What's new

Preventing PS4 Bluetooth Controller Sync Problems: Video Inside

Icy Black Deep

Still training...
I've read PS4 controller always transmits via bluetooth, regardless if its wired or if the battery is removed.
That's true, but it does need power to transmit. So, the theory goes, if you remove the battery hitting buttons on the disconnected controller won't do anything because no power.

I think there is a small doubt though whether the controller may be able to do Something Bad in that brief instant when you plug it into another console but it hasn't paired to the new console yet.

HoneyBee

Flash God Lord
Wow great stuff. I'll test this out and if it works, I'll make sure we do this at our Toronto locals and at Toryuken.

Indecisive

We'll burn you all—that is your fate!
I guess its not good enough for front page. Ill just keep bumping it to spread the word.

ChatterBox

Searching for an alt.
I'm tagging @STORMS and @CrimsonShadow again. This seems like the most front page worthy development since sliced bread. Should prevent the issue from ever happening again.

Side note, do people yet know that they can just press home in their ps3 sticks to switch the profile it takes over?

chemist4hire

I Got Guiled
Ive read PS4 controller always transmits via bluetooth, regardless if its wired or if the battery is removed.
This is true. Its for security reasons and why you experience the lockout with non licensed pcbs that lack the bluetooth transmitter.

As discussed on SRK:
" For the dual shock 4, it's all wireless. The USB port usage is limited to the very beginning of the transaction between the DS4 and PS4 wherein it grabs the bluetooth address and link key.. after that, it's a wireless setup. There is no way to force the dual shock 4 into a wired mode." -Phreakazoid

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
That's true, but it does need power to transmit. So, the theory goes, if you remove the battery hitting buttons on the disconnected controller won't do anything because no power.
What if you remove the battery on the DS4, but you want to use a PS3 stick? Does the DS4 then lose the pairing with the PS3 stick?

ChatterBox

Searching for an alt.
What if you remove the battery on the DS4, but you want to use a PS3 stick? Does the DS4 then lose the pairing with the PS3 stick?
The second you unplug the battery removed ps4 controller, yes. You'll need two usb ports for that setup. This is why @Sabin suggested we all get 4 port usb hubs for tourney setups, so each player has two ports to use.

Icy Black Deep

Still training...
I think you would not get the PS3 stick to be recognized if the DS4 was already unplugged or you'd get the "press x on another controller" message if you unplugged the DS4 after associating the PS3 sick.

What I'm not quite sure about is if you could use a USB hub to have both a no-battery DS4 and a PS3 stick connected at the same time. I'm pretty sure it should work, but I'm less sure that it wouldn't add any input delay.

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
What I'm not quite sure about is if you could use a USB hub to have both a no-battery DS4 and a PS3 stick connected at the same time. I'm pretty sure it should work, but I'm less sure that it wouldn't add any input delay.
I wonder if we could just plug the DS4 into a cellphone charger plugged into a nearby outlet as a makeshift solution?