What's new

Question - Predator Predator weaknesses: Punishing

jokey77

Character Loyalist
Guuuuuys! I asked for not turning this into a buff'em/nerf'em-discussion! Stop this!

Maybe his punishing aint that bad after all!

I think
- airborne opponents can be NPD'd into something like b22~bf2, b22/rc112~bf4 [ex'd into 4~bf4]
- most standing attacks can be f12u2'd
- slides have so much recovery that even 212 becomes an option

And when in doubt, go 32~plasmacancel, 32~followup of choice. Generally this is becoming my "when in doubt"-string! It totally seems to be the best option Predator has in his arsenal.

Predator aint an easy character, but you can work around his weaknesses.

Jay Rupp

Human Smoke or Riot
..................... Over powered? *facepalm* god damn it. I don't understand how people supposedly think he is over powered when predator has literally no reversals or wake ups... And if you say EXSimitarSlice, then I would like to inform you that that has 22 frame start up, that shit isn't for waking up, that is for counter zoning because of the distance it goes, as a wake up it is absolutely awful, literally every character in the game can blow up that wake up with Normals and it is insanely negative.
For the life of me I can't understand htf anyone can say he's op. Dude needs buffs before he needs nerfs. Slow strings with gaps, shitty wakeup game and gimped punishes. Preds game plan has more holes than a block of swiss cheese. Get serious salty kids.

Last edited:

MrProfDrPepper

NRS, Guilty Gear, and KI, the holy trinity
Guuuuuys! I asked for not turning this into a buff'em/nerf'em-discussion! Stop this!

I think
- airborne opponents can be NPD'd into something like b22~bf2, b22/rc112~bf4 [ex'd into 4~bf4]

And when in doubt, go 32~plasmacancel, 32~followup of choice. Generally this is becoming my "when in doubt"-string! It totally seems to be the best option Predator has in his arsenal.

For the life of me I can't understand htf anyone can say he's op. Dude needs buffs before he needs nerfs. Slow strings with gaps, shitty wakeup game, gimped punishes and a laughable dash. Preds game plan has more holes than a block of swiss cheese. Get serious salty kids.
i actually dont think he needs nerfs and buffs, i think he is mid-high tier, he is a good character but sure as fuck isnt OP, i was just confused as fuck as to why people think he is OP, Predator is all either incredible or horrible, there is no "he does this okay" everything is either holy fuck that is amazing or holy shit that is bad

jokey77

Character Loyalist
Please tell me that you guys are trolling me bigtime! What more can I do than begin 'my' thread with a request?

It is a problem that only 9-year-old kids seem to play guest characters while even TYM veterans only use DLC-subforums to remind ppl of how their real mains have become obsolete and need buffs.

Can't you guys just open up a new thread "Does Predator need buffs/nerfs?". All patch requests could go there and I could simply avoid wasting my time on that thread! Another thread could be named "Why Predator has made my main obsolete and why this justifies another patch".

MrProfDrPepper

Please tell me that you guys are trolling me bigtime! What more can I do than begin 'my' thread with a request?

It is a problem that only 9-year-old kids seem to play guest characters while even TYM veterans only use DLC-subforums to remind ppl of how their real mains have become obsolete and need buffs.

Can't you guys just open up a new thread "Does Predator need buffs/nerfs?". All patch requests could go there and I could simply avoid wasting my time on that thread! Another thread could be named "Why Predator has made my main obsolete and why this justifies another patch".
..... i never once said that he needed nerfs or buffs........ hell i said i think he doesnt need nerfs or buffs to clarify that i was requesting neither. i was just confused as to why people thought he was overpowered.

jokey77

Character Loyalist
Predator is all either incredible or horrible, there is no "he does this okay" everything is either holy fuck that is amazing or holy shit that is bad
I am not sure about this! I somewhat agree though! Predator has to work pretty hard to do the most basic things (like having decent mix-ups, longreaching strings that arent negative, and so on) ! At least in his HQT-variation Plasmacancels open up plenty of options to deal with these issues!

I don't think that he can't punish. It is just that you have to find ways to make it work...

Also his wakeup is not as horrible as people claim it was. Techroll into wakeup or delayed wakeup does actually work pretty well with ex scimitar. Besides he has a great lowpoke with d3. Again in HQT-variation d3 on hit allows a 32-string which is the best way to start your offense going.

Last edited:

MrProfDrPepper

I am not sure about this! I somewhat agree though! Predator has to work pretty hard to do the most basic things! At least in his HQT-variation Plasmacancels open up plenty of options though!

I don't think that he can't punish though. It is just that you have to find ways to make it work...

Also his wakeup is not as horrible as people claim it was. Techroll into wakeup or delayed wakeup does actually work pretty well with ex scimitar. Besides he has a gread lowpoke with d3. Again in HQT-variation d3 on hit allows a 32-string which is the best way to start your offense.
i think he can punish, i just think he has a horrific wake up and reversal game, it is the same as quan chi, where if you get preds in the corner he is fucked, mid screen, he has more options but the options arent exactly great since there are ways to still fuck people up on delayed wake ups and tech rolls will only work so much since someone can run at you. in the hish qu ten variation (my personal favorite i love it) he can both zone and rush down, i like to zone most the game then rush in and do his 50/50s out of nowhere to throw them off, and also use EXScimitarStab as counter zoning and punish their attempt to zone me for around 36%, predator is a great character, just with a lot of weaknesses, in my opinion he is the glass cannon of the game along side summoner quan

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!

I think

njp, uppercut for 26%

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
I m probably thinking of using rcxxf12u2 to punish the -10 to 12f moves. Although the damage from that string really sucks, even if you use meter, even in hunter variation.
Yea, I find that Predator's meter is best saved for other things, especially in Hish-Qu-Ten in which the MB straight projectile rules all!

I guess, once you get the chance to land a big damage punish, then use MB BF4, but I know predator can win without landing huge combos.

Jay Rupp

Human Smoke or Riot
i actually dont think he needs nerfs and buffs, i think he is mid-high tier, he is a good character but sure as fuck isnt OP, i was just confused as fuck as to why people think he is OP, Predator is all either incredible or horrible, there is no "he does this okay" everything is either holy fuck that is amazing or holy shit that is bad
That's exactly how I see him.

Alvhe Feleo

Due tomorrow? Do tomorrow.
For me he's OK, neither good or bad, but the worst of all 3 DLC characters by far. Good mid-range power, bad close up, terrible at long range (unless using HQT) and overall too slow. That being said, I had expected 3 variations that were REAL.

- HQT isn't just good at zoning, it's awesome overall and helps poking at any range. I feel like cheating when I start a blockstring, cancel into close plasma and still get enough recovery time on block to keep pressure.
- Hunter is good at placing setups, even though he needs to hug the corner if he wants to shine. Also that useless heal makes me want to cry ^^. And by the way, I love EX traps, so lame and fun.
- Warrior was supposed to cover the close range department but to me it's worse than gunslinger. The leap has saved me a couple of times, mainly vs piercing mileena because you can punish her low sai across the screen, despite being a very situational event. Aside from that there's nothing good, worth noting BF1 even worse than Shinnok's amulet, SD having a horrible startup + fades on hit + hits mid + hit enemy for less than self unless using EX (spend a bar to deal the same damage to yourself and the enemy, are we insane?) only to juggle out of a grab. I wonder who's slower doing this crap, predator SD setups or Kotal's totem + sacrifice + parry combo...

I won't say he needs nerfs or buffs aside from reduced startup/recovery on hunter's heal and warrior's SD which are virtually unusable outside the lab, but I'd rather say he needs some variation-specific combos in warrior, like adding a couple of combistick combos so it doesn't feel like I'm playing variationless.

Then again, I'm not a super pro over 9000, that's just my opinion.

For the life of me I can't understand htf anyone can say he's op. Dude needs buffs before he needs nerfs. Slow strings with gaps, shitty wakeup game and gimped punishes. Preds game plan has more holes than a block of swiss cheese. Get serious salty kids.
bet you feel stupid now