What's new

Guide - Vicious [Pre-XL] Beginner's Guide to Vicious

I just wrote this up in response to a question on reddit, and thought it might make sense to post it here for people who come looking for how to start with these two. We've got a lot of good info on Lackey around here, but not so much on Vicious.

I'm by no means a top player, but this will definitely help someone get started. I'd love any feedback you guys want to give and I'm happy to edit the post to include any additions or updates.

Here are the BnBs (these are optimized for having bigger timing windows that make them easy to hit online or off. You can definitely get a few more percentage points out if you're willing to deal with tighter execution windows, but these are easy to hit and do the job):

F2 4 xxBF4 - 30%, low starter. This is also my go-to when I hit them with an NJP. Use the F2 to catch them out of the air and go from there.

B232+4 xxRun F2 4 xxBF4 - 33%, overhead starter. This one's got a slower startup, so it works best when you've trained them to block low (by using lots of low pokes and your F2 BnB). Also good for when the opponent is getting up after a knockdown. I'm pretty sure 2nd or 3rd hit is a low, so you'll sometimes see people block the first hit and get launched anyway.

B32+4 - not sure on the damage, this one's a low to overhead string with a hard knockdown. Great pressure, especially after a knockdown. Hard to block both hits unless they know the matchup and are on point.

D1 xxDBF1 - if your low poke with the D1 is blocked, you can cancel the blocked hit into the command grab as a tick throw.

NJP - this reaches 3/4 of the screen, so it can hit them when they're not expecting it. It's pretty unsafe unless you're far enough that they can't reach and it's a character who doesn't have a fast slide or charge (people like Reptile, Subzero, and Kano can punish it, for example), but most people don't see it coming, and it catches a lot ducking blockers. It feels faster to me than the B2 starter, but that may be all in my head. Another good one once you've got your opponent trained to block low.

In the corner, I like B232+4, NJP, then repeat D1 until they hit the ground or B232+4, F2, F2 to throw them back into the corner. It's easy to start one of your BnBs without thinking about it and accidentally throw them out of the corner, but you want to keep them there to keep up the pressure. Even F2, F2 for not much damage is better than throwing them out of it in a full combo.

Your pressure strings are 11, B12 (or B121), and the aforementioned B32+4. You can cancel either of the first two into BF4 if they hit. If your opponent is blocking low, you can add the third 1 to the 11 string for an overhead with a hard knockdown. Your best pokes are D1, D3, and D4 - D3 is the fastest, but has a very short range. D4 reaches much farther and on block it pushes them to exactly the distance you want your opponent to be with F/T, but it's slower, so you want to use it from farther out. D1 is a good compromise between range and speed. And if Ferra's not on your back at the moment, you get the Lackey variation's D1, which is godlike - it's 5 frames and reaches almost halfway across the screen.

The various Ferra throws are great for footsies and dealing with zoners. Any projectile Ferra hits while she's in the air disappears immediately. If you can't eat it for some reason and have to trade (usually if you're too far away to use BF4 and have to go with the high or low), usually they take more damage than you do, so it's a good trade. Things to watch out for in zoning: 1) BF4 only goes about 3/4 of the screen, so don't throw her if it's going to whiff - you're a sitting duck while you wait for her to run back and your opponent isn't in hitstun or blockstun, so they're free to punish you. 2) If you take damage while Ferra is in the air on your DB2 throws, she'll fall to the ground and won't damage your opponent (your BF2 bowl girl doesn't have this problem - if you bowl her, she's going to hit).

You don't really need a lot of meter in your combos. F/T's best uses of meter are armored wakeups (EX BF3 and EX DBF1) and combo breakers. If you find yourself with full meter, you've already won 1 round, and your opponent is down to half of their life, you can use F2, 4 xxX-ray for 50%, but it's not worth burning all the meter unless it's going to give you the win. That's the optimized damage X ray combo - adding more hits or using the B232+4 starter drops the damage to like 43%.

Your basic game plan is about controlling spacing. The best place for the opponent to be is a few steps away, close enough that you can reach them with things like B4, B3, NJP, and your other long reach normals, but far enough away that they can't reach you. As mentioned above, your D4 puts them almost exactly where you want them for most characters (watch out for people like Dvorah, who can reach just as far as you can). If they're farther away than that, you usually win the zoning game because you have options (DB2 high, BF4 mid, and BF2 low) and they all do better damage than most projectiles. You can also get in to where you want to be because all the Ferra throws result in a knockdown. If you know it's going to hit, throw her and run in behind her. Because F/T's normals are slower than a lot of the characters, being really close can kill you, especially against faster characters like Liu Kang, Cassie, Sonya, etc. You only want to be that close when you're putting the screws to them with corner pressure.

Finally, to watch some high level F/T play, search youtube for match videos of Biohazard (I think he only uses Vicious) and Grrr (who uses Vicious and Lackey). They're both good tournament players who main F/T.

Last edited:
This is awesome, thanks a bunch... Typo in last paragraph, zoning is db2, bf4, and bf2.
Thanks, man. Fixed it. I wrote this up at work, so I was going from memory.

I'm going to update this weekend to reflect the damage scaling changes from this week's patch, but I haven't had a chance to play around with it yet.

Last edited:

Hades

Noob
How do i wake up? I get destroyed on knock down and nothing comes out. Is it bcauseferras gone or what?

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
Power of Legend! I've played your Ferra/Torr! You're awesome!

This was a good thread. I like to add that on a blocking opponent, the f3, and 1 will cancel into the command grab as well.

The enhanced command grab will not work after a blocked f3, only the unenhanced.

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
Very nice guide, thank you. Looking at learning some F/T and this is beyond helpful.

If I can ask, though this thread may be biased a little, ha, is Vicious the "go-to" variation for F/T? I seem to hear about Lackey and Vicious a lot, but I'm not sure which the better version to learn first would be.

Very nice guide, thank you. Looking at learning some F/T and this is beyond helpful.

If I can ask, though this thread may be biased a little, ha, is Vicious the "go-to" variation for F/T? I seem to hear about Lackey and Vicious a lot, but I'm not sure which the better version to learn first would be.
Honestly, all three variations are pretty strong in their own way. Vicious and Lackey are the most popular at the moment, but people are starting to pick up Ruthless a little more lately, too. It really depends on what you're looking for.

If you want to play a rush down style of game, Lackey's your best bet. It's got awesome tools and speed for that kind of gameplay. If you want more footies and neutral game, playing with spacing and baiting your opponent, then Vicious is the better choice. Ruthless is also in the second category, but relies more on buying yourself the time and space to get the buff out, so it's probably not the best one to start with. Once you've played Vicious enough to understand he character and are confident in your ability to get that time and space, Ruthless is definitely worth playing around with. Stack pain and gain enough times, and he can get 60% damage out of a regular bnb combo.

Does that help?

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor

Depends on the MU.
Lackey could be strongest, but you'd be suicidal to pick is against GM sub zero.

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
Honestly, all three variations are pretty strong in their own way. Vicious and Lackey are the most popular at the moment, but people are starting to pick up Ruthless a little more lately, too. It really depends on what you're looking for.

If you want to play a rush down style of game, Lackey's your best bet. It's got awesome tools and speed for that kind of gameplay. If you want more footies and neutral game, playing with spacing and baiting your opponent, then Vicious is the better choice. Ruthless is also in the second category, but relies more on buying yourself the time and space to get the buff out, so it's probably not the best one to start with. Once you've played Vicious enough to understand he character and are confident in your ability to get that time and space, Ruthless is definitely worth playing around with. Stack pain and gain enough times, and he can get 60% damage out of a regular bnb combo.

Does that help?

That does help a lot, thank you.

Just wanted to say, really appreciate this guide for basic character information. I started MKX with Biggie/Smalls and have since gone through the entire cast I think. Struggling to find a character that I really get along with but this kind of information should be at the head of every character on the forums I think. Again, great job with the guide @PowerOfLegend, simple yet effective.

Faust

Why you look like we?
For me I find f3 one of their more useful normals. It's ability to apply safe pressure on block (either with the 2 follow-up, or by cancelling into db2b) has been very useful. Couple that with its ability to tick into the c.grab and close space makes its pretty versatile.

For D1 xxDBF1, do I need to press D again after the D1? Or will it accept me holding D for D1 and the D input in DBF1?

For D1 xxDBF1, do I need to press D again after the D1? Or will it accept me holding D for D1 and the D input in DBF1?
The latter option, I'm sure. Input: D1,B,F,1.

Turn on negative edge (or "Release Check") under your controller preferences in the pause menu if it doesn't work.