What's new

General/Other - Hunter Predator Hunter Discussion Thread

I haven't had a chance to play him yet , but I was wondering what, if any, strings cause a hard knockdown? Thinking those throw trap extensions could be part of his mixups after HKD traptoss.

KoldSpecter

Violence begets violence
I haven't had a chance to play him yet , but I was wondering what, if any, strings cause a hard knockdown? Thinking those throw trap extensions could be part of his mixups after HKD traptoss.
You can do trap setups with 122 and 212 strings.
122 especially good in the corner

PANDEMlC

El Psy Congroo
So we have 112, 212 and f212 as enders to set up traps? Pretty solid options, guess 212 is best since it doesn't require stamina to follow up off blades and has the most hit advantage. Negative is it doesn't special cancel but doesn't matter much since it has like 20 frames more of hit advantage and sends them so high in the air.

What do you guys think about using ex traps to extend block pressure? Off b22 for example it works and is +17 so you could get out some more pressure afterwards. Obviously you can armor through the trap itself but it's very hard to react to if exed so I think it can work. And since so many of your strings can be canceled into it why not factor it in right?

KoldSpecter

Violence begets violence
So we have 112, 212 and f212 as enders to set up traps? Pretty solid options, guess 212 is best since it doesn't require stamina to follow up off blades and has the most hit advantage. Negative is it doesn't special cancel but doesn't matter much since it has like 20 frames more of hit advantage and sends them so high in the air.

What do you guys think about using ex traps to extend block pressure? Off b22 for example it works and is +17 so you could get out some more pressure afterwards. Obviously you can armor through the trap itself but it's very hard to react to if exed so I think it can work. And since so many of your strings can be canceled into it why not factor it in right?
I dunno, think it's useful only when you will gurantee kill opponent with this block string. Predator gains meter kinda slow (in my opinion) so there's more ways to use meter wizely (as a combo links for expample) rather than blockstrings.
I've been experimenting with ending blockstring with ex trap and doing njp, works pretty good, like Quan Chi unblockable overhead-low setup

PANDEMlC

El Psy Congroo
I dunno, think it's useful only when you will gurantee kill opponent with this block string. Predator gains meter kinda slow (in my opinion) so there's more ways to use meter wizely (as a combo links for expample) rather than blockstrings.
I've been experimenting with ending blockstring with ex trap and doing njp, works pretty good, like Quan Chi unblockable overhead-low setup
Yeah I wasn't sure on how good his meter building was, just messing around in training mode.

And with your ex trap into njp are you doing that on block or hit? Reason I'm asking cause I'm curious if it gives you enough time to dash/run up and njp without there being a giant gap. Or if you're ending with 212 or something into ex instead of the normal one.

Also, d4 for example can be canceled into ex trap so you could start some pretty dirty stuff with that on hit and some gimmicky shit with it on block. Hell even normal trap on hit would probably work. And with b22 it guarantees a string due to how close it leaves you, so I think it's pretty viable.

KoldSpecter

Violence begets violence
Yeah I wasn't sure on how good his meter building was, just messing around in training mode.

And with your ex trap into njp are you doing that on block or hit? Reason I'm asking cause I'm curious if it gives you enough time to dash/run up and njp without there being a giant gap. Or if you're ending with 212 or something into ex instead of the normal one.

Also, d4 for example can be canceled into ex trap so you could start some pretty dirty stuff with that on hit and some gimmicky shit with it on block. Hell even normal trap on hit would probably work. And with b22 it guarantees a string due to how close it leaves you, so I think it's pretty viable.
On hit. Been messing around vs Mileena in Trainging Mode, so after knockdown and ex-trap she wakes up with ex-roll and what happens: trap eats armor, and you njp her in a free combo. Not sure it's gonna work on bock, maybe with safe strings (like b22), will check this tomorrow

PANDEMlC

El Psy Congroo
On hit. Been messing around vs Mileena in Trainging Mode, so after knockdown and ex-trap she wakes up with ex-roll and what happens: trap eats armor, and you njp her in a free combo. Not sure it's gonna work on bock, maybe with safe strings (like b22), will check this tomorrow
That's an interesting way of using it, makes sense too. You can even just do your low string or whatever too. Does she not roll under your njp? I'm getting that with subzeros slide. Armors through trap, njp whiffs and he goes sliding across the screen. I do like this though, prevents armored wakeups.

Also something funny I noticed 212 combos into ex trap, I was doing your setup and was like, do I need to set him to block? Then I see the combo number is still going.

EDIT:

So yeah after blocked b22 ex trap you get a guaranteed string which is f12 which can be canceled into bf4 for a full combo or you can extend it further into a safe ender or a gimmicky overhead with a huge gap. It was his fastest string that I could get to work without getting beat by armor slide. So obviously if they're lacking meter or aren't all that good you could get away with much more since you're so + on block. d4 ex trap d4 trap for gimmicky frame trap setups for example. Same with b22. Blocked ex trap into run grab, run low, blah blah. All depends on where your string/normal leaves you when you use it as to how far you can abuse this.

I tried seeing if you could option select his d4 to only cancel into trap on hit but I don't think it works, I don't know of any d4 option selects anyways but I figured I'd try. Because on hit the d4 xx traps are safe. I'll fuck with this more later, I think it's good and I know for sure I'l get away with it online. Game crashes on PC every 20 mins with new patch so it's kind of a pain to keep getting back on.

Last edited:

KoldSpecter

Violence begets violence
That's an interesting way of using it, makes sense too. You can even just do your low string or whatever too. Does she not roll under your njp? I'm getting that with subzeros slide. Armors through trap, njp whiffs and he goes sliding across the screen. I do like this though, prevents armored wakeups.

Also something funny I noticed 212 combos into ex trap, I was doing your setup and was like, do I need to set him to block? Then I see the combo number is still going.

EDIT:

So yeah after blocked b22 ex trap you get a guaranteed string which is f12 which can be canceled into bf4 for a full combo or you can extend it further into a safe ender or a gimmicky overhead with a huge gap. It was his fastest string that I could get to work without getting beat by armor slide. So obviously if they're lacking meter or aren't all that good you could get away with much more since you're so + on block. d4 ex trap drap d4 trap for gimmicky frame trap setups for example. Same with b22. Blocked ex trap into run grab, run low, blah blah. All depends on where your string/normal leaves you when you use it as to how far you can abuse this.

I tried seeing if you could option select his d4 to only cancel into trap on hit but I don't think it works, I don't know of any d4 option selects anyways but I figured I'd try. Because on hit the d4 xx traps are safe. I'll fuck with this more later, I think it's good and I know for sure I'l get away with it online. Game crashes on PC every 20 mins with new patch so it's kind of a pain to keep getting back on.
It's cool, gonna keep digging)
Also, in oline matches today i've noticed, that b22 saves you almost from every teleport(Scorpion's ex teleport got me couple times, but inconsistent) and recovers so fast and leaves that far, so it's really hard to punish you for whiff
If you know NJP will whiff on wake up attack (slide for example), u can try NJK, so he will waste a bar and will receive a hard knockdown into regular trap, not bad, huh?
About 212 into trap - if u do ex one, it counts in one combo, if u do regular - it's a setup, if I remember correctly

Last edited:

Lo0py

Noob
Ex trap seems like a ridicolous move....
Low, combo starter, +13 on block, stays on screen 10 seconds. Hunter predator is a super character, no doubt
Mhm, fuck NRS.. he doesnt only have that, he has a FULLSCREEN armor move into full combo, can throw air traps aswell, he can heal, he has a invisibility move x10 better than reptiles..
EDIT oh and that saw thing, can also do it in air.

Last edited: