What's new

General/Other - Hish-Qu-Ten Predator Hish-Qu-Ten Discussion Thread

YoloRoll1stHit

Publicly Educated
So what would take to break his armor? I mean any regular string won't break it right? There's like few characters who can right?
His armor is very slow. You can punch him with basically everyone's random strings and its armor will be broken. Like Kitana, a character who isn't known for armor breaking. Just try punching him with 111

His armor is very slow. You can punch him with basically everyone's random strings and its armor will be broken. Like Kitana, a character who isn't known for armor breaking. Just try punching him with 111
Ah ok I understand now, since his armor move is slow and only has one hit of armor then any string that the second hit is faster than his will beat it, is this how it works?

TommyKing5

But the saw... the saw is family
Ah ok I understand now, since his armor move is slow and only has one hit of armor then any string that the second hit is faster than his will beat it, is this how it works?
Yes. His armour is hot garbage. I have no idea why NRS didn't give it two hits considering how easy it is to armour break. I don't think it'll be unbalanced at all because we have to spend an extra bar to launch and I'm sure the armour could still be broken fairly easily.

Funny thing is, my main and favorite MK character is Sektor. I picked up Predator because I love his technical aspects. Cancel characters are just more fun to play overall, and his tool set and design are just awesome. Predator is what brought me back to this game. When the patch hit I said Sektor is top 5 now. Extremely strong. And in my humble opinion definitely stronger than Predator.

As for Predator, I still think his lack of an armored (viable) move balances him. If you know your frames a lot of characters will just smash through his armor, so if he's cornered it's pretty much game over.

The only moves that give him good plus frames on PC are high starters, so his pressure isn't as great as it seems. If he's going to cancel two times in a row he's forced to leave holes to be d2'd out of or do a quick d3 himself which leaves him negative if blocked. The low laser does make his pressure better since people have to worry about that option as well, but it has huge pushback on hit.

Last edited:
Yes. His armour is hot garbage. I have no idea why NRS didn't give it two hits considering how easy it is to armour break. I don't think it'll be unbalanced at all because we have to spend an extra bar to launch and I'm sure the armour could still be broken fairly easily.
Cuz with the tools he has and given the current state of the game (no more 50/50's, no more launching armor being used to punish his lazer cancel gaps, and the universal nerf to stamina crippling offensive characters) hes already EASILY top 3 with these changes to the game universally. Seriously in a game where there is no 50/50's to pressure with on wu anymore, it really doesnt matter that predators armor isnt that great. Im calling it straight up hes either going to be the best character in the game or be in the top 3. Y'all better be ready for this guy dominating the format once again.

Last edited:

JDM

Noob
Cuz with the tools he has and given the current state of the game (no more 50/50's, no more launching armor being used to punish his lazer cancel gaps, and the universal nerf to stamina crippling offensive characters) hes already EASILY top 3 with these changes to the game universally. Seriously in a game where there is no 50/50's to pressure with on wu anymore, it really doesnt matter that predators armor isnt that great. Im calling it straight hes either toing to be the best character in the game or be in the top 3. Y'all better be ready for this guy sominating the format once again.
Yep he's top tier again imo. If he had double armor he'd just be brain-dead. Right now you at least need good defense in the offense heavy matchups.

My point is if you come across a good hqt predator in the games newer slower paced regime, he's gunna be really tough to deal with i feel like.
I'm thinking of picking up mileena to deal with him I like her pressure and teleport, what do you think?

I'm thinking of picking up mileena to deal with him I like her pressure and teleport, what do you think?
To tell you the truth im not entirely sure but because mb roll was changed as much as it was she wont be able to punish preds lazer cancels during pressure nearly as heavily as she used too, her defense suffers for this as well (part of the reason she was favored in the match up, not saying its now a bad match up, but more even). I would suggest every time you see him throw a disk out teleport immediately to force him to block and get rid of the disk (and your teleport is seudo safe with the mind game of chucking or not chucking that sai, making the risk reward in your favor for getting rid of disk) this might actually help her edge out in footsies against him cuz disk is a HUGE footsie tool for preds, if you have a good answer for that it makes the mu easier. F1 for milleena is great in this match up as well for shredding his armor so scimitar slam is not a huge deal for you to deal with especially with it being plus on block and great to harrass him on wake up with. I feel as though she has the tools to go 5/5 with him. But im not entirely sure.

As far as I know, d2 negates Mileena's 50/50 off of teleport. At least it did for Sektor, and I suppose it's the same for Predator now that his d2 has been buffed.

As far as I know, d2 negates Mileena's 50/50 off of teleport. At least it did for Sektor, and I suppose it's the same for Predator now that his d2 has been buffed.
Thats why i say seudo safe, uppercut is the only guarenteed punish for any character off of teleport. Its really the only risk she takes. A 12-14% punish is generally well worth taking the risk to start an offense or launch for a bar

And because launching armor was taken out for the most part her teleport becomes that much stronger along with sekktor

Yeah, I agree. It's a good risk-reward in my eyes, too. Never understood why (good) players didn't take advantage of that more.

Last edited:
That's weird, I tried doing some strings with Kitana to break his armor but predators armored scimitar stab still beat out all I tried on wake up.

Cuz with the tools he has and given the current state of the game (no more 50/50's, no more launching armor being used to punish his lazer cancel gaps, and the universal nerf to stamina crippling offensive characters) hes already EASILY top 3 with these changes to the game universally. Seriously in a game where there is no 50/50's to pressure with on wu anymore, it really doesnt matter that predators armor isnt that great. Im calling it straight up hes either going to be the best character in the game or be in the top 3. Y'all better be ready for this guy dominating the format once again.
Isn't there still the same 50/50's in the game though? I mean some overheads are slower but on wake up you still have to guess though.

ExpectFlames

Lord of embers
That's weird, I tried doing some strings with Kitana to break his armor but predators armored scimitar stab still beat out all I tried on wake up.

Isn't there still the same 50/50's in the game though? I mean some overheads are slower but on wake up you still have to guess though.
lk b1 destroys most 1 hit armor moves

Ill clarify, your right not all of them were completely erased just the majority which is why i say preds lack of armor doesnt seem to be AS huge a weakness anymore. There are going to be alot more situations where he is going to be able to guess right to get out of some trouble situations he wasnt able to before so easily in the past. Thank you for catching my mistake, my wording was a little incorrect.

Ill clarify, your right not all of them were completely erased just the majority which is why i say preds lack of armor doesnt seem to be AS huge a weakness anymore. There are going to be alot more situations where he is going to be able to guess right to get out of some trouble situations he wasnt able to before so easily in the past. Thank you for catching my mistake, my wording was a little incorrect.
I don't think the majority of 50/50's were removed at all, just some overheads were made slower, still seems like a 50/50 game to me sadly.

Cool but then only certain characters can though right? Most can't, that's my point.

I don't think the majority of 50/50's were removed at all, just some overheads were made slower, still seems like a 50/50 game to me sadly.

There not 50/50's if you can react too them or fuzzy guard them. Anything slower than 18-20 you should he able to react too if you cant then yes.... 50/50's exist until your reflexes are trained otherwise, and that comes with experience.

Cool but then only certain characters can though right? Most can't, that's my point.