What's new

"Prepare to be Astounded!" - Zatanna General Discussion Thread

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
Does Zatanna have a true meterless vortex like Sinestro?
No and yes. Mostly no.

With an interactable bounce she can technically reset you multiple times without meter. But it can be backdashed/jumped out of (however she can frame trap them to make them respect the 50/50). It also pushes you out of range from interactable bounce after like 2 iterations so it's technically not infinite.

EDIT:
If you're curious;

starter~interact, b3, dash, d2~duf, f2

Use either b2 or b1 as a starter.

Last edited:

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
She does in the corner. End all corner combos with f21 and the hit advantage lets you go for a 50/50 with b2 or b1.
There's like a 3 frame gap so you can start a jump and it will stuff up the overhead combo.

Also, b2 is reactable (albeit with lots of practise) so this is fuzzy-guardable.

In practice mode, how do you check whether a move is crossing up or not? I knock down my opponent and do a ji2 and I can't tell whether it is crossing him up or not. Is there a way to test this in practice mode without having to have a buddy hold left or right to block?

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
In practice mode, how do you check whether a move is crossing up or not? I knock down my opponent and do a ji2 and I can't tell whether it is crossing him up or not. Is there a way to test this in practice mode without having to have a buddy hold left or right to block?
Record yourself doing the setup and try to block.

(A.I. options, scroll to record)

i'm really enjoying this character so far! she has a bunch of rad setups and i love her mobility. thanks for the tech on this thread and some of the other threads here, good work!

BlastX21

Noob
Have any of you guys been messaged about MB multi kicks being glitched in online play? I was playing KillaG today (great player, btw), and there were several instances of me blocking 112 but getting hit by MB kicks, even though I was still blocking. The same happened when he did d1-multi kicks. I block the d1, but the kicks still hit me. It wasn't every time, but multi kicks hit me (when I was blocking) about 90% of the time.

This is not the first instance of this. It also happened to me in a set several months ago, but I ignored it, thinking it was an isolated incident. But if this is an actual glitch, then its an issue.

So, have you guys received any complaints on this, or noticed opponents blocking strings but somehow getting hit by the kicks? If not, I'll just chalk it up to connection issues or something....

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
Have any of you guys been messaged about MB multi kicks being glitched in online play? I was playing KillaG today (great player, btw), and there were several instances of me blocking 112 but getting hit by MB kicks, even though I was still blocking. The same happened when he did d1-multi kicks. I block the d1, but the kicks still hit me. It wasn't every time, but multi kicks hit me (when I was blocking) about 90% of the time.

This is not the first instance of this. It also happened to me in a set several months ago, but I ignored it, thinking it was an isolated incident. But if this is an actual glitch, then its an issue.

So, have you guys received any complaints on this, or noticed opponents blocking strings but somehow getting hit by the kicks? If not, I'll just chalk it up to connection issues or something....
The kicks hit low, mid, mid, low, mid, mid, mid. Make sure you're blocking low. I have never seen this happen before. Are you sure you aren't trying to reversal out or mash? Maybe your controller is dropping out.

I'm pretty confident that there isn't a glitch that does this.

BlastX21

Noob
The kicks hit low, mid, mid, low, mid, mid, mid. Make sure you're blocking low. I have never seen this happen before. Are you sure you aren't trying to reversal out or mash? Maybe your controller is dropping out.

I'm pretty confident that there isn't a glitch that does this.
Alright, thanks. Just making sure. I'll try a new controller.

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
Something I've been playing around with: I like to call it the Zatanna earth shaker. ;)
After a regular puppet master, dash up and do Standing 3 canceled into puppet master or kicks.
What happens is they have to block the standing 3 backwards then whatever you cancel into must be blocked same side.
For example: 3xx PM is a left to right block
3xx PM is a left to down back block.
Its some very "tricky" stuff.

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
Something I've been playing around with: I like to call it the Zatanna earth shaker. ;)
After a regular puppet master, dash up and do Standing 3 canceled into puppet master or kicks.
What happens is they have to block the standing 3 backwards then whatever you cancel into must be blocked same side.
For example: 3xx PM is a left to right block
3xx PM is a left to down back block.
Its some very "tricky" stuff.
I don't quite understand this setup, but couldn't they just block by holding down? Or just jump out?

DarksydeDash

I don't quite understand this setup, but couldn't they just block by holding down? Or just jump out?
They can jump out if they know how to with reversed controls but can't block it holding down. The best way to describe this is think of her fuzzy guard setup. You have to block the j1 in front but then the dive kick behind. This is the same thing, but with reversed controls. If your opponent tries holding down or in this case up to auto block it, they must fuzzy guard to the opposite direction they are holding since the puppet master wears off when you cancel it. The most practical use of this is in the corner since you don't need to dash up. Also if they are holding up to hold down, they can jump out of the puppet master but can't against the multi-kicks. So therefore, I recommend you don't cancel 3 into puppet master if you are facing a smart opponent. Hope this clears some confusion up.

Last edited:

kevkopdx

Noob
They can jump out if they know how to with reversed controls but can't block it holding down. The best way to describe this is think of her fuzzy guard setup. You have to block the j1 in front but then the dive kick behind. This is the same thing, but with reversed controls. If your opponent tries holding down or in this case up to auto block it, they must fuzzy guard to the opposite direction they are holding since the puppet master wears off when you cancel it. The most practical use of this is in the corner since you don't need to dash up. Also if they are holding up to hold down, they can jump out of the puppet master but can't against the multi-kicks. So therefore, I recommend you don't cancel 3 into puppet master if you are facing a smart opponent. Hope this clears some confusion up.
i dont think there is a practical reason to do this... corner or midscreen after a regular mb trance, you might as well go for a full combo that still ends in trance... of course doing little tricks like this is whats fun about mixing it up with zatanna ...

DarksydeDash

i dont think there is a practical reason to do this... corner or midscreen after a regular mb trance, you might as well go for a full combo that still ends in trance... of course doing little tricks like this is whats fun about mixing it up with zatanna ...
Either way, I'm posting it as a thread so people know it exists.

DarksydeDash

Out of curiosity, what are your guys bnbs? I'm talking about what you would do after a ring toss into Puppet master. The practical stuff.

Shiizu

Theory Fighter
I usually do j2 - 112 x MB multikicks - ji3 - 112 x Ender
The ender is usually a regular trance, or cards for damage. Sometimes i'll end with MB fire kiss and then activate trait.

What does everyone use to discourage opponents from jumping as Zatanna? Does she have any reliable anti-airs? Sometimes I find myself just teleporting away just to avoid the pressure, but it doesn't really discourage them from jumping in constantly. Her d2 gets stuffed by most jump-ins I find, and she doesn't have the normals to reliably air-to-air other characters.

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
Out of curiosity, what are your guys bnbs? I'm talking about what you would do after a ring toss into Puppet master. The practical stuff.
After rings into trance I think max damage is;

db1, bf3(MB), du, du, low levitate, j2, b3, ji2, ji2, 112~bf3

Easier to land however is;

db1, bf3(MB), du, du, j2, b1u3, ji2, d2, b3, dash, 112~bf3

b23 doesn't work after rings as a launcher but will work for more damage after a naked puppet master.

DarksydeDash

After rings into trance I think max damage is;

db1, bf3(MB), du, du, low levitate, j2, b3, ji2, ji2, 112~bf3

Easier to land however is;

db1, bf3(MB), du, du, j2, b1u3, ji2, d2, b3, dash, 112~bf3

b23 doesn't work after rings as a launcher but will work for more damage after a naked puppet master.
The combo I've been doing is similar to that last one:
only instead of after that b3 I do a f21.