What's new

Strategy Pressure With Stryker

PoliceBrutality

Let's go green!!!!
I am getting a little tired of always running away and zone characters. We all know that no character in this game can win solely by zoning, and stryker out of all of the cast just do not have the tools to constantly apply pressure. So I made it my new project to see if I can find some ways to at least condition my opponent into a guessing game. This is a work in progress and feel free to add you input or potential strings that can be explored. I've been playing stryker since day one, and quiet frankly I dont think im going to get far with this thread lol. So let's just have fun with this and see what we can come up with.

Here is something interesting I have found. I set the computer to Jump to find out if the opponent will be able to jump out of my so call "pressure string".

Opponent Tries to Jump During the String

Opponent Manage to Jump

This only apply to happy jumpers who like to cross up during strings (well im the genius who like to do that lol). At least this is one way to force the opponent to block which gives the opportunity to cheap or throw (maybe force them to use an EN move with armor). I will post more as I come up and find them.

Opponent is Blocking High (after gunshot)

For this one, you dont need to dash to do the B3,2 string. For starters B3 is a little deceptive range wise and dashing will probably give the opponent time to block low.

Opponent is Blocking Low after gunshot

- You can continue the full B3,2 string to attempt to launch them again (beware B3,2 is unsafe on block)
- Cancel B3 into throw
- B3 xx Baton sweep or EN baton sweep (Rampage254 style). One thing to note is that baton sweep does not combo after B3. It just trow the opponent off if they try to block high in anticipation of 2 (overhead) in B3,2.

Lord Beef

Death Metal and Trance
I am getting a little tired of always running away and zone characters. We all know that no character in this game can win solely by zoning, and stryker out of all of the cast just do not have the tools to constantly apply pressure. So I made it my new project to see if I can find some ways to at least but my opponent in a guessing game. This is a work in progress and feel free to add you input or potential strings that can be explored. I've been playing stryker since day one, and quiet frankly I dont think im going to get far with this thread lol. So let's just have fun with this and see what we can come up with.

Here is something interesting I have found. I set the computer to Jump to find out if the opponent will be able to jump out of my so call "pressure string".

This only apply to happy jumpers who like to cross up during strings (well im the genius who like to do that lol). I least this is one way to force the opponent to block which gives the opportunity to cheap or throw (maybe force them to use an EN move). I will post more as I come up and find them.
Quick question bro, is that baton spin bitch slap move safe on block? And what about the baton sweep? Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

PoliceBrutality

Let's go green!!!!
Quick question bro, is that baton spin bitch slap move safe on block? And what about the baton sweep? Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
im guessing you are referring to the roll toss. yeah the toll toss is safe. If anything both players are at neutral frame. Baton sweep im not too sure, it is safe for the most part. Stryker is not at major disadvantage as it was pre-patch. I'll let someone else comment on it, but I would say it is also safe on block )probably neutral as well)

Lord Beef

Death Metal and Trance
im guessing you are referring to the roll toss. yeah the toll toss is safe. If anything both players are at neutral frame. Baton sweep im not too sure, it is safe for the most part. Stryker is not at major disadvantage as it was pre-patch. I'll let someone else comment on it, but I would say it is also safe on block )probably neutral as well)
Right on. Im still learning that MU, and baton twirl was what I was trying to refer to earlier but I couldn't articulate that properly. Sorry for derailing your thread buddy :ninja:

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Quantus

Rain for MK12 Kombat Pack 3
I love to throw this block string out:
B1, 2xxGun Cancel (Dash Forward), 4xx Gun shot (if still blocking, do a 4xx Roll Toss/Baton Sweep)

Really, I just love having fun canceling B1, 2 into gun on block. It really throws off my opponents the first time I do it, and then I use it sparingly (easy to just duck the gun shot, lol)

The only problem with testing stuff like that in training mode is that the CPU doesn't actually jump out on the earliest frame he can jump. He jumps at certain intervals.

Haven't looked at all the videos yet. Just watched the first one and wanted to point that out.

PoliceBrutality

Let's go green!!!!
The only problem with testing stuff like that in training mode is that the CPU doesn't actually jump out on the earliest frame he can jump. He jumps at certain intervals.

Haven't looked at all the videos yet. Just watched the first one and wanted to point that out.
:(:( aaaand there goes my quest to 50/50 shenanigans :(:( good to know tho. Looks like im going to have to find someone after all to help me test these things. I know, im gonna get my wife to start playing MK :p (Damn you NRS) lol

Sorry I didn't want to kill your thread lol. I think it's something very interesting and worth looking into it like you said. Just unfortunate that the training mode sucks like that.

Anyway, to relive this thread I think we should find when the opponent usually likes to crouch poke and when the opponent tries to jump etc. Then look at our AA normals and armor moves and come up with some anti-jump and anti-poke set ups.

The normals I know can hit opponent out of the air if they try to jump out:

-D1
-D2
-D4
-B2
-B3,2

Opponents usually likes to low poke after:

-A blocked Roll Toss
-A blocked Baton Sweep
-A blocked Gun Shot
-A blocked 2
-A blocked B3,2
-A blocked B1,2,2
-Between B2 and F2 or after F2
-They see us Gun cancel

Opponents like to jump after:

-They block a Grenade from far away
-They get hit by Gun Shot or Grenade
-3 Reset (unless you take gun out)
-They knock us down (they try to punish wake up Roll Toss so they neutral jump punch = perfect AA combo opportunity)

Opponent stands up after:

-They block B3 (they expect the overhead follow up)
-They see us cancel Gun (they wanna try to throw a quick projectile or dash forward to close distance)

Opponent crouch blocks after:

-A series of D3 or D4
-They see us take our gun out

LEGEND

YES!
Some pressure mind games i use after close gun cancel:

D1, D3, D3
D1 baton sweep
grapple
back-dash roll toss (for wiff punishing counter pokes)
D4 gun/cancel
12, If it hits try and follow with a grapple
4 gun/cancel
4-baton swep or roll toss
step back 3, can also link with a special, preferably gun cancel
D4 roll toss or baton sweep
if they respect your pressure you can throw in a back-step B32 or B3 baton sweep mixup without getting poke out of it
B4
backwards cancel, B2F2 or B2B4

Edit:
12 is also decent vs a jump out attempt and leads to a simple juggle then 3 reset, D4 gunshot and D1 baton sweep also work in a similar way

LEGEND

YES!
i've been messing with some things today and here's what i got:

114 on block spaces out perfectly for you to follow up with a B4 or NJP (B4 appears to be plus on block, but i think it might be practice mode BS) if so then a standing 4 is free, take a second to try out 114, b4, 4 baton sweep. . . does that look sick or what? It may not be that great but Stryker needs all he can get

Also B32, 11 gunshot, B4 sets up continued pressure very nicely. It does more damage than the reset from B32 and allows for optimum spacing for B32 to deny wake-ups.
Pressure example: B32 11Gunshot B4, B3 Ex Baton sweep, D3 grapple or D3 D1. Kind of a mixup at the end

Additionally, once someone starts shutting down B32 with interruption pokes and specials go with B3 gun/cancel mixups to restart that string as a mind game

Also B32, 11 gunshot, B4 sets up continued pressure very nicely.
Maybe I'm not understanding your point, but Sweep doesn't give you untechable knockdown and isn't a reset. So they are free to roll away or wake up attack..

The reason why standing 3 is so good even if it deals less damage is because it prevents them from getting the invincible frames and puts Stryker at +frame advantage because of the stagger on hit. So if they try an EN move it can easily be stuffed or lose to throw. If they try to jump they can be AA comboed into reset. And if they low poke they can eat another standing 3 or cross-up JP combo yet into another reset.

And Baton Sweep prevents them from rolling away so they have no choice but to wake up or block.

I'll still give that a try and see how it goes though. I know one of the advantages of B4 is that it keeps you close to the opponent even if they roll out so it might be interesting.

LEGEND

YES!
Maybe I'm not understanding your point, but Sweep doesn't give you untechable knockdown and isn't a reset. So they are free to roll away or wake up attack..

The reason why standing 3 is so good even if it deals less damage is because it prevents them from getting the invincible frames and puts Stryker at +frame advantage because of the stagger on hit. So if they try an EN move it can easily be stuffed or lose to throw. If they try to jump they can be AA comboed into reset. And if they low poke they can eat another standing 3 or cross-up JP combo yet into another reset.

And Baton Sweep prevents them from rolling away so they have no choice but to wake up or block.

I'll still give that a try and see how it goes though. I know one of the advantages of B4 is that it keeps you close to the opponent even if they roll out so it might be interesting.
its just a way to safely get B32 out or a crossover Jump kick

i see this being a matchup specific tool

EDIT: you can tech roll out of it, i guess every human player i fought just kept doing it hella late

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
I honestly find it very difficult to break down a character to the max without seeing the hit and block frame data. Saying yes, move X is +frames on block is good to know, but without knowing exact numbers to definitively say "...and following up with a standing 4 is a true frame trap" its hard to create setups, at least for me. I hope Somberness does Stryker soon.

Vulcan, you are ridiculous man. I've been following your Stryker for as long as I can remember. I love the character (he's my secondary) and my Stryker in this game is completely built on your foundation. =)

LEGEND

YES!
Thanks man. :)

LETHAL LEGEND: Sorry man, you were right. Regular sweep actually works really well to keep the opponent close and it setups the B3/B2/2/D1 buffers nicely to potentially bait and destroy wake ups. So does ending combos with D1. That's really an awesome find. :D
i got the idea from Xblades (liu kang), he ends most of his mid screen combos with sweep to keep them close and have enough advantage to deal with wake-ups, it a pretty nice tool even if they tech roll due to the advantage alone and it stops the wake-up option if they try and get out of it

and np man, that whole post was just stuff i was messing with. if something doesn't work i want to know

thanks for your input

LEGEND

YES!
been using Grenade to end corner combos, give a nice bit of advantage and doesn't skimp on the damage

Example, B32 12 12 12 12 grenade= 40%. sets up for OS quite nicely too

and after a Air-to-Air punch you can land a standing 1 before 4 roll toss for an extra 1%. thats all i got for now

Espio

Kokomo
I'm a rushdown player at heart and I've been experimenting with ways to use Stryker's existing tools to my advantage in this regard, I feel like I currently have the ability to compete up close or far away against most opponents, if I have to fight at said ranges.

What this thread is primarily about is some things I've been working on to advance said rushdown game.

I've been incorporating a combination of 1,1, roll toss ; 1,2, gunshot/ cancel into throw/ cancel into jump in punch/ cancel into trip or poke/ cancel into back 1,2,2 or other strings + mixing it up with trips, 2,3,2 and back 3, 2.

Bascially, using gun cancel up close, like you'd use Rain's roundhouse kick cancels, constantly mixing it up and putting your opponent in a guessing game, now obviously I know there are holes here and ways to escape pressure, but that's to be expected.

His reset comes into play as well as roundhouse or down 4 into baton sweep for me.

I know some people might already be doing the stuff I mentioned or have been doing it, so I'm not proclaiming to have a completely unique idea, just some tinkering and experimentation :D.

It seems fairly effective against many opponents (as I've actually been playing pretty good players), but I'd like to hear from my fellow cops how they handle this situation and if my ideas are viable and the experiences of you all have had, regardless of experience, I'd like to hear all your thoughts:).

Espio

Kokomo
Drop that cancel up close and shoot you're fucked. Really risky IMO
Could you elaborate a bit further? There's certainly a risk, undoubtedly, but how big are you thinking? Because low poke is certainly a possiblity and if your opponent is crouch blocking, I also wouldn't do it because they could uppercut, additionally I'd only do it after strings that are safe on block and have pushback.

There's of course the risk reward to consider, but you wouldn't always be canceling or even pulling the gun out at all, it's just a small component of the rushdown, not to be abused too often.

I'd like to hear what alternative suggestions you have as well for rushdown, as I'm always open to learning more and do you think the occassional use of up close gun cancels (not excessive) is a viable strategy or too risky to be worth it? Also, thank you for responding to my post, my ideas might be a bit silly, but I'm trying to squeeze as much as I can out of his tools.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
I mean like if I were to use standing 3 into gun and wanted to cancel out of that into another move....instead of doing that I accidentally drop the cancel and i'm just the right distance to eat a full combo.

LEGEND

YES!
Gun Cancel pressure is all about punishing you opponents poke attempts, keeping them grounded and making them wiff attacks by back-dash canceling. Stryker's 2, 3, 4, D4 and B3 all have very good range

the best ways to start the pressure are:
D3, 4G/C
Hold gun then dash in 3 G/C
2G/C gives best frame advantage but its slow speed makes it risky, its range can be used as an anti dash in though
D4 G/C

you have to use the correct follow up normal to beat certain escape attempts, its all mostly character specific and you have to know your opponent, basics would be back dashing out with gun drawn to bait an attack or jump, using 4 to beat out said attack or you can release Gun. 3, 2 and D4 to counter pokes

Every time i try rushdown... gun cancels seem too innefective, cause the time to cancel is a good time to poke.
Better thing i found is D3, 4, Roll Toss, and again... Fast + Low frames recovery.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
The problem with gun cancels, is that, you can be d1'ed, d3'ed and possibly uppercutted if fast enough. I've been wanting to get into Stryker myself, and I can really only enjoy rushdown orientated characters, and through my brief experimentation with the character I was getting poked like crazy. Problem with rolls is that you've gotta tech throws constantly as well.

Espio

Kokomo
Gun Cancel pressure is all about punishing you opponents poke attempts, keeping them grounded and making them wiff attacks by back-dash canceling. Stryker's 2, 3, 4, D4 and B3 all have very good range

the best ways to start the pressure are:
D3, 4G/C
Hold gun then dash in 3 G/C
2G/C gives best frame advantage but its slow speed makes it risky, its range can be used as an anti dash in though
D4 G/C

you have to use the correct follow up normal to beat certain escape attempts, its all mostly character specific and you have to know your opponent, basics would be back dashing out with gun drawn to bait an attack or jump, using 4 to beat out said attack or you can release Gun. 3, 2 and D4 to counter pokes
Thank you so much for these tips, I watched some vids of your Stryker, really great stuff man, will try to incorporate some of that into my game.

I mean like if I were to use standing 3 into gun and wanted to cancel out of that into another move....instead of doing that I accidentally drop the cancel and i'm just the right distance to eat a full combo.
I tried a bit more and see exactly what you mean, gun cancels seem to be more effective for full screen mind games and spacing then for rushdown.