What's new

General/Other - Hunter Predator Hunter Discussion Thread

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
Has anyone been able to find a combo where the regular trap activates? I got it once off a neutral jump punch and MB smart discs but seems super inconsistent.

Noob
ok so if this character did get nerfed what do yall think will be nerfed ? just asking I plan on sticking with this character just want to know what other players think.
His overall pretty well built, but i think they will nerf Ex SS, the scaling on that move is not correct in my opinion. and maybe just maybe, they wont touch Trap mines but if they do they will lower hits hurtbox seeker on normal Trap mine

Has anyone been able to find a combo where the regular trap activates? I got it once off a neutral jump punch and MB smart discs but seems super inconsistent.
Check out my previous vids Dark, the last 2 3 pages on here have been all about those combos from me and a couple great guys here, check the out.

Ralenzo

Noob
Is there a way to avoid the corner trap throw setups?
If I block I get thrown and the trap activates, but If I don't block I get hit by the trap...
Other than armored reversals, what's someone supposed to do in that situation?

Noob
Is there a way to avoid the corner trap throw setups?
If I block I get thrown and the trap activates, but If I don't block I get hit by the trap...
Other than armored reversals, what's someone supposed to do in that situation?
A well placed set up its a mix up all the time, i could explain it, but its easier for you to just check Tom Brady´s Vid on the corner trap setup he did a fantastic job explaining all options from both points of view.

Ralenzo

Noob
^
Can u send link?

nvm, found the video u were talking about on youtube.
What I learned;
- Never delay wake up.
- If I predict a throw I should jump.
So basically it's a 50/50 between throw or attack, and even If I predict an attack it's another 50/50 between OH and low.

Man, I need to make sure to maintain 1 bar and pick a stage with a good corner interactable.

Last edited:

kivatt

Kono Dio Da
^
Can u send link?

What I learned;
- Never delay wake up.
So basically it's a 50/50 between throw or attack, and even If I predict an attack it's another 50/50 between OH and low.

Man, I need to make sure to maintain 1 bar and pick a stage with a good corner interactable.
If they really set you to nice, they can land it off a jump on or neutral jump, so it'll stuff you wake up, and you have to guess which one started first if they timed it right.

You can always delay wake up. On your wake up

Noob
^
Can u send link?

What I learned;
- Never delay wake up.

Here you go Ralenzo. props to Tom for the tech and vid.

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
His overall pretty well built, but i think they will nerf Ex SS, the scaling on that move is not correct in my opinion. and maybe just maybe, they wont touch Trap mines but if they do they will lower hits hurtbox seeker on normal Trap mine

Check out my previous vids Dark, the last 2 3 pages on here have been all about those combos from me and a couple great guys here, check the out.
Found them, nice work! So have you veen exploring the trap detonation in combos?

Ralenzo

Noob
If they really set you to nice, they can land it off a jump on or neutral jump, so it'll stuff you wake up, and you have to guess which one started first if they timed it right.

You can always delay wake up. On your wake up
I can't delay wake up because then I can't jump anymore to escape the throw because the trap will hit me.
It's either block correctly or jump to escape the throw.

Noob
Found them, nice work! So have you veen exploring the trap detonation in combos?
I got one for mid screen but im still debating if its worth it... pretty execution heavy online and even offline is a bit wonky, so im still trying to make it easier before i post any vid on it...

EDIT:

Ok what the heck ill upload this one as well... its kinda tough online, i did manage to do it a couple of times on a really good connection, but i high doubt you can do it if the loss of frame is to big...

Notations: s4xxEX SS, f1xxEx Disks, Close Mine trap, bSS, techroll, fdash, Disk, s4xx SS

There is a 58% version of this combo, but its hell on earth for those that dont have high execution.... and online its "complitly impossivel" to perform. But in case someone actually does it, you are a god of execution... Anything you guys dont understand about the combo let me know ill help out

Last edited:

kivatt

Kono Dio Da
I can't delay wake up because then I can't jump anymore to escape the throw because the trap will hit me.
It's either block correctly or jump to escape the throw.
In the corner you would have to block correctly because you can jump or tech roll out of it.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
60% combos?.. Congrats you guys brought back cyrax!! Also quick question. im on vacation and Haven't played him yet.

Does he have a hard knockdown string that you can cancel out of?

And can he throw a far trap from the Air and does it go away when he is hit? Thanks for the help

Noob
60% combos?.. Congrats you guys brought back cyrax!! Also quick question. im on vacation and Haven't played him yet.

Does he have a hard knockdown string that you can cancel out of?

And can he throw a far trap from the Air and does it go away when he is hit? Thanks for the help
Yes he does 122xxtrap, and there are other ways to set up traps, thers already vids on this thread explaining and showing how to work the traps

easy no bar set up for far trap: J2,212, jf3xxdisk, land, toss far trap. He can throw traps from the air and from JPxxtrap. They stay on block go away on hit.

Im not home so im not 100% sure on the notations, but im pretty sure thats the ones im looking for...

Is there any way that Predator can safely cancel into a trap? I don't think you can.
standing 4 and back 2 are safe. Standing 4 is guaranteed safe against everyone but B2 is punished by Reptile's EX Slide, Lao's EX Spin in all variations, going to assume other 6 to 7f reversals w/ armor.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
In the corner, to deal with really annoying wake ups, I have been ending my combos with jump back normal cancelled into air close trap. Then I come in with a string and combined with the trap it beats the armored wake up. You give up some of your pressure options since you can't throw into the trap but it beats wake ups that you can't just block and punish (read kung jin's ex bo spin) and I believe you can use 32 to make it very hard to block. You obviously still have to deal with the option to delayed wake up and I haven't tested how much their tech roll messes with how easy it is to block the setup.

MadeOfMetal

Kenshi Srubtastic,Cyrax, Special Forces Mains
yeah the problem i came acorssed was Goro 3 hit armor, and multi hit Armored WU's when using 32 string combined with Sang or trap.... they just go through... Kung Lao is beast

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
yeah the problem i came acorssed was Goro 3 hit armor, and multi hit Armored WU's when using 32 string combined with Sang or trap.... they just go through... Kung Lao is beast
Yeah I don't have any ideas for goro yet. We are going to have to get real clever. Of course lucky our chances of actually having to fight goro are pretty rare in tournament, but we should still figure it out haha

Noob
Yeah I don't have any ideas for goro yet. We are going to have to get real clever. Of course lucky our chances of actually having to fight goro are pretty rare in tournament, but we should still figure it out haha
You guys are aware that you dont have to set up everyone everytime, Predator Hunter has plenty of good MU tools you can use... bit of advise, master the characters footsies and MUS before even trying to apply set up traps or semi unblokable set ups, cause those are always crutches, and high lvl players will most likely not allow you to put them in those situations...

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
You guys are aware that you dont have to set up everyone everytime, Predator Hunter has plenty of good MU tools you can use... bit of advise, master the characters footsies and MUS before even trying to apply set up traps or semi unblokable set ups, cause those are always crutches, and high lvl players will most likely not allow you to put them in those situations...
I see what you're saying, but I'm inclined to disagree. Hunter predator's traps and his neutral are intertwined, they aren't just two things in a vacuum. His traps are your opponent's reason to show respect. A good player is going to be wary of throwing that projectile if they know that predator can armor through it and destroy their healthbar in the corner. If they don't have that fear, throwing that projectile is a lot less scary. It's like a sonya player who doesn't use her mixups. Normally you want to keep her out because you know those mixups can put you in a bad situation. However, if they aren't using them, you almost want her to come in because there isn't a threat. The point is, without using what makes hunter good, you won't get an accurate handle on how his neutral works because you won't get the respect that his dirt commands. I agree with you that we can't just focus on traps and set ups and have to figure out his neutral as well, but it's more that we have have to work on all aspects of his game.

MadeOfMetal

Kenshi Srubtastic,Cyrax, Special Forces Mains
I see what you're saying, but I'm inclined to disagree. Hunter predator's traps and his neutral are intertwined, they aren't just two things in a vacuum. His traps are your opponent's reason to show respect. A good player is going to be wary of throwing that projectile if they know that predator can armor through it and destroy their healthbar in the corner. If they don't have that fear, throwing that projectile is a lot less scary. It's like a sonya player who doesn't use her mixups. Normally you want to keep her out because you know those mixups can put you in a bad situation. However, if they aren't using them, you almost want her to come in because there isn't a threat. The point is, without using what makes hunter good, you won't get an accurate handle on how his neutral works because you won't get the respect that his dirt commands. I agree with you that we can't just focus on traps and set ups and have to figure out his neutral as well, but it's more that we have have to work on all aspects of his game.
took the words out of my mouth.. nice post