and instantly dive kick into a full combo.

Practice your bnbs (the corner one mainly) because it includes a dive kick in the middle of it. Once you have perfected that combo the dive kick should seem easier in other situations too.