What's new

Premier Skins?

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
I thought the Great Kung Lao could have been an awesome premier skin for Liu Kang. But now that he's a Kung Lao special, that would probably be too confusing...

Reactions: Zev

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
Kinda works with Injustice because a lot of characters kinda share powers and such... not so much with Mortal Kombat though. There's a few examples, but almost no one would like to see those, so it would be a waste to spend time on making them as premier skins.

Great Kung Lao
One of the few examples that could work.

stokedAF

casual kahnage
The guests should be premier skins. Then you can have 25 guests and nobody would care. Could probably get more sales in 5 dollar costume packs then you could on a 5 dollar character.

Edmund

Kitana & Skarlet
I don’t know i think it would have worked for things if characters get movelists fused... like have a jade skin in mkx for mournful

They could do that for anyone who inherited someone’s moves

If Takeda is dlc and he gets Kenshi moves then sure make him a skin, or if Kung Lao got Kung Jin’s bow

But because a lot of the characters are their own, it’s rather difficult

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
In all seriousness, as a big Reiko fan... if I had to choose between not having Reiko at all, or having him as a premier skin for Shao Kahn, I choose the premier skin option. I think that could actually work reasonably well.
As a Reiko fan as well... I'm not sure. I was so disgusted by the Mournful variation in MKX, because I felt like it shat all over Jade and the fans, literally turning her into a "function" (I'm sorry, I know it's a really bad word!) and thrown at Kitana, like they couldn't make up a third unique variation and went "Let's just give her Jade's moves, no one can tell a difference anyways".

Felt the same when they gave Robin Nightwing's staff. It was not the same. And I don't really believe in the "better than nothing" mentality.

I want Reiko to be his very own unique character. Not just a Shao Kahn mini-me. And making him into a premier skin for Shao Kahn... I'm not sure how I'd feel about that. Because in the end... it's not Reiko I'm playing as. It's Shao Kahn, but with Reiko's skin.

It'd kinda just be "play pretend" in the end... and I don't think that would be enough for me.

pure.Wasted

As a Reiko fan as well... I'm not sure. I was so disgusted by the Mournful variation in MKX, because I felt like it shat all over Jade and the fans, literally turning her into a "function" (I'm sorry, I know it's a really bad word!) and thrown at Kitana, like they couldn't make up a third unique variation and went "Let's just give her Jade's moves, no one can tell a difference anyways".

Felt the same when they gave Robin Nightwing's staff. It was not the same. And I don't really believe in the "better than nothing" mentality.

I want Reiko to be his very own unique character. Not just a Shao Kahn mini-me. And making him into a premier skin for Shao Kahn... I'm not sure how I'd feel about that. Because in the end... it's not Reiko I'm playing as. It's Shao Kahn, but with Reiko's skin.

It'd kinda just be "play pretend" in the end... and I don't think that would be enough for me.
It's not just a skin, though, it would be unique animations (at LEAST for intros and victory poses), unique intros and voice lines, unique effects on his abilities, hopefully even unique skins, gear, and fatalities (I don't see why not)... the only thing they'd really have to share is the fundamentals of their gameplay.

And uh... Reiko is kind of known for sharing Shao Kahn's moves in canon, so in a way it almost feels right.

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
And uh... Reiko is kind of known for sharing Shao Kahn's moves. Canonically.
Which I'm saying I'd like for him to move away from that, have his own unique moves, make him his own character. A premier skin is the opposite of that. It's settling for lesser.

pure.Wasted

Which I'm saying I'd like for him to move away from that, have his own unique moves, make him his own character. A premier skin is the opposite of that. It's settling for lesser.
Well yeah, of course it's far from ideal. No doubt I'd much rather have him as a unique character.

I'm just saying as a hypothetical, if it's between premier or nothing at all... a premier skin has the opportunity to show the community (who haven't read the comics for example) what makes Reiko so awesome, and make lots of new fans. That's huge. New fans translate into hype and demand for him to be a unique character in the future. No premier skin = no new fans = no additional demand = it might take another 15 years before we see him again. That's the worst of all timelines.

IceNine

Tired, But Strong
That's obv. preferable! But wasted's inital post was "If it's absolutely nothing or the premier skin, I'll settle for the skin". I think that's a pretty fair position. It's not ideal, but imo it wouldn't be insultingly bad either.

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
So... "better than nothing".
As said, I'm just not a fan of that mentality. Then I'd not have him at all.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Schwarzenegger’s Mr. freeze as a premier skin for Subzero so he can fight against Schwarzenegger as Terminator.