What's new

General/Other - Hunter Predator Hunter Discussion Thread

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
As far as meter building goes, I just try and use trap, detonate, and smart disc to try make them block. You definitely have to be creative with it haha because his meter build is pretty mediocre. But his mb moves are pretty damn good so if you make every bar count you should be alright.

how do I utilize trap and ex trap in combos?

This combo is from the first page of the combo thread, and for wahtever reason I can never get the ex trap to snag my opponent?

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
how do I utilize trap and ex trap in combos?

This combo is from the first page of the combo thread, and for wahtever reason I can never get the ex trap to snag my opponent?

You need to use ex smart disc for trap combos. Example:

b22xx ex scimitar slam, f1xx ex smart disc, close trap, run cancel, b2xx back scimitar stab, smart disc, s4, scimitar stab.

You need to use ex smart disc for trap combos. Example:

b22xx ex scimitar slam, f1xx ex smart disc, close trap, run cancel, b2xx back scimitar stab, smart disc, s4, scimitar stab.
this is taken from the main combo thread

B311 > EX-SS > NjP > B22 > Disc > rc > 4 > EX-Snag > rc > disc (behind them) > uppercut (45%)

It does not have ex smart disc... but i can't get it to work.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
this is taken from the main combo thread

B311 > EX-SS > NjP > B22 > Disc > rc > 4 > EX-Snag > rc > disc (behind them) > uppercut (45%)

It does not have ex smart disc... but i can't get it to work.
I thought you meant regular snag traps. Using 2 bars to do 45% is not worth it, since with 1 bar you can do up to 42% and with 2 bars you can do up to 55%.

i dont understand why I"M dropping the combo that is listed in the regular thread... am I timing it incorrectly or does that combo not work on PC?

Well, I'm realistically just looking for bnbs. i know i can use whatever starter, i just don't know what the best follow ups after my 3,2 or b3,11 is...

no meter
corner
midscreen

1 bar
corner
midscreen

2 bar
corner
midscreen

I thought you meant regular snag traps. Using 2 bars to do 45% is not worth it, since with 1 bar you can do up to 42% and with 2 bars you can do up to 55%.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
i dont understand why I"M dropping the combo that is listed in the regular thread... am I timing it incorrectly or does that combo not work on PC?

Well, I'm realistically just looking for bnbs. i know i can use whatever starter, i just don't know what the best follow ups after my 3,2 or b3,11 is...

no meter
corner
midscreen

1 bar
corner
midscreen

2 bar
corner
midscreen
No meter midscreen:

212, jk, sd, rc, s4 (or 32), ss. It deals 29 or 30% dmg IIRC.

No meter corner:

212, njp, jk, 212, 321+3. It deals above 30% IIRC.

1 bar midscreen:

b311 or b22, ex ss, njp, jk, sd, rc, s4 or 32, ss. It deals around 42% dmg.

1 bar corner:

212, jump back 3, ex sd, trap, 321+3, (opponent will fall to trap), stealth, sd, uppercut, 321+3. It deals 47% dmg. I usually go for the trap setup, but if you wanna go for damage this combo is practical, flashy and easy to do so. Only tricky part to do, is the cancel from the jump back 3 to ex sd.

2 bar midscreen:

b311 or b22, ex ss, f1, ex sd, close trap, rc, b2, back ss, sd, s4, ss. It deals 55% dmg IIRC.

2 bar corner:

b311 or b22, ex ss, njp, jk, ex sd, close trap, 32, detonate, stealth, sd, uppercut, 321+3. It deals 52% dmg.

There are much higher combos with Hunter Predator but these are the ones i m currently using during matches.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
No meter midscreen:

No meter corner:

1 bar midscreen:

1 bar corner:

212, jump back 3, ex sd, trap, 321+3, (opponent will fall to trap), stealth, sd, uppercut, 321+3. It deals 47% dmg. I usually go for the trap setup, but if you wanna go for damage this combo is practical, flashy and easy to do so. Only tricky part to do, is the cancel from the jump back 3 to ex sd.

2 bar midscreen:

b311 or b22, ex ss, f1, ex sd, close trap, rc, b2, back ss, sd, s4, ss. It deals 55% dmg IIRC.

2 bar corner:

b311 or b22, ex ss, njp, jk, ex sd, close trap, 32, detonate, stealth, sd, uppercut, 321+3. It deals 52% dmg.

There are much higher combos with Hunter Predator but these are the ones i m currently using during matches.
Yeah these are good for practical options. I use these with minor variations but it all looks like the same damage. What do you end with when you want to set up a trap or smart disc midscreen? I saw Sonic Fox using 32, I was experimenting with fwd4, idk.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
Yeah these are good for practical options. I use these with minor variations but it all looks like the same damage. What do you end with when you want to set up a trap or smart disc midscreen? I saw Sonic Fox using 32, I was experimenting with fwd4, idk.
32 to trap or sd, since day 1. f4 is also good, but i prefer 32.

Deadly Torcher

King Dingaling
No meter midscreen:

No meter corner:

1 bar midscreen:

1 bar corner:

2 bar midscreen:

2 bar corner:

What is back ss? I understand the rest, great combos.

Here's a video I made showing some optimized corner combos into trap setup as well as optimized combos with a trapped opponent in the corner. Credit to @14K and @DoctrineDark for the main ideas of the combos.

Inputs :
  • (starter) > EX-SS > JiK > EX-Air Disc > Close Trap > 4 > (heal/invis) > Disc > d2 > NjP > 4 > Close Trap
  • (trapped opponent) > Disc > d2 > NjP > JiK > 122 > Close trap
  • (trapped opponent) > Disc > d2 > NjP > 4 > EX-SS > 32 1+3

PANDEMlC

El Psy Congroo
Is there a reason trap stays out even after getting hit sometimes? Like I can throw a trap be hit a by a projectile or whatever and the trap will still be active. I've had people hit me and then a few seconds later they'll run into the trap I thought was dead. I'm curious if it's known, or maybe it's a PC only bug or maybe there's an actual reason why it stays out sometimes. Anyone had this happen or have any idea?

EDIT: Was watching Sonic Fox's stream and he said if you get hit before it comes out it'll still go off and not disappear. Which means if you get hit as it's traveling and not after it's been set.

Last edited:

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Quick questions.

What are Predator's hard knockdowns?

What are Predator's most effective strings?

Is Predator free on WU?

What are Hunter and HQT's best AA's for Ji's and crossups?

How good is Predator's backdash in matches?

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
Quick questions.

Is Predator free on WU?

I'll take a crack at your questions. (Hopefully I don't mislead you by "accident")

Hard knockdown: b22d2, 321+4, b12 and bf4.

As for strings, ill just tell you the ones I like to mash: 122, b22, 32 and f12u2. I also like f21 but I need to flesh out how im using that more. You can ofcourse use HQT's low plasma shot for mixups and plasma cancels for saftey. Hunter's ex trap can also lead to shenanigans.

Super free on wakeup. You can armor through some slow things but I figure good players will either do something too fast or just wait and react to what you do.

What's an AA?

I tried using it to escape pressure but plenty of strings catch it. But you can def sneak in backdashes for spacing purposes. Also Pred's forward dash is freaky far. Covers close to 2 backdashes.

Jk I know what AAs air. NJP, ok d2, HQT has up laser. I actually don't know what to do for crossups cause I'm a laggy online warrior but try s1, f1 and d2.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
I'll take a crack at your questions. (Hopefully I don't mislead you by "accident")

Hard knockdown: b22d2, 321+4, b12 and bf4.

As for strings, ill just tell you the ones I like to mash: 122, b22, 32 and f12u2. I also like f21 but I need to flesh out how im using that more. You can ofcourse use HQT's low plasma shot for mixups and plasma cancels for saftey. Hunter's ex trap can also lead to shenanigans.

Super free on wakeup. You can armor through some slow things but I figure good players will either do something too fast or just wait and react to what you do.

What's an AA?

I tried using it to escape pressure but plenty of strings catch it. But you can def sneak in backdashes for spacing purposes. Also Pred's forward dash is freaky far. Covers close to 2 backdashes.

Jk I know what AAs air. NJP, ok d2, HQT has up laser. I actually don't know what to do for crossups cause I'm a laggy online warrior but try s1, f1 and d2.
Thanks man. Yea I'm getting the hang of a few things. I played too many hours than I'm willing to admit this weekend lol. I started at Hunter but I think I'm going HQT. Those meterless safe on block gun cancels are too good to pass up.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
Thanks man. Yea I'm getting the hang of a few things. I played too many hours than I'm willing to admit this weekend lol. I started at Hunter but I think I'm going HQT. Those meterless safe on block gun cancels are too good to pass up.
I need to practice the cancels but I've been having great success without them. Tells you something when you don't need all of a characters tools to be good. Haha.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
I need to practice the cancels but I've been having great success without them. Tells you something when you don't need all of a characters tools to be good. Haha.
Haha yea it's the opposite for me. I've been doing ok for a few days old Predator, living off of meterless cancel combos and +frame block advantage lol. When we put it all together it's gonna get ugly for the competition.

*Unless he gets nerf hammer'd in the next patch :oops:

Hello guys, i main hish qu ten, but i want to learn hunter aswell, it looks amazing, when i am playing hiah qu ten i am focusing on both pressure and zoning ,i like to pressure with f12 pcc b311 pcc 32pcc etc..but i dont have idea how to play hunter, can someone tell me some main things, i watched sonicfox i was impressed, but would like someone to tell me.what to do because with hish qu ten i can cancel.d4 into low plasma and every other string to make it safe

SquirtMcGirt

Purple balls covering the screen
Quick questions.

Is Predator free on WU?

I have been using standing 4 as my go to aa with predator. You can get 37% with 4~exss njp b22~ss at least I think it's 37% lol and for cross over same thing but d1.

xXstealthflameXx

Finding a Main
Broken as fucking hell. If you've seen Sonic Fox play him you'd agree. Online losing to just trap spam? Fucking ridiculous. Most salt inducing cunt I've ever faced in my life. Broken setups. Ice clone x5000. Done bitching now.