What's new

General/Other - Hish-Qu-Ten Predator Hish-Qu-Ten Discussion Thread

Recently I played with a really good predator and got bodied 17-1. I find that hqt thrives in the corner with all his cancels and stuff. How can I deal with the 32 and 3-Low plasma shot mixups? Also which cancels can I actually armour out of? Thanks

Also just to add on, his b2 and d4 are amazing footsie tools. I really struggle to control space with ninjutsu scorpion against hqt.

freerf245

11 11 11 11
Also just to add on, his b2 and d4 are amazing footsie tools. I really struggle to control space with ninjutsu scorpion against hqt.
You can armor out of all of theme except for s4 into most normals. Most of his cancels are between +2-+5 I believe so you can poke out of most of them unless he pokes you first, considering he doesn't have any good mids.

He isn't nearly as + on his cancels as people imagine. Not sure if you can poke out of canceled 32, though. Seems to be left with more + frames than the rest, except for 4, obviously.

GOOD DRAGON

Awesometacular
You can armor out of all of theme except for s4 into most normals. Most of his cancels are between +2-+5 I believe so you can poke out of most of them unless he pokes you first, considering he doesn't have any good mids.
Erm i think you will find you are wrong actually. You cannot poke him out of most of them as long as you cancel into 2 which is a (13f mid). It is a bit more strict to get but his cancels are more like +2 to +8. 32 is plus 8 for sure. I find a lot of people try and poke between my cancels and just give me a free combo every-time its great. 32, B31 (hard), 12, F12, are all unpoke-able but all armour-able. I think the only 1 that can be poked is 21 and b311 cancels but if you poke them instead like you said then you beat their poke. On a read of-course ;)

Osagri

Fear the blade of Osh-Tekk
OS armor is inputing a special move to punish gaps in block strings. So whenever you think takeda is going to cancel a block string into low kunai, mash scimitar slam you should be able to just blow through the kunai. This takes some practice to get used too though. I would recommend recording yourself in training with takeda do a few block strings ending with low kunai, switch back to preds and practice putting in scimitar slam right when he throws the kunai. If you do it right you will blow through the kunai. once you get comfy doing this you will be able to neutralize some of his offense. Be careful though if the takeda player is any good he will start baiting your armored move by not canceling into low kunai in spots during his pressure he normally would so he can block and punish scimitar slam. The idea here is to get him to think twice before constantly ending block strings with low kunai.
That rly isn't armor OS coz IF Takeda doesn't do kunai u get full punished. Example: Commando Kano does b1 which is -8 on block. If he staggers it or cancels it u will punish it with armored move which is i8 or faster. And if he does b13 u will block it. That's OS armor. It's not so good anymore coz of lack of 1bar armored launchers

Last edited:

YoloRoll1stHit

Publicly Educated
I don't know why Destroyer doesn't abuse his F12U2 string more. Everytime he lands 32, he goes for PCC into F12 stab MB midscreen, which does pretty bad damage for 1 bar. 32 PCC F12U2 combo does 4% less damage but it saves a bar for better use, especially in round 2. Also, I think HQT players should consider his xray as a viable armor options. I watch many of your videos and found many situations when xray could have easily won you those matches

Parasurama

Dragon
I don't know why Destroyer doesn't abuse his F12U2 string more. Everytime he lands 32, he goes for PCC into F12 stab MB midscreen, which does pretty bad damage for 1 bar. 32 PCC F12U2 combo does 4% less damage but it saves a bar for better use, especially in round 2. Also, I think HQT players should consider his xray as a viable armor options. I watch many of your videos and found many situations when xray could have easily won you those matches
I agree with you f12 u2 is a good string. it launches aND it is safe. I should use it more.

Tweedy

Noob
Destroyer is a good example of optimization not always equaling a good player.

The NA Lao's back in the day, like DJT, Slayer, Foreverking, used to have awful optimization, yet they still placed and did pretty well.

Slayer in particular played probably the worst Lao I have ever seen in terms of optimization, yet by the end he probably had the most top 8s next to Foxy.

YoloRoll1stHit

Publicly Educated
Destroyer is a good example of optimization not always equaling a good player.

The NA Lao's back in the day, like DJT, Slayer, Foreverking, used to have awful optimization, yet they still placed and did pretty well.

Slayer in particular played probably the worst Lao I have ever seen in terms of optimization, yet by the end he probably had the most top 8s next to Foxy.
Sonic Fox, Scar and Foxy are some examples of good players who seek for optimize most of their stuffs (the 35% meterless midscreen made by Foxy for piercing was godlike), and they are some of the most successful players. There are always room for improvement and if it helps there's no reason not to do. Sonic changed his Cassie bnbs 2 times (once after XL patch, and once after last patch), now his bnb damage and consistency are pretty optimized

Tweedy

Noob
Sonic Fox, Scar and Foxy are some examples of good players who seek for optimize most of their stuffs (the 35% meterless midscreen made by Foxy for piercing was godlike), and they are some of the most successful players. There are always room for improvement and if it helps there's no reason not to do. Sonic changed his Cassie bnbs 2 times (once after XL patch, and once after last patch), now his bnb damage and consistency are pretty optimized
At TCW in casuals, Sonic was doing combos with Tarkatan that Dragon and I never tried in tournament. He was lowkey the best Tarkatan too :(.

ToX

Noob
I am getting back into MK (i played MK9 2 years ago) and I notied HQT has exceptional zoning. His zoning reminds me of Freddy's from Mk9 (who i mained and was very successful with online). Im just wondering if he's super hard to pick up? Btw is an xbox controller bad for MKX?

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
if you want zoning he's really good, him and summoner quan are top 2 easily. he's a bit different from other cancel characters as he doesnt actually do run cancels, he does them without the running. will take some time to get used to.

ToX

Noob
Thanks for the advice, I just believe because Im a zoning minded player and was SR 38 on ranked in Mk9 by mainly using freddy (and reptile when they didnt have freddy) so i believe i could pick him up a little easier in terms of gameplay but the execution sounds a little tough. Thankfully i rarely use run on this game so far lol. ill check out some guides. so is he HARD to pick up or middle of the pack? Because thankfully i wont have to unlearn run cancels because i havent really used them yet :D

That rly isn't armor OS coz IF Takeda doesn't do kunai u get full punished. Example: Commando Kano does b1 which is -8 on block. If he staggers it or cancels it u will punish it with armored move which is i8 or faster. And if he does b13 u will block it. That's OS armor. It's not so good anymore coz of lack of 1bar armored launchers
Well he was just asking what it was. I did write this post assuming takeda commits to low kunai. Your talking about baiting out the OS (or characters having an os thats risk free but very situational. Like the example you mentioned i also know kenshi has a few weird ones too but there very specific and sotuational) but i know what you mean. Ive played to many cages and dvoras before this recent patch to not know. What im saying i agree with you. So i suppose what i mentioned is more or less just a regualr armored reversal where theres a gap.