What's new

General/Other - Jason Voorhees [Pre-XL] This character....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sugarwatermixlegit

Bruce Campbell 4 MK!!!
Jason Voorhees was probably my most hyped newcomer to appear in MKX (other than Cassie), and ever since Freddy was in MK9 I couldn't help but think about Jason being in a MK game. Now that it happened, I have to say I am disappointed. He looks badass, and has some badass specials, but they nerfed him to death, and made probably my favorite variation of him (Unstoppable) almost unplayable. I have a feeling NRS got the rights to put Mr.Voorhees in the game, then they made him, but now they don't give 2 shits about him. He was not as hyped up as Predator, and because of that Pred got way more love gameplay wise. I am not saying Jason is AWFUL, but I really want to use him in a competitive setting, and I now find that almost impossible. I will keep Jason as one of my main characters, and may even dedicate the time into him making him my #1 character and use him in tourneys, if they just buff him. They need to make this character worth playing. So what I'm going to ask is, in the end is it worth the time and dedication to put into this character in his current state or just find somebody else until they buff this guy? I am interested in almost the whole cast at the moment, and would love to be a dedicated Jason player, but he seems like Jade MK9 tier right now. Sorry if this is not well written, I am new to TYM.

Sugarwatermixlegit

Bruce Campbell 4 MK!!!
I was thinking about going for relentless. I just might, if they just tweak it a little bit but compared to the other characters im messing around with (Jin, Cage, Cassie, D'Vorah, Sonya and Mileena) I am not sure if Jason is worth it. I'll mess around a bit more.

Blade4693

VIVIVI
I feel the same way. It sort of seems like they acquired the rights to him because they knew he would sell and us horror buffs would blindly purchase him, but put the least amount of effort into him possible. Which is a shame because this is likely the only MK game he will be in :/

I don't really get to play often, but I am sticking with him regardless, I am going to enjoy this while it lasts lol

Hidan

Where the hell is Reiko's wheel kick
Jason Voorhees was probably my most hyped newcomer to appear in MKX (other than Cassie), and ever since Freddy was in MK9 I couldn't help but think about Jason being in a MK game. Now that it happened, I have to say I am disappointed. He looks badass, and has some badass specials, but they nerfed him to death, and made probably my favorite variation of him (Unstoppable) almost unplayable. I have a feeling NRS got the rights to put Mr.Voorhees in the game, then they made him, but now they don't give 2 shits about him. He was not as hyped up as Predator, and because of that Pred got way more love gameplay wise. I am not saying Jason is AWFUL, but I really want to use him in a competitive setting, and I now find that almost impossible. I will keep Jason as one of my main characters, and may even dedicate the time into him making him my #1 character and use him in tourneys, if they just buff him. They need to make this character worth playing. So what I'm going to ask is, in the end is it worth the time and dedication to put into this character in his current state or just find somebody else until they buff this guy? I am interested in almost the whole cast at the moment, and would love to be a dedicated Jason player, but he seems like Jade MK9 tier right now. Sorry if this is not well written, I am new to TYM.
Unstoppable is just hard. Get the guts to lose some games to realize what you can do and enjoy the unique, iconic traits this variation has

Jason's animations, intros, sounds and pain emphasis are on another level even for MK. This isn't a character they don't care about. They just don't know what to patch with him, plus there isn't as much feedback as other characters.

Time and dedication won't give you tournament results, but they'll provide ideas, fundamentals (as any low tier in any game) and sweeter wins. If you haven't won any serious event till now, just enjoy the character

freerf245

11 11 11 11
It really does suck. I've always been a big Friday the 13th fan and it sucks that he's bottom 3 AT BEST. I'd go as far as saying he's the worst character in the game. If you're gonna use him, use relentless. Utilize all the tick throws, which he has a lot of, and get pursuit safely out as much as possible. Please NRS. You made Predator good now do the same for Jason.

Sugarwatermixlegit

Bruce Campbell 4 MK!!!
I do have tons of fun with Jason, don't get me wrong. He is a blast to play. Just makes me sort of upset that he doesn't get that much love. I've been a huge Jason fan for pretty much my whole life, as well as a huge MK fan so it is a match made in heaven for me and I do enjoy messing around with him, I just think he deserves better. I'm not trying to sound childish or whine here sorry if it comes off this way, I'm new here so again I apologize.

EMPEROR PRYCE

WAR SEASON "THE WEAK EXPOSED!"
Character needs tweaks. Nothing serious. Give relentless his damage buff back to how it was.

Also, give slasher a few more options for damage without having to leave himself wide open for punishes

freerf245

11 11 11 11
Give slashers f4 a faster startup. He needs some decent 50/50s. And i should be able to use his meter burned buffs mid combo in unstoppable. Ex: b12 EXdd1 b112 run b112 run 11 choke. (Sorry if I screwed up his inputs I don't know them too well.)

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Honestly just give him crazier damage across the board. He's slow as shit and his normals arnt very good. I use cage and I laugh out loud when someone picks jason. I played a guy who was clearly better than me but I could kick his ass because of cage d4. When he fineally got a hold of me he did slightly above average damage, when I played worse he still was held back by his character.

Sugarwatermixlegit

Bruce Campbell 4 MK!!!
I play him online a bit for fun when I'm not playing Cassie, and I get the same feeling when I win with Jason (unstoppable) that I get when I win with Dan in USF4. It's honestly one of the best feelings ever.

I don't think its that NRS "doesn't care," I think its that they are completely incompetent when it comes to grappler design. Its like they're WAY too afraid of throws being good that 1.) they don't do scary damage and 2.) they can be armored through just like any other move.

The whole point of armor (traditionally speaking) was so that the slow characters could get a hit in, when you give EVERY character armor it negates that one advantage that the slow characters had and offers them no benefit over a faster character. To make things worse, due to the fact that there are no "armor breaker" moves, the only way to beat out armor is with two fast hits, something that slow characters aren't capable of doing. Jason suffers from being at a disadvantage from full screen AND he's still at a disadvantage when up close, its kind of a complete joke.

I hate to say it because people don't like negativity posted on any of these forums, but in NRS games you're almost always 100% right in choosing a faster character and 100% wrong in choosing a slower character regardless of their play style.

Sugarwatermixlegit

Bruce Campbell 4 MK!!!
I agree in a way seeing how my main is a faster character while Jason is my pocket character. With Cassie it's much easier to run around the screen, and be a threat but with Jason it's pretty hard to even get to the opponent in situations. I find it funny that the girl with a gun is much better than the serial killer who literally cannot die.

It goes way beyond that Sugarwater -- Jason, despite not having low or overhead combo starters and having such a hard time getting in AND having slow normals once he does get in still on average does much less damage than kung lao or tanya. It doesn't make any sense at all. Its like he has all the drawbacks of a grappler character, gets poked out of anything up close, doesn't do damage, and doesn't have more health. There is literally no reason to use him other than just for "fun." I put "fun" in quotes because its not fun being that hard at disadvantage at all times. Grundy suffered from a lot of these same problems in Injustice, but AT LEAST he hit like a freight train when he did land a combo.

Sugarwatermixlegit

Bruce Campbell 4 MK!!!
For a brooding legendary serial killer they made him out really shitty. I honestly think he deserves buffs more than anybody in the roster atm. Then again he is my pocket character so I pay attention to him over other characters so maybe he isn't the worst. But it looks like it to me.

Hidan

Where the hell is Reiko's wheel kick
I don't think its that NRS "doesn't care," I think its that they are completely incompetent when it comes to grappler design. Its like they're WAY too afraid of throws being good that 1.) they don't do scary damage and 2.) they can be armored through just like any other move.

The whole point of armor (traditionally speaking) was so that the slow characters could get a hit in, when you give EVERY character armor it negates that one advantage that the slow characters had and offers them no benefit over a faster character. To make things worse, due to the fact that there are no "armor breaker" moves, the only way to beat out armor is with two fast hits, something that slow characters aren't capable of doing. Jason suffers from being at a disadvantage from full screen AND he's still at a disadvantage when up close, its kind of a complete joke.

I hate to say it because people don't like negativity posted on any of these forums, but in NRS games you're almost always 100% right in choosing a faster character and 100% wrong in choosing a slower character regardless of their play style.
noob designers... literally... from all points of view

Doctor Rektangle

Think outside the Box
Can he get that costume buff. Cause that tanned green jacket with the wife beater isn't really doing it for me. His P2 is alright.

But in all seriousness. Slasher is gimped due to b1 b12 & d3 can only work for so long. F42 is punishable and not that hard to block to begin with. Your f2 overhead is just disrespected midscreen.

Relentless gets low profiled for days and doesn't have the best damage.

Unstoppable might as well be No Variation Jason. I mean he's fun for online casuals sure. I mean I main Spectral Ermac so I know the struggle life. But ya Boi needs help.

E

Eldriken

For a brooding legendary serial killer they made him out really shitty. I honestly think he deserves buffs more than anybody in the roster atm. Then again he is my pocket character so I pay attention to him over other characters so maybe he isn't the worst. But it looks like it to me.
He's certainly the worst character in the game. But I still have heaps of fun with him.

NQuad1Zero

Hidden Fraud
I think there is SOME argument that can be made for Kenshi contesting the worst character spot, simply due to the large amount of holes, highrisk/lowreward factor and he has just as little mixups as Jason, with honestly (imo) worse normals than Jason (Possessed has some mixups I suppose, but you never have to cop the low launcher if you just armour, you can also fuzzyguard the lowdemon during Kenshi's strings)

Ive always imagined a buff Jason needs a new F2/B2 and make it overhead, with an animation that looks like a double forward fist overhead slam (similar to Erron Black's final hit of his 121 string) and with properties like SubZero's B2. Maybe also speed up his Low and make his standing 2 a mid lol. THEN he will actually be a threat.

What was the "Nerfed to death" changes to Jason that OP was talking about? was it the way Relentless dmg got changed? (cuz I gotta admit that did really suck).

Jason is so aesthetically well-made that I'm sure he'll get some love eventually, like the Takeda treatment lol. I guess we (well not really me, but Id still like to see) just gotta pray

Blade4693

VIVIVI
He just needs a few touch ups. He does some pretty good meterless damage (also without the need of run cancels) which is good IF you can actually manage to open the opponent up (talking Slasher here) I just think he needs a little something, maybe make a few more of his moves safer, and make his some of his normals and pokes faster. He just gets completely destroyed by faster characters like Liu Kang, Kung Lao etc.

NQuad1Zero

Hidden Fraud
I just realised that my previous suggestion would sorta go against the whole "grappler" theme, so maybe have a new overhead move that is a hardknockdown AND special-cancellable so that you have enough frames to get out both of unstoppable's buffs or get dark pursuit in (so in otherwords, the longest hardest-knockdown in the game, which would make sense cuz of how powerful Jason visually is).

Maybe enhance the damage of his command grabs and make his EX backbreaker and EX Squeeze end in a launcher (by Jason throwing his opponent on the ground really hard so that it bounces them) and make it only work once in a combo through aerial diminishing returns. That I think would really help him out (whilst making slasher not great simutaneously, but I dont play that variation enough to know whats going for him sorry)

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
I've been where you are now, in the previous game. My main was one of the worst and I held out and complained instead of picking a new one.
Even if I feel I'd rather have iconic mk characters back than the new characters let alone having several movie monsters in the game, I sympathise with you. I can only tell you this with the best of intent and take it as you will: Find a new character you enjoy or you'll waste precious brain cells feeling bad about something you have no way to change.

Status
Not open for further replies.