What's new

POST-Starfire Joker MU Chart

Vengeance135

Saltiest Joker Player
Hey guys,

I was asked to update my chart so I'm doing just that. This is my thoughts now with the release of starfire.

I'm making this chart to show where joker stands (in my personal opinion at least), as well as, open up discussion about what some people may or may not know they can or can't do against joker.

In will give a brief description of the main reasons I feel these are the way they are. Further discussion can take place in the thread below

Again this is MY PERSONAL OPINION and this list is made UNDER THE ASSUMPTION the player versing the joker KNOWS THE MU. Delayed wake ups do have a HUGE NEGATIVE impact on jokers corner game as well.

So let's get this started:

Atrocitus 4-6 Atrocitus favor: Atrocitus has great normals and strings, most forward advancing, and beat out jokers neutral. While trait is active, much like others, Joker has no response to the atrocitus pressure outside of pushblock and parry. Parry is super risky though cause if baited, ggs.

Aquaman 6-4 joker's favor: this MU is pretty simple now. Joker outcomes aquaman, controls space better and ultimately forces aquaman to play jokers game.

Poison ivy 4-6 Ivy favor: she can keep joker out efficiently, has better normals, pressure and bully him on wake up. His saving grace, she has no reliable wake ups other then delayed wake up but joker can work around that.

Deadshot 3-7 or worse Deadshot's favor: very simple, all he has to do is zone. Jokers close, b1 pressure or even wait until joker touches him, pushblock the blocked attack and joker has to do it all over again. Due to Deadshot's great wake up mixed with delayed wake up, Joker can't really bully deadshot in the corner.

Cheetah 4-6 Cheetah's favor: realistically I want to say it's worse but I can't. The biggest problem in this MU is so much of jokers stuff whiffs on her. If stuff didn't whiff on her 5-5 for sure. She can bully joker on wake up free, lunge attacks, if anticipated, can beat jokers jumps or trade. She gets one clean hit and joker has to chase her the entire match.

Grodd 6-4 Jokers favor: joker does an excellent job of keeping grodd out. Grodd can bully joker on wake up and with trait active, gun shot is useless, making a forward approach a bit more manageable.

Superman 3-7 Supermans favor: superman beats joker at every part of the screen period. He just can't do it brainlessly. Superman can also punish things other characters can't (like crowbar.)

Red Hood 4-6 Red hoods favor: I actually use red hood on the side as well. Red hood is basically a better joker.

Batman 4-6 Batmans favor. Batman's trait IS the highlight as to why joker loses this MU.

Harley Quinn 5-5 the compete equally at all parts of the screen in my experience and the MU is pretty momentum based as well.

Green Lantern 4-6 Lanterns favor: Lantern has a better neutral, easier safe pressure and overall better normals.

Flash 4-6 Flash favor: on top of jokers whiff issues that severely effect this MU, the flash out damages joker and can dictate how joker plays due to jokers genuine unsafeness. He also obliterates joker on knock down and his D2 prevents joker from even trying to jump.

Catwoman 4-6 Catwoman favor: everything about this MU is still annoying. Most of jokers tools whiff on her, he can't bully her on wake up or in the corner. Her b3 low profiles more then half of jokers tools and her walk speed is insane. She still beats joker everywhere.

Cyborg 5-5: to me, this MU feels a lot like a whoever gets the first hit can dictate how it's going to go kind of thing.

Swamp Thing: 6-4 Jokers Favor, I personally think swamp thing has a better close quarters game vs joker but jokers zoning is pretty efficient in this MU.

Supergirl 3-7 Supergirl favor: her mobility is insane vs joker. Her D2 is amazing in this fight. She gets him in the corner and it's a gg. Joker has no real counter to her corner pressure other then pushblock but since joker has fast or reliable normals. She can keep joker in the corner and in check once he's there. Joker can't zone efficiently either do to her teleport and she outdamages joker now.

Green Arrow HARD 4-6 Arrows favor: I want to say this is worse but I'm stubborn. Arrow can outzone joker easy. Doesn't have to really worry about jokers setups and he wins the sky.

Dr Fate 3-7 or worse Dr Fates favor: this is the Zod/Joker MU of injustice 2. I want to say 2-8 but if joker can get that first hit, Joker can have a chance. A slim chance, nonetheless a fighting chance. I didn't believe it until Bdon and I played.

Blue Beetle 4-6 beetles favor: beetle can control space very well on a health lead. He has a good wake up vs joker and in the corner can like joker up with flight cancels mixed with his overhead low. Joker has to be patient and efficient if he wants to win this one. Also beetles trait does a phenomal job keeping joker out and out of the skies.

Firestorm 4-6 firestorm favor: he controls space way better then joker can and joker pretty much has to chase him around. I can be more specific then this, just ask though. im getting tired of typing lol

Black Canary 5-5: in my opinion, Joker has the tools to keep her out effectively. Of course, Joker had to be smart about it because if she gets in, goodbye health bar, but this is one of those MU's that I feel joker can control space fairly well for the duration of the Match. She annihilates him on wake up though and out damages him.

Darkseid 4-6 Darkseids favor. Darkseid can zone effectively, and rush joker down just as bad. Darkseid has a great wake up tool and, with trait out especially, Joker has to win by making good reads and capitalizing any mistakes made by darkseid. His damage is amazing per confirm.

Wonder Woman 3-7 wonder woman favor: she doesn't need to deal with jokers zoning, she doesn't need to deal with is setups, she outranges him and in the corner, she can abuse him with so much. Her neutral is out of his league in this MU.

Black Adam 4-6 Black Adams favor: with the nerfs black Adam received to damage and trait, joker can compete a bit more. Adam still has a stronger neutral and outdamages joker. He also can maneuver around jokers zoning as well. jokers way to win, corner him and keep him there or pray they can't block the setups.

Captain cold 5-5: this is another MU that I feel is dictated on whoever gets the first hit.

Robin 4-6 Robins favor: robin outranges joker, out damages joker and obliterates joker in the corner. Joker can't zone robin for a long period of time due to robin's trait batarangs, the blue one and yellow one. Once cornered robin can abuse trait and his range while joker pretty much holds it.

Scarecrow 4-6 Crows favor: crow outranges joker, has a stronger neutral and, once corners joker, annihiliates him. Jokers best way to win is run, whiff punish and stay out of the corner.

Bane 4-6 Banes favor: banes armor nullifies set up potential period. Joker has to rely on running away and not getting cornered or knocked down.

Brainiac- 4-6 brainiacs favor. This one's pretty simple. Brainiac owns the sky with his mobility, high priority dive kick and jump mixs. He out damages joker, outranges joker and trait helps him ignore jokers zoning and get in.

Starfire 3-7 (possibly worse) Starfires favor: another simple one. She outdamages joker, outzones joker, has strong wakeups, great range, powerful trait. I mean she just dumps on joker. This mu is a joke lol

Sub-Zero- due to the split within the joker community and the never-ending argument I'm choosing not to put it down lol

Let me know what you guys think!

Last edited:

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Joker's bottom 5 but I highly doubt he is this bad lol. I'll go down the list.

Atro: I agree

Aqua: I agree

Cheetah: I disagree. I think Joker does really well in keeping her out in this matchup and can keep her locked down fairly easy. His D2 also outranges all of her tools except F3. I know Revet and Circus both have this in Joker's favor as well.

Flash- I feel like this is probably closer to 5-5. Joker can control space well with gun shots and Flashes wakeup isn't good enough to deal with Joker's oki. Joker also greatly outfootsies Flash. I will say Flash's up close game is probably enough to keep it at 5-5.

Darkseid- I don't believe this is close to 3-7. Darkseid's rushdown is not good lol. Most of his stuff is minus and his neutral without trait is garbage. Joker can trade with lasers all day and his D2 can easily stuff any air teleports and he has tools to stuff the ground teleport (like holding the gunshot and backdashing out of it instead). The damage probably makes it at least 4-6 in Darkseid's favor, but 7-3 is too much imo

Edit: I don't have experience in a lot of the other matchups so I won't comment on them for now.

UserJuke

Noob
For some reason I have so much trouble with Joker of he manages to get in on me. i end up in what seems like an endless teeth vortex, and I have no idea how to escape it. I know everyone says hes bottom tier, but I have more issues with him in my face than I do batman lol. Probably just because I face 1 Joker for every 100 batman players tbh. i do agree Arrow wins the matchup big time with zoning, very easy to out zone and just jump back arrow him in the fave when he jumps. Savage blast is great for getting away from jump ins too.

Vengeance135

Saltiest Joker Player

Cheetah: I disagree. I think Joker does really well in keeping her out in this matchup and can keep her locked down fairly easy. His D2 also outranges all of her tools except F3. I know Revet and Circus both have this in Joker's favor as well.

Flash- I feel like this is probably closer to 5-5. Joker can control space well with gun shots and Flashes wakeup isn't good enough to deal with Joker's oki. Joker also greatly outfootsies Flash. I will say Flash's up close game is probably enough to keep it at 5-5.

Darkseid- I don't believe this is close to 3-7. Darkseid's rushdown is not good lol. Most of his stuff is minus and his neutral without trait is garbage. Joker can trade with lasers all day and his D2 can easily stuff any air teleports and he has tools to stuff the ground teleport (like holding the gunshot and backdashing out of it instead). The damage probably makes it at least 4-6 in Darkseid's favor, but 7-3 is too much imo

Edit: I don't have experience in a lot of the other matchups so I won't comment on them for now.
Thanks for the comment! The Darkseid number is a mistake. I started copying and pasting go save myself time. 4-6 darkseid, I'll fix it lol

As far as flash goes, whiffing issues vs flash paired with jokers inability to jump in because of flashes godlike d2 doesn't allow joker many options of opening him up. While flash can get in and actually apply pressure. Gun shot doesn't keep flash out very long, maybe 2 or 3 dash ins from flash and he's in kill range where any wrong my by joker blows him up. Joker relies on heavy reads and stray hits a lot in this MU. Joker knocks down flash and a delayed wake up messes up jokers timing on teeth setups and enables a block to pushblock, putting joker in neutral, where he suffers. If you know jokers setups, depending on the ender, they aren't plus so you can actually follow up. 4-6 is very reasonable for what flashes options are vs joker.

The main problem with the Cheetah MU is the whiffing issues. Paired with if she can get a hit on you, she can actually run away from joker and make him chase her down. Joker can control space for a short period of time in this MU but his damage is going off of reads. Throwing out anything unsafe against her is telling her to have your health bar. The risks joker has to take for almost no reward (whiffing over her) aren't justifiable to even say it's even, let alone he beats her. If they patch jokers whiffing issues, I'm confident he will win against her 6-4. Until then, she has the advantage.

Thanks again!

Vengeance135

Saltiest Joker Player
For some reason I have so much trouble with Joker of he manages to get in on me. i end up in what seems like an endless teeth vortex, and I have no idea how to escape it. I know everyone says hes bottom tier, but I have more issues with him in my face than I do batman lol. Probably just because I face 1 Joker for every 100 batman players tbh. i do agree Arrow wins the matchup big time with zoning, very easy to out zone and just jump back arrow him in the fave when he jumps. Savage blast is great for getting away from jump ins too.
Lol I understand. Joker can be a handful if you don't have enough MU experience.
I'm not sure if you are on ps4 or not but if so, add me if you want to learn about the Joker. He is way more tolerable when you know how to deal with him.

PSN Vengeance135

UserJuke

Noob
Lol I understand. Joker can be a handful if you don't have enough MU experience.
I'm not sure if you are on ps4 or not but if so, add me if you want to learn about the Joker. He is way more tolerable when you know how to deal with him.

PSN Vengeance135
Cool. Ill be back on my ps4 sometime later this week and Ill add you. Might be playing more sub zero thos week though haha.

Vengeance135

Saltiest Joker Player

I fixed the darkseid thing lol. Thanks again for catching that and for being hella respectful in your response. Let me know if there's something I may have missed in any of those MU's that could help me lol

Vengeance135

Saltiest Joker Player
Agreed on Ivy. I feel maybe canary could wi but I need more exp so I'll agree with 5-5 for now
Not gonna lie, I felt canary would win at first but if the Joker player could manage her trait bar and read her moves and use his range, he could keep her in check. But I'm always open to discussion. There could always be something I'm missing or I don't know that could make it a different MU lol

Yoaks

A spaceman
What does WW do exactly that makes it 7-3 her favor? There's not a range where I actually feel comfortable.

Vengeance135

Saltiest Joker Player
What does WW do exactly that makes it 7-3 her favor? There's not a range where I actually feel comfortable.
She doesn't have to deal with his zoning at all (braces), he can't jump on her cause of her crazy good d2, much like the other small hurtbox characters, there's a lot of whiffing issues against her, b2 lasso of truth thing (I forget what it's called) keeps him on check from trying to come in (don't abuse this too much because b2 is parriable), and she basically can walk him in the corner and if she's in b2 range she can wait and react to him. Air Shield toss, b2 lasso of truth thing and d2 literally keep him in the corner. The only thing that he can do is try to get her in d2 range and try to do d2 cancels but most are unsafe and easily reactable. There's really no place in the screen he's a viable threat if you know the MU. Her overall neutral is just better then his. If I'm missing something or don't know anything I could do against please tell me lol

Vengeance135

Saltiest Joker Player
Also, if joker tries to mb out the corner, it puts him right behind you and due to the recovery of mb roll you can start applying pressure right away or throw him in the corner if he doesn't expect it.

Yoaks

A spaceman
She doesn't have to deal with his zoning at all (braces), he can't jump on her cause of her crazy good d2, much like the other small hurtbox characters, there's a lot of whiffing issues against her, b2 lasso of truth thing (I forget what it's called) keeps him on check from trying to come in (don't abuse this too much because b2 is parriable), and she basically can walk him in the corner and if she's in b2 range she can wait and react to him. Air Shield toss, b2 lasso of truth thing and d2 literally keep him in the corner. The only thing that he can do is try to get her in d2 range and try to do d2 cancels but most are unsafe and easily reactable. There's really no place in the screen he's a viable threat if you know the MU. Her overall neutral is just better then his. If I'm missing something or don't know anything I could do against please tell me lol
I've only played the mu 5 times or so in ranked. So I obviously don't have a whole lot of experience. I'm not 100% if she can actually parry his gun shot or not.

I haven't had success anti airing his jump in. WW's d2 is good but it being 13f and Joker's range on his jump ins along with the arch he has. It's tough to keep him from jumping on reaction.

Vengeance135

Saltiest Joker Player
I've only played the mu 5 times or so in ranked. So I obviously don't have a whole lot of experience. I'm not 100% if she can actually parry his gun shot or not.

I haven't had success anti airing his jump in. WW's d2 is good but it being 13f and Joker's range on his jump ins along with the arch he has. It's tough to keep him from jumping on reaction.
Her braces for sure work on gun shot, as well as high canister, even the mb version... which sucks lol so that should help you and the only jump that you could possibly have trouble with is his jump 3 but at the very worse, it will trade unless you were completely late on your timing. His j3 hurtbox starts at the tip of the crowbar which is hella stupid in my opinion. The problem with jokers jump arc is its low. Her b2 can actually slap him out the sky. My salt level increases exponentially when that happens lol for her it's actually easier for her to deal with his jump ins due to b2. Joker has no good forward advancing strings and his only 2 ranged attack are really unsafe (d3,d2). She can properly space him out.

What I'm noticing within the community is a lot of people are hesitate to fight joker due to unfamiliarity. Unfamiliarity plus nervousness vs joker generally resorts in him blowing you up. Once you get comfortable in the MU you will for sure see how easy he is to deal with, especially when using wonder woman.

Might I add that in the corner, on knock down, delayed wake up, push block and even her vertical wake up avoids or nullifies his corner game as well. Me and a fellow joker player tested the timing of his low overhead vortex setups and if the overhead and low are too close in frames the game will automatically block it for your or nullify it. So it's not going to be an unblockable, more like an earth shaker.

And if for some reason I sound like a jerk or anything please let me know. Apparently I unintentionally give people the idea I'm being a jerk and I really don't mean it like that lol

I could definitely see your points in all of these MU's you just discussed. However, I have to disagree with some parts of the Flash MU part.

Controlling space well with gunshots is kind of an exaggeration here. Flash can easily running man stance, run, and close the space pretty easily.

I agree. Flash's wakeup is definitely not good enough to deal with Joker's oki. However, like Vegeneance said, delayed wakeup is a universal anti-oki against Joker (although we can deal with this with teeth 112. So I'm not gonna press the issue too hard because it's simply an extra read we have to make).

Footsies are definitely in Joker's favor. However, when Flash gets in, it's pretty much game over. You can bully us on knockdown for days. Only option we have is to either backdash (which gets chased by some normals) or delayed wakeup (which, for Flash, can easily be countered by neutral Jump into 50/50 again)

In everything I just said, I'd say the most important thing that dictates this matchup is how Flash can literally murder Joker on knockdown now. Our counter options to this are very weak, and we can only guess for so long. As much as I do agree that it is semi-difficult to get in (because Joker footsies > Flash footsies) I'd definitely say the reward payout is much more in Flash's favor.

Vengeance135

Saltiest Joker Player
I could definitely see your points in all of these MU's you just discussed. However, I have to disagree with some parts of the Flash MU part.

Controlling space well with gunshots is kind of an exaggeration here. Flash can easily running man stance, run, and close the space pretty easily.

I agree. Flash's wakeup is definitely not good enough to deal with Joker's oki. However, like Vegeneance said, delayed wakeup is a universal anti-oki against Joker (although we can deal with this with teeth 112. So I'm not gonna press the issue too hard because it's simply an extra read we have to make).

Footsies are definitely in Joker's favor. However, when Flash gets in, it's pretty much game over. You can bully us on knockdown for days. Only option we have is to either backdash (which gets chased by some normals) or delayed wakeup (which, for Flash, can easily be countered by neutral Jump into 50/50 again)

In everything I just said, I'd say the most important thing that dictates this matchup is how Flash can literally murder Joker on knockdown now. Our counter options to this are very weak, and we can only guess for so long. As much as I do agree that it is semi-difficult to get in (because Joker footsies > Flash footsies) I'd definitely say the reward payout is much more in Flash's favor.
Ayyyy what's up!!!

Making this a little brief:
When Wonder Woman gets in, her normals bullies Joker into the ground. Instant air shield toss and regular toss at further ranges. B2 and regular whip to cover closer ranges (that still outfootsies every Joker normal and covers/punishes Joker if he jumps in). D2 (that also outranges Joker's D2) that covers both horizontal and vertical movement.

Only place Joker competes is full screen.

Note: Yes, I know this sounds super extreme, but I'm 100% serious. Wonder Woman annihilates Joker in footsies to the point where he can literally only block and hope to get a punish or lucky jump in.

Also, I saw your other post on troubles anti-airing Joker. Here are some tips
1. Establish your dominace in footsies with B2 and walk back regular whip.
2. Place yourself in a range either at Joker's max jumping range or a little further

I totally understand the troubles in anti-airing with a 13 frame D2, however, if you space it properly, it'll counter Joker's jump ins 100% of the time. Another reason why it's so effective is because you already control the footsie category, so a lot of Joker players will like to Jump because they realize D2 or D3 doesn't beat you out. So make sure you got that spacing on point.

Hopefully this clarified some stuff. Comment again if you disagree or have any more questions. Thanks!

Vengeance135

Saltiest Joker Player
When Wonder Woman gets in, her normals bullies Joker into the ground. Instant air shield toss and regular toss at further ranges. B2 and regular whip to cover closer ranges (that still outfootsies every Joker normal and covers/punishes Joker if he jumps in). D2 (that also outranges Joker's D2) that covers both horizontal and vertical movement.

Note: Yes, I know this sounds super extreme, but I'm 100% serious. Wonder Woman annihilates Joker in footsies to the point where he can literally only block and hope to get a punish or lucky jump in.

2. Place yourself in a range either at Joker's max jumping range or a little further

I totally understand the troubles in anti-airing with a 13 frame D2, however, if you space it properly, it'll counter Joker's jump ins 100% of the time. Another reason why it's so effective is because you already control the footsie category, so a lot of Joker players will like to Jump because they realize D2 or D3 doesn't beat you out. So make sure you got that spacing on point.

Hopefully this clarified some stuff. Comment again if you disagree or have any more questions. Thanks!
Don't for get B2 is a viable anti-air vs jokers small jump arc!!!!!

Yoaks

A spaceman

I can't really disagree or even argue. I've only have fought Joker about 5 or so times. Mainly asking what she can do. So thanks to you and @Vengeance135 for the tips.