What's new

Post-Patch Jade Emerald Defender matchups

John_NX

Your circumstances are dire!
Hello Glortor and Jade community. I highly disagree with some of your MU values.
First of all:
Baraka in my opinion is a 5-5. Why? If he tries to F4, her B2 checks him 8/10 times and you win the neutral. Her glow avoids his zoning and you are also free to zone him. The only good thing baraka has is his damage and staggers. Which is what makes it a 5-5.

Cetrion 5-5. It's not as bad as you make it sound. You can play it safe and ALWAYS react to her zoning or geyser. The only thing you have to fear is her ground Vines. Just play good neutral and everything will be fine. Even though I think Jaded does better than ED.

Cassie -I agree.

Dvorah 5-5(?). Not a lot of experience but you gotta play patiently and bait teleports. I don't know why she loses neutral control as you claim but as I said in the baraka MU, her B2 covers so much space that even if dvorah tries to F2 you can punish her. Poke game is also even between those two. You just gotta zone less.

Erron - I'd say it's a 5-5 only if you play patiently and smart.

Jacqui - Just zone more with BF1 to catch yolo dashpunchs.

Kabal - Not sure if I agree or not

Kotal - Why is she at a disadvantage? Her B2 checks him 9/10 times and you WILL win the neutral. You can easily zone him out and react to anything.

Nightwolf, I think it's a 5-5 but he does outdamage Jade a lot.

People are going to say that Jade mains downplay her because of how strong she is against people who can't deal with projectiles. There's a reason why zoners are hated by inexperienced even when they are garbage (which I don't think is Jade's case, even tho I still think she is on the weaker side).

My main problem with Jade is that her strings are unsafe for no reason when you have characters like Shang Tsung with a ton of strings to work with and Sonya not only tons of strings but also good normals.

I agree with most of the match ups. I think she is even against Noob Saibot and has a slight advantage x Kotal and Kitana.

Jade is not the best zoner. Some zoners have better normals, better strings, teleports and ways to push you back with their projectiles. Jade low damage creates a situation where you can dominate 2/3 of a match, but in the moment someone closes the gap, you're done for cause you don't have many tools to get away. That can be said to zoners in general, but they haver better tools to keep their opponents away or escape pressure. The thing with Jade is, if your opponent knows their shit, they will get to you with no problem.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
People are going to say that Jade mains downplay her because of how strong she is against people who can't deal with projectiles. There's a reason why zoners are
If someone can't deal with projectiles in this game idk what to say. Even if you don't have your own zoning tools or a teleport or an advancing mid (which character doesn't have one of those?) you can just block, duck, and advance.
It's literal dishonesty to call Jade's zoning anything but passable especially compared to shang sonya liu or especially cetrion all of whom just destroy Jade if she's trying to play pure zoner.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
Punishing it is definitely possible as I have been punished for it, it's just not a 10/10 on reaction type of thing obviously
I'm sure punishing it is possible and if the jade makes things hard to see coming with multiple options it might even be a hard read to punish glow but I don't think that's the issue.
I don't feel Jade players should be throwing out Glow to get punished. Like some jade players have stated its a punishable move with 44-56(verdicts still out on recovery + start) Shouldn't the Jade be waiting for a projectile to come hurling towards her to activate glow in the first place? I mean she can use it to react to the majority of projectiles.
I played against a pretty good Jade the other day and he/she never used glow in neutral but used it to counter my buzzsaws on reaction which forced me to come in closer. (I use Mean Streak)

Anyways Glow should not be a factor in the Kabal vs Jade MU imo

LawAbidingCitizen

Might be relevant to mention Sonic has picked up Jaded and has done multiple FT10's with very high level players beating:
Kombat, Semijj, Foxy, Deoxys and going nearly even with NinjaKilla's Liu Kang.

Foxy using (Nightwolf)

The rest where in stream so I don't have them on hand. The way he uses Jade should be accounted for in your MU numbers even though he is using Jaded.

Note: most of her unsafe strings are made safe with the threat of Amped Nitro Kick after Cancel being +3 on block so every string can be +3 including F2/B1/B2/12/21/B3/B343 and so on.

I know this is for ED jade but I'm sure some of it applies. For instance Sonic rarely uses Glow outside of advantage and reaction to projectiles, he is using all the same tools other than Cancel pressure and his spacing is godlike.

Last edited:

thebus99

Noob
People are going to say that Jade mains downplay her because of how strong she is against people who can't deal with projectiles. There's a reason why zoners are hated by inexperienced even when they are garbage (which I don't think is Jade's case, even tho I still think she is on the weaker side).

My main problem with Jade is that her strings are unsafe for no reason when you have characters like Shang Tsung with a ton of strings to work with and Sonya not only tons of strings but also good normals.

I agree with most of the match ups. I think she is even against Noob Saibot and has a slight advantage x Kotal and Kitana.

Jade is not the best zoner. Some zoners have better normals, better strings, teleports and ways to push you back with their projectiles. Jade low damage creates a situation where you can dominate 2/3 of a match, but in the moment someone closes the gap, you're done for cause you don't have many tools to get away. That can be said to zoners in general, but they haver better tools to keep their opponents away or escape pressure. The thing with Jade is, if your opponent knows their shit, they will get to you with no problem.
[/QUOT
not true at all its actually the opposite i Beat jades for the most part but no other character you need to be full try hard or youll lose this character can for the most part do yolo shit and enough with the "low damage" she gets decent damage like what do you want? 30 percent bnbs please bro. jade is good and shuts down a ton of characters enough with the downplay its disgusting

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Might be relevant to mention Sonic has picked up Jaded and has done multiple FT10's with very high level players beating:
Kombat, Semijj, Foxy, Deoxys and going nearly even with NinjaKilla's Liu Kang.

Foxy using (Nightwolf)

The rest where in stream so I don't have them on hand. The way he uses Jade should be accounted for in your MU numbers even though he is using Jaded.

Note: most of her unsafe strings are made safe with the threat of Amped Nitro Kick after Cancel being +3 on block so every string can be +3 including F2/B1/B2/12/21/B3/B343 and so on.

I know this is for ED jade but I'm sure some of it applies. For instance Sonic rarely uses Glow outside of advantage and reaction to projectiles, he is using all the same tools other than Cancel pressure and his spacing is godlike.
Nice find. Probably better to post in the Jaded thread though. He didn't play a second of Emerald Defender.

LawAbidingCitizen

Nice find. Probably better to post in the Jaded thread though. He didn't play a second of Emerald Defender.
Haven't seen any vids but I've heard on twitter he is using both. He prefers jaded because if his Rushdown style liking turn stealing characters but yeah.
He is using both but hasn't made ED vids public. I think if you are Subbed to his twitch you can see the Vids of him teaching subscribers how to play footsie optimally and the ED FT10's.
The Neutral Twitch videos are very important. I watched him keep Deoxys out with D4 alone using Cassie and was telling him to look at his videos and believe it or not Deoxys said I'll look at them and do my best to improve. All this was live but I don't have access to the permanent clips because I'm not subbed.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Haven't seen any vids but I've heard on twitter he is using both. He prefers jaded because if his Rushdown style liking turn stealing characters but yeah.
He is using both but hasn't made ED vids public. I think if you are Subbed to his twitch you can see the Vids of him teaching subscribers how to play footsie optimally and the ED FT10's.
The Neutral Twitch videos are very important. I watched him keep Deoxys out with D4 alone using Cassie and was telling him to look at his videos and believe it or not Deoxys said I'll look at them and do my best to improve. All this was live but I don't have access to the permanent clips because I'm not subbed.
I'm not subbed either and as someone who lives in a third world country where I have to keep track of my expenses, I'm not going to be either.
Thing is, though, a high level player will always play characters at a high level. Trying to learn from Sonic Fox is well and good but I'm fairly sure nothing I do will be as good as him, simply because this game is his profession and he's the best player in the world while I have an hour or two every other day to play this.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I'm not subbed either and as someone who lives in a third world country where I have to keep track of my expenses, I'm not going to be either.
Thing is, though, a high level player will always play characters at a high level. Trying to learn from Sonic Fox is well and good but I'm fairly sure nothing I do will be as good as him, simply because this game is his profession and he's the best player in the world while I have an hour or two every other day to play this.
This doesn't stop you from noticing things that are good about his gameplan, and learning from his overall approach to MUs.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
This doesn't stop you from noticing things that are good about his gameplan, and learning from his overall approach to MUs.
I'm actually fighting some good players when I can manage to. Gleez romping on my Jade with his Scorpion made me faceroll most Lolpions in Ranked. Best way to learn is to do and observe.