What's new

Post-Patch Jade Emerald Defender matchups

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Baraka - Disadvantaged
Baraka has F44 which allows him to safely cover space and deal more damage to Jade in one single touch than Jade does all match to him.
Jade's T-rex d1 means that if Baraka gets in her face and knows how to space his offense, she'll be too slow to use d4 and won't be able to d1 or d3.

Cetrion - Absolute Disadvantage
Cetrion destroys Jade. Her air beams catch most Air Glaive angles and she can teleport on reaction to any of Jade's zoning. Her fullscreen low and teleport are two options she can successfully respond to Glow with, and all she has to do against Jade is run away and zone. Once Cetrion is near the corner at an optimal range, she'll teleport out and zone away. Jade has to struggle to get in, and she has no good answer against Geyser because of Glow's 56f total inertia. Jade's best bet in this matchup is immense patience and attempting to deal more chip to Cetrion than the other way around. Cetrion's Fatal Blow and Vines both ignore Glow for some reason.

Cassie - Even
A game of cat and mouse, Cassie does well never to get out of sweep range vs. Jade. If Jade manages to gain ground. Cassie will find it equally difficult to get in on her as it is for Jade to keep her out. An honest, even matchup where neither side has a definitive upper hand.

D'Vorah - Heavily Disadvantaged
D'Vorah controls all of Jade's space and once she's in the corner, Jade is literally helpless against her setups. Not only does Jade have to rush her down due to the fact that D'Vorah's teleport punishes all of her zoning, but she also has to make sure it's not her back to the corner.

Erron - Heavily Disadvantaged
Erron's B2 string completely dominates Jade's space. Despite it being the same 11f as her B3, B2 actually hits earlier and it leads to actual combo damage unlike B3. Jade has a huge leverage fullscreen but Erron can punish Glow if she doesn't use it very carefully. While Jade wins the zoning war, She's incapable of punishing Erron properly and she takes a multitude of the damage she can deal to him on a single touch.

Frost - Even
Frost now has a decent mid and now she stands a fair chance against Jade. Her pressure is better while Jade zones better, though the high bombs make zoning a bit tedious and dangerous. Once in, Jade has a fair chance of poking out and regaining her ground but Frost rules the mid-range far better than Jade does and she actually deals damage unlike Jade.

Geras - Absolute Disadvantage
Jade has little to no chance to win any poke wars vs Geras' 6f D1 and low sand trap. She can't keep Geras out effectively, she can't pressure Geras on Oki and she is incapable of dealing enough damage to contest a single touch from Geras. Her only chance is running away all match, and if the player knows the exact ranges of the sand traps, possibly avoid them. But Geras will get in and then it's a matter of guessing right and scratching him or guessing wrong and losing one third to one half of her healthbar.

Jade - Jaded
Matchup - Even
Glow makes it a chore to fight Jaded, but luckily the character doesn't beat itself consistently. whoever secures a life lead will win this one.

Jacqui - Disadvantage
Jacqui WILL get in and that's when the pain starts. Jade's movement speed matters most in this matchup as she can move back away from Jacqui's offense.

Jax - Even
Cat and mouse game at its finest. The Jade player struggles to get out while Jax struggles to get in.

Johnny - Even
Johnny is just like her daughter in this regard. Jade struggles to keep him out, he struggles to get in. Unfortunately there is not much either side can do to flip this matchup in their favour. They're both fairly bad.

Kabal - Heavily Disadvantaged
Kabal's normals beat Jades at all ranges. Jade cannot d4 at range because Kabal beats it out and his jumping punch catches Jade from outside Sweep range out of the air for a full combo conversion so Air Glaives aren't safe to use either. His zoning is the same and he can full-combo punish Glow at full screen with Nomad Dash if Jade tries to activate it without scoring a knockdown first. Jade may win the long range battle if Glow is timed with some luck, but once Kabal gets in, it's over. His Fatal Blow turns Jade into a sitting duck, too.

Kano - Slight Advantage
Kano is just as risky as Jade is and he has the tools to punish her zoning and get in on her. While it's not as tedious as against Jax, it's still not a winning matchup for Jade.

Kitana - Even
This matchup plays surprisingly like the mk9 matchup did. Whoever gains ground, wins round. Kitana is Jade's equal in every regard, though she does much more damage, but has to get in to do it.

Kollector - Not enough experience to tell right now

Kotal - Slight Disadvantage
Kotal's buffs make him a formidable opponent. Jade can't move freely against him and he has the tools to shut her down, but once she gains her ground and some life lead, she can win the round.

Kung Lao - Even
He deals substantial damage with his combos but Jade can poke out of his pressure. His teleport and divekick make him un-anti-airable and he's capable of securing a life lead fairly well, but Jade can space him out. He has a fairly dangerous Fatal Blow to watch out for.

Liu - Absolute Disadvantage.
Jade struggles in this matchup, but currently most do. He can punish Glow with Flying Kick, has better zoning and F43 ggthx.

Noob Saibot - Slight Disadvantage
Zoner vs Zoner boredom. He can punish Glow and zoning with Teleport so Jade has to be careful, especially since Noob deals extremely more damage on a single touch than Jade can come back from.

Raiden - Even
Raiden can run away from Jade all match with his teleport and zoning, punish Glow and be a general nuisance. Luckily, Jade can both zone and rush him down as well as handle his subpar pressure rather well.
He has to rely on Jade's unsafety and his space control to win this match, while Jade will have to catch him for some well deserved chip damage.

Scorpion - Disadvantage
Jade has to play Scorpion's game and be very careful in this matchup. It's not unwinnable but it's still difficult for her.

Shao - Slight Advantage
He does more damage and has the means to get in on her. Hammer jump punishes raw Glow. This is probably the easiest matchup for Jade, though, as she can d2 punish the hammer toss pressure on reaction.

Skarlet - Disadvantage
Skarlet has superior zoning and a teleport to bypass Jade's unsafe zoning with on reaction. Tentacle ignores Glow for some reason, so Jade struggles to achieve anything a bit like against Cetrion, though Skarlet is not as difficult to beat.

Sonya - Absolute Disadvantage
Drone Drop ignores Glow, her zoning is superior and upclose one mistake is instant death. Jade struggles against Sonya as badly as Cetrion.

Sub-Zero - Disadvantage
This matchup is a matter of who gains a life lead. Slide punishes Glow and Sub gains that life lead easier. Jade has to both keep him out, read his 50/50 if he's in and watch out not to get frozen and blown up full screen.

Shang Tsung - Absolute Disadvantage
Superior zoning, damage and Corpse Drop ignoring Glow make this a matchup as bad for Jade as Cetrion.

Nightwolf - Disadvantage
Superior damage, better footsies, an advancing mid launcher and reflect put Jade at odds. This is one matchup where Jade is better off staying close than trying to zone him.

@Espio
See you next patch. This shit is unplayable.

Last edited:

Edmund

Kitana & Skarlet
From my experience, Skarlet is a pretty even matchup. As a Skarlet main, I would say it is so slight the disadvantage, especially because Jade’s glow, if pulled off does eliminate everything except the tongue, and the slight nerf to the frames inn skarlet’s tele helped a little bit. It’s very much a life lead fight I believe

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
As far as i know Skarlet can't escape air boomerangs on reaction, besides that move alone when amplified is plus, Jade lands without recovery frame and everytime someone bypass the firinng range they have to punish jade in the air, so the MU is pretty dead even if no in advantage to jade.

Skarlet tentacle its not a projectile, at least not to what you espect to what a projectile is, and Glow cannot reflect certain phisical special moves, and this is not only related to jade, Nightwolf can't reflect tentacle too, and pretty much anything which fits the same category.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
As far as i know Skarlet can't escape air boomerangs on reaction,
No, but you can teleport Low Spark and normal glaive on reaction. Also if you react to the jump you can walk back and teleport or if Jade is close enough, hurry forwards, make her whiff and anti air her on the way down.

besides that move alone when amplified is plus, Jade lands without recovery frame and everytime someone bypass the firinng range they have to punish jade in the air, so the MU is pretty dead even if no in advantage to jade.
Yes, Jade is + on amped glaive and air glaive but 1 bar to be + on something you have no followups for isn't going to win against a superior zoner that can punish glow.

Skarlet tentacle its not a projectile,
This is one of the reasons she wins this matchup, other than the fact that she has valid combos unlike Jade's useless F2 launcher and worst KB damage

at least not to what you espect to what a projectile is, and Glow cannot reflect certain phisical special moves, and this is not only related to jade, Nightwolf can't reflect tentacle too, and pretty much anything which fits the same category.
Which is why Jade is absolutely dominated by every other zoner. It's funny that she's almost the only zoner who doesn't have a zoning tool that ignores glow.

From my experience, Skarlet is a pretty even matchup. As a Skarlet main, I would say it is so slight the disadvantage, especially because Jade’s glow, if pulled off does eliminate everything except the tongue, and the slight nerf to the frames inn skarlet’s tele helped a little bit. It’s very much a life lead fight I believe
You just need to lab the matchup and see for yourself. Skarlet wins this. If you lose you aren't punishing or getting outplayed.

Vhozite

Waiting on SF6
I think Highborn Kitana has a slight advantage over Jade. Her teleport isn't Scorpion tier but it's good enough that Jade must stay cognizant of. She also has safe (or +1) special cancels and slightly better mid options imo.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
I think Highborn Kitana has a slight advantage over Jade. Her teleport isn't Scorpion tier but it's good enough that Jade must stay cognizant of. She also has safe (or +1) special cancels and slightly better mid options imo.
I think that's still a 5-5 personally.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
You‘re pretty much the only one thinking it isn‘t
I'm pretty much the only one who actually labs Jade's matchups and isn't in fucking denial about how much she suffers for her prehistoric frame data.

When I piss off a Kabal player in this debate badly enough they come at me with arguments like "I beat a top players Jade with my Kabal so I know what I mean" and it's a nameless nobody beating a top player's Jade with a Kabal thinking it's a good argument against me lmao. And then the same player will argue that Jade is good because top players took her to ALMOST TOP EIGHT. Matchups do not account for player skill, they account for character tools.

I explain why Kabal beats Jade and then you and the others come with excellent refutes such as:
Me: Kabal wins because his zoning is evenly matched with Jade's but he absolutely dominates her within Sweep range, Nomad Dash is a game changer, his damage is vastly superior and his Fatal Blow just makes Jade cower in the back when it comes to that point in the match.
You guys: It's 5-5 because we all think so and we all think so that we all think so.

Last edited:

Vhozite

Waiting on SF6
I'm not sure how Kabal-Jade isn't in his favor. But i have an open mind and could maybe be convinced it's even. But advantage ED Jade? Hard no from me.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
I'm not sure how Kabal-Jade isn't in his favor. But i have an open mind and could maybe be convinced it's even. But advantage ED Jade? Hard no from me.
Nohow. Trust me. It's just this random shit parroted by some people who don't know frame data. One of them even told me, literally, that I "live in the lab and that is not where the game is played" :D :D :D

Ignore that shit. My mu chart is mostly accurate. Jax might be worse and Baraka might be better, I need to fight more high level players of those two.

Elias6999

Mournful Master
I honestly think Cassie and Jacqui matchups in Jade’s favor, she can bully them with her range well, and Glow is a pain in the ass for Cassie’s PewPew variation.

I really like how @GLoRToR is one of the few members who actively discusses tech and matchups. Though I think you should cut down a bit on the negativity and pessimism, because you really are one of the best contributors to Jade discussion, but your contributions are being overshadowed a bit.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
I honestly think Cassie and Jacqui matchups in Jade’s favor, she can bully them with her range well, and Glow is a pain in the ass for Cassie’s PewPew variation.

I really like how @GLoRToR is one of the few members who actively discusses tech and matchups. Though I think you should cut down a bit on the negativity and pessimism, because you really are one of the best contributors to Jade discussion, but your contributions are being overshadowed a bit.
I don't want to be liked, I want Jade to be a good character. I'll go up in arms against anyone who tries to stop her from being relevant this time around.

Elias6999

Mournful Master
I don't want to be liked, I want Jade to be a good character. I'll go up in arms against anyone who tries to stop her from being relevant this time around.
She’s pretty relevant though, we’ve seen that in multiple tournaments. I do think it’s odd however, that her matchups are so weird, but maybe diversity is a good thing.

I do want to ask you though, couldn’t the Jax matchup be slightly in her favor? Glow works very well when he is zoned out, and honestly I’ve been having success keeping him at bay by countering is advancing moves with B2.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
She’s pretty relevant though, we’ve seen that in multiple tournaments. I do think it’s odd however, that her matchups are so weird, but maybe diversity is a good thing.

I do want to ask you though, couldn’t the Jax matchup be slightly in her favor? Glow works very well when he is zoned out, and honestly I’ve been having success keeping him at bay by countering is advancing moves with B2.
That's not character relevance. Waz dropped her and KP could be playing Cetrion and roflstomping people. KP plays Edenians religiously and Jade is the better Edenian right now. If Kitana got buffed to top tier he'd drop Jade in a heartbeat. KP is godlike as a player.

Glow is irrelevant against Jax. If you activate it you're giving him 56 frames to move closer. Once Jax is in you're holding that F3 pressure and even his chip is considerable, nevermind if he manages to grab you and put you in the corner. That character has so much comeback potential that Jade's "chip-u-out" strategy requires insanely more effort than how much it takes for Jax to block and advance.

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink

95% of his posts are downplaying and spreading false information. How can anyone take that guy serious.

Blewdew

PSN: MaxKayX3
I'm pretty much the only one who actually labs Jade's matchups and isn't in fucking denial about how much she suffers for her prehistoric frame data.

When I piss off a Kabal player in this debate badly enough they come at me with arguments like "I beat a top players Jade with my Kabal so I know what I mean" and it's a nameless nobody beating a top player's Jade with a Kabal thinking it's a good argument against me lmao. And then the same player will argue that Jade is good because top players took her to ALMOST TOP EIGHT. Matchups do not account for player skill, they account for character tools.

I explain why Kabal beats Jade and then you and the others come with excellent refutes such as:
Me: Kabal wins because his zoning is evenly matched with Jade's but he absolutely dominates her within Sweep range, Nomad Dash is a game changer, his damage is vastly superior and his Fatal Blow just makes Jade cower in the back when it comes to that point in the match.
You guys: It's 5-5 because we all think so and we all think so that we all think so.
I mean just by the fact that you say her glow is punishable by nd by reaction tells me you don‘t lab at all lol

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
I mean just by the fact that you say her glow is punishable by nd by reaction tells me you don‘t lab at all lol
You just have to go into the lab, set Jade to activate glow and then hold block. Then see if ND punishes it. You might be surprised that 20 is a lower number than 56.
I know it's not easy to react to a character raising its hand and even glowing purple but if you practice it for a while you'll get it down and it will help a lot in the matchup.

Last edited:

Blewdew

https://testyourmight.com/threads/emerald-defender-match-up-tech-strategy-discussion.70328/page-5

I don't want to repeat myself everytime this topic is brought up, you can argue that the mu can be in a slightly favor for either jade or kabal, but you can't argue that glortor is an idiot

You just have to go into the lab, set Jade to activate glow and then hold block. Then see if ND punishes it. You might be surprised that 23 is a lower number than 56
in the lab I can also hitconfirm shao kahns f3, tech every throw and flawless block every string and jk. you can punish jades glow an a hard read, you can't punish it on reaction in an actual match. you also have to consider reaction time, which goes down alot just by jade having multiple options fullscreen to stop kabal from nd'ing and traveltime. I'd be happy if you proof me that you can do it in an actual match consistently on reaction.

Zer0_h0ur

XBL tag: South of Zero
I think emerald defender wins Noob Saibot DS match up and it's pretty close with SD. She eats up and controls the mid range the Noob tries to establish in neutral. Noob struggles against characters who have long reaching normals and strings imo

rainuS

Prince of Edenia
No way kabal wins this mu. ND means nothing while it has to be hard read not reaction she has better range on normalns and he doesnt deal big damage unless its KB. I would call it even maybe even in jade favor. Kabal struggles in this matchup.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
I don't want to repeat myself everytime this topic is brought up, you can argue that the mu can be in a slightly favor for either jade or kabal, but you can't argue that glortor is an idiot
So just because you have horrible reaction time and you can't do shit in a real match the matchup is automagically even and I'm an idiot.
You need to figure out what a matchup is, homeboy.

Blewdew

So just because you have horrible reaction time and you can't do shit in a real match the matchup is automagically even and I'm an idiot.
You need to figure out what a matchup is, homeboy.
yup, I'm totally ass just like everyone else who agree with me which is like 99% of the people. as I said, if you can proof that you're able to do it I'll be happy to be proven wrong. until then I'll gladly stay here and call you out on you're idiotic downplay.