What's new

Video/Tutorial - Thunder God Post 10-4 Patch Discussion

The Elder God lives on, but only as long as we keep him alive! Raiden gained some great things over this patch, but also lost a tad in the process with stamina and armor. Nothing to stress over, the meta is just a bit different now and we just have to adapt to what's happened.

Please discuss anything Thunder God related, in terms of the new patch, below. Earthrealm isn't going to protect itself!

Post Patch Pros:

• Raiden - BK, BK is now +2 on block (up from -5) and can now be special cancelled
  • Raiden - Down+FK is now -4 on block and adjusted the hit region
  • Raiden - Vicinity Burst now has 2 hits of armor, hits mid, is -2 on block (down from 0), does 9 damage (up from 5), and no longer knocks down
  • Raiden - Vicinity Blast now does 8 damage (up from 5) and has 10 less recovery frames
  • Raiden - Electrocute & Shocker now hit mid
  • Raiden - Thunder Fly & Air Thunder Fly now have 2 hits of armor
  • Raiden - Electric Fly & Thunder Fly (air & ground) now recover 15 frames faster on miss
Non TG Specific:
  • Raiden (Master of Storms) - Directional Static Trap startup and recovery is more consistent now
  • Raiden (Master of Storms) - Static Trap passive damage is now 0.5 (up from 0.2)
  • Raiden (Master of Storms) - Static Trap now activates in 14 frames (down from 16)
  • Raiden (Master of Storms) - Full Trap now activates in 11 frames (down from 12)
Post Patch Cons:

• Raiden - Thunder Strike & Shocker no longer has armor
  • Raiden - Vicinity Burst now has 2 hits of armor, hits mid, is -2 on block (down from 0), does 9 damage (up from 5), and no longer knocks down
  • No real option vs GM Sub and clones due to no armored move, outside of ex superman, to warrant sub to be afraid of unsafe clones.
  • Projectile game is still pretty limited as his startup and recovery are really slow, therefore trades are hardly in his favor and is interrupted or punished for trying to make a presence full screen.
  • Those who zone better, have safe/plus armored "get off me" tools are a threat to him no matter where on the screen while Raidens "get off me" tool is down from 0 to -2.
  • Works very hard for advantage frames that dont guarantee anything and has to make the right reads to stay remotely close to the opponent (i.e. safe/plus armored moves that can come at any moment)
  • Increased energy cost to start running to 25 (up from 15)
  • Increased energy cost to cancel into a dash (where applicable) to 25 (up from 15)
  • Getting hit while running will now drain 50 energy
Tutorial:
Below is the first episode of some of the Raiden changes, cancel bnbs, a bit of MU knowledge, and answers for situations like AAs, corner reverse, and optimal stamina/meter combos.

Episode 1 because you're gonna explain all TG's mu ? :eek:
I skipped the mos part (sorry) because I expected an integral TG video xD (and mostly because I don't intend to get knowledge about this variation :p).
I've just 1 thing to say that is a little mistake on your video : 2nd EX Ball was +16 on block before that patch, I don't know if it has been one day +22 but I can assure you it was like that before patch. In your video you made it sound like it was nerfed this october.

I remember getting unable to break goro's punchwalk before patch (it was still double armor), that's his best armor, not stomp EX ! But I'm not sure if we can really do it (memory trouble).
What you may want to know, since you said we probably can't take 11f double armor, we can punish SZ's slide double armor with the bf3 into b32 setup armor break. Didn't try with reptile though (best armor wake up in the game : 6f)

Good explanation about why you finish your midscreen combo with b112 instead of b14, now I know how to figure out which fields are good for Raiden

You didn't talk about the f12b2 [hold] f12b2 db1 EX setup which can armor break single armor wake up :/ Hope it will be here ep 2 !

Episode 1 because you're gonna explain all TG's mu ? :eek:
I skipped the mos part (sorry) because I expected an integral TG video xD (and mostly because I don't intend to get knowledge about this variation :p).
I've just 1 thing to say that is a little mistake on your video : 2nd EX Ball was +16 on block before that patch, I don't know if it has been one day +22 but I can assure you it was like that before patch. In your video you made it sound like it was nerfed this october.

I remember getting unable to break goro's punchwalk before patch (it was still double armor), that's his best armor, not stomp EX ! But I'm not sure if we can really do it (memory trouble).
What you may want to know, since you said we probably can't take 11f double armor, we can punish SZ's slide double armor with the bf3 into b32 setup armor break. Didn't try with reptile though (best armor wake up in the game : 6f)

Good explanation about why you finish your midscreen combo with b112 instead of b14, now I know how to figure out which fields are good for Raiden

You didn't talk about the f12b2 [hold] f12b2 db1 EX setup which can armor break single armor wake up :/ Hope it will be here ep 2 !
We went over PW armor and EX stomp. Finding those was just because we were going over those moves in a different matter. Figured might as well go over them in the corner too. Trust me, Goros use telestomp in the corner escape as well especially now that PW is punishable on block.

Thanks for watching, and yes... I plan to touch every MU to see changes and go over any new ways to go about MU's.

I see for PW, forgot it was punishable haha.
That setup break armor can be reactable, but you're right since people would stop to do PW in wake up by instinct

Still sad though that raiden's projectile is almost the shittiest in the cast :/