What's new

General/Other - Predator Predator General Discussion Thread

TommyKing5

But the saw... the saw is family
Has anyone noticed any stealth nerfs/buffs with predator from this new patch?
Don't think so. He's the same. But don't take my word for it, I was in the lab with him for about five minutes, so there is definitely a chance that I missed something.

ando1184

Noob
I have a feeling it's been +1 since he was released. Is the slow string with the wristblades ending with the overhead (f212).
I wish they would make the 1st or 2nd hit of that string OH instead of the last hit. It's too slow and would benefit his mixup game across all variations.

jokey77

Character Loyalist
I have a feeling it's been +1 since he was released. Is the slow string with the wristblades ending with the overhead (f212).
I am pretty sure that this is right. You cannot link "plasmacancel,f12", so this doesn't really matter anyway.

Predator seems exectly the same.

ando1184

Noob
There actually was a change to predator this patch, b3d2 finally says -21 on block (down from 0) in the frame data.

TommyKing5

But the saw... the saw is family
I haven't really played Predator since the XL patch. Has much really changed for him? I know his lasers do a tiny bit less damage and he's less plus off plasma cancels, but has his gameplan changed much? Zoning still one of the best?

ando1184

Noob
I haven't really played Predator since the XL patch. Has much really changed for him? I know his lasers do a tiny bit less damage and he's less plus off plasma cancels, but has his gameplan changed much? Zoning still one of the best?
To me the zoning feels exactly the same, idk how much weight that carries though since I primarily play Hunter. Is anyone telling predator in the ESL tourneys? I'm always at work at haven't gotten to compete yet :(

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
His Zoning is still top notch. Pred has gone mostly untouched after the XL patch. His numbers are a little lower but the gameplan hasn't changed greatly from what little I've seen and played

Parasurama

Dragon
I am pretty sure that this is right. You cannot link "plasmacancel,f12", so this doesn't really matter anyway.

Predator seems exectly the same.
Nice Predator at Vienna. I thought you were winning and perhaps gave it away a few times?

Last edited:

Poshib

The Artman
Are there any other Predator players here that play a more offense/rushdown style in HQT? With Predator's offense taking a big hit with the Plasma Cancel nerfs, what are you guys doing when playing a matchup where zoning isn't the most effective?

Parasurama

Dragon
Are there any other Predator players here that play a more offense/rushdown style in HQT? With Predator's offense taking a big hit with the Plasma Cancel nerfs, what are you guys doing when playing a matchup where zoning isn't the most effective?
I think Predator commands a good deal of space. So I use my b2, f4 (plus on block- few people know) and d4 at a range. Zoning works full screen, can only be punished on read, I think. The cancels never really jailed I think, so it is a similar game. The biggest issue is the 3 being high, but it has been so for some time.

jokey77

Character Loyalist
Actually his zoning works against pretty much everyone but maybe Jacqui, Tremor and Quan Chi. However once the opponent got the life lead, you might be forced to get in.

I do like Predators underrated rushdown game. Imho the core of his rushdown is using the stagger of low Plasma for d4 and 3(whiff)2 gimmicks. I haven't seen anyone but me use this.

After a blocked jump-in 4-plasmacancel might be his best option. F21 jails, but even b311 feels pretty much guaranteed.

Another key aspect remain his 50/50s though (32//3-lowplasma, 122 // 12-lowplasma and F212//F2-lowplasma).

The biggest nerf that came from the last patch were the reduced plusframes on 21-pcc. But I don't want to bore you with details... :)

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
Actually his zoning works against pretty much everyone but maybe Jacqui, Tremor and Quan Chi. However once the opponent got the life lead, you might be forced to get in.

I do like Predators underrated rushdown game. Imho the core of his rushdown is using the stagger of low Plasma for d4 and 3(whiff)2 gimmicks. I haven't seen anyone but me use this.

After a blocked jump-in 4-plasmacancel might be his best option. F21 jails, but even b311 feels pretty much guaranteed.

Another key aspect remain his 50/50s though (32//3-lowplasma, 122 // 12-lowplasma and F212//F2-lowplasma).

The biggest nerf that came from the last patch were the reduced plusframes on 21-pcc. But I don't want to bore you with details... :)
I never really tought of f212/f2-low plama, ill try to inplement that in my game more.
Btw what u meam with using stagger for low plasma for d4 and 3 gimmicks?

Poshib

The Artman

Yeah, 21-pcc was my shit. Something I'll share that I think all Predator's should use is the guaranteed chip from 32-straight beam and 122-straight beam. It's completely safe and is a great way to close out rounds. 122 is still guaranteed from a st.4 but the timing is more strict.

Poshib

The Artman
Here's a set with a Hunter I ran into yesterday. You can see some of the pressure I'm talking about.

Here's a set with a Hunter I ran into yesterday. You can see some of the pressure I'm talking about.
My playstyle is similar to this. I zone until I get an opportunity to get them in the the corner. Once I have them them in the corner, I end all my combos with disc into armor breaking setups and 50/50's. Ending corner juggle combos with f4 into ex disc also blows up 95% of wakeups and leaves you plus if they delay wakeup. I might make a video showing how effective it is.

Poshib

The Artman
F4 into EX disc?! That sounds nasty! I've been looking for a practical way to utilize that move. I'm gonna try it today.

jokey77

Character Loyalist
I never really tought of f212/f2-low plama, ill try to inplement that in my game more.
Btw what u meam with using stagger for low plasma for d4 and 3 gimmicks?
On hit lowplasma will lead to plenty of plusframes. Besides the opponent will stagger backwards. Thus the 3 of 32 whiffs, which is not a big deal. The plusframe still cause the overhead 2 to hit more often than not. You can even plasmacancel the 32-string for some plusframes.

In theory you can also run in and use the stagger for a guaranteed 122 string. Even though 1 hits high, the stagger state forces the opponent to block it. This is situational though and depends on the range. It is the same for a well-timed b2, which hits high too and still must be blocked if timed correctly after a lowplasma hit. Both is difficult to do in the heat of the battle.

I don't like 4~ex disc, because there is no mixup involved and 4~plasmacancel allows a 50/50 with ex lowplasma (leading to like 35% damage).

But instant-air-disc can be quite useful, as long as it is done low enough.

jokey77

Character Loyalist
What's up fellow Predator players? I got 2nd yesterday at one of our locals yesterday and I'd like some feedback on my gameplay.

I have just watched the first one. Not bad, but you should hitconfirm b22-pcc into f12-ex scimitar and combo way more.

Besides after lowplasma you should go for: run, 3~lowplasma (mid), b22~scimitar. After some strings 2~lowplasma (mid) makes the timing easier. However 3 does work after every important mixup string (32, b3, 12), even though 3~ex lowplasma should be done with 2~lowplasma (mid).

Late NJP is your friend, especially against rushdown heavy characters. Use it. And if NJP whiffs, just go for a second one. This does work pretty well. :)