What's new

PS3 YLOD

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
I pray that there is someone out there who knows how to fix this damn thing. I am not looking forward to sending my PS3 to Sony to have it repaired for $150.

Dark_Rob

Noob
dciguy01 said:
I pray that there is someone out there who knows how to fix this damn thing. I am not looking forward to sending my PS3 to Sony to have it repaired for $150.
Dude I feel your pain believe me. This same thing happened to me back in November of 09. I was pissed off for weeks. Eventually I bought a new PS3. The fact they charge $150 to fix it is absolute rape. Id rather have a representative from Sony USA show up at my door and piss on my foot. At least then hed be being honest with me about his contempt for his customers.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
I called Sony and they basically told me as much. It's $178 to get the repair. The thing I hate is that I had A LOT of save game data on the HDD which I am going to lose. There are several games that I had one more trophy left to get before I would obtain platinum status... ALL FUCKING GONE. And it was a 60gb backward compatible unit as well.

The question now, do I send it back for repair or buy a whole new system? I am thinking about selling the old unit AS IS online. My birthday is coming up and my parents could pitch for half a new system.

So much for the iPod I wanted instead :(

dciguy01 said:
I called Sony and they basically told me as much. It's $178 to get the repair. The thing I hate is that I had A LOT of save game data on the HDD which I am going to lose. There are several games that I had one more trophy left to get before I would obtain platinum status... ALL FUCKING GONE. And it was a 60gb backward compatible unit as well.

The question now, do I send it back for repair or buy a whole new system? I am thinking about selling the old unit AS IS online. My birthday is coming up and my parents could pitch for half a new system.
If you know anyone that has a PS3, swap the hard drives, do a backup if you have an external hard drive. You shouldn't lose any data that way.

Tim Static

Adminerator
Couldnt you remove the hard drive and install it into the next system you get?

I have a 60g as well but the backwards compatible is so overrated anyways.

Speaking of which, i need to get a bigger harddrive for mine

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
Tim Static said:
Couldnt you remove the hard drive and install it into the next system you get?

I have a 60g as well but the backwards compatible is so overrated anyways.

Speaking of which, i need to get a bigger harddrive for mine
I'm not hardware savvy and I have no intentions of risking damage to a brand new system. I'd do a system backup, but an external hard drive runs about $60 and it's just not worth it to me. In the big picture, it's just a game system and there are more important things in life.

Dark_Rob

Noob
You mention that it was a BC 60 gig you had that YLOD'd. It was the same for me. For some reason those systems just seem more prone to it. Which is ultimately why I chose not to spend more $$$ to repair it. Eventually I bought a new PS3 slim and Ive had no problems whatsoever with it. You do lose 2 USB ports compared to the 60 gigs 4 ports, as well as backwards compatibility.(But hey you can snag a ps2 for $30 nowadays.) But you gain amuch bigger harddrive as well. If your more concerned about having a system that wont go bust on you I would recomend getting the slim. Its definately a solid machine.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
Dark_Rob said:
You mention that it was a BC 60 gig you had that YLOD'd. It was the same for me. For some reason those systems just seem more prone to it. Which is ultimately why I chose not to spend more $$$ to repair it. Eventually I bought a new PS3 slim and Ive had no problems whatsoever with it. You do lose 2 USB ports compared to the 60 gigs 4 ports, as well as backwards compatibility.(But hey you can snag a ps2 for $30 nowadays.) But you gain amuch bigger harddrive as well. If your more concerned about having a system that wont go bust on you I would recomend getting the slim. Its definately a solid machine.
You make a good point about the PS2 being cheap as hell nowadays. I am concerned about longevity of the system and I don't want the refurbished model to die a few months down the road.

I think that's what I'm going to do. I'll buy a new model (sigh)

X820

Noob
I think it's fucking ridiculous that they manufacture consoles that BREAK nowadays, then they force you to pay for damage that shouldn't be yours to deal with in the first place.

Blows my mind.

X820

Noob
In some cases it apparently helps to either flip on the switch on the back on and off really fast, or disconnecting the HD apparently.

Have you tried that ?

S

SuGaR

My 360 might shit the bed more frequently, but at least it doesn't cost me a dime to get it fixed. Sorry about your loss, bro.

Tim Static

Adminerator
wazz said:
My advice wud be wait for december and pick up a 250gb slim ps3
250g Slims have been out for a while, and who cares about the hard drive size when you could easily make it 1-2TB

wazz

Noob
Tim Static said:
250g Slims have been out for a while, and who cares about the hard drive size when you could easily make it 1-2TB
I dnt think dci wants tamper wit his new ps3 when ever he gets it

GoldenOreos

Arcade Tech
well i have the fat 80g ps3, so im just waiting on the ylod. when it happens im going to try fixing it myself, being that u cant go buy these anymore to switch it out

Tim Static

Adminerator
GoldenOreos said:
well i have the fat 80g ps3, so im just waiting on the ylod. when it happens im going to try fixing it myself, being that u cant go buy these anymore to switch it out
you should just sell it now while you can make some decent cash on it.

Goofart

Mr. Sexy Pants
I've been thru this last year. Paid about $200 (shipping included) for sony to send a refurb. The refurb was the exact same model (60GB BC launch unit made in japan) and looked brand spanking new minus the retail box. Came with 90 warranty. Turn around was about 1 week.

Had RE5 disc stuck in the thing and they sent it back along with the refurb console (you have to mention it in the form they make you fill out). There are some fixes for YLOD out there (such as adding thermal paste or replacing the laser) but doing so isn't a surefire thing, plus sony will not touch the unit even at your expense once that warranty sticker was been tampered.

It really depends how much you need the features on the classic console. Personally I don't use backwards compat, but it is nice to have if you ever feel like playing shaolin monks or other classic ps1/ps2 games without the bulk of a separate console. The extra 2 usb ports are nice, but i'm sure you can just get a hub if you require more. Aside from being more compact and using less power, the slims run a bit cooler and less noisy. Plus I think replacing the drive on the slim is much easier.

It's a bitch that a lot of the launch units seem to be affected by YLOD. Paid $750 for mine so definitely felt like a major kick in the nuts when it croaked.

As for backup, it may not be so easy. I'm not sure if new apps/tutorials have been released since last summer, but basically when I installed my ps3 harddrive into an external casing, it could not be read. The contents were either encrypted or was of some different file system that could not be seen on PC thru windows explorer. I also purchased one of those universal harddrive accesories, and that too could not decrypt the contents of the drive. In short, I wiped everything (including all my save date - playing thru RE5 again was a pain). The trophies data is stored online so that remained intact.

Perhaps you can do what tim mentioned - keep the hdrive and pop it into your new system and then do a backup thru xmb menu.
HOWEVER I recall at the time, if the console and the drive are not registered with each other, the system will do a complete format!

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
I just went out and bought a 250gb slim unit. I got it at a pawn shop for $250. Works like a charm! I don't know what this lady was smoking, but you can't beat that deal!