What's new

Pros and “Kahns” of MK 9, X, and 11

• Thread starter Deleted member 66057
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 66057

Hey everyone! Thought it would valuable to compile a comprehensive list of the most positive and negative things from the three modern MK games and do so in a respectful way and keep the overall negativity to a minimum (ie this game is unsalvageable etc - if you’re being intellectually honest you know that’s not true). I’ll just include mine here and I hope everyone can just add their thoughts. Obviously there will be disagreements, but the goal is to find some kind of consensus of a lot of these features.

MK9 - This to me represents the purest mortal Kombat experience of the past decade. Going to keep my thoughts here to a monument because I have the least amount of experience with this title.

Pros
Movement - The block dashing in this game felt incredibly smooth
Breaker system- Fair but problematic in the sense that some characters generate significantly more meter than others
Moderate Execution (Kabal nomad dash cancels require some practice and the timing of some of Smoke’s resets could be tricky)
Roster - Meant to be total fan service and it was handled appropriately.
Creativity and combo routes - while I think mkx takes the cake here, there was certainly more high level variance than mk11 for instance.
Xrays and cinematics - The overall consensus seems to be that the cinematic scenes that totally interrupt the flow of the fight either need to go or be kept to a bare minimum . MK 9 introduced them, they were novel, and were fairly quick.

Kahns
Not a lot to say here other than…
Balance - I know a lot of people look at this game with rose tinted glasses. I recently saw post where REO mentioned that if NRS never nerfed Skarlet the game would had one more s tier character and would have been slightly more balanced. That’s ironically true. Cyrax, Kabal, Sonya, Johnny, Kenshi really made the game unbearable for a lot of people and REO had said in the past if the game where released today, there’d be riots in the streets over some of this stuff.

MKX - My personal favorite. This is the game that got me into fighting games and up until the final October 2016 patch was a total broken mess. But I still had fun with it every day. I’ve played a lot since the final 2016 patch and I think this is most fun to be had playing any of the three modern mortal Kombat games currently. Some have argued that game was designed to have armored launchers and the removal of them was still a step in a positive direction even though sone characters benefited significantly more than others (shinnok, mileena, tremor).

Pros
Execution - I want to start here first. I know it’s cool and popular to say MK has no execution, but I really beg to differ. There are character like Displacer Raiden that I’ve been playing for 6 years and I still drop triple drop triple f12b2 or some mid screen visits blast run cancels; Nimble reptile requires decent execution; jaqui Briggs Stanky leg (trick is to hit 44 and hold up briefly); Liu Kang ninja killa style and Shaolin flame into windmill punch, scorpion f4 fbrc into s3 or 214. The run input is also a mechanic that take time getting used to and it be integral to every air to air conversion in the game naturally increases the execution barrier for casuals. I think MKX gets overlooked for this and the fun of figuring out some of this really tricky stuff is what keeps me coming back.

Breaker - I’m including this here again because anything that isn’t mk11 break away is a positive I feel. Same problem as mk9 (mileena almost always has 2 to 3 bars) and there actually was a strategic way to break your opponent into the corner, but didn’t offer literal punishes for the player being combo’d.

Creativity and combo routes - incredibly nuanced and very diverse. It was so much fun to discover new routes, corner carry, set ups.

oki- this game actually had oki and getting knocked down meant you were in serious trouble.

Zoning - in the final build I thought this was handled really well. This is purely opinion but I sincerely don’t believe characters like pre patch deadshot from injustice 2 should exist or Freddy from mk9. I know M2dave will probably have a heart attack reading that (haha sorry man) but it’s simply no fun for most players to navigate an obstacle course of unclashable projectiles the entire match. Purely opinion, put I thought quan chi and full auto jaqui (machine gun could have been adjusted more ) are examples of strong zoning archetypes but because of the nature of the game can’t literally run away the whole match.

Kahns

Roster - it depends who you ask but with the exception of Dvorah, Erron, and Kotal who all returned, I thought most of the new additions were pretty lackluster and uninspired. Take day was cool but Jaqui has nothing iconic besides being the menace of mk11 now and the netotiger videos if people remember 2015. She has gauntlets still but what if anything actually carried over from MKX in terms of play style. That’s a larger discussion about how future mk titles need a it of legacy.

Balance - significantly better than mk9 but in the game‘s final build dragons fire liu kang and crystalline tremor absolutely dominate most characters on the roster including smoke/ sektor who I felt were alway overrated on the tier lists (Smoke to a greater degree). Has anyone every played thunder god vs crystalline ? Do yourself and favor and switch to displaced to save yourself the headache. There are still a greater plethora of s tier character to chose from though and for that reason there‘s Greater variety in tournaments still today.

Run - making the primary method of movement in this game a triple input that induces auto movement I don’t ever want to see return.

Variations - this is a big one but more often than not most character simply had a superior variation and we all know that. There’s no reason to pick balanced over possessed unless you just want to have some fun. Please NRS just make complete characters.

High damaging 50 50s - Looking at you tremor, smoke, kenshi, shinnok. A lot of the overheads became fuzzyable in the final build, but mk11 moved away from this for the better.

MORTAL KOMBAT 11 - I want to say this as respectfully as possible, but for me , no amount of time will improve how I feel about this game. I’ve played this game A LOT mostly as a Raiden main on Xbox, and the amount of frustration I’ve experienced I didn’t think was possible before I played this. There are some things I think it gets right and i don’t think an overhaul would have even been necessary to make this a more fun experience. Just some major quality of life tweaks.

Pros

Balance - If you‘ve been paying attention to the tournament scene, Roethor just beat a jaqui player using Rambo. I’ve played him a few times and here’s a guy that really invested a lot of time into every aspect of lower tier character. Movement, spacing, when to back off, unpredictability. Mk11 did get this right. Balance will never be perfect but I do think this is closest we’ve gotten to always feeling like you have a chance now that kollector vs sheeva isn’t a factor anymore. I still think jaqui Briggs was never balanced appropriately and the lazy incremental health increase and decreases should not return.

Art design - the game looks phenomenal and the vibrant design is preferable to to the murky design of MKX.

Roster - we finally got Fujin and if you’re being objective I think this was a pretty decent collection of characters we got overall.

Kahns - here we go…

Break away - being Punished for attempting an optimal combo or not using a break away safe combo (launcher into d2) is something I never want to experience again.

Fatal blows - my thoughts were always why not just make them tools you can only use on a hit confirm Or mid combo. That way there’s still skill involved with opening your opponent up. Instead we’re still left with with people mashing out Jax’s lighting fast punch or Erron’s gun shots at the highest level many times going unpunished. Many high level players were very vocal about the pushback and it never really got addressed… unless characters are in the corner.

Krushing blows - eating 30 percent grabs because I guessed wrong previously is just not fair or rewarding to either player. Limited them to punishes would have been great and distributing them more evenly throughout the cast.

Wake up forward roll - the wake up system being a total dice roll was hugely problematic but this is the option that made players back off of offense completely.

Invincibility frames on wake up - I’ve never played a game in my life where respectable player and casuals alike are very much aware that holding up when you get knocked down is a very viable option.

Flawless blocking out of negative frames and launching reversals - Wasn‘t the point of removing armored launcher in MKX so that you couldnt launch your opponent as a defensive option? (Exceptions being shinnok, mileena, takeda and a few others with the cost of 2 bars or tremor flash parrying through everything.)

Lack of creativity - the most talked about point seems to be that mk11 is boring and it lacks creativity. Boring is subjective, but it does in fact lack a lot of the creativity and combo routes that previous titles including the injustice games had and the fact that this is the case in spite of kustom variations speaks volumes.

Those are my thoughts , and hope we can have a discussion that leads to something constructive. Some NRS employees have gone on twitter to express that they avoid engaging because of the huge amount of negativity. So let’s try to be respectful and would be amazing if 16bit or dizzy or anyone else on the inside could engage. Community support is key going forward, so hopefully we can transition into a new era (no pun intended) of more transparency on NRS’s side and a greater deal of respect on ours.

Last edited by a moderator:

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I tend to just try and enjoy games for what they are.

My quick thoughts:

MK9: Never played it. Seems like it was one of the first legit competitive MK games that was actually taken seriously by the FGC. I think it benefited a lot from being the first NRS game, with not a lot to compare it to prior. Personally it doesn't seem that exciting to me, but I don't have the same history with it that other people do.

MKX: Solid game. Really fast paced. I never played it enough to really know it so well, but highly entertaining. Seems like a game that really rewards solid set play, and really encourages oppressive offense. I thought the run mechanic was interesting.

MK11: Solid game. I find it to be a lot more nuanced than MKX, with more depth and decision making for the player. There's a lot of the gameplay mechanics that I like in theory, but aren't always executed well for every character. Overall my favorite MK game of the NRS era.

D

Deleted member 66057

I tend to just try and enjoy games for what they are.

My quick thoughts:

MK9: Never played it. Seems like it was one of the first legit competitive MK games that was actually taken seriously by the FGC. I think it benefited a lot from being the first NRS game, with not a lot to compare it to prior. Personally it doesn't seem that exciting to me, but I don't have the same history with it that other people do.

MKX: Solid game. Really fast paced. I never played it enough to really know it so well, but highly entertaining. Seems like a game that really rewards solid set play, and really encourages oppressive offense. I thought the run mechanic was interesting.

MK11: Solid game. I find it to be a lot more nuanced than MKX, with more depth and decision making for the player. There's a lot of the gameplay mechanics that I like in theory, but aren't always executed well for every character. Overall my favorite MK game of the NRS era.
Do you mean some of the universal mechanics favor certain characters more than others?

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I mean that things work for certain characters, but not all.

So for example, something like Breakaway. I actually like this mechanic in theory, especially with the armor breaker mechanic. It means as an attacker I don't just have the choice of doing my B&B, and if they break they break or they eat the damage. Instead I need to consider their defensive meter, and decide whether I want to go for a high damage combo, or try and keep the combo unbreakable. Or do I think they'll break, in which case I go with my armor breaker or something like D2? Same thing as a defender. If I'm being combo'd, I can choose to break out of the combo and maybe get a chance to even punish (in which case the roles would then be flipped, and now the opponent has those same choices on breaking away), but I risk getting called out by the opponent and tagged with an armor breaker. And if you're without defensive meter that means limited wakeup options, and not being able to flawless block punish gaps. So if you break away, you've avoided damage for the time being, but now you're more susceptible to pressure.

That's how it should work in theory. Multiple choices, pro's and con's for each choice, and rewards reading the situation and the opponent. And for some characters it totally works that way. I think for Raiden Breakaway works just fine. He has solid non-breakable damage options, if he thinks the opponent is going to break he has a solid armor breaker in summon lightning or he can still do solid damage with Thunder Wave. He doesn't really need to worry as much about the opponent dropping out and punishing.

Other characters it doesn't work like that though. Some characters don't have a viable armor breaker, or viable un-breakable damage, or the timing of when the opponent can break basically means they need to commit to an unsafe combo and all the opponent needs to do is read the combo and react. So the mechanic comes off as restrictive to them, instead of adding choice and depth.

Compare that to something like Breakers though. Breakers is a much simpler choice for both sides. As the attacker I don't really need to care about what my opponent does, because worst case scenario neutral is reset, best case they don't breaker and I do my optimal combo. For the defender, pretty much the same thing. If I've got the meter to break, and they've got the meter to hit me for 35%, it's a no brainer to use my breaker. It's nice in that it's a fairly balanced mechanic, with it working the exact same for every character, but there's not a lot of depth behind Breakers.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Another mechanic would be Krushing Blows. In theory I can really get behind a mechanic like that. There's a lot of good potential to make KB into a very interesting thing. It involves resource management, could involve a bit of game theory, or even rewarding short term setups with long term gains.

For example, the KB attached to Raiden's B2. It's based off hitting B2 (an overhead) twice in a row. So if you're in the corner and do something like Storm Cell ended into B2, you've now loaded up a potential KB, and created a solid 50/50 for Raiden. He can either go for another B2, with a big juicy KB damage, or go with his B3 starter into a big corner combo. But he can only do it once, and setting it up means opting for a smaller combo now in order for a potentially better combo later. Again, there's elements of choice for the player which I really find interesting.

Ideally more KB's would work like that. Maybe a character has few good anti air options, but has a KB attached to one of their options. They can choose to burn it early the first chance they get, but then they risk going the rest of the match without a good anti air. Or they can keep it and keep the threat of that anti air to possibly dissuade the opponent from jumping.

But in actuality a lot of the KB's just seem like easily obtainable extra damage, and there's not as much thought put in it other than simply when to eventually use it.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Hey everyone! Thought it would valuable to compile a comprehensive list of the most positive and negative things from the three modern MK games and do so in a respectful way and keep the overall negativity to a minimum (ie this game is unsalvageable etc - if you’re being intellectually honest you know that’s not true). I’ll just include mine here and I hope everyone can just add their thoughts. Obviously there will be disagreements, but the goal is to find some kind of consensus of a lot of these features.

MK9 - This to me represents the purest mortal Kombat experience of the past decade. Going to keep my thoughts here to a monument because I have the least amount of experience with this title.

Pros
Movement - The block dashing in this game felt incredibly smooth
Breaker system- Fair but problematic in the sense that some characters generate significantly more meter than others
Moderate Execution (Kabal nomad dash cancels require some practice and the timing of some of Smoke’s resets could be tricky)
Roster - Meant to be total fan service and it was handled appropriately.
Creativity and combo routes - while I think mkx takes the cake here, there was certainly more high level variance than mk11 for instance.
Xrays and cinematics - The overall consensus seems to be that the cinematic scenes that totally interrupt the flow of the fight either need to go or be kept to a bare minimum . MK 9 introduced them, they were novel, and were fairly quick.

Kahns
Not a lot to say here other than…
Balance - I know a lot of people look at this game with rose tinted glasses. I recently saw post where REO mentioned that if NRS never nerfed Skarlet the game would had one more s tier character and would have been slightly more balanced. That’s ironically true. Cyrax, Kabal, Sonya, Johnny, Kenshi really made the game unbearable for a lot of people and REO had said in the past if the game where released today, there’d be riots in the streets over some of this stuff.

MKX - My personal favorite. This is the game that got me into fighting games and up until the final October 2016 patch was a total broken mess. But I still had fun with it every day. I’ve played a lot since the final 2016 patch and I think this is most fun to be had playing any of the three modern mortal Kombat games currently. Some have argued that game was designed to have armored launchers and the removal of them was still a step in a positive direction even though sone characters benefited significantly more than others (shinnok, mileena, tremor).

Pros
Execution - I want to start here first. I know it’s cool and popular to say MK has no execution, but I really beg to differ. There are character like Displacer Raiden that I’ve been playing for 6 years and I still drop triple drop triple f12b2 or some mid screen visits blast run cancels; Nimble reptile requires decent execution; jaqui Briggs Stanky leg (trick is to hit 44 and hold up briefly); Liu Kang ninja killa style and Shaolin flame into windmill punch, scorpion f4 fbrc into s3 or 214. The run input is also a mechanic that take time getting used to and it be integral to every air to air conversion in the game naturally increases the execution barrier for casuals. I think MKX gets overlooked for this and the fun of figuring out some of this really tricky stuff is what keeps me coming back.

Breaker - I’m including this here again because anything that isn’t mk11 break away is a positive I feel. Same problem as mk9 (mileena almost always has 2 to 3 bars) and there actually was a strategic way to break your opponent into the corner, but didn’t offer literal punishes for the player being combo’d.

Creativity and combo routes - incredibly nuanced and very diverse. It was so much fun to discover new routes, corner carry, set ups.

oki- this game actually had oki and getting knocked down meant you were in serious trouble.

Zoning - in the final build I thought this was handled really well. This is purely opinion but I sincerely don’t believe characters like pre patch deadshot from injustice 2 should exist or Freddy from mk9. I know M2dave will probably have a heart attack reading that (haha sorry man) but it’s simply no fun for most players to navigate an obstacle course of unclashable projectiles the entire match. Purely opinion, put I thought quan chi and full auto jaqui (machine gun could have been adjusted more ) are examples of strong zoning archetypes but because of the nature of the game can’t literally run away the whole match.

Kahns

Roster - it depends who you ask but with the exception of Dvorah, Erron, and Kotal who all returned, I thought most of the new additions were pretty lackluster and uninspired. Take day was cool but Jaqui has nothing iconic besides being the menace of mk11 now and the netotiger videos if people remember 2015. She has gauntlets still but what if anything actually carried over from MKX in terms of play style. That’s a larger discussion about how future mk titles need a it of legacy.

Balance - significantly better than mk9 but in the game‘s final build dragons fire liu kang and crystalline tremor absolutely dominate most characters on the roster including smoke/ sektor who I felt were alway overrated on the tier lists (Smoke to a greater degree). Has anyone every played thunder god vs crystalline ? Do yourself and favor and switch to displaced to save yourself the headache. There are still a greater plethora of s tier character to chose from though and for that reason there‘s Greater variety in tournaments still today.

Run - making the primary method of movement in this game a triple input that induces auto movement I don’t ever want to see return.

Variations - this is a big one but more often than not most character simply had a superior variation and we all know that. There’s no reason to pick balanced over possessed unless you just want to have some fun. Please NRS just make complete characters.

High damaging 50 50s - Looking at you tremor, smoke, kenshi, shinnok. A lot of the overheads became fuzzyable in the final build, but mk11 moved away from this for the better.

MORTAL KOMBAT 11 - I want to say this as respectfully as possible, but for me , no amount of time will improve how I feel about this game. I’ve played this game A LOT mostly as a Raiden main on Xbox, and the amount of frustration I’ve experienced I didn’t think was possible before I played this. There are some things I think it gets right and i don’t think an overhaul would have even been necessary to make this a more fun experience. Just some major quality of life tweaks.

Pros

Balance - If you‘ve been paying attention to the tournament scene, Roethor just beat a jaqui player using Rambo. I’ve played him a few times and here’s a guy that really invested a lot of time into every aspect of lower tier character. Movement, spacing, when to back off, unpredictability. Mk11 did get this right. Balance will never be perfect but I do think this is closest we’ve gotten to always feeling like you have a chance now that kollector vs sheeva isn’t a factor anymore. I still think jaqui Briggs was never balanced appropriately and the lazy incremental health increase and decreases should not return.

Art design - the game looks phenomenal and the vibrant design is preferable to to the murky design of MKX.

Roster - we finally got Fujin and if you’re being objective I think this was a pretty decent collection of characters we got overall.

Kahns - here we go…

Break away - being Punished for attempting an optimal combo or not using a break away safe combo (launcher into d2) is something I never want to experience again.

Fatal blows - my thoughts were always why not just make them tools you can only use on a hit confirm Or mid combo. That way there’s still skill involved with opening your opponent up. Instead we’re still left with with people mashing out Jax’s lighting fast punch or Erron’s gun shots at the highest level many times going unpunished. Many high level players were very vocal about the pushback and it never really got addressed… unless characters are in the corner.

Krushing blows - eating 30 percent grabs because I guessed wrong previously is just not fair or rewarding to either player. Limited them to punishes would have been great and distributing them more evenly throughout the cast.

Wake up forward roll - the wake up system being a total dice roll was hugely problematic but this is the option that made players back off of offense completely.

Invincibility frames on wake up - I’ve never played a game in my life where respectable player and casuals alike are very much aware that holding up when you get knocked down is a very viable option.

Flawless blocking out of negative frames and launching reversals - Wasn‘t the point of removing armored launcher in MKX so that you couldnt launch your opponent as a defensive option? (Exceptions being shinnok, mileena, takeda and a few others with the cost of 2 bars or tremor flash parrying through everything.)

Lack of creativity - the most talked about point seems to be that mk11 is boring and it lacks creativity. Boring is subjective, but it does in fact lack a lot of the creativity and combo routes that previous titles including the injustice games had and the fact that this is the case in spite of kustom variations speaks volumes.

Those are my thoughts , and hope we can have a discussion that leads to something constructive. Some NRS employees have gone on twitter to express that they avoid engaging because of the huge amount of negativity. So let’s try to be respectful and would be amazing if 16bit or dizzy or anyone else on the inside could engage. Community support is key going forward, so hopefully we can transition into a new era (no pun intended) of more transparency on NRS’s side and a greater deal of respect on ours.
Some additional cons of MK9:
  • Player One Advantage
  • The meter drain glitch
  • Strange frame data — some characters had pokes that were minus on hit, or zero on hit, stuff like Cage F3 had variable frame data on block
  • Inconsistent frame data on block between standing and crouching characters
  • The input bug and lack of control over negative edge
  • Unblockable resets
  • Insane amounts of chip
  • Plus armored launchers, safe armor, etc.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Just a few other minor knit picks or things to discuss:

I agree on the distributing them evenly part. But I like having the 30% grab KB. Again, to me it sets up an interesting game theory. It's generally more strategic to throw an opponent into the corner. If that's not an option then it's about knowing which throw gives better oki, or which throw has a KB attached to it. I like how this adds layers to trying to guess what the opponent will do. It means breaking a throw is not simply about executing a throw break, it's also about trying to read what the opponent will do.

Flawless blocking out of negative frames and launching reversals
I like this mechanic. I think it adds a nice level of execution, where you need to both correctly time your flawless block and be knowledgeable of an opponent's gaps. It's also something where if you become too predicable with it the opponent has options to blow it up. They can go for a throw, or they can go with a move with a longer startup to catch the attempt. It's also attached to meter, so if you breakaway you don't have access to this launcher.

Lack of creativity - the most talked about point seems to be that mk11 is boring and it lacks creativity. Boring is subjective, but it does in fact lack a lot of the creativity and combo routes that previous titles including the injustice games had
Personally I don't find combos that creative. Especially in a string based combo system like NRS uses. Combo's are about doing either reliable damage, or optimal damage. It's mostly a strategic decision. MKX might have a few more starters, but with NRS combos are pretty formulaic in general. It's a nice display of execution, but I find what leads up to the combo way more interesting and creative than the actual combo itself.

D

Deleted member 66057

• Player One Advantage
  • The meter drain glitch
  • Strange frame data — some characters had pokes that were minus on hit, or zero on hit, stuff like Cage F3 had variable frame data on block
  • Inconsistent frame data on block between standing and crouching characters
  • The input bug and lack of control over negative edge
  • Unblockable resets
  • Insane amounts of chip
Yeah absolutely. A lot of bugs that typically get glossed over when people speak fondly of it.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Well I was a Kano main in MK9 so I certainly have mixed feelings about that game...

I was a Jax main in MKX and then they utterly neutered him, so mixed feelings there as well.

With MK11, I just wish you couldn't break out a kombo to punish the person who is komboing you. This issue drastically affects RoboCop, causing him to be able to go for any kombo as long as his opponent has meter for breakway.

I don't mind Fatal Blows too much, but they certainly shouldn't come back if they're blocked. And a few of them need to be tweaked, like Kabal, Frost, and Erron. When they get access, you literally can't press a button; it just fully shuts down the match, which seems like the last thing you want to do in a fighting game.

[Edit: I just read this post, and I must have had a stroke while writing it...]

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 66057

Well I was a Kano main in MK9 so I certainly have mixed feelings about that game...

I was a Jax main in MKX and then they utterly neutered him, so mixed feelings there as well.

With MK11, I just wish you couldn't break out a kombo to punish the person who is komboing you. This issue drastically affects RoboCop, causing him to be able to go for any kombo as long as his opponent has meter for breakway.

I don't mind Fatal Blows too much, but they certainly shouldn't come back if they're blocked. And a few of them need to be tweaked, like Kabal, Frost, and Erron. When they get access, you literally can't press a button; it just fully shuts down the match, which seems like the last thing you want to do in a fighting game.
You can bait breakaways with f32 canon and not meter burn which kcd does quite effectively. But yeah the larger issue why should be worried about getting punished at all for successfully opening your opponent up.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
You can bait breakaways with f32 canon and not meter burn which kcd does quite effectively. But yeah the larger issue why should be worried about getting punished at all for successfully opening your opponent up.
Oh yeah, I don't use the Cobra Cannon. From up to almost half screen, the amply can be full-kombo punished by most characters with breaker. I always replace it with the Wrist Rocket.

• Unblockable resets
  • Insane amounts of chip
I don't see some of these as cons.

Half the reason mk9 is fondly remembered is because of just how much you can do. It did need a balance pass to even out the top tiers (and basically add characters like sheeva/noob to the game given how trash they are).

For these though-

Unblockable resets- I'm mostly fine with this? I think it was more than ok to have cyrax have this threat. It cost him a ton of meter and you could still breaker out. It should probably require a more specific confirm for him to do the 100% version (little too easy to route into) but this sort of stuff isn't inherently bad.

Chip - I'm even more fine with this. Chip is a perfectly find form of damage. Having characters who can do batshit chip is something tons of games play with, and do successfully, and mk9 mostly did it well.

The rest of this- I think it's absurd this is even in cons. Having powerful moves is what makes games exciting. Yes it was hardly done perfectly in mk9, but again the reason people have fonder memories is because of how crazy/off the wall a match could be. You can have Safe armor/Plus armored launchers and the game will be fine.

I'll just straight say that if you nerf the very top of MK9 slightly (Kabal keeps runstop, but needs meter to get IAB and the like, Kenshi actually has some risk, cyrax routing into 100%'s requiring more risky combo starters, etc), buff the bottom (noob/sheeva/kano actually work, un nerf sub zero, things like that), and get rid of the glitches/bugs/odd bullshit (i might be ok with different frame data on crouching, but the rest should've been cleaned up) you'd have an easy masterpiece.

10 at least still has flavor to it, but 11 feels like what you get when you try and hard follow these over sweeping rules, where everyone feels the same. Scorpion isn't doing crazy reset setups, sub zero isn't putting you in corner jail, johhny isn't chipping off 15% because you want to sit on the block button. It feels like there's 2/3 zoners and 2/3 other types of characters and everyone just falls into different colors of those play-styles.

Pretty impressive to have a game that's 4/3 full though.
Well it's obviously not that.

You have 4/3 archetypes with, eventually, 3/3 variations so that's at least 12/9. But as you know they eventually just opened the flood gates on building variations, those added another 3/3 to it putting it to 15/12, which of course reduces back to 4/3 thus proving that adding extra moves did nothing to really help overall variety.

Or i meant 2 or 3 not 2/3.

zerosebaz

What's the point of a random Krypt?
You can have Safe armor/Plus armored launchers and the game will be fine.
Thank you! People always say that as if it was the terrible thing that broke MK9, yet in both Injustice games every single character has an overhead, plus on block, combo starter armored move, you could also hold and dash cancel, and it was completely fine. The problem is individual moves, how good they are and how do they interact with the rest of the characters kit, but there is nothing inherently wrong about an armored move being safe on block.

I think chip damage by itself is fine so long as there's a reliable universal method of preventing it or at least mitigating some of it. I don't love chip kill, but it's also fine if the chip damage can be countered, such as push block, spending resource, etc.

For MK the only chip mitigation I recall before MK11 was character specific and very limited. Flawless blocking being able to remove most of the chip was a huge step in the right direction imo. I want to see more things like this.

Law Hero

There is a head on a pole behind you
Some additional pros of MK9:

-healthy amount of guest characters, especially compared to later entries
-great extra single player content (story, test your might/sight/strike/luck, krypt, challenge tower, 2v2)
-kombat kodes
-best battle tower in the series. Although some challenges were tedious, it is infinitely better than randomly generated ones
-unique online lobbies (choosing a character and entering a "theater", being able to emote, hidden emotes, etc)
-extreme battle damage shown on the characters
-ex moves are better than meter burn moves(opinion)
-Babalities for styling on opponents
-Toasty!

D

Deleted member 66057

kahns of mkx and mk11 you left off: kombat kids

good OP nonetheless
I thought Takeda was a good inclusion. New characters should be integral to the story and at least attempt to make them interesting. Jacqui and Cassie just failed miserably on those levels for me, whereas I liked Cetrion as a new inclusion her game play aside. Kollector I think was handled better than ferra torr as well but I doubt we’ll see him again.

D

Deleted member 66057

I seriously miss Ferra/Torr. A very fun and interesting character.
I liked how shinnok stole the command grab and basically got a 19 percent guaranteed grab off of mimicry. So many rage quits from ferra torr players lol.

Zer0_h0ur

XBL tag: South of Zero
I thought Takeda was a good inclusion. New characters should be integral to the story and at least attempt to make them interesting. Jacqui and Cassie just failed miserably on those levels for me, whereas I liked Cetrion as a new inclusion her game play aside. Kollector I think was handled better than ferra torr as well but I doubt we’ll see him again.
I think Kollector was done well in that he actually had various playstyles available and depending on the style could require more work and execution to be good with.
People always complain there's only 1 way to play mk11 characters, but kollector is an exception imo.