What's new

General/Other - Hunter Predator Hunter Discussion Thread

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Broken as fucking hell. If you've seen Sonic Fox play him you'd agree. Online losing to just trap spam? Fucking ridiculous. Most salt inducing cunt I've ever faced in my life. Broken setups. Ice clone x5000. Done bitching now.
Okay is there a specific setup that you are having difficulty getting out of? Maybe we can help you figure out your options

Etoroguy

Why isn't Jax's Farm a playable stage?
Yeah there is a secret trap brutality, it is similar to the other one but when predator eats the person. They are a skeleton instead of the normal skinned one.

ando1184

Noob
So how do you guys deal with rushdown and zoning characters (Sonya and mournful kitana)? I can't seem to get much going or open these two Charlie's angels up?

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
So how do you guys deal with rushdown and zoning characters (Sonya and mournful kitana)? I can't seem to get much going or open these two Charlie's angels up?
Zoners I just switch to HQT since my opponent can choose to stay away and thus making the traps somewhat irrelevant.

As for rushdown, you're just going to have to hold that and look for a counterpoke. Predator's major weakness . . .

Soooo.... anybody play any hunter lately?
Played him for a bit the other day. Dropped all my shit so it must have been a while. Still was fun. Nice pokes and the space control is great.

Hunter variation :

(Corner) B311, EX Scimitar, NJP, Back Jump 2, Air Smart Disc, 122 and then you can cancel the 2 with a disk or with a trap. (37%, 1 Bar)

You can also change 112 for something else like 32, 1+3 or something cancelled by Scimitar for 40% +/- but you'll lose the okizeme (32,1+3 is something like adv+9 on hit, not enough for setting up a trap)
@derOeler

Yak

Noob
Anyone experiment with trap detonation pressure in the corner?
A little bit. I know most of the time if you accidentally throw it behind them and hit confirm any string you can detonate it into a launcher for full combo other than that I really haven't messed with the detonation with it.

A little bit. I know most of the time if you accidentally throw it behind them and hit confirm any string you can detonate it into a launcher for full combo other than that I really haven't messed with the detonation with it.
Or you can purposely throw it behind them to set up a frame trap after a blocked combo for a launch if they use any unarmored move. If they block it you're left with plus 8.

I figured out the potential of trap detonation in the corner it's very good but think ex detonation should have armor in exchange for less plus frames. (From +23 down to +8 like normal detonation)

Yak

Noob
Or you can purposely throw it behind them to set up a frame trap after a blocked combo for a launch if they use any unarmored move. If they block it you're left with plus 8.
I don't really main predator really just have messed around with him a little here and there so I didn't even know it was +8 tbh. Good to know, I have been thinking of picking him up lately

He really shines in the corner with the trap setups. You can throw it under them after a jumping 4 and go for the hard to blockables or throw behind them and go for 32 trap detonation on block or 32 1+2 on hit for roughly 50% one bar. You can also b322 trap detonation for the plus frames or the combo of they try to poke or do any unarmored reversal. The corner is just a bunch of mind games after you get them to respect trap detonation.

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
I find the trap behind them in the corner to be really inconsistent.. Your distance has to be perfect.

Yak

Noob
I find the trap behind them in the corner to be really inconsistent.. Your distance has to be perfect.
Yeah, some maps stop the trap from being overthrown so the detonate hits them still. Then some maps it can be thrown too far becoming useless.

TemperingMoon

I Am The White Wolf
Just a question......Do we know of any top players still using the Hunter variation in tournaments? Thanks in advance to anyone and all that answer. :)

Etoroguy

I was thinking of using him but dropped him after the big Nerf. I was thinking of picking him back up. Any tips/advice. Have his BNBs changed here's what I used.
32~db4(ex)b, bf2, f4, b311~bf4
bf4(ex), ji3~bf2, 4~bf4
Not max damage but worked consistently for me. Thanks in advance

I was thinking of using him but dropped him after the big Nerf. I was thinking of picking him back up. Any tips/advice. Have his BNBs changed here's what I used.
32~db4(ex)b, bf2, f4, b311~bf4
bf4(ex), ji3~bf2, 4~bf4
Not max damage but worked consistently for me. Thanks in advance
Personally I don't think he's worth using if you're planding on playing semi competitively. But he is very fun to play against people with slow/no armor. The way I played him revolved around getting people to the corner which meant sacrificing damage to get his pseudo unblockables going and his trap detonation pressure. (+8 normal +22 ex I believe) as for BnBs I can't really think of any at the moment but I always tried to end with just one air normal (NJK) to be able to setup the trap either right under them or behind them. Behind them you'd be able to do 321+3 string leading to 52% one bar damage or timing b322 meaty trap detonation.

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
I think I found some broken tech with this variation. I'm gonna post a thread tomorrow because my internet is being dumb. Lets just say I found a way for pre-patch damage scaling and inescape setups.

Etoroguy

I think I found some broken tech with this variation. I'm gonna post a thread tomorrow because my internet is being dumb. Lets just say I found a way for pre-patch damage scaling and inescape setups.
Let me know when you're going to post it.

i find myself always out of stamina and i feel like hunter needs to use a lot of stamina by running up grab/trap mixups and running during combos, this is kind of a weakness