What's new

PS5 Event Discussion

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous

Was I the only one watching the RezEvil reveal thinking "wow... Injustice 3 is going to look so dope... look at those faces man!! MK12 and IJ3 story modes and start/end of match sequences are going to be mind blowing!!"

Pretty psyched for Solar Ash. I loved Hyperlight Drifter and will buy anything that studio puts out after it.

New Rachet and Clank looks amazing. The sort of "Pikmin-like" game looks like alot of fun as well. "Astronaut dark souls" looked a bit interesting but the gameplay seemed to diverge alot from the mood it was trying to set. Also hype for RE VIII

Disappointed that they covered pretty much every genre but fighting games though. PS4 having SFV and XONE having KI were huge selling points for the consoles last gen.

Last edited:

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
Considering how many of the major next gen titles will be on PC and with Microsoft moving towards having their exclusives on PC as well, I'm not feeling the appeal. Demon Souls and Ratchet is nice but long gone are the days when Sony exclusives consisted of juggernauts like GTA and Metal Gear. Cool to see oddworld back, but too many movie trailers disguised as games.

I've never been a PC master race guy but with how incremental the graphical upgrade is along with a lack of killer apps, I think I'm gonna move to get a nice PC. I'll still get Nintendo as long as they continue to ball out

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
PC master race guy

long gone are the days when Sony exclusives consisted of juggernauts like GTA and Metal Gear.
Yeah, assuming you want to wait liturally years. I mean Red Dead Redemption 2 only just came out on PC and we never got the God of War or Uncharted games. Do not be fooled.. PS still and always has used utterly horrid exclusives and still will. I mean where is my Final Fantasy VII Remake... sure it will come, but when? 2 years from now? And be buggy as all fuck!

Last edited:

mastermalone

Use only logic, please
I think $600 for a console is insane. I can spend a fraction of that on a new graphics card and have a much better experience on PC, and access to 90% of the worthwhile games that will be coming out. I can also continue to upgrade my PC over the next 4 years while PS5 owners will be stuck with their 2020 machine. I'm legit surprised console gaming is even still a thing with how quickly new technology becomes obsolete.
Possibly, if you find a nice graphics card on sale somewhere. I can tell you that the GTX 2070 that I bought cost me 600.00 after taxes last year when I bought it. That's not even a top of the line graphics card but it is still a very good one for running games at high frame rates and resolutions. The least that you will spend on a decent graphics card is around $450-$500 USD for 1080p gaming at high frame rates. The bottleneck will come into play if your CPU is lacking. Make sure you are running a decent CPU with a decent motherboard as well. Most of my builds are Intel but my latest is an AMD build with a Ryzen 7 CPU. It's really fast and so far, I have not noticed any problems running game at the highest level.

Even my Oculus Rift S is running like a dream on my build. But never be fooled into thinking that you can build a better machine for a few hundred dollars than a console. I've build many PC's in the past and I can tell you from experience that you will literally get what you pay for unless you get something on a really good sale. My total cost for my latest rig with parts found on sale was about $1500.00. The Graphics card and the CPU took up most of that cost. The 32 gigs of RAM was somewhat costly as well. But, I wanted a good gaming rig, not just something to do my work with.

Just some of the items that I used in my build.

There are other parts that I am not listing here such as the PC case, CPU cooler, case fans etc.

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
1usb c and 1usb a :(:(:(

This will be a pain in ass for offline tournies as either usb hubs or a to c adapters be needed (unsure what models do/don't cause input lag)

I think $600 for a console is insane. I can spend a fraction of that on a new graphics card and have a much better experience on PC, and access to 90% of the worthwhile games that will be coming out. I can also continue to upgrade my PC over the next 4 years while PS5 owners will be stuck with their 2020 machine. I'm legit surprised console gaming is even still a thing with how quickly new technology becomes obsolete.
I fully expect console mid-generation upgrades (like the Xbox One X and PlayStation 4 Pro) to be a thing again. So console gamers will be able to upgrade mid gen.

While I'm not a platform elitest myself as I think you know, hardware to hardware, a solid PC will

No wonder Sony is always the best. Looks like they're taking over another generation.
The Xbox 360 performed better than the PlayStation 3 that generation, so not always. Both platforms had excellent games by the end of their life though.

Don Mattrick was completely disconnected from his customer base and the Xbox One was poorly designed; Microsoft blundered big thi. Spencer ended up getting the nod to take over and over time, he's really pushed the brand in the right direction. The Xbox One X, while too late to "win" this generation, is a fantastic console, and it will be interesting to see where they go with the Xbox Series X.

Both platforms this coming generation are probably going to be great for console gamers; less of a gap than this gen.

Considering how many of the major next gen titles will be on PC and with Microsoft moving towards having their exclusives on PC as well, I'm not feeling the appeal. Demon Souls and Ratchet is nice but long gone are the days when Sony exclusives consisted of juggernauts like GTA and Metal Gear. Cool to see oddworld back, but too many movie trailers disguised as games.

I've never been a PC master race guy but with how incremental the graphical upgrade is along with a lack of killer apps, I think I'm gonna move to get a nice PC. I'll still get Nintendo as long as they continue to ball out
Microsoft has ultimately already done that with this generation. Halo 5: Guardians is the only big exclusive that didn't make the jump to PC. Halo: Infinite is going to launch on PC, as well as Xbox Series X and Xbox One. They're really allowing choice for their customers, giving flexibility, and I personally like that direction.

DeftMonk

Noob
I fully expect console mid-generation upgrades (like the Xbox One X and PlayStation 4 Pro) to be a thing again. So console gamers will be able to upgrade mid gen.

While I'm not a platform elitest myself as I think you know, hardware to hardware, a solid PC will

The Xbox 360 performed better than the PlayStation 3 that generation, so not always. Both platforms had excellent games by the end of their life though.

Don Mattrick was completely disconnected from his customer base and the Xbox One was poorly designed; Microsoft blundered big thi. Spencer ended up getting the nod to take over and over time, he's really pushed the brand in the right direction. The Xbox One X, while too late to "win" this generation, is a fantastic console, and it will be interesting to see where they go with the Xbox Series X.

Both platforms this coming generation are probably going to be great for console gamers; less of a gap than this gen.

Microsoft has ultimately already done that with this generation. Halo 5: Guardians is the only big exclusive that didn't make the jump to PC. Halo: Infinite is going to launch on PC, as well as Xbox Series X and Xbox One. They're really allowing choice for their customers, giving flexibility, and I personally like that direction.
Ya buuuut for those of us with a killer pc rig thinking about getting a console as well for whatever reason it kinda makes it an easier decision. If all the Xbox xclusives (halo gears killer instinct etc.) all are gonna be on pc with cross play... why not get a ps5 and just skip the Xbox?

Ya buuuut for those of us with a killer pc rig thinking about getting a console as well for whatever reason it kinda makes it an easier decision. If all the Xbox xclusives (halo gears killer instinct etc.) all are gonna be on pc with cross play... why not get a ps5 and just skip the Xbox?
That's totally up to you, of course. If the PlayStation exclusives appeal to you, then absolutely go for it.

However, as primarily a PC gamer, at least right now, an Xbox One X is a better companion console in my opinion. Reasons in no particular order:

• Xbox Game Pass Ultimate benefits both platforms, and unlocks a greater host of games on console.
  • Xbox Play Anywhere program allows you to buy a game once and then have it on both platforms.
  • Save data is shared in part or in full between PC and Xbox One for specific games, meaning you can choose where to play and where to continue playing.
  • First party/native Controller support with Windows 10.
  • You can stream games from your Xbox One console to your PC (I haven't done this myself, but it's still a nifty concept).
  • Many Apps between PC and Xbox One are also shared.
Since Windows 10 and Xbox One are from the same parent company, they're going to jive better together.

DeftMonk

Noob
That's totally up to you, of course. If the PlayStation exclusives appeal to you, then absolutely go for it.

However, as primarily a PC gamer, at least right now, an Xbox One X is a better companion console in my opinion. Reasons in no particular order:

• Xbox Game Pass Ultimate benefits both platforms, and unlocks a greater host of games on console.
  • Xbox Play Anywhere program allows you to buy a game once and then have it on both platforms.
  • Save data is shared in part or in full between PC and Xbox One for specific games, meaning you can choose where to play and where to continue playing.
  • First party/native Controller support with Windows 10.
  • You can stream games from your Xbox One console to your PC (I haven't done this myself, but it's still a nifty concept).
  • Many Apps between PC and Xbox One are also shared.
Since Windows 10 and Xbox One are from the same parent company, they're going to jive better together.
Wait what is this a thing now? If I had an Xbox one I could use the same game saves on my pc for gears/ki etc? When I logged in to play ki on Pc I saw it say gears is included with Xbox game pass or wtfever but I honestly have no idea what that means and couldn’t figure it out (I’m either dumb or they didn’t explain it well on the game store lol)

Last generation it was pretty much good to have a PC along with a PS4 since some Xbox exclusives were eventually released on PC (Gears & Halo).

Wait what is this a thing now? If I had an Xbox one I could use the same game saves on my pc for gears/ki etc? When I logged in to play ki on Pc I saw it say gears is included with Xbox game pass or wtfever but I honestly have no idea what that means and couldn’t figure it out (I’m either dumb or they didn’t explain it well on the game store lol)
Yes. For Killer Instinct, this is 100% the case. For Halo: The Master Chief Collection, provided you're playing the Windows 10 Store Version on PC, everything save-wise is shared except for mid-mission Checkpoints.

I'm not sure about the Gears of War franchise, as I haven't played it since Gears of War 3, but Gears of War 4 and Gears 5 are part of Xbox Play Anywhere, so I'd assume they have full to at least partial save sharing.

DeftMonk

Noob
Yes. For Killer Instinct, this is 100% the case. For Halo: The Master Chief Collection, provided you're playing the Windows 10 Store Version on PC, everything save-wise is shared except for mid-mission Checkpoints.

I'm not sure about the Gears of War franchise, as I haven't played it since Gears of War 3, but Gears of War 4 and Gears 5 are part of Xbox Play Anywhere, so I'd assume they have full to at least partial save sharing.
thats pretty cool actually does that also mean u just need to buy the game only once?

thats pretty cool actually does that also mean u just need to buy the game only once?
If it's part of Xbox Play Anywhere, yes. Buy the PC or Xbox One version of the game, get the other at no additional charge.

Sadly, Halo: The Master Chief Collection is not part of that program, so I had to buy it twice, but Killer Instinct is, for example. You can see the list of games here. There's some real good ones in there (and also a lot of fluff). But still, it's a major perk for an Xbox One as a companion platform to a PC.

If you're not familiar with the upcoming Smart Delivery program for Xbox Series X, it's also very cool. No need to buy a first part game for the newer console if you already own it. You can read up on it on this page.

DeftMonk

Noob
If it's part of Xbox Play Anywhere, yes. Buy the PC or Xbox One version of the game, get the other at no additional charge.

Sadly, Halo: The Master Chief Collection is not part of that program, so I had to buy it twice, but Killer Instinct is, for example. You can see the list of games here. There's some real good ones in there (and also a lot of fluff). But still, it's a major perk for an Xbox One as a companion platform to a PC.

If you're not familiar with the upcoming Smart Delivery program for Xbox Series X, it's also very cool. No need to buy a first part game for the newer console if you already own it. You can read up on it on this page.
that is kinda neat I just read about it. Well I sold my xbox one awhile ago but I might get the x series...we will see. I hope they do their own press release akin to the sony one soon.

Immortal

Blind justice....
Unless you really want to play those 3-7 Sony exclusives there is no reason to go PS5 over PC. If you dont care about the money you can have both obviously.

Before the next gen consoles - Nvidia and AMD will release new graphics cards for PC which not only means better performance then anything in the next gen but also means that for example RTX 2080 Ti will probably go down in price to like 500$ or so and even that card is way better then the custom NAVI chips in next gen consoles.

If you already have a decent PC there is no reason to buy new consoles; its probably way better to just upgrade GPU/CPU when needed unless like i said you really want to play those Sony exclusives.

I wont buy any consoles thou i will have both of them coz... work. Doesn't change the fact that for my daily gaming - PC is and will be my platform of choice. Even my current setup is way stronger then any of the upcoming consoles and outside like next GOW on PS5 i really dont see any reason im gonna even power up PS5 (as it was with PS4). PC is just more in almost every way also im a maniac, so (true) 4K@60 fps with maxed everything is something normal for me.

Unless you really want to play those 3-7 Sony exclusives there is no reason to go PS5 over PC. If you dont care about the money you can have both obviously.

Before the next gen consoles - Nvidia and AMD will release new graphics cards for PC which not only means better performance then anything in the next gen but also means that for example RTX 2080 Ti will probably go down in price to like 500$ or so and even that card is way better then the custom NAVI chips in next gen consoles.

If you already have a decent PC there is no reason to buy new consoles; its probably way better to just upgrade GPU/CPU when needed unless like i said you really want to play those Sony exclusives.

I wont buy any consoles thou i will have both of them coz... work. Doesn't change the fact that for my daily gaming - PC is and will be my platform of choice. Even my current setup is way stronger then any of the upcoming consoles and outside like next GOW on PS5 i really dont see any reason im gonna even power up PS5 (as it was with PS4). PC is just more in almost every way also im a maniac, so (true) 4K@60 fps with maxed everything is something normal for me.
Haven´t your heard of PS5's SSD being faster than PCs? /s

Well, it is faster... for now. Eventually it will get outclassed by new PC hardware/architecture, anyways.

Immortal

Blind justice....
Haven´t your heard of PS5's SSD being faster than PCs? /s

Well, it is faster... for now. Eventually it will get outclassed by new PC hardware/architecture, anyways.
You only scratched the surface and it's only semi true; it's a pretty big topic but i will try to keep it short.

Raw speed of PS5 SSD is already doable on PC with SSD on PCIE 4.0 but that's not really whats pretty great on next gen consoles - its the ability to compress and decompress data on the fly, huge amounts (2-3 times of SSD throughput) with specialized chip for that task alone. That will allow really fast loading times / switching between 2 games etc.... but that's about it.

That's the only real advantage over PC which will hold for some time (maybe a year). Everything else is slower / less then current (high tier and above) PC and the difference will become bigger quite fast (faster CPU/GPU/not shared memory etc...), especially with new GPUs coming to PC before the PS5/Xbox premiere.

Times when consoles were cutting edge technology setting new heights on what's possible are long gone and will never come back. On the flip side PC is all of that but... price.