What's new

Question - Goro Post your "buff wishlist" for Goro!

Alright RyRy

Florida Kombat
Universal
  • F3 or F2 sped up to 13 frames
  • F4 to crush lows
  • B1 to be a true mid
  • Decide which side to get off on EX Telestomp (Luxury buff)
  • Damage on OTG Set up involving Telestomp lowered if the set up is escape-able
  • Make the projectile usable in 2 of 3 variations (Faster start up, or a mid)
  • DBF+3 has more hit advantage or opponent doesn't get thrown as far. (Or make it a hard knockdown)
The OTG Set-Ups I am talking about with Telestomp to make it clearer for the non-Goro players.
https://testyourmight.com/threads/goro-40-midscreen-combo-set-up-sweet-succulent-fresh-goro-tech.56395/

Dragon Fangs
  • Fix bug where hitbox on B1 is not consistent in the corner as the other variations
Tigrar Fury
  • Faster start up on EX Close Low Fireball (Making F3, 21, B12 true blocking strings involving EX CLFB)
  • If Universal buffs happen with F3 or F2 (read above) make BF2 +8 on block to prevent any infinites
  • Give Goro DBF+4 (new command for Full screen low fireball)
Kuatan Warrior
  • EX Ground Pound come out on whiff (Just like Tremors)
  • EX Ground Pound have less damage scaling on OTG setups. (Up to 6-8% from current 3%)
This may seem like alot, but to me this is what Goro needs imo to compete with the other characters in this game.

Last edited:

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
EX Punchwalk is now -16 on block
Tigrar Fury's BF2 is now -10 on block
B3 has increased cancel advantage (no longer ticks into DBF3)
Kuatan Warrior's BF2 is now 15 frames
Dragon Fangs' exBF2 is now -7 on block
B12U2 is now -7 on block

I think these seem fair, don't you? :DOGE

Espio

Kokomo
Lead Moderator
Universal
  • F3 or F2 sped up to 13 frames
  • F4 to crush lows
  • B1 to be a true mid
  • Decide which side to get off on EX Telestomp (Luxury buff)
  • Damage on OTG Set up involving lowered if the set up is escape-able
  • Make the projectile usable in 2 of 3 variations (Faster start up, or a mid)
  • DBF+3 has more hit advantage or opponent doesn't get thrown as far. (Or make it a hard knockdown)
Dragon Fangs
  • Fix bug where hitbox on B1 is not consistent in the corner as the other variations
Tigrar Fury
  • Faster start up on EX Close Low Fireball (Making F3, 21, B12 true blocking strings involving EX CLFB)
  • If Universal buffs happen with F3 or F2 (read above) make BF2 +8 on block to prevent any infinites
  • Give Goro DBF+4 (new command for Full screen low fireball)
Kuatan Warrior
  • EX Ground Pound come out on whiff (Just like Tremors)
  • EX Ground Pound have less damage scaling on OTG setups. (Up to 6-8% from current 3%)
This may seem like alot, but to me this is what Goro needs imo to compete with the other characters in this game.

The list is incredibly reasonable for the most part. I'd rather the move that gets sped up be forward 2 because that would mean he has mid hitting, viable stagger pressure that doesn't have the same low profiling issues.

Not having to deal with that level of nonsense would propel him up the tier list on its own because some match ups are harder just because you have to deal with safe on block low profiling shit that you shouldn't have to deal with when a move is classified as mid.

I don't really have anything to add, those are the main things I want. I kind of wouldn't be upset if ex low stab was a mid so that way I wouldn't be wasting plus frames for when people outright REFUSE to block low, but that would just be a luxury buff, certainly not game breaking though. I'd feel way more comfortable abusing ex low stab to keep people near me.

Considering how slow that fireball is, it should definitely be a mid. I wouldn't even be mad if green ex fireball ate projectiles.

I actually don't think you're asking for too much this time. I'm proud of you Ry Ry <3.

dennycascade

UPR_ghastem
I think all the suggestions from @EVB Alright RyRy are godlike and I would love to see that happen, but if i was Paulo himself, this is what my patch notes would look like.

Universal:
F3 is now 13 frames on startup
F2 is now 16 frames on startup
Shokan bolt is now a mid
Improved hitboxes on f3 and b1 to prevent them from being low profiled
Improved hitbox on command grab to prevent it from being low profiled
Fixed bug with f4 not launching correctly against crouching opponents
Fixed input bug with EX stomp not coming out on wakeup or coming out as raw stomp
Fixed bug with non-guaranteed stomps receiving damage scaling

Tigrar Fury
Slightly improved startup, recovery and hit advantage on straight fireball
Added far low fireball (db4f)
EX straight fireball is now a mid on the last hit

Kuatan Warrior
All hits of EX tremor come out on whiff
EX tremor is now 0 on hit (up from -1)
Reduced damage scaling on EX tremor after a command grab ender
EX chest lunge is now -2 on block

Dragon Fangs
Slightly reduced pushback on EX low fang

What do you guys think?

Nuovo_Cabjoy

G O R O B O Y S
I'd like EX Fang Spin to have more reliable recarpture when used as an anti-air, and I think it'd be fair for his non Tigrar projectile to either be a little slower and a mid, or a little faster and remain a high. It would be nice to have at least a relatively useful projectile.

Alright RyRy

Florida Kombat
I'd like EX Fang Spin to have more reliable recarpture when used as an anti-air, and I think it'd be fair for his non Tigrar projectile to either be a little slower and a mid, or a little faster and remain a high. It would be nice to have at least a relatively useful projectile.
I agree with both, the projectile needs work for sure. I honestly would rather not have one.

dennycascade

UPR_ghastem
Now for my realistic buff list.

Universal
Punch walk is now a rekka system and can be meter burned on block to become +14
Stomp is now 12 frames on startup and launches opponent into the air
F3 is now 9 frames on startup and hits overhead.
Command grab now leaves the opponent standing next to goro, and is +25 on hit.
B3 now has similar range to alien's b3
Gained a new aerial attack (Shokan Divekick) which sends goro flying at the opponent and launches for a juggle.

Tigrar Fury
Straight fireball now hits mid and has the same startup and recovery as predator's plasma caster. (shoutouts to forever king)
Flame breath is now 10 frames on startup and jails from all strings.
EX straight fireball is now 6 frames on startup, hits mid and pushes the opponent back full screen on block.

Kuatan warrior
Gained a new special move (Goro Klone) in which goro creates a clone of himself that punch walks the opponent when touched. Can be used in the air.
Ground Pound now has 3 recovery frames and can OTG the opponent
EX tremor can now be delayed while goro moves freely.
Chest lunge and EX chest lunge now reach full screen and launch the opponent on hit.

Dragon Fangs
Dragon Spin is now special cancelable similar to Liu kang's windmill punch, except it can be canceled from any of the three hits and ticks into command grab on block.
Goro can now choose whether EX Dragon Spin hits overhead or low on the last hit.
D1 now has similar reach to predator's d4.
Gained a new special move (Overhead Fang) which launches on hit.

These minor buffs might bump him up to b+ tier at best, but even after these changes I think he'd probably still need some help.

Last edited:

Nuovo_Cabjoy

G O R O B O Y S
I agree with both, the projectile needs work for sure. I honestly would rather not have one.
I'm just trying to think of what he could have instead. It's hard to think of reasonable buffs, because the skeleton of what he is now doesn't really fit the MKX meta. But what could he have to make him more of an "MKX" character while still retaining his core design?

It's been a while since I've played him, but what do the rest of you guys think his main problems are?

- Anti-airing seems fine for the most part in Dragon Fangs. U1/2 is good for blowing up crossover jumps but can be lacking against certain forward jump ins. In this instance d1, d3/d4 can actually be useful, or ex fang spin in DF. Maybe d2 could be a bit faster to help the other variations?
- Pressure is quite good, but due to the nature of armour most times you're pressuring it's still a hard read. (I think this is one of the core things holding Goro back. No gameplan that FORCES respect completely). It can give characters with slower pokes a hard time, but in a game where the threat of launching armour exists every time you're +2, you won't always be able to force respect.
- He more or less destroys conventional counter poke meta, but can also be armoured if predictable when cancelling pokes into PW outside of d4 at that specific range it jails. Also a core of Goro's design, but not as forceful as tools other characters have.
- D4 is good with decent hit advantage, but still only really jails into a neg situation at closish range (f3, f3xxPW) unless you want to cancel f3 into EX low stab. Not the end of the world, but maybe a slightly more plus d4 could up his overall game a little more.
- s1 and s2 are 10f, making contesting run ins slightly less reaction and more intuition. I tend to contest run ins quite a bit with DF 121, but I can't imagine this is an easy task in the other variations (since they have no disjointed hitbox). It could be OD having these be much faster, since they lead to +2, but maybe bringing them to 9f could help ever so slightly in this department.
- f3 is great, but as a whiff punish tool can be a bit too slow. F2 buff suggested by Ryan would help this greatly. F2 would also give access to a useful stagger string, which I think is the best way to give him "MKX" offense. It could be a little crazy based on the rest of his design, but I'd certainly welcome it. Perhaps if this string is buffed, the launching ender should only juggle enough to get d1 SG for example so it's not too nuts in the corner. Cancel into EX PW should be how he gets real damage from stagger potential imo.
- Goro's air game is super weak, j4 to me is his only useable normal. With that in mind, Goro doesn't deserve a strong air game imo so this weakness should stay as is.
- Cmd grab whiffs like an absolute mofo, some hitbox improvements would be great here. Even at the cost of 1-2f start up I would take a better hitbox. Right now it whiffs quite a bit and can lead to being punished when you suspect it'll connect (particularly against females)

I'm sure there's more, but I these are the more poignant issues that come to mind. Feel free to expand on this/correct me where I'm wrong. :)

Nuovo_Cabjoy

G O R O B O Y S
Oh and some more hit advantage on telestomp would be nice. Spending a bar to be neutral and half screen away is kinda meh. Doesnt need to be huge advantage but at least a little more would be nice.

Alright RyRy

Florida Kombat
I'm just trying to think of what he could have instead. It's hard to think of reasonable buffs, because the skeleton of what he is now doesn't really fit the MKX meta. But what could he have to make him more of an "MKX" character while still retaining his core design?

It's been a while since I've played him, but what do the rest of you guys think his main problems are?

- Anti-airing seems fine for the most part in Dragon Fangs. U1/2 is good for blowing up crossover jumps but can be lacking against certain forward jump ins. In this instance d1, d3/d4 can actually be useful, or ex fang spin in DF. Maybe d2 could be a bit faster to help the other variations?
- Pressure is quite good, but due to the nature of armour most times you're pressuring it's still a hard read. (I think this is one of the core things holding Goro back. No gameplan that FORCES respect completely). It can give characters with slower pokes a hard time, but in a game where the threat of launching armour exists every time you're +2, you won't always be able to force respect.
- He more or less destroys conventional counter poke meta, but can also be armoured if predictable when cancelling pokes into PW outside of d4 at that specific range it jails. Also a core of Goro's design, but not as forceful as tools other characters have.
- D4 is good with decent hit advantage, but still only really jails into a neg situation at closish range (f3, f3xxPW) unless you want to cancel f3 into EX low stab. Not the end of the world, but maybe a slightly more plus d4 could up his overall game a little more.
- s1 and s2 are 10f, making contesting run ins slightly less reaction and more intuition. I tend to contest run ins quite a bit with DF 121, but I can't imagine this is an easy task in the other variations (since they have no disjointed hitbox). It could be OD having these be much faster, since they lead to +2, but maybe bringing them to 9f could help ever so slightly in this department.
- f3 is great, but as a whiff punish tool can be a bit too slow. F2 buff suggested by Ryan would help this greatly. F2 would also give access to a useful stagger string, which I think is the best way to give him "MKX" offense. It could be a little crazy based on the rest of his design, but I'd certainly welcome it. Perhaps if this string is buffed, the launching ender should only juggle enough to get d1 SG for example so it's not too nuts in the corner. Cancel into EX PW should be how he gets real damage from stagger potential imo.
- Goro's air game is super weak, j4 to me is his only useable normal. With that in mind, Goro doesn't deserve a strong air game imo so this weakness should stay as is.
- Cmd grab whiffs like an absolute mofo, some hitbox improvements would be great here. Even at the cost of 1-2f start up I would take a better hitbox. Right now it whiffs quite a bit and can lead to being punished when you suspect it'll connect (particularly against females)

I'm sure there's more, but I these are the more poignant issues that come to mind. Feel free to expand on this/correct me where I'm wrong. :)
The best way I can describe Goro is a rushdown character with limited rushdown options. No true jailing pressure, all good staggers are highs or slow mids with 0 mix ups.

thlityoursloat

kick kick
What's wrong with his rushdown? It feels very reminiscent to Jax pressure, only his low/oh game is weaker at the expense of being safer and having more + strings.

Alright RyRy

Florida Kombat
What's wrong with his rushdown? It feels very reminiscent to Jax pressure, only his low/oh game is weaker at the expense of being safer and having more + strings.
any player in my opinion would be way more scared of Jax getting in than Goro.

I was thinking about his last night, Goro is considered a rushdown character, I am pretty sure we all agree on that. With that being said, he might be the worst rushdown character. (Not the worst character in the game)

thlityoursloat

kick kick
any player in my opinion would be way more scared of Jax getting in than Goro.

I was thinking about his last night, Goro is considered a rushdown character, I am pretty sure we all agree on that. With that being said, he might be the worst rushdown character. (Not the worst character in the game)
His stagger game is really good though, plus he gets to check you all day long with d1/d1 punchwalks and d4/d4 punchwalks.
I'm not an expert Goro player but all the footage I've seen with destroyer, it seems like Goro can be a serious force to be reckoned with.

Alright RyRy

Florida Kombat
His stagger game is really good though, plus he gets to check you all day long with d1/d1 punchwalks and d4/d4 punchwalks.
I'm not an expert Goro player but all the footage I've seen with destroyer, it seems like Goro can be a serious force to be reckoned with.
His stagger game is not good, if you are good at counter poking and amoring thru special canceled pokes it makes the Goro player very hesitant to commit to D1xPW so I would have to do D1xEXPW.

Also Goros stagger game consists of 11 B12 then d1 other than that everything is a high, or if I wanted to be a mid, it may not reach or get low profiled, or just get beat because they are slow.

thlityoursloat

kick kick
His stagger game is not good, if you are good at counter poking and amoring thru special canceled pokes it makes the Goro player very hesitant to commit to D1xPW so I would have to do D1xEXPW.

Also Goros stagger game consists of 11 B12 then d1 other than that everything is a high, or if I wanted to be a mid, it may not reach or get low profiled, or just get beat because they are slow.
Doesn't d4 punchwalk jail?