What's new

Problem with variations and playing locally

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
I'm going to explain how this game is set up then explain the problem.

• Tournament mode is completely separated from the rest of the game; you can't customize anything in tournament mode, and the variations are locked
  • Pre-set variations outside tournament mode are also different from competitive variations. You have to manually build competitive variations for practice mode and local mode
  • When player 2 joins, P2 still uses a different user which has to be built up from the ground again as in previous games
Now if you want to play 1v1 offline, you are either forced to use tournament mode to have access to the competitive variations, but then you can't play with your own customized skins/gear/etc..., or you have to build competitive variations for all characters for TWO different users...

EDIT: In ranked the variations are locked and you can't touch them. So you use competitive loadouts with default costumes only!!
EDIT2: You can set 2 costumes to be default costumes which will be used in ranked and casual competitive mode. You won't have multiple choices per character like in Injustice 2. You can just change variation looks (1 costume per variation)

(I'm on PS4 by the way, not sure how it is on XB1 and PC)

Last edited:

Gravelands

Cory, Trevor, smokes. Let's go.
So if I'm understanding it correctly, the locked variations used in tournaments are also the ones you have to use in ranked play, correct? Are the default (or "locked") variations that you have to use for ranked/tournament play not available to select when you're doing offline 1v1?

Braindead

So if I'm understanding it correctly, the locked variations used in tournaments are also the ones you have to use in ranked play, correct? Are the default (or "locked") variations that you have to use for ranked/tournament play not available to select when you're doing offline 1v1?
I haven't played online yet but in online mode you can toggle the "kompetitive mode" for casual play, just like in Inj2. You don't have that option in ranked so I'm assuming it's competitive by default.

Not sure how my own customization will work in all that. I'll test later today.

If it's the same as in Injustice 2 it won't be good. Was forced to play tournament mode with random gear with all my friends who came over. The alternative would be "look at all these cool skins I have and you don't". Thankfully MK11 has no levels so that's one less problem.

DDustiNN

MK11 Pocket Guide: Koming Soon to the App Store
This is very confusing now this cant be what they intended.
NRS does tend to listen more than 95% of companies so if its a issue week 1 I see it getting fixed quickly.
I don’t think so. It was an ongoing complaint with Injustice 2, and never got fixed.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
That's weird, are tournament variation the same for ranked? Or is ranked not available yet?

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
When you create your own loadouts if you press square you can choose to use the tournament preset abilities, so you dont have to try and remember and choose the right ones:

Either way, I hope they make this less messy.

IDK why they just don't have the tournament presets on the main "pick your variation" thing in the character select screen in Kasual matches too.

It just seems weird tbh.

Braindead

When you create your own loadouts if you press square you can choose to use the tournament preset abilities, so you dont have to try and remember and choose the right ones:

Either way, I hope they make this less messy.

IDK why they just don't have the tournament presets on the main "pick your variation" thing in the character select screen in Kasual matches too.

It just seems weird tbh.
Good to know this.

Gamer68

Fujin!
Kasual matches with competitive mode on is the same as ranked; locked loadouts with default costumes.

I really hope they fix this soon.
They said you would be able to customize your competitive characters because they want you to be able to use your gear and skins you've unlocked or bought. They even mentioned how you would be able to add Augments to boost rewards to your characters. I wouldn't worry because I'm sure it will be fixed by the time the game is out, if not then everyone will be pissed and NRS will have a major problem on their hands.