What's new

Problems fighting the sorcerer.

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
I havent really spent much time trying to understand how to fight this guy or what he can all do, i know he has frame traps, but how do u get out of them? and what are they?

xMx M9 xSx

I <3 dogs
A far as I know he just links groundfireballs to his basic strings and you can't do squat against it. Keep in mind that depending on your char you can trade with him full screen; his ground fireballs have a slow startup and if you jump like crazy an read where the next ball will be at, you'll be fine. Dash blocking works as well. Be prepared to mirror at some point. He sucks at wake up game and is very easy to keep in the corner.

Also very important, if stung soul soul steals you an actually block the second half of the animation and punish it.

Good luck and keep your kool lol. That's all I got.

Axel_Redd

I was using Kabal, but he's far from finished, i don't understand what i need to be looking out for and what NOT to do against him.

Axel_Redd

srry for the double post, but how do his frame traps work exactly? when can u poke out?

LEGEND

YES!
F4 is 10 frames

GS is +2

SS is +1

Upskull is +30

There is a 4 frame gap between F4 and its link to GS. But F4-SS has no gap

Blocking the second hit of SS after being hit by the first part leaves Shang negative, the number seems inconsistent but he is punishable by certain things, also obviously depends on distance

He has a 50/50 game with B2/F34 that you have you look out for when under pressure

To counter his zoning you have to get used to the range on SS so you can wiff punish it/ jump it. jumping it on read is a mindgame you sometimes have to establish, kinda like fighting kenshi's SC

Ex GS can be used as a counter zoning tool since it has a faster start-up than most projectiles and the launch from it is often good enough that shang can recover from getting hit from your projectile and combo you. So be careful throwing out projectiles full screen when at neutral

if you block a Upskull you have to block the jump in follow-up or whatever mixup they choose. it can be armored out of if Shang takes to long before jumping in

His pressure mainly works by him guessing when you will poke out so he can use his + Frames to beat your pokes with his own. Shangs also will try to throw in his 50/50 game, Dashing back into SS of GS to wiff punish attempts at escaping with certain normals, and using Grabs

His corner game is much more character specific, but basically if you don't have a safe wake-up or one that moves you out of the corner, You're going to have to eat pressure and the following mix-ups over and over until you guess right and find a way to reverse the field

I guess that covers most of it for now. i'll check back later if you have any questions

xMx M9 xSx

I <3 dogs
what u mean u can't do squat about it?
Sorry I didn't reply lol. Basically just read LEGEND's post.

From my understanding, shang does a GS after a blocked string and if you jump, poke, special, etc. then the skull just hits you. then he comes in for more pressure.

LEGEND

YES!
your only - 2 after a blocked GS so you can beat out F4 with a 6-7 frame poke/string and even 8 frame moves work if you're P1. Characters like Jax and Liu Kang have a much easier time dealing with GS pressure as P1

Good luck doing any of this online though

Axel_Redd

your only - 2 after a blocked GS so you can beat out F4 with a 6-7 frame poke/string and even 8 frame moves work if you're P1. Characters like Jax and Liu Kang have a much easier time dealing with GS pressure as P1

Good luck doing any of this online though
damn....this guy sounds like his frame traps are almost as bad as Cages.....Add him to the list of online rediculousness?

Kabal can poke out with d1 or armor out right?

and if he catches you with an upskull you have to block whatever he does after that?

KRYS9984

Noob
Axel,

Kabal obviously gains meter at an incredible rate so you can use his flash parry to avoid Shang Tsungs frame traps and get an upper hand.

You can then proceed to combo your opponent (if he decides not to block) or (if he decides to block) start your nomad dash cancel pressure.

Shang Tsung is a great character and one of my personal favorites in the game.

Axel_Redd

Axel,

Kabal obviously gains meter at an incredible rate so you can use his flash parry to avoid Shang Tsungs frame traps and get an upper hand.

You can then proceed to combo your opponent (if he decides not to block) or (if he decides to block) start your nomad dash cancel pressure.

Shang Tsung is a great character and one of my personal favorites in the game.
i know how to do kabal's flash parry, problem is i can't do it effectively online. I also don't know how shangs footsies all work, and didn't know what his frametraps were and how tight they were.

LEGEND

YES!
Shangs footsie can still go so much farther then our top level players have taken him. Super under rated threatening ass character.
Dude no, just no

His footsies are ass once you get past his SS
damn....this guy sounds like his frame traps are almost as bad as Cages.....Add him to the list of online rediculousness?

Kabal can poke out with d1 or armor out right?

and if he catches you with an upskull you have to block whatever he does after that?
Its not that bad, only reason Cages F3 is so tough to deal with is because he can continue into F33 and F33B3 and if you tried to poke out you get blown up, where-as shang's F4-GS you react to him finishing his string. Also if shang does anything but F4 or D4-GS at close his pressure ends and if you block a poke attempt feel free to reverse the pressure. Shang has no way to reliably deal with any kind of pressure as his armor is punishable and his normals either have too short of range and/or aren't fast enough to capitalize off a poke

Since you're playing this mu as kabal i suggest learning how to flash parry in the gap between F4 and GS, even if Shang goes for SS to counter it you should be able to blown him up with your F4-ND after blocking the second hit. If you don't have meter you will have to time a D1 or D3, and if you're P1 go ahead a shoot for F4

But ya, Shang's pressure is pretty stupid online

And yes you pretty much have to block whatever Shang does after a blocked Up Skull as it is +30

LEGEND

YES!
i assume you fucked up the edit or something, idk what dude 30 means :rolleyes:

Anyway, i would like to hear why his normals are so great when the ones that advance hit high and the ones that hit mid don't go anywhere. And good luck using 20+ frame moves at close range. I'll gladly discuss shang's footsies more in depth if you can prove you're not some bumbling asshole thats just trying to start shit, i constantly see you post stuff like this without ever backing up your statements and have never even so much as heard your name come up in any offline or online event

You are free until proven otherwise

Chongo

Dead Kings Rise

Anyway, i would like to hear why his normals are so great when the ones that advance hit high and the ones that hit mid don't go anywhere. And good luck using 20+ frame moves at close range. I'll gladly discuss shang's footsies more in depth if you can prove you're not some bumbling asshole thats just trying to start shit, i constantly see you post stuff like this without ever backing up your statements and have never even so much as heard your name come up in any offline or online event

He made multiple threads claiming that this game ran at 30 fps. Either he's really dumb, or he's a bad troll.

Axel_Redd

it's the complete F4 string - F4,3,4
which part of the f4,3,4 string wiffs on low hitbox?

yeah i need to work on flash parrying his gaps, but i also want to work on other ways out as well since kabal isn't the only character i use, My Kabal is no where good enuff for me to qualify him as a main character for my team....yet. He's in the works still

so if shang catches you with any of his groundskulls on block at the end of his strings, he's at +2, what are his fastest and most used options to follow that up with? would a character like lao be capable of spining him still?

cR WoundCowboy

WoundCowbae <3

downplayer? But LBSH, Shang does have good footsies and it starts with the SS which is something that is best used at max range. Mixing up SS, D3 and D4 is how your play Shang and if you limit these things (especially SS) then you probably beat him.

LEGEND

YES!
downplayer? But LBSH, Shang does have good footsies and it starts with the SS which is something that is best used at max range. Mixing up SS, D3 and D4 is how your play Shang and if you limit these things (especially SS) then you probably beat him.
he does but not when you get inside SS and around max D4 he doesn't have many options

LBSH all YOU do in that distance is jump or back-up SS lol :p