What's new

problem with Extended Hook and crouch blockers

Like many Clean Cut players I make liberal use of jailing into Extended Hook. Well a Johnny Cage player just punished me for that which had me shooketh because I thought I labbed it and Johnny couldn't punish. But it looks like if you crouch during the string, Extended Hook has less pushback on block, probably 15% less pushback which makes thing that should be unpunishable, punishable.

NRS pls fix

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
You
Like many Clean Cut players I make liberal use of jailing into Extended Hook. Well a Johnny Cage player just punished me for that which had me shooketh because I thought I labbed it and Johnny couldn't punish. But it looks like if you crouch during the string, Extended Hook has less pushback on block, probably 15% less pushback which makes thing that should be unpunishable, punishable.

NRS pls fix
Extended hook on block is -12. :coffee:

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Me, before this thread: lowkey hopeful to start playing Kabal again

Me, after watching the video: dodged a bullet there.

But seriously that's hella dumb.

DeftMonk

Noob
Me, before this thread: lowkey hopeful to start playing Kabal again

Me, after watching the video: dodged a bullet there.

But seriously that's hella dumb.
NRS games have always had different pushback on block for standing/crouching. It may be more ideal to low block everything but it has its drawbacks. This isnt a bug.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
NRS games have always had different pushback on block for standing/crouching. It may be more ideal to low block everything but it has its drawbacks. This isnt a bug.
Huh good to know, never realized that.

Chernyy Volk

Wolf lord, footsie bully, chronic corner abuser.
This is a universal feature of the game. It's hot garbage since it renders tools obviously meant to be safe or give you shimmies pointless. You should get put in standing pushback states whether you're duck blocking or not.

You

Extended hook on block is -12. :coffee:
I'm not sure what exactly NRS is supposed to fix here.
Block disadvantage isn't the only thing that matters when moves have pushback on bock. This move is 100% safe against most characters (as is intended) if they're stand blocking, but since they're less pushback on crouch blockers it becomes punishable, as you can see in the video. What they need to fix is make the crouching block pushback = standing block pushback.

I wouldn't call it a bug either, much like most of the hitbox issues. It's just general jankiness that should not be exist.

This is a universal feature of the game. It's hot garbage since it renders tools obviously meant to be safe or give you shimmies pointless. You should get put in standing pushback states whether you're duck blocking or not.
I actually agree, either blocking highs and mids should put you in standing pushback states, or you shouldn't be able to swap your animination mid-string (unless there's a gap). A whole bunch of things because of the small differences between stand and crouch pushback is currently be discovered, after the hitbox issues this is the next jankiest thing.

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
How could you possibly know if this situation is or isn’t intended... The fact that your opponent knew crouch block would blow it up means he’s a smart player who labbed the MU. Now that you know it’s unsafe, don’t cancel into it on block. This isn’t broken, it doesn’t need a fix, you need to adapt. And only slightly at that. Miss me with that “I don’t want to end my already safe string, I want a safe jailing cancel.”

If you start whiffing mids/ overheads through a crouching opponent or have a string where 1st hit connects but 2nd whiffs and you get punished on hit, make a thread about that.