What's new

Predicting the most broken Kustom variations in MK11 Ultimate

Cetrion: deadly winds + vapor halo (v3, but she'll always get the best element which lets her block after any hit)
Noob: slide + spirit ball + shadow portals (ungodly neutral and combo damage)
Liu Kang: low fireball + dragon fire + dragon's gifts (his best variation but with extra damage and a teleport)
Jax: extended strings + quad grab + duck and weave (he can tic grab off of the 3rd and 5th hits of the extended string, and he gets a launcher...)
Kitana: ground war + edenian twist + low fan (she can tack a 50/50 to the end of any button or string)
Kung Lao: spirit of great kung lao + Z Hat (insane pressure)

These are just a few that I came up with that could be legit overpowered and have a chance of staying unchanged when Ultimate comes out. I didn't consider moves that might be banned like Spawn's Soul Forfeit and Frost's giant square of death.

Last edited:
Soul Forfeit stays, imo. I see a lot of talk about banning it but I think it's a fair move and, honestly, should have been used in one of his ranked variations. Plus it's really unique and I think it would be a shame to shove it to the wayside when it gives him such an interesting dynamic using his KBs as a toolkit.

I dunno about broken but I've always liked inserting Moonfall into Nightwolf's v2 instead of the teleport as I feel like it complements that setup far more than teleport can and he doesn't really need it anyway.

For Baraka, I think Blood Lunge + Leg Kabob is really dirty and strong. Used to be insane before v3 got added and Kabob got nerfed into being actually somewhat fair, lol.
Sub-Zero with ground freeze and creeping ice seems kinda cancery.
Shang Tsung has gained a lot of options now and is a big winner.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
It's gonna be hard to predict, since they said that they're making lots of changes to moves, rebalancing things, and adding new bans/conflicts on stuff that we don't have in the current patch.

So basically, whatever we predict now isn't actually based on the tools and restrictions the custom variations will be built on in a week from now.

Blade4693

VIVIVI
I am positive they have been working on this for a while and tweaking things. The things we are finding right now won't be as strong as they are once they are legal.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
@CrimsonShadow They said new conflicts? In that case Noob's slide might end up conflicting with spirit ball. I hope nrs doesn't get too restrictive as that would defeat the purpose of customs
Yeah, they did. They basically said that they took a fresh look through everything and added new restrictions on things that they felt were too strong to use together. And that a few moves will just be banned outright from competitive customs.

I don’t think it’ll be too crazy, but it’ll just be used here and there to keep things from becoming completely ridiculous.

And honestly, if done right it should work for creativity, because no one wants to be creative when there’s one particular obvious combination of moves that is 5x stronger than any other loadout.

DeftMonk

Noob
It's gonna be hard to predict, since they said that they're making lots of changes to moves, rebalancing things, and adding new bans/conflicts on stuff that we don't have in the current patch.

So basically, whatever we predict now isn't actually based on the tools and restrictions the custom variations will be built on in a week from now.
Basically this. Not gonna lab anything cuz it reminds me of when I labbed for lao getting a new variation then boom day of found out that variation loses hat spin. Or similar to how shang’s new variation was changed so that shapeshifter mastery or wtfever used up all 3 slots. There will be a lot of similar changes I am sure.

Baconlord

Proud follower of the church of Cetrion
cetrion: nado, tele, ground pound
jaqcui: leap, amp shrapnel, clinch
Johnny: pissed off, low forceball, sunglasses
kabal: low hook, extend hook, hook grab

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
Kotal's Regen Totem build is borked to fuck. He is going to own ranked at the start of this until people learn to deal. Check the Condiment Bros video on it ages back and MrAquaman runs it a lot in his Kustom Kombat events with his subscribers.. it is just BONKERS!!!

Shang Tsung has a swapping move that does 30 unblockable damage lol. It will be insanely broken because he can zone you all day and there's nothing you can do about it

Tele-cancel scorpion with the popup NJP is stupid.

Sub Zero, even if ice puddle is nerfed- with fast iceball, keeping the low slide, and air axe is ridiculous.

And there's more than one way to make Cetrion more broken than she already is, but I'm less worried about her since I'm expecting her to get hit with the nerf bat regardless.

Kotal with launcher, command grab and dmg totem.
^ this is a pretty crazy one as well

scarsunseen

RIP TYM 6/11/2021
i think the auger will probably be the best despite the setup potential from burst.

she looses her db2 for head bombs and the auger can really help cover the neutral control she looses. Also having any launcher to apply oki pressure with that isnt her b32d1 string will be amazing.
I predict Core Trap will be banned. Core Trap with MicroBurst is REALLY REALLY BROKEN.

DixieFlatline78

Everyone Has A Path
Bro just make MK11 three rounds and let things be broken

We got Kano with unbreakable D2/FB combos
We got Noob Saibot doing 40% with two bars
We got Frost with TOD restands
We got Shao Kahn
We got Kotal doing 55% one bar combos

This game is about to be wild. Let it rock.