What's new

Question - Predator Predator weaknesses: Punishing

jokey77

Character Loyalist
Disclaimer:
There has been sooo much whining recently (mostly because of Predator being overpowered). This thread is not meant to be a place for this kind of stuff. All I want is to discuss options. Nerf-/buff-request are totally out of place and not wanted to be seen in here.

@ Topic:
I have a really hard time punishing as Predator. Even after the most unsafe moves I can hardly make the opponent pay. That's because of his horribly slow mid-strings. Our unsafe 212 is not as reliable as a punishing move should be. The range for 32 is horrible. Everything above 10-12 frames is not a consistant punishing tool anyway, I'd say.

By now I even think that this might be his main weakness.

The only work-arounds I could think of:

- instant NJP (followed by something like f122~ex bf4, 4~bf4)
- d4, on hit followed-up with f212-mindgames (does not work on airbourne opponents though)

How do you guys punish consistantly? - Any ideas?

I f12 if I think its okay to do so. Otherwise I'll initiate some poking with d3 and figure something out after that. I play Hish-Qu-Ten, so I'll generally try for some plasma caster cancels to keep them guessing between a b31 or a 32 or a throw. If they've got meter I might just go for the throw or try crossing them up to initiate the mixups.

I agree its difficult to punish with him. I would be interested to see what others are doing.

Asodimazze

https://twitter.com/AlfioZacco
In theory f1 and 212 are decent punish, but....in reality....predator punish options sucks big time.

Even if you have normals with a decent startup (I believe f1 is 8 frames), because of the blockstun you will hardly be able to use it to punish even -10, -12 moves.

That's why characters who have a fast special move have extreme advantages over the others.

Immortal Kombat

almost moderate success
I really think predator is takeda 2.0. At least hish qu ten. It's like I'm looking at takeda forums from April all over again.
Sometimes you just gotta throw. It sucks but it's better than nothing

Reauxbot

You think you bad? You aint bad.
Ha, i knew i wasnt alone in this. Poor Cassie gets whacked by the damn b22. That or people arent blocking :/
I have a hard time punishing Kitana for some reason. That Ass Ram is weird for me lol.

jokey77

Character Loyalist
F12 has a horrible hitbox. Besides airborne opponents hardly get juggled by it.

F1~bf4 might be the bitter pill that we have to swallow...

Predators offense is great, once it starts rolling. Setting it up sucks though! You always have to win a pokewar first!

Noserfatu

My eyes! The goggles do nothing!
f12u2 b22 SS is 21% meterless, 8 frame starter
f12u2 b22 ex SS 4 SS is 29% for a bar

or just D4 ~ trap lol

It's ok that he has weaknesses, otherwise he would need nerfs.

Afumba

Noob
I dont think f12u2 is too bad for punishing... with rc you can get 21-23% meterless... not the world but its ok.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
For heavy punishes i usually use b22 (prime example is KL's ex spin). For slides, teleports etc etc, b311. I agree though, he lacks a good move to punish those stupid -10 to -12f moves with push back and block stun. Plus the hit box on f1 is really meh.

SidTheHaze

25th place Tempest Lao
i use 21 in footsies then if it hits i confirm it into the last 2.....its not super easy but you can actually hit confirm the 212 and just stop the string at 21 on block. for most punishes i just do 122 since its 9 frames and safe on block anyway.

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
Use F12U2, B22 BF4.

If you have meter, then F12 MBbf4, NJP, B22 Disc, RC Ender.

His 21 is his best mid punisher, but it will just take time. As predator players are too concerned with other things in his gameplay to have his specific punishes down across the board.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
Use F12U2, B22 BF4.

If you have meter, then F12 MBbf4, NJP, B22 Disc, RC Ender.

His 21 is his best mid punisher, but it will just take time. As predator players are too concerned with other things in his gameplay to have his specific punishes down across the board.
I m probably thinking of using rcxxf12u2 to punish the -10 to 12f moves. Although the damage from that string really sucks, even if you use meter, even in hunter variation.

DOOMSDAY-15RUS-

i'LL DESTROY YOU ALL
yep, day 1 i felt his slow start up's, and B2 has also slow start up from mid range and it's a high and it's very strange :(

MrProfDrPepper

NRS, Guilty Gear, and KI, the holy trinity
(mostly because of Predator being overpowered)
..................... Over powered? *facepalm* god damn it. I don't understand how people supposedly think he is over powered when predator has literally no reversals or wake ups... And if you say EXSimitarSlice, then I would like to inform you that that has 22 frame start up, that shit isn't for waking up, that is for counter zoning because of the distance it goes, as a wake up it is absolutely awful, literally every character in the game can blow up that wake up with Normals and it is insanely negative.

..................... Over powered? *facepalm* god damn it. I don't understand how people supposedly think he is over powered when predator has literally no reversals or wake ups... And if you say EXSimitarSlice, then I would like to inform you that that has 22 frame start up, that shit isn't for waking up, that is for counter zoning because of the distance it goes, as a wake up it is absolutely awful, literally every character in the game can blow up that wake up with Normals and it is insanely negative.
Unblockable traps in Hunter