What's new

Match-Up Discussion - Predator Predator hunter MU's

Ryncage

Noob
Didn't see any threads on the subject so just throwing one out there.
If someone wants to make a crisper version of this topic with lists in the origonal post and whatnot, feel free because i dont really have the time or knowledge for all that. Mkx being the first fighting game iv seriously gotton into, but enough of all that.

So, is it just me, or is the hunter varation a hard matchup against projectilespam?(personal experiance including a raiden, lui kang, and kung jin) With disc taking a good while to come out and vanishing on block, paired with the enemy being able to react to a jump-disc fullscreen, it just always seems to be a hell of a time for me, and i have no real answer besides crawl forward eating some chip, and maybe punish with armored b4 if spamming is all they really brought to the table.
The mu is prolly easier than im projecting since im just not that good, but would you say it is a harder match than if you went with hish variation? And how would you handle the situation as hunter?

Any and all input greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

MadeOfMetal

Kenshi Srubtastic,Cyrax, Special Forces Mains
try zoning with your Far DB4, then popping out BF2 if safe... then keep em back... when they decide to come in for punishment take it to them with 50/50 pressure into Snag setups... just keep the pressure on... and don't let them escape.. keep in mind your F212 and B22 have decent range to start setups from afar, make sure to end combos with stealth, not only for your comback with unseen 50/50's but reduced chip damage when they retaliate on you. and you can sit and block it all day.

zoners is definitely a bad MU for Hunter

Ray'sGoodLiquor

I don't care I'm not a competitive player anymore
I wouldnt end everything in stealth. I generally don't pop stealth or med kit unless i land an EX snare, and then its based on if im being offensive or defensive. I think you're more often than not ending combos in disk for continued pressure or snare for setups. Good zoners are a pain in the ass because disk goes away on block, and snare on hit. Trading is rarely in his favor unless you get really good with EX snare placement. EX BF4 can punish a lot of projectiles from jump range though. I'm almost upset they nerfed Tanya as bad as they did, because I'm pretty sure predator is her best counter pick. His ability to AA and punish back teleport lets him control the match pretty decidedly.

just_2swift

MK1 is the best MK period.
With Hunter I whiff an air normal then I cancel into DB4F gives you a little hang time works against incompetent Jackie players

Ray'sGoodLiquor

I don't care I'm not a competitive player anymore
With Hunter I whiff an air normal then I cancel into DB4F gives you a little hang time works against incompetent Jackie players
If you need hangtime, toss a trap mid air. It's one of your only options to trade, and not a great one at that.

Played a "decent" KJ (Ancestral) for the very first time while debuting my Hunter Variation online.. For the love of god I couldn't stay in after armoring through his arrows BF4 or throwing mines while in the air he would keep jumping back and shoot arrows.. felt like I was playing GA with all the chip I was taking along with the stun arrows smh.. However I defeated a much more skilled Ermac, Scorpion, and Quan Chi by setting traps close and running so they would catch the teleports or exBF4 into the trap behind me. Once ppl figure out the MU they will stay as far away from Predator as possible with pokes and zone to open up potential combos

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Just crawl forward and then armor through a projectile for that full combo when the opportunity comes. Even if you got hit by a few projectiles on the way in, you're still winning that damage trade. Once you've conditioned them not to throw projectiles you can start setting up your traps and disks and such to get your offense going.

Ryncage

Noob
10:0 vs. Sub Zero.

INVALIDATED.
Yeah i find pred hunter just craps all over every sub variation. Doesnt help their chances that i know the mu inside and out since he was my prior main.

Id say that the hunter variation has a hard enough time with zoning that it merits a swap to hish. I havent run into a matchup with the hish variation that can out-poke him. It seems like one of the fastest projectiles and the ability to mixup with them is stellar. (The hitbox on the low plasma is just nuts)
But i do see myself needing to hidden cursor online with pubs or they wait for my variation select and hard counterpick.

aieches

#freeHomelee2016
So I ran into this zoning prob using hunter vs someone playing his hqt version. Jesus Lord this was such a pain in the ass. What I had to start doing was blowing up my traps. Those things have a huge hit box range and once hit the float thstvit puts the opponent into gives you good time to throw disks, run in , etc. Same thing vs kitana.. I used the same method and started winning more rounds.

But this is kinda just two day tech , I'm trying to find out more

Radiodine

I spam so well, i get 50/51's
How does one... deal with jacqui spam effectively? Specifically the hand cannon at full screen? More often than not i manage to throw out the db4f trap however i end up being caught as the hover effect wears off after the initial trap throw causing me to trade off a bit of damage for nothing. Ex trap seems to work but im trying to find another option as well to close that gap. Been playing with F/T (viscious), Predator (Hunter), SZ (Grandmaster), and Reptile (Noxious). What exactly was the purpose of making the disc go away on block? One would think that it would make sense if it went away on hit only but... ya know, logic...

How does one... deal with jacqui spam effectively? Specifically the hand cannon at full screen? More often than not i manage to throw out the db4f trap however i end up being caught as the hover effect wears off after the initial trap throw causing me to trade off a bit of damage for nothing. Ex trap seems to work but im trying to find another option as well to close that gap. Been playing with F/T (viscious), Predator (Hunter), SZ (Grandmaster), and Reptile (Noxious). What exactly was the purpose of making the disc go away on block? One would think that it would make sense if it went away on hit only but... ya know, logic...
The best way to deal with her hand canon is to duck her projectiles and slowly make your way in B2-2 range. If Jacqui is clearly spamming, you can just jump and throw an EX Far Trap to full combo punish and put her into a setup. Disc can be usefull if you duck projectile and throw it right after but you need to duck her next projectile so the disc doesn't disappear before it hits her. Patience is the best way to deal with her :)

Radiodine

And once I bring the Jumpin Johnny Jacqui to the corner as she attempts to BJ herself against the wall, what would be an optimal BnB Meterless for the Corner: One meterless and one 1-bar. I tend to simply d3 until I can get my 50/50 mixup into 34 or b31xxScimitar(EX) Unless my opponent gets caught by trap.
So I guess then, what string combo can I use as an ender that causes my opponent to have a decent enough HK to where I can throw down a db4b or do I have to sacrifice my 34 1+3 or 122xxSS for the setup?

And once I bring the Jumpin Johnny Jacqui to the corner as she attempts to BJ herself against the wall, what would be an optimal BnB Meterless for the Corner: One meterless and one 1-bar. I tend to simply d3 until I can get my 50/50 mixup into 34 or b31xxScimitar(EX) Unless my opponent gets caught by trap.
So I guess then, what string combo can I use as an ender that causes my opponent to have a decent enough HK to where I can throw down a db4b or do I have to sacrifice my 34 1+3 or 122xxSS for the setup?
I'm not sure I fully understand everything you're asking but I'll do my best to give you an answer. First of all, if you want to end a combo into a setup, which you probably should if you're not going to kill your opponent with the combo, you should always end your combo with 3,2xxClose trap/Disc or 4xxClose trap/Disc. If you want a HKD you can end your combos with a NJK while you are on your way down and then do Close trap/Disc.

Optimal meterless BNB in the corner could be :
  • 2,1,2 - NJP - BJ3xxDisc - 4xxClose Trap
  • 2,1,2 - NJP - JI1 - NJK
Optimal 1 bar in the corner could be :
  • 2,1,2 - JI3xxEX Disc - Close Trap - 4xxHeal/Invisibility(while the opponent gets trapped) - Disc - D2 - NJP - 3,2xxClose Trap
  • (starter)xxEX SS - BJ3xxDisc - NJP - 3,2xxClose trap
  • (starter)xxEX SS - JI1 - NJK
It might sometimes be a good idea to spend a second bar of meter to get ever more damage in the corner. Hope it helps!

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
well i already use a good zoner, so i want more of a space control type of character, and it seems like hunter is really good at that, as well as having pretty

also how come i never see people end combos in f4? its a hard knockdown and gives a trap.

Radiodine

It pushes the opponent away midscreen and in the corner doesn't cancel directly into trap which can leave you vulnerable for armored wakeup or letting your opponent jump out of the corner.
I prefer to end my strings in 32xxClosetrap and 32 if the opponent crouch blocks, attempts to armor, or tries to jump as the 2 tends to hit regardless if timed properly. if not In corner the opponent can tech roll.