What's new

PS4 Pro is like a 5 years old PC and holding developers back...

StormGoddess

Your mind tricks won't harm me!!!

A Way Out developer said that PS4 Pro is like a 5 years old PC and it’s really holding developers back

By
Lisa Allford

A Way Out is a new game from EA and this game is made by the same developer that was responsible for the brothers which is kind of like co-op kind of game, an indie game that is pretty much ever available on PS4, Xbox and PC as well.

Now obviously the new game A Way Out is pretty interesting as well. It’s going to be a co-op based as well.
It’s obviously still an indie game so, it’s not like a huge AAA title and but this game looks really interesting. And obviously that got some media attention until the developers are kind of in the spotlight right now.

One of the team member Josef Fares who is a game director for the game was interviewed by Engadget and he was actually talking about the PS4 version of the game. During the interview he actually said that PlayStation 4 Pro is pretty much an old kind of system that really holds the developers back. This is actually what he said:

“Do you want the honest truth? This machine is not so strong as you think. This is like a five-year-old PC. If consoles were as powerful as PCs are today, you would see all different games. Most of the work developers put out there is to make them work on consoles.”

This is another statement that kind of fits in into the hole apparently kind of narrative, now obviously we knew that the both Xbox One and PS4 and specially Xbox One, is actually kind of old tech. Basically even at the launch because both consoles launched at the end of 2013 and both consoles actually used the same technology in terms of CPU and GPU. Although the PS4 actually comes with a 50% more powerful GPU, i.e: more shaders and also more faster memory.

Going back to the GPU side of things, basically it’s sort of variation of the Radeon HD 77850. This particular graphics card on PC is roughly around 1.8 TFLOPS as well depending on the clock speed as well. That pretty much the same sort of TFLOPS count on the PS4 and this particular card was released on PC market back in 2010. Even at that time of PS4 and Xbox One launch this particular graphics chip was like 3 or 4 years old. Even though the consoles did provide extra level of optimization and that is the only reason games actually run and looks good on both consoles.

source-
https://techstunt.com/a-way-out-developer-said-that-ps4-pro-is-like-a-5-years-old-pc-and-its-really-holding-developers-back/

Developer of A Way Out Claims PS4 is Crippling Performance

One of the most unique games shown at E3 this year is called “A Way Out.”
It’s the second title by director Josef Fares, and it’s explicitly designed for multiplayer, either via the PlayStation Network or sitting side by side on the couch.

Games with extensive co-op modes are comparatively rare, but games that literally require co-op play are basically unheard of. The game doesn’t take place entirely in split screen, but much of the action and gameplay uses that presentation method (the video below showcases how things work).

The game itself looks interesting enough, but it’s the comments by director Josef Fares that are likely to cause some controversy. “You want the honest truth?
This machine is not so strong as you think,” Fares told Engadget, pointing to the PS4 running his game. “This is like a five-year-old PC.

If consoles were as powerful as PCs are today, you would see all different games. Most of the work developers put out there is to make them work on consoles.”

I’m not in a position to comment on whether Fares is accurate in saying most of the optimization work that goes into console games is to make them work properly. But I think there’s an important point he’s overlooked.

I’ve said before that the Steam Hardware Survey has problems, particularly when it comes to ranking video cards, but since it’s the best data set we’ve got, let’s take a look at what it can tell us. After all, this is an interesting question — does targeting a GPU like the PS4’s result in lower-quality games than we would see, on average on the PC?

The on-average is important. No one is arguing that you couldn’t make games prettier if you only targeted the top-end cards from Nvidia (and hopefully AMD, before too much longer). The question is, how much additional freedom would this give developers?

To that end, we’ve tallied up the most popular 10 video cards on Steam from both AMD and Nvidia, and ranked them relative to the PS4. The PlayStation 4 has 1,152 cores, 72 texture units, and 32 render outputs (1152:72:32 is the way we normally write this).

It runs at a clock speed of 800MHz. Since the author’s original quote mentioned the PS4, that’s the platform we’ll compare today. Because we can’t exactly match the specs of the PS4 in any PC hardware, we’ve compared it with the HD 7850. That GPU has a slightly higher clock speed (860MHz instead of 800) but fewer cores and texture units (1024:64:32 @ 860MHz vs. 1152:72:32 @ 800MHz). Note that all of our comparisons are against the PS4, not the PS4 Pro.

Here’s what the color codes below mean, and bear in mind that these are reasonable projections, not pronouncements from on high:

Red: The PlayStation 4’s integrated GPU is probably more powerful than the PC equivalent.
Blue: The PC GPU is faster than the PS4 equivalent.
Purple: The situation is unclear, either because comparative performance data is not available, or because there are multiple GPUs grouped under the same name. When Steam refers to the “Radeon R7,” for example, some of the cards sold under that brand are faster than the PS4 GPU based on specs alone, but others may not be.

Without further ado, here’s our results. Performance comparisons, when available, were made using Anandtech’s Bench tool, comparing the HD 7850 to the various GPUs listed in the chart below. First, we’ll look at the Top 10 most common GPUs from both vendors according to the Steam Hardware Survey.

Data from the Steam Hardware Survey (6/21/2017). The “Est. GPU Perf” figure refers to the number of GPUs in our survey that we’d expect to outperform the GPU inside the original PlayStation 4.

This graph shows us several interesting things. First, the Top 10 AMD and Nvidia GPUs (DX12) hold 46 percent of the combined market. But even if we assume that the two purple SKUs are actually at the top end of their product class, there are a number of popular GPUs on Steam that aren’t likely to match the PS4’s GPU. The GTX 750 and AMD’s Radeon R5 chips are far less powerful than the chip inside the PlayStation 4.

As some of you have undoubtedly noticed, however, Nvidia commands most of the PC market and most of the most popular SKUs (at least, according to Steam). So I decided to run the numbers again, this time using the Top 20 Nvidia cards. Again, relative ratings against the AMD Radeon HD 7850 were confirmed using Anandtech’s Bench tool. While I don’t claim this represents some ironclad, guaranteed result, it should put us solidly in the ballpark. In this case, the GTX 1050 is listed in purple because I wasn’t able to find results that pitted it against the HD 7850 (not that it would change the numbers much either way).

Data from the Steam Hardware Survey (6/21/2017) — Nvidia only. The “Est. GPU Perf” figure refers to the number of GPUs in our survey that we’d expect to outperform the GPU inside the original PlayStation 4.

Nvidia is in a stronger position here than AMD, but not by as much as you might expect. In both cases, there are a significant number of GPUs that aren’t necessarily more powerful than the PS4’s — and that matters to developers when they’re working on next-generation titles. A game that only a fraction of your potential audience can play isn’t exactly going to sell very well. And finally, for those of you who want the whole enchilada, the Top 20 Nvidia cards and Top 10 AMD cards collectively account for 61.33 percent of the GPUs listed in the Steam Hardware Survey.

The console-PC relationship is more complicated than people think
I’m not claiming to have disproven Josef Fares’s remarks or arguing that optimizing for consoles is anything less than difficult.
In fact, everything I’ve ever read about optimizing console titles suggests that a great deal of work goes into keeping frame rates up and gameplay smooth.
Companies like DICE and Naughty Dog have given detailed presentations on how they used various tricks, ideas, and innovative programming techniques to squeeze maximum performance out of comparatively modest hardware.
It’s entirely possible that Fares is referring to CPU horsepower, where both the PS4 and Xbox One haven’t quite packed as much of a punch as some might have wished.

The PS4 Pro and Xbox One X both improve this situation modestly.
While no one will ever mistake Jaguar for a true high-performance CPU core, cranking up the clock speed by ~1.35x (both Sony and MS) will improve overall system performance. It should even help reduce L2 latencies, since Jaguar’s L2 is typically clocked at 1/2 clock speed.

Cross-cluster cache latencies on the PS4 are bad enough that companies had to come up with innovative ways to keep data local while simultaneously keeping their cores fed.

I’m not denying Fares’ point that he and his team could build a much more ambitious game if everyone had access to absolutely cutting-edge hardware. But this has been a fact of life since Pong debuted in your (once) local arcade. Even if we look at the PC ecosystem, a significant number of Steam gamers are still playing on hardware that doesn’t match the minimum capabilities of the PS4. Since game developers always want to sell their hardware on the largest set of systems they can, there’s never going to come a day when we see games only offering compatibility with the Radeon Fury XXV or the GeForce Alpha Titanium 9000.

Whether you play on a console or prefer a PC, game developers will always have to target a variety of price points and graphics abilities to keep their titles accessible to the largest audience possible. Given that consoles have practically become PCs in this latest generation, it’s not surprising to see some of the same issues and concerns about upgrading, compatibility, and appropriate development targets.

source-
https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/251306-developer-behind-a-way-out-game-claims-ps4-crippling-performance

TheIrishFGCguy

Pew pew pew
Nothing new. A good graphic card costs more than a ps4. Consoles suck dicks, i just have one because fighting games on pc ar3 dead
Same here. I play fighting games on console and also whatever good exclusives get released, but literally everything else is on PC for the far better experience.

E

Eldriken

Who cares? If you're still enjoying games on a PS4, who the fuck cares?

OH, NO. NOT MAH 60FPS, GUYS. OH NO, MAH GRAFFIX. BAWWWW.

I can slightly understand some folk's dislike of 60FPS not being the standard, but give me an effin' break. Graphics don't have fuck all to do with how fun a game is. The Order 1886 is an amazing looking game but is dull as fuck in every regard. Final Fantasy 13 was a sight to behold as well and was awful in the gameplay department.

People need to stop effing worrying about this kind of thing and just have fun. God.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Looks like developers need to git gud and QQ less.

If games like Horizon Zero Dawn can run flawlessly with its gameplay and graphics, there's no excuses. That's as good as it gets and all that is really expected. No one is expecting PC style performance or graphics on console, that's silly.

Kooron Nation

More Ass and Tits for MK11
Nothing new. A good graphic card costs more than a ps4. Consoles suck dicks, i just have one because fighting games on pc ar3 dead
If you're into Tekken 7, a lot of people are on that on Steam, the load times and input delay are significantly better on the PC version so it's pretty busy

Blade4693

VIVIVI
I am no expert in the field but I always assumed PC tech was ahead of consoles, like always.

Trust me, many people would go PC if it didn't seem like such a hassle. Again, the convenience of plug and play is very attractive to those of us who don't know sh** about computers lol

When I hear the PC guys talking about running into problems, buying graphics cards, motherboards, fans, flux capacitors and kyber crystals im lost lol that would be an absolute disaster for somebody like myself. It's overwhelming.

Agilaz

It has begun
I mean, with Phil Fish out of the scene, I think it's time we welcomed our new "better-drama-queen-than-game-developer".

I am no expert in the field but I always assumed PC tech was ahead of consoles, like always.

Trust me, many people would go PC if it didn't seem like such a hassle. Again, the convenience of plug and play is very attractive to those of us who don't know sh** about computers lol

When I hear the PC guys talking about running into problems, buying graphics cards, motherboards, fans, flux capacitors and kyber crystals im lost lol that would be an absolute disaster for somebody like myself. It's overwhelming.
I don't know much about computers, but I built one for myself and I can without a doubt say that after a year of playing I'm ready to go back to console gaming. It's awful having to troubleshoot games so often when I just want to play them without them crashing on start up or running horribly just because of that one program that I'm running alongside it.

There's so much shit I have to go through just to play a new game, you never know if it has some random issue that you have to watch out for.

VSC_Supreme

TYM's #1 L taker.
I just built my pc and the process was as exciting as it was exhausting. Researching the parts, seeing what i want, what works for me, what i'm comfortable spending, etc, etc. It's definitely a lot of work that's not for everybody.

I built a nice budget PC for $650 that can get 1080p/60fps pretty easy. But if you gave me a budget of $250, with a case the size of a ps4 slim. I'd have a difficult time making anything stronger than the ps4.

Consoles have their place and aren't going anywhere. I like using my PC at a desk, i like using my console from a couch, and even like playing my vita on my bed.

Blade4693

VIVIVI
I don't know much about computers, but I built one for myself and I can without a doubt say that after a year of playing I'm ready to go back to console gaming. It's awful having to troubleshoot games so often when I just want to play them without them crashing on start up or running horribly just because of that one program that I'm running alongside it.

There's so much shit I have to go through just to play a new game, you never know if it has some random issue that you have to watch out for.
Exactly, I hear/read these kind of things so much that I would rather not even risk trying to do that. It just sounds like so much trouble.

Temetias

"MKX kid"

There is something wrong with your system. I've been a PC player for many years (rig built by myself too) and I've never had to troubleshoot games, except when I've modded them heavily. Just download, install and play.

PC gaming isn't "harder* or a "hassle". Rig building might be but there's also prebuilt available.

E

Eldriken

There is something wrong with your system. I've been a PC player for many years (rig built by myself too) and I've never had to troubleshoot games, except when I've modded them heavily. Just download, install and play.

PC gaming isn't "harder* or a "hassle". Rig building might be but there's also prebuilt available.
What something is or isn't is entirely subjective. It may be harder or a hassle for him.

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
Who cares? If you're still enjoying games on a PS4, who the fuck cares?

OH, NO. NOT MAH 60FPS, GUYS. OH NO, MAH GRAFFIX. BAWWWW.

I can slightly understand some folk's dislike of 60FPS not being the standard, but give me an effin' break. Graphics don't have fuck all to do with how fun a game is. The Order 1886 is an amazing looking game but is dull as fuck in every regard. Final Fantasy 13 was a sight to behold as well and was awful in the gameplay department.

People need to stop effing worrying about this kind of thing and just have fun. God.
You guys are COMPLETELY missing point. This isn't PC vs console wars ooo who can fanboy hardest. This is a discussion about the impact of the weak tech of consoles using technology from years ago, holding back game design. This is because it's not practical for most devs to design for PC only - you slice your market down massively, so have to use much less funding, which obviously holds back graphics immensely as well. Developing for all 3 platforms means your graphical capability has to be held back from what our current state of video game technology is capable of, to run on consoles. The gap is continueing to widen, but even before it was so exaggerated, Crysis is a great example of how much further triple A game design could be pushing graphics at any given time, if not held back by consoles. This game was released by Crytek mostly to showcase their Cryengine3, so they kept it strictly PC.This game is 10 years old and was a massive step-up from what was currently being seen anywhere in games https://static1.gamespot.com/uploads/original/393/3936684/2847919-5096914145-976ee.png and still looks better than many PS4 games today. Best believe advancements like that are currently POSSIBLE,but just not financially practical, and this is because of consoles.

It looks like that could potentially be about to take a massive leap forward with the XBox One X, however that will still rely on Sony delivering something that can compete, because as it stands for the most part, gaming will be as powerful as its weakest link. Sony will almost undoubtably try to compete however, so I'm personally optimistic about big advancements in the near future to gaming tech, much more so than what we've seen in the last half a decade as consoles start trying to close the gap again. Better console tech benefits everyone including PC.

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
You can get a PS4 for 250 bucks.

My PC costed me 2 grand.

Expecting the same performance
Great article and was a fun read but let me put something in perspective

You payed 400.00 maybe $300.00 for a PS4 and xbone . 300-400 wouldn't buy you diddly shit in PC land so this article is also kinda "WELL DUH"
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qsLH6h

double as powerful as a PS4. 15% more expensive. This build was made over a year ago so you can do even better now, I don't care to try. Have fun.