What's new

General/Other Prepare for Kombatant, Smoke!

Dope Dojo

The Bomb Diggity
Salutations all:

I've been playing MK9 for about 3 weeks now. Since Smoke is one of my favorite characters, I thought I'd make him my main. Competitively my background lies in Street Fighter & Soul Calibur and I've been finding the transition to MK to be pretty rough.

I've been scanning through the threads, but it seems hard to get all the needed information that's current together. So, I thought it would be easier to do it this way. If anyone here specializes in or mains Smoke, knows his ins & outs then it'd be great to get to play you. Currently I'm on PS3, but I do have a 360 and it would be easy to get a copy of the game for it.

Just send an invite to BBC_Sniper_Wolf or Dojo_Sniper_Wolf. Just make sure to leave a note in the message body so I know who you are or what game you're related to.

When it comes to Smoke so far I've gotten down a couple of combos.

1) UF2 ~ 3 D1 2 (loop 3x) D4 ~ Smoke Bomb ~ UF 4 ~ Air Throw
~ F4

2) 3 2 (loop 2-3 times) ^ As above.

3) 3 D1 2 ~ U2 ~ 3 2 ~ 32 ~ D2 ~D1 ~ Smoke Bomb ~ Air Throw/ F4 ~ Enhanced Smoke Bomb

As of now I'm having the hardest time with:

•Getting accustomed to footsies in the game. This could be because I'm online, but I cant' seem to get any
decent block strings going without someone just D3'ing me after each move.

•Anti airing with 2 or D1. I've tried this a few times. I know that Smoke's go to Anti Air seems to be 2, 2, D1 ~Smoke Bomb. I don't know if I'm not angled properly on the 2 but I always seem to get hit by each
jump punch or kick. The same goes with D1.

•Resets: The other BnB seems to be using the Enhanced Smoke Bomb as an ender for a 32 combo, or a F4 combo. I'm in training mode half the time when I go for this but it doesn't seem to catch the opponent and pop them up. It just hits for an additional 2-3% damage. It could be because I'm not waiting for them to be low enough to the ground.
======================

I'll wrap this up. Any help would be appreciated.

Dope Dojo

The Bomb Diggity
@Zerg, I tried Injustice when it came out. Story Mode was good, couldn't quite get into the game play, I know it's similar to MK, but not quite the same for me. My end goal isn't to become a top player in MK9. My goal is to learn the ins and outs of the game. That way when MKX comes out, I'm not scrambling to learn the character & the game. If I get to a competitive level in MK9 I'll know what to look for when X comes out.

@Shaolin. Thanks. I appreciate the assistance. Do you still play?

Dope Dojo

The Bomb Diggity
@Forever I do have an X Box, I just don't have the game on that system yet. So far I've haven't met enough people to warrant buying an extra copy. But that may change the more I get to know this community.

@XVaP. Cool, I'll send you an add when I get a chance.

SHAOLIN

内部冲突
@Dope Dojo Not as much as I used to,but yes I still play
PSN: Ipals_Shaolin

Also to tag someone in your post use the"@" at the beginning of someones name....just make sure to write the full name(correctly of course) for it to work.

Hanzer0

Wanna order chinese later?
Smokes footsies are good. You want to stand in jump range mostly and bait jump ins. Try to use 2 earlier to AA as its hitbox is pretty tall so hit it when they begin to arc down. Crossovers can be tough to deal with but 2 or d1 can stop this with precise timing. D3 lowers smoke enough to make air attacks miss and you can just mash it out. Most people will just keep jumping on you... If they're bad. His best footsie tool is b2. B23xsb is a full combo. Smokes dashes aren't great so a good tactic is to walk backwards in footsies. If they whiff then punish with b2 if they try to jump really far you can back walk out of range and b2 when they land. D4 reaches very similar to b2 so try to land these from max range. D4 on hit guarantees another d4 (low) or b2 (overhead).

Dope Dojo

The Bomb Diggity
Sweet video. Can you always D1 after a jump kick or a teleport punch? Or is it a corner specific link.

Hanzer0

Wanna order chinese later?
Sweet video. Can you always D1 after a jump kick or a teleport punch? Or is it a corner specific link.
If you land a jumping kicks as deep as they can get (you'll be touching the ground) then you can dash up and land a d1xsb for a combo. The teleport combo only works in the corner but its the same follow-up.
Note: b23xteleport, d1xsb and
Jump in kickxteleport, d1xsb. These only work in the corner but its a very useful link to practice.

DreadKnight1

Beaten, by this mere man
my guess is that you're a british player (based on BBC being in your tag), if you play on ps3 add me for games, i'm a casual player who mains scorpion and raiden,i also secondary half the cast. i spend most of my gaming hours on injustice but i'm usually down for mk causals. psn: oNe87_Dread

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
For standing 2 and d1 to work as AA you have to space them properly. If you try to AA with the opponent being too close when they jump, their jump-in attacks will beat your AA attempts if you don't do them super early.

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
@Dope Dojo

•Getting accustomed to footsies in the game. This could be because I'm online, but I cant' seem to get any
decent block strings going without someone just D3'ing me after each move.

Smoke should be played as more of a hit and run type character. Most of his good normals and strings are 0 on block and most of the time the meta-game comes down to whether or not you cancel something into smoke away or take a risk by poking when your opponent is free to use armor if they have it or a fast poke themselves. However, Smoke has a big advantage here as d1 smoke bomb will trade with most pokes and give you a full combo. So make your opponent respect this and it will open up more free block strings just because your opponent does not want to push a button.

Smoke's biggest footsie tools are d3 and d4 to continue pressure, and b2 for range. Most opponents will not be blocking low against Smoke so use this to your advantage as well to get + frames off of his pokes into more shenanigans like block strings. Practice cancelling neutral strings into smoke away to force your opponent to make their way in again. You can also cancel these into smoke bomb if you think your opponent is going to press buttons after a block string.

•Anti airing with 2 or D1. I've tried this a few times. I know that Smoke's go to Anti Air seems to be 2, 2, D1 ~Smoke Bomb. I don't know if I'm not angled properly on the 2 but I always seem to get hit by each
jump punch or kick. The same goes with D1.

d1 timing on cross ups (especially online) can be tricky. JK's will normally beat out a d1 AA attempt, but since JPs have to be used late to hit/jail people, think of using d1 a split second before your opponent would throw out their JP to make it connect. That should help with the timing.

Standing 2 anti-air is really easy since the vertical hitbox is so godlike. You can hit people out of the air pretty damn high. So I would suggest just playing the CPU in training mode on normal difficulty because the AI will jump at you ALLLL the time. That way you can practice the timing, and since the AI's jumps are still random, you should get some good practice at doing it on reaction. Definitely get use to it offline first because any anti-air online can end up being inconsistent.

•Resets: The other BnB seems to be using the Enhanced Smoke Bomb as an ender for a 32 combo, or a F4 combo. I'm in training mode half the time when I go for this but it doesn't seem to catch the opponent and pop them up. It just hits for an additional 2-3% damage. It could be because I'm not waiting for them to be low enough to the ground.

Regardless of what your juggle is at mid-screen, you are going to want to hit your opponent with f4~EX bomb when they are roughly at Smoke's waist height. I normally like connecting the f4 when Smoke is about a half-dash away from the opponent. Since Smoke's reset is pretty timing and spacing dependant, most people have their own little quirks they use to get the reset down consistently so you kind of in a way just have to get used to it and come up with your own consistent method.

The corner is much more forgiving in terms of doing the reset and you should be able to pull that off by hitting your opponent at waist height or slightly above.

Obviously check out the Smoke combo thread for some reset combos. For starters, a few easy mode resets I like to do are:

bomb, njp~tele(whiff), dash, 32, 32, f4~EX bomb
21~bomb, njp~tele (whiff), dash, 32, 32, f4~EX bomb
3d12, 3d12, 3d12, dash, d4~bomb, f4~EX bomb (if you don't like the d4~bomb you can link it with other things like 2~bomb, 21~bomb, etc)
b23~bomb, dash, 32, 32, f4~EX bomb (you can change the 2nd 32 to 3d12, but I think the timing is easier with 2 32's...just comes down to your timing mechanism and what works)