What's new

PS4 Fight Pad

BigMacMcLovin

B2s and Birdarangs
I'm looking into upgrading to a Fight Pad for my PS4 and am leaning towards a Hori Commander 4 but have heard mixed reviews.

What are people's experience with it? Or is there something else that you'd recommend?

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
I have a Hori Commander 4 actually. Its pretty damn good! I used it for MVCi and currently for Tekken 7. It makes it easier to get inputs out because the buttons are bigger than a regular ps4 controller and with 6 buttons on the front makes it easier to play fighters as well. Still havent used it for DBFZ tho, since im learning, but plan on making that transition to the Hori.

The only downside is that it does not support the headset function OR have the middle flat button used for training mode. So that can get annoying. Besides that, its cheap, and it works wonders. Hope that helps ;)

I'm looking into upgrading to a Fight Pad for my PS4 and am leaning towards a Hori Commander 4 but have heard mixed reviews.

What are people's experience with it? Or is there something else that you'd recommend?
i would go for a ps3 or ps1 pad.
the hori commander are not bad though.

BigMacMcLovin

B2s and Birdarangs
I have a Hori Commander 4 actually. Its pretty damn good! I used it for MVCi and currently for Tekken 7. It makes it easier to get inputs out because the buttons are bigger than a regular ps4 controller and with 6 buttons on the front makes it easier to play fighters as well. Still havent used it for DBFZ tho, since im learning, but plan on making that transition to the Hori.

The only downside is that it does not support the headset function OR have the middle flat button used for training mode. So that can get annoying. Besides that, its cheap, and it works wonders. Hope that helps ;)
It doesn't have the reset button? Completely missed that. How long have you had the pad for? Is it holding up well? I've noticed lots of complaints aimed at the d-pad and buttons failing for one reason or another after a time

i would go for a ps3 or ps1 pad.
the hori commander are not bad though.
Just the default pads? I have a PS1 control lying around somewhere

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
It doesn't have the reset button? Completely missed that. How long have you had the pad for? Is it holding up well? I've noticed lots of complaints aimed at the d-pad and buttons failing for one reason or another after a time
Ive had the pad foooooooor Hmmmm....*thinks*....i wanna say like 3 months and nothing has broken off. I dont be super mashing the buttons like i hear alot of ppl do in their gaming videos. I take care of my shit and so far its running good. ALSO it does have a turbo button feature which is AWESOME for Injustice when you ur trying to level up a character by using the CPU loadout.

Johnny Based Cage

The Shangest of Tsungs
I have a Hori Fighting Commander (not an FC4) bc I require 6 button pads for SF. Dpad is smaller than I’d like but it’s great otherwise. It’s almost like a Sega Saturn pad. Wish fight pads had mic ports too but that seems like an all of them problem.

Last edited:

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
The lack of a touchpad button should only be an issue during KOTH matches, where you can't fullscreen since it's bound to the touchpad button. During training, make sure Delayed Pause is enabled, and you can just double tap Options/Start to restart.

Also, as far as Fighting Commander pads go, there's a newer model of the FC4, called the Fighting Commander Pro, that's available for import. Doesn't sell on Amazon until the 14th, but you can find them on eBay now.

I ordered this, not realizing it was the Pro. It's the same pad as the FC4 for the most part, but now includes an actual PC mode for X-Input. It's also confirmed to work on PS4 Pro. If you're going for a Fighting Commander pad, avoid the symmetrical models, as the d-pad is very stiff and loses sensitivity very easily. The FC4's d-pad is fantastic overall, and doesn't wear out as easily, though the lock mechanism is known to go bad over time. The FCPro, from what I hear, is apparently fixing the issue. Since it's an import-only atm, it's pricey, but the FC4 is probably the best fightpad you can find on the market, period.

@BigMacMcLovin

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
The lack of a touchpad button should only be an issue during KOTH matches, where you can't fullscreen since it's bound to the touchpad button. During training, make sure Delayed Pause is enabled, and you can just double tap Options/Start to restart.

Also, as far as Fighting Commander pads go, there's a newer model of the FC4, called the Fighting Commander Pro, that's available for import. Doesn't sell on Amazon until the 14th, but you can find them on eBay now.

I ordered this, not realizing it was the Pro. It's the same pad as the FC4 for the most part, but now includes an actual PC mode for X-Input. It's also confirmed to work on PS4 Pro. If you're going for a Fighting Commander pad, avoid the symmetrical models, as the d-pad is very stiff and loses sensitivity very easily. The FC4's d-pad is fantastic overall, and doesn't wear out as easily, though the lock mechanism is known to go bad over time. The FCPro, from what I hear, is apparently fixing the issue. Since it's an import-only atm, it's pricey, but the FC4 is probably the best fightpad you can find on the market, period.

@BigMacMcLovin
PC mode is on all the Hori pads, and it's pretty helpful for me who ping pongs between PC and PS4.

The image looks like the FC3 I had having the rotating d-pad, but it does look like the body style is a little different than the one I had a couple of years ago. Maybe they have a new one but I wouldn't be interested in it. I really didn't like the rotating pad and it was the root of any problems I had with the pad. It adds something complex to the situation and is something that can (and did) fail.

@OP I've had two of the FC4's. I finally wore one of them out but it took months to do it. I probably hastened it by trying to see if I could find a way to prolong the life of the contact pad that was torn, but failed and that is what eventually kills pads in general. It's probably criminal you can just buy new contact pads, but that's the situation.

When my FC3 broke, the pads were all torn up but the buttons were actually still in good working order. I can't believe my first FC4's d-pad isn't torn after hundreds of hours of IJ2, but I did finally wear out the Triangle button enough that it can't bounce back.

I don't know that there is any safe guard against torn contact pads, as that has been the main failure cause for pads for me over the last 30 years. I wouldn't consider FC4's unreliable, but I don't know how official DS4 pads fair compared to them since I've never used DS4 pads. I had My FC3 when I bought my PS4, so I've been 100% Hori for fighters from the start.

I posted more general comments on the pads when JBeezYBabY asked about them, if you cared to dig up his post to see what people said a couple months back. I'm going to continue to buy them personally.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
Ive had the pad foooooooor Hmmmm....*thinks*....i wanna say like 3 months and nothing has broken off. I dont be super mashing the buttons like i hear alot of ppl do in their gaming videos. I take care of my shit and so far its running good. ALSO it does have a turbo button feature which is AWESOME for Injustice when you ur trying to level up a character by using the CPU loadout.
I would not have managed to get my WoWo play time to 5000 min without that feature. (5000 and THEN they dropped it to 3000 for her legendary. I was both happy and sad at the same time)

BigMacMcLovin

B2s and Birdarangs
Thanks for the input everyone. I'm not even gonna lie, I went the whole 9-yards and brought a fight stick.

As of this moment I'm not sure if it was a worthy investment but I guess I'll find out tomorrow.

I think a fight pad may still be purchased for NRS games. Im thinking given the more simplistic directional controls, a stick may be over doing it. But since I'm not playing INJ2 anymore, I have time until MK11

C-Sword

Noob
I wouldn't buy the one with the rotating dpad if I were you, it will become loose and start rotating on its own after a while. Hori never fix any issues with their pads, they just keep reusing the same parts and shells.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
I wouldn't buy the one with the rotating dpad if I were you, it will become loose and start rotating on its own after a while. Hori never fix any issues with their pads, they just keep reusing the same parts and shells.
This is an issue I hear fairly often, but from what I understand is it takes a while for this to happen. The symmetrical one, however, in both experiences I've had with it, started losing sensitivity early as hell.