What's new

PS4 only turns on if HDMI unplugged

scarsunseen

RIP TYM 6/11/2021
My PS4 is acting like it's possessed. Maybe someone can offer me some insight. If I try turning on my PS4 with the HDMI cable plugged in, it will power off after literally 1 second.

If I unplug the HDMI cable, then the PS4 will turn on like normal (except that I can't see). Afterwards, I can plug back in the HDMI cable and everything works like normal.

This issue is consistent. I've tried different HDMI cables and TVs also. Per a Playstation phone representative, I tried "Rebuild Database" from PS4 safe mode. Nothing seems to resolve the issue. The Playstation rep said he has never heard of this issue, even though it is all over google.

So, in closing, my PS4 works if I: 1) unplug the HDMI cable 2) turn on the PS4 3) plug back in the HDMI cable.

PS4 still won't turn on properly if the TV is off while the HDMI is plugged into the PS4?

What happens if the HDMI is unplugged from the TV while you try turning on the PS4?

scarsunseen

RIP TYM 6/11/2021
PS4 still won't turn on properly if the TV is off while the HDMI is plugged into the PS4?

What happens if the HDMI is unplugged from the TV while you try turning on the PS4?
1) Same problem. If TV/monitor is off and HDMI cable is plugged in to both ends, the PS4 will turn off after 1 second.

2) If HDMI is unplugged from TV/monitor but still plugged into PS4, it will turn on. Then I plug the HDMI in to the TV/monitor and all is normal.

1) Same problem. If TV/monitor is off and HDMI cable is plugged in to both ends, the PS4 will turn off after 1 second.

2) If HDMI is unplugged from TV/monitor but still plugged into PS4, it will turn on. Then I plug the HDMI in to the TV/monitor and all is normal.
I have a background in technology and I'm an electronics technician, but I don't work for Sony unfortunately so I'll have to use my intuition.
Since you tried different TVs it sounds to me like the HDMI port is shorting out the PS4. You can take the PS4 to an electronics repair shop and have them replace the port, but that's going to cost at least $100 with labor and everything. Plus there is a possibility that's its something deeper in the motherboard causing the short so its not a guaranteed fix and troubleshooting a PS4 motherboard can only be done at the factory.

Your best option is to just keep trucking unless you can afford a new PS4 :(

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
Have you tried restoring it to factory mode? I have done a similar solution to my own different problem and it had it fixed. Go save your stuff to any USB stick, and go restore it to factory mode.

Reactions: GAV

ZATA

Noob
mmm so weird....... I have a similar problem, I solved using an DVI/HDMI converter and using the DVI port in my monitor (BENQ 2460HT), but with the DVI you have to use headphones or something, no audio from DVI.
The converter is very cheap is like 2 bucks, you should try..... :)

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
My PS4 is acting like it's possessed. Maybe someone can offer me some insight. If I try turning on my PS4 with the HDMI cable plugged in, it will power off after literally 1 second.

If I unplug the HDMI cable, then the PS4 will turn on like normal (except that I can't see). Afterwards, I can plug back in the HDMI cable and everything works like normal.

This issue is consistent. I've tried different HDMI cables and TVs also. Per a Playstation phone representative, I tried "Rebuild Database" from PS4 safe mode. Nothing seems to resolve the issue. The Playstation rep said he has never heard of this issue, even though it is all over google.

So, in closing, my PS4 works if I: 1) unplug the HDMI cable 2) turn on the PS4 3) plug back in the HDMI cable.

That's just what you do. You break things...

You broke your PS4 like you broke Demo Sonya.

:p

UGL Preon

The Casual God
Ive had a few issues with various PS4s and this is one of the few. The HDMI port for some reason shorts itself during the initial surge of the console's boot up process. Coming back to normal after the boot. Not sure if you've tried to jostle the slot or check it for dust or damage by removing the top. If your warranty is out you technically have nothing to lose. That's what fixed it for us.

The other issue was that silly disk auto eject every 5 minutes.

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
Also people have had this problem even around launch. https://community.us.playstation.com/t5/Consoles-Peripherals/PS4-won-t-turn-on-after-being-off-HDMI-port-issue/m-p/44711150

Another potential "fix" is reset the console by holding the power button until it beeps.
Then leave it unplugged for an hour.
This is what I meant to restore it into factory mode. You'll need to try it out. It might fix the problem you have encountered. Problems coming right from within the console usually get fixed by factory restore.

Ive had a few issues with various PS4s and this is one of the few. The HDMI port for some reason shorts itself during the initial surge of the console's boot up process. Coming back to normal after the boot. Not sure if you've tried to jostle the slot or check it for dust or damage by removing the top. If your warranty is out you technically have nothing to lose. That's what fixed it for us.

The other issue was that silly disk auto eject every 5 minutes.
Dude I have that ejecting disk issue every couple of minutes. To make matters worse it won't take the disk back until I re-start my ps4.

UGL Preon

The Casual God
Dude I have that ejecting disk issue every couple of minutes. To make matters worse it won't take the disk back until I re-start my ps4.
The thing that fixed it was when its on. Hold the power button. Even after it turns off keep holding it until you hear it beep. Then Unplug your PS4 for an hour or two then Voila.

scarsunseen

RIP TYM 6/11/2021
Well, my PS4 totally died, so I bought a new one =( RIP

Stopped making any beeping noises.. just made angry clicking noises. Seems like mechanical or power failure. Sad times we live in.